• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most complex antagonists ?

Filben

Kain in Soul Reaver (1 and 2). You rarely have these kind of antagonists.

I wish there was a game though with villains like Judge Holden from McCarthy's Blood Meridian or Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men. Truly terrifying.

Last edited:
Video Game Wtf GIF by Naughty Dog

Kain in Soul Reaver (1 and 2). You rarely have these kind of antagonists.

I wish there was a game though with villains like Judge Holden from McCarthy's Blood Meridian or Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men. Truly terrifying.
Speaking of LoK, I find it impressive that the game actually has no clear cut classic villian. Everyone is a shade of grey, wether is Kain, Raziel, Vorador, Moebius, Ariel, The Elder God... Such a well written universe. Shame it's lost to us, probably forever. Would love for the games to get at least a remaster so I don't have to plug in my PS2 every time...

Last edited:

Dazraell

Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Player character in Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
Kreia from KotOR2
Paul Serene from Quantum Break
Kain from Legacy of Kain series

Gojiira

The Boss wasn't really the antagonist though in MGS3 but Volgin.

Kain from LoK is spot on though and would also be my choice for best video game antagonist.
Thats why she is complicated, A hero acting the villain through to outright fighting the protagonist to the death is definitely a complex Antoganist.
Kain also skates the same fine line, being both villain and hero after a few retcons mind you.
But yeah Both are Antagonists.

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief and Nosiest Dildo Archeologist
The most complex for sure, and your summary of his shenanigans is on point, but you cannot say that he is right.
He basically doomed everything and everyone so he can ascend to the wave existence realm.
That's incorrect.

Krelian actually shifted the WE at the end to prevent it from destroying the planet.

There was supposed to be a Xenogears sequel, after all.

But yeah, along the way, he did commit a few atrocities. In his mind, probably, the ends justifies the means.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member
That's incorrect.

Krelian actually shifted the WE at the end to prevent it from destroying the planet.

There was supposed to be a Xenogears sequel, after all.

But yeah, along the way, he did commit a few atrocities. In his mind, probably, the ends justifies the means.
I beg your pardon good sir, but the wave existence, freed from Deus, transcend our plane of existence and go back home, with Krelian in tow.
It never wanted to destroy anything.
And Krelian masterplan was hitching a ride. It involved working behind the scenes for centuries so the uber driver was at the right place at the right time, but that might be because they don't have uber dimensions in xenogears universe.

I guess squenix execs wanted a sequel, but let's not forget that the wave existence powered all the gears in the world through deus (an enabled the use of magic if i'm not mistaken). With deus destroyed and the wave existence gone, no more gears or magic. Try to do fun combat without those two.

Edit : What i meant in my first message is that Krelian doomed everything and everyone with his behind the scene shenanigans, not by freeing the wave existence.

Last edited:
Top Bottom