• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorsports |OT| of Endurance Racing, Nascar, Rally, Sportscars, MotoGP, etc

Mastah

Loeb is a monster:

B7-seBwCcAELTSS.jpg:orig

B.K.

2015 will be Gordon's last fulltime year in NASCAR.

Damn.

I'm not really surprised. It was obvious that there was a pretty good chance of it happening when Rick Hendrick renewed Kasey Khane's contract for three more years. The plan is for Chase Elliott to move to Cup in 2016. That meant that either JR. Motorsports would move to Cup or that Jeff Gordon would retire. Chase Elliott will be driving the 24 NAPA car in 2016.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
this seems like as good a place to ask as any...

has anyone attended a rally event? specifically, rally america? i'm thinking about attending one this summer in mendicino ca. what can i expect? are there dedicated "zones" that you're allowed to spectate? race staging areas to meet drivers / see cars? terrific experience or dull and dusty? ok for family? etc.

I've been to a few, you can usually stand pretty much anywhere along the route but some areas are obviously more popular than others. If I'm honest, I found being on the normal courses a little boring (sort of thing you're best doing when you have a picnic and other things to keep you entertained), but the super special stages are pretty cool.

There are staging areas, and at some you get to watch the engineers working on the cars / cars lining up with the drivers in them for servicing etc. Generally you can get pretty close to the drivers.

I'd say kids would probably get bored with anything other than a SSS, and you wouldn't want to take kids that are to young to them as A: Motorsport is dangerous, especially rallying. B: Rally cars are seriously loud. Deafening when you're right next to them.

Can't speak for the US one. Sorry!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I've been to a few, you can usually stand pretty much anywhere along the route but some areas are obviously more popular than others. If I'm honest, I found being on the normal courses a little boring (sort of thing you're best doing when you have a picnic and other things to keep you entertained), but the super special stages are pretty cool.

There are staging areas, and at some you get to watch the engineers working on the cars / cars lining up with the drivers in them for servicing etc. Generally you can get pretty close to the drivers.

I'd say kids would probably get bored with anything other than a SSS, and you wouldn't want to take kids that are to young to them as A: Motorsport is dangerous, especially rallying. B: Rally cars are seriously loud. Deafening when you're right next to them.

Can't speak for the US one. Sorry!

thank you

xrnzaaas

It's sad how WRC is (almost) completely ignoring Robert Kubica's SS wins becuase he's a privateer and because he's using Pirelli tyres (WRC is "in good terms" with Michelin). :/ This situation makes me ask myself why I still follow racing series managed by FIA (what's happening in F1 is also one big mess with constant regulations changes and some teams getting more recognition and money than others).

Dilly

Banned
It's sad how WRC is (almost) completely ignoring Robert Kubica's SS wins becuase he's a privateer and because he's using Pirelli tyres (WRC is "in good terms" with Michelin). :/ This situation makes me ask myself why I still follow racing series managed by FIA (what's happening in F1 is also one big mess with constant regulations changes and some teams getting more recognition and money than others).

Not only his wins, but just in general. I didn't even know he crashed out in a stage and was left wondering why he was so far back in the rankings.

xrnzaaas

Their budget is probably small since they didn't even upgrade the car (its visual side) based on the new generation of the i20. Still, it's good that they're not giving up almost immediately like Mini did with Countryman WRC.

Dilly

Banned
Toyota back in WRC for the 2017 season.

Toyota has officially confirmed it will return to the World Rally Championship in 2017 with a Yaris WRC.

Toyota Motor Corporation president Akio Toyoda announced during a press conference in Tokyo on Friday that the world's biggest carmaker would end a WRC absence stretching back to the end of 1999.

The firm's motorsport arm - Cologne-based Toyota Motorsport GmbH - will develop the Yaris WRC for the next two seasons before its world championship debut.

The Tokyo press conference was the first time the Yaris WRC had been shown in public.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117506

1422592663.jpg

That Rallyaris doesn't speak to the imagination though.

xrnzaaas

Hm, but why 2017? Haven't they already been testing Yaris for about a year now? Anyway it's still good they're joining since only Volkswagen, Citroen and Hyundai take WRC seriously these days.

dubc35

Hm, but why 2017? Haven't they already been testing Yaris for about a year now? Anyway it's still good they're joining since only Volkswagen, Citroen and Hyundai take WRC seriously these days.

Definitely the more the merrier in WRC. I'd love to see Subaru and Mitsubishi rallying again in the WRC. I doubt that is ever going to happen though. :(

IndyCar....smh

Watevaman

So the exhaust exits from the hood of the GT-R LM? I wonder how the hot air affects the aero of the car, if at all. I remember reading an article years ago about how MotoGP designs have the exhaust situated in a way that it vents the hot air without creating too much turbulence or something, so I figure it might be the same for this car.

So the exhaust exits from the hood of the GT-R LM? I wonder how the hot air affects the aero of the car, if at all. I remember reading an article years ago about how MotoGP designs have the exhaust situated in a way that it vents the hot air without creating too much turbulence or something, so I figure it might be the same for this car.
It's used to actually provide downforce, same as F1 cars were doing until recently with blown diffusers.

Qualifying is on now!

Though my stream is misbehaving, the colour balance is all out. The sky is orange.
That's because it's Australia.

It's a little known fact, but besides the seasons and the spin direction of toilet bowls, the colors in Australia are also backwards. This wasn't a big deal in the pre-technology days, since your eyes adjust to the new colors after a while (correcting orange to blue, etc). But now in the modern era of photography and live broadcasts, they have to color correct in real time for images going from Australia to the US/Europe and vice versa. But with streams over the internet, they sometimes misidentify your IP location and get the region (and thus the color) wrong!

I probably took this too far.

Top Bottom