• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Marvel

could never
Completed story last night, amazing!

Now I'm moving on to trying to main Mileena, she's so much fun. I love her evil and demented little laugh when you bunny hop!

Something just feels off with my 2 PS4 controllers, combos will not connect right...Almost like a laggy feel. Anyone else having this issue or am I rusty as fuck?

Nyx

Something just feels off with my 2 PS4 controllers, combos will not connect right...Almost like a laggy feel. Anyone else having this issue or am I rusty as fuck?

Have you tried turning ''release check'' off in the controller settings ingame?

That really helps!

Marvel

could never
Thank you, I was not aware of such an option. What does it do exactly?

Will do specials upon the press of the button rather than after you release it. It does help :D turned it off yesterday myself and I am seeing a difference.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've been trying to put together some Quan Chi combos. I have a combo that I'm sticking to at the moment and one I'm possibly working on.

Warlock
f+2,1,2,2,f+1,4,skull

f+2,1,2,qcf+2(ex),dash,f+2,1,2,2,f+1,4,skull. < the qcf+2(ex) stuns, but I didn't see it actually combo.

I've been mixing up with skull + qcf+2 and his teleport stomp . I'd like to use his b+3,2,4.

I also want something higher than 22%.

Quick video of day one combo progression. Sorry if scrubby, first fighter in a while, and I kinda suck...

Day One Combo's

I haven't even tried Raiden yet. He has a lot of hits to his moves.

Just beat the story mode.

That single player campaign storyline was weak compared to the last one.

The dialogue and the way they used the characters was really poor.

I cannot believe there were no chapters for Liu Kang and Kung Lao either. The hell was that about?

Fmal

Banned
Got a couple of questions regarding how to deal with different things in combat

1. Currently I feel like most people I fight are telepaths and know exactly when I let go of my block button, and then begin hitting me before I can do anything. Is there some simple tips to not get hit so often before I can get a hit off myself?

2. Is there anything similar to teching grabs from SF4 in this? I am having a lot of trouble with getting grabbed when I block.

3. How do I deal with projectiles? They just seem ridiculously hard to do anything against other than block. Jumping over is possible, but the timing is so much tighter than in any previous fighter I've tried. And I remember fighting someone that had a character than threw 2 projectiles at a time, where the second one would always hit me out of the air.

1. Not really. Learn what your quickest starters are and use them to punish people who hit you with strings that leave them negative. This is just something that you learn by playing against other characters and getting to know what their combo cadences are.

2. It's a little different. Throws are basically a 50/50 mixup at best in this game. You have to hit 1 to tech front throws, and 3 to tech back throws (I might have that backward).

3. Most projectiles are highs, so you can crouch under them (not crouch-block though, for some reason crouch-blocking lets you get hit by highs). For the ones that hit mid or low, you can try to use a move to armor through it (a lot of characters have a dash punch or some other form of forward momentum. You could also just swap to one of the million teleporters in this game and punish them if they're not safe about spamming them.

Kotal Khan is pretty kool, though I kouldn't find many strings for him and instead relied mainly on df2 and db2 to generate damage. b32 is a decent combo, and 313 also seems alright. Not sure how to combo into his specials such as df2 and db2.

Lord Phol

Could someone give me some general tips about creating combos? I practiced a bit yesterday but the best thing I could do were around 20-30% that involved a basic string into a special. It also seems like some punch/kick strings aren't able to lead into specials, is that correct?

Trickster

1. Not really. Learn what your quickest starters are and use them to punish people who hit you with strings that leave them negative. This is just something that you learn by playing against other characters and getting to know what their combo cadences are.

2. It's a little different. Throws are basically a 50/50 mixup at best in this game. You have to hit 1 to tech front throws, and 3 to tech back throws (I might have that backward).

3. Most projectiles are highs, so you can crouch under them (not crouch-block though, for some reason crouch-blocking lets you get hit by highs). For the ones that hit mid or low, you can try to use a move to armor through it (a lot of characters have a dash punch or some other form of forward momentum. You could also just swap to one of the million teleporters in this game and punish them if they're not safe about spamming them.

Alright, thanks for the help :)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
does anyone have a 360 controller and a ps4 controller (using DS4windows) on your PC and knows how to make the PS4 the primary? I can use the trackpad as a mouse but nothing else, I assume because the 360 controller is still "player 1". I dont want to have to remove the 360 one tho, I use it for other games

Fmal

Banned
Could someone give me some general tips about creating combos? I practiced a bit yesterday but the best thing I could do were around 20-30% that involved a basic string into a special. It also seems like some punch/kick strings aren't able to lead into specials, is that correct?

Yeah, a lot of strings can't lead into specials.

Basically find a way to combo into a pop-up, find a way to combo the pop-up into something else.

Right now, for playing online and at locals, I have a few consistent combos (fast, low, and OH strings that lead into a special that knockdown) that I do when I have to safe, and a few combos that have tricky stuff like run canceling for when I want to get fancy.

does anyone have a 360 controller and a ps4 controller (using DS4windows) on your PC and knows how to make the PS4 the primary? I can use the trackpad as a mouse but nothing else, I assume because the 360 controller is still "player 1". I dont want to have to remove the 360 one tho, I use it for other games

Dunno if it's that related, but for me I don't even need to use DS4Windows to make my PS4 controller work. I just plug it in and it works (albeit with xbox button prompts). I assume having the PS4 controller connected before the xbox controller would make it the first player, but it might be something in a weird part of windows somewhere.

Played my first online match in MKX

I won

I used an easy fatality token

I am the best

Sub Zero yo

Thinking about it holy shit I can't believe I won. It was my first match after a 2 day hiatus(i've only been playing story), I went up against someone with 122/25 W:L ratio, and when I killed him I had about 5% life and he had half a bar, I managed to execute my XRay and then Slid for the win.

I dont think revenant jax is flawless kill related. I think hes Kustom Kombat related because when i got him, i was still on rank 7 of Flawless Victory and didnt level.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't realise easy fatality were tokens, I thought it unlocked forever.

Lord Phol

Yeah, a lot of strings can't lead into specials.

Basically find a way to combo into a pop-up, find a way to combo the pop-up into something else.

Right now, for playing online and at locals, I have a few consistent combos (fast, low, and OH strings that lead into a special that knockdown) that I do when I have to safe, and a few combos that have tricky stuff like run canceling for when I want to get fancy.

Thanks! I'll try this when I get home. gonna aim for one bigger pop-up combo and at least one of each you mentioned (fast, low and OH).
Just need to settle on a character :d, Cassie,Takeda and Kenshi are probably my favorites atm.

Nuszka

Just beat the story mode.

That single player campaign storyline was weak compared to the last one.

The dialogue and the way they used the characters was really poor.

I cannot believe there were no chapters for Liu Kang and Kung Lao either. The hell was that about?

What for it... What for it... Story DLC !!!

Fmal

Banned
Thanks! I'll try this when I get home. gonna aim for one bigger pop-up combo and at least one of each you mentioned (fast, low and OH).
Just need to settle on a character :d, Cassie,Takeda and Kenshi are probably my favorites atm.

No problem.

I don't know anything about those characters really, but I do know that I saw a Cassie do some filthy corner set-ups using her missile call-in thing. I think that character has a lot of potential.

A-V-B

Went for a fatality tonight.

Jax has a crisis of conscience.

Y8OLFvH.jpg

Watches Liu Kang feel dizzy for about 30 seconds.

Game gives up, goes, "uh, you win, fatality, I guess."

Jax continues watching Liu Kang as screen fades out.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm still just putzing around in training trying to figure out which char I like, making it a hard choice with the 3 variations.

Marvel

could never
I was goofing around trying to learn some stuff in an AI fight and I accidentally pulled off two of scorpy's Brutalities.

DqDcanL.jpg

Didn't get a shot of the teleport one though sadly, was badass. But I did get the footage, will upload to YT or make a GIF if people want to see them.

Teknoman

I was goofing around trying to learn some stuff in an AI fight and I accidentally pulled off two of scorpy's Brutalities.

DqDcanL.jpg

Didn't get a shot of the teleport one though sadly, was badass. But I did get the footage, will upload to YT or make a GIF if people want to see them.

Please do. Some of these brutalities are a little more satisfying than the actual fatalities.

Marvel

could never
Messin' with Scorpy

Nothing fancy because I'm still learning but featuring the two Brutalities I talked about. The 2nd Brutality is straight after the first :D

Shit don't know how to time it, it's at 2.50.

I like Kenshi alot. He's fun.

I played online for about an hour with a randomly met player, maybe I'm not pro enough but the online seemed just fine

SkylineRKR

I can't do Kotal's brutality in Sun God mode. Its the one you finish with his blade (d,f 2) after a 3 hit juggle. Doesn't trigger or are there requirements?

Top Bottom