• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat X |OT| This is NOT a Brutality. This is a FATALITY

Dr. Buni

So I was looking for D'Vorah combos and I have no idea what people mean by stuff like this: f11, ex df1, ji2, 212, db1, f34, b12, air grab.

Is there a glossary for Mortal Kombat competitive terms?

I think you just need to play a mid-screen punish game with Kotal. Look for whiff punishes and potentially bait into mace parries. Unless you go War God you don't really have a safe way to end strings, he's pretty unsafe on offense in Blood/Sun God.
It may just be the way I prefer to play not jiving with how he can be played. I'll take your pointers and research some more before I completely quit him. Thanks.

ShadowLag

So I was looking for D'Vorah combos and I have no idea what people mean by stuff like this: f11, ex df1, ji2, 212, db1, f34, b12, air grab.

Is there a glossary for Mortal Kombat competitive terms?

1, 2, 3, 4 correspond to the face buttons.

PS4: 1 = Square, 2 = Triangle, 3 = X, 4 = O
XB: 1 = X, 2 = Y, 3 = A, 4 = B

f = forward
d = down
df = down then forward, etc.
same with b for back, u for up

df2 = down then forward then triangle or Y, which would be Ice Ball for Sub-Zero, etc.

I'm assuming ji = jump in, so ji3 would be a forward jump kick.

1+3 or b+4 etc. etc. just means press them at the same time instead of in sequence.

EX means pressing R2 (PS4) or RT (XBox) while inputting a special move, to spend a bar of your super meter to power it up.

Hope this helps!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
If you have the GPU grunt to downsample the PC port is obviously going to look better. Otherwise, they're identical.

Just a bad port job by High Volatage, I guess, in my limited time with the versions.

Just a few things I've noticed so far, and not even taking into account the crashing issues (only happened to me once), the PC version is surprisingly limited in terms of graphical options, like only FXAA. And as Algebrah said, the PC version has things missing like walk animations on selection screen. Also the transistions from 60 fps to 30 fps is much more smooth on PS4.
For reference, this is the PS4 version:

http://gamingbolt.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/PS4.jpg

Dr. Buni

1, 2, 3, 4 correspond to the face buttons.

PS4: 1 = Square, 2 = Triangle, 3 = X, 4 = O
XB: 1 = X, 2 = Y, 3 = A, 4 = B

f = forward
d = down
df = down then forward, etc.
same with b for back, u for up

df2 = down then forward then triangle or Y, which would be Ice Ball for Sub-Zero, etc.

I'm assuming ji = jump in, so ji3 would be a forward jump kick.

1+3 or b+4 etc. etc. just means press them at the same time instead of in sequence.

EX means pressing R2 (PS4) or RT (XBox) while inputting a special move, to spend a bar of your super meter to power it up.

Hope this helps!
Oh, so f11 isn't f"11", but f X X. It does help a lot. Thank you!
png or bust. You linked a lossy format. <_<
The PC shot is .jpg too :p

Ont

I played my first 10 online games yesterday and I did not notice any lag (Xbox One UK).

However, it does not feel as smooth as playing Killer Instinct online, so hopefully they will change that netcode.

mdsfx

Anyone able to find alternate costumes in the "dark pass"? There's a hallway named that in shao Kahn's area, but the coordinates don't exist for the rsiden, kenshi, and liu kang costumes...

Moff

I spent enough time with this game to come to a final verdict. and I believe that this is by far the best mortal kombat, yet.
of course mk9 was the best before so I will just say what I think X does better.

first of all the variations really make a difference. the character had so many cool skills over the last 20+ years and this is a great way to involve as many as possible and give even new ones. the characters feel and play differently.

my favorite improvement over mk9 are the brutalities. first of all I love most of them because they are so simple, in my opinion most fatalities are just too much. you don't need to slice a guy, rip something out of him, behead him and then split the skull on the ground. keep it simple, it's more iconic, like in the classic mortal kombats. brutalities do that.
but the best thing they do is that they encourage you to play the game differently because of their requirements. you have a reason to not just pull of your usual routine. they also tie in with the new variations.

the gameplay is simply more varied and you are encouraged to use that variety, that's what makes MKX the better game.

I also love the faction system, invasions and the living towers because they provide so much random but worthwhile single player content.

at first I didn't like the game very much, mk9 was perfect fan service and perfect for me. I still don't like MKX's user interface, those flat white bars and letterings really don't do it for me. but in the end the other improvements make MKX easily the better game for me.

GravyButt

Ok guys I stink, how in the blue hell do you guys get 20-30 hit combos. I think my highes is 10 and that's because I got mad and started button mashing. Tips? Especially because my buddy and I are planning on playing online tonight and hes good at fighters. Ive got the specials all set, but usually I can only string a few jabs a kick and a special or two together. Thanks!

Dr. Buni

I didn't even know a 30 hits combo was possible. The max I can do is a 10~ hits one with Jacqui, but everyone can do that.

Also, I think I am never getting that "win 10 online matches in a row" achievement :~~

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I didn't even know a 30 hits combo was possible. The max I can do is a 10~ hits one with Jacqui, but everyone can do that.

Also, I think I am never getting that "win 10 online matches in a row" achievement :~~

Possible through private matches? I haven't touched online yet.

mdsfx

Public Service Announcement

The Prima Krypt guide is erroneous. Use the IGN guide!

Public Service Announcement

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned

No, it has to be ranked matches.

Ok. Don't know if its possible but I remember doing this with a friend on MK9 so we got matched up all the time through ranked. We only did it for the achievement. Can't remember what he did.

Anyone else get really distracted fighting on the stages with heavy rain and snow?

No, but I hate that one stage where the huge glowing purple portal appears.
That is super distracting, they need to tone that down.

I hope they do do stage DLC, I'm kinda burned out on most of them already.

Windforce

On the character bios screen on PS4 why "scroll text with L2/R2" even an option? None of the current characters info is long enough that it needs scrolling. All text is readable already!

GravyButt

Wait so 20-30 hit combos aren't normal? Seen a bunch of people online talking bout it and posting videos.

Ok makes me feel less bad!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Wait so 20-30 hit combos aren't normal? Seen a bunch of people online talking bout it and posting videos.

I think if you can string 6 - 9 hits together you'll do fine onlin,less even.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Except that they didn't do the PS4/Xbox One versions, only the PC version.

I know, it was a joke because thats the go to excuse for anything wrong with the game.

speaking of, what the FUCK at the character select screen single digits fps lol. game runs 60 during matches in every stage for me (except the 30fps "cutscene" stuff as we know) but the character select screen is like im playing on a toaster. of all the places for performance to take a dive? its so weird that its funny

Dr. Buni

Yeah, I wonder why the fps take such a huge hit in the CSS and in the cutscenes intros. Game runs flawlessly but goes to 20~30 fps in those occasions.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Yep character select is super choppy, no idea why it can't run at 60fps solid it's not exactly demanding, there was no need to lock it to 30fps.

bodine1231

It's character specific. Don't worry about the amount of hits,look at the damage percentage. My bread and butter combo for balanced Kenshi is only 13 hits but does 33% without meter. I also have a 13 hit 43% corner combo. Other characters do 20 hits with about the same damage because a special may have multiple hits in it.

Lord Phol

Yeah it's more about being efficient and doing damage and less about actual hits. If you find something that does good damage and you can pull of pretty well you should do fine :).

Trickster

What's the best way to deal with crazy teleport and zoning characters like Takeda, Scorpio, Mileena and Kenshi in this game? I've been playing Cassie, and feel like I have the most trouble agains't these kind of characters. Her own range move feels like it has super slow timeup, so whenever I try to use that agains't someone like those mentioned above, she just get's hit but something instead.

GravyButt

Oh wow awesome thanks guys! Ive been doing practice mode a lot. So far im digging kano kenshi takeda and kung jin. Kung jin bojutsu so far is my fav.

What's the best way to deal with crazy teleport and zoning characters like Takeda, Scorpio, Mileena and Kenshi in this game? I've been playing Cassie, and feel like I have the most trouble agains't these kind of characters. Her own range move feels like it has super slow timeup, so whenever I try to use that agains't someone like those mentioned above, she just get's hit but something instead.

That's the part I need to get better at. I need to relearn my fighting game fundamentals. I used to play SF4 and MK9 like a fiend but it's been so long. I think it's all about buffering your combo or your counter attack while blocking their string, you have to be quick so they don't get to back out of their attack after tryng to put the pressure on

Spuck-uk

Banned

For Teleporters, you block, then you punish the shit out of them.

For Zoners, you block and work your way in, or guess right and teleport/slide around.

drotahorror

Any reason to stick with a faction? Would rather swap to LK since they're gonna win this week. Already level 50 white lotus.

Also, will I lose my borders/icons/backgrounds etc if I drop WL?

Demoskinos

I really hope they change how the influence system works for the faction wars otherwise its just going to be useless with everyone jumping to lin kuei so they can win.

Trickster

For Teleporters, you block, then you punish the shit out of them.

For Zoners, you block and work your way in, or guess right and teleport/slide around.

I feel like teleporters land out of my range though, and something like scorpio's teleport seems to have very quick recovery

I really hope they change how the influence system works for the faction wars otherwise its just going to be useless with everyone jumping to lin kuei so they can win.

Yeah, I am kinda surprised that they seem to have ignored something so obvious when coming up with the faction system

Top Bottom