• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

ChryZ

The sensation of speed is amazing in this game. Yeah, bonnet/hood view for life.

Custom soundtrack owns so much since it's continuously, unlike the in-game soundtrack that stops while loading.

Ploid 3.0

I must admit, I played motorstorm 1 mostly in 3rd person view. I can't imagine playing MS2 that way now. Not only is the sense of speed better, but it's great for fine controling/seeing every obstacle.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ploid 3.0 said:
I must admit, I played motorstorm 1 mostly in 3rd person view. I can't imagine playing MS2 that way now. Not only is the sense of speed better, but it's great for fine controling/seeing every obstacle.
Absolutely.

Ploid 3.0 said:

For reals.
I coudn't stand bonnet cam view in Motorstorm 1 at all but in Motorstorm 2 its the only way to play.
I do wish they put the look back button on the L3 button rather than the R3 though. IMO.

glaurung

Hood camera works well with bigger trucks and racing cars.

I would still use the default camera for bikes and ATVs - you can see who's creeping up on you and more fiddly handling stuff, especially during big jumps.

Based on the praise in this thread (and my personal enjoyment of the original), I picked this game up. Amazing! They really did take all my issues with the first one and correct them while simultaneously increasing the sense of speed and the graphics. This is what I expect from a sequel.

I am still early in the game, but so far the tracks seem to be a bit shorter (I really enjoyed Grizzly), but some of the sections are just jaw dropping and intense. As I unlock more tickets will I have to race more laps? 2 seems really short on some of the tracks.

GodofWine

Life is getting much harder in level 5....beach comber with a 3:15 time limit and a buggy was a bear...finally golded it...I do not move on until I get gold...its a curse.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GodofWine said:
Life is getting much harder in level 5....beach comber with a 3:15 time limit and a buggy was a bear...finally golded it...I do not move on until I get gold...its a curse.
Praise the lord, have mercy on his soul.

Razorback, rank 7

crispyben

wouwie said:
I don't remember exactly (winning this race once was enough so i didn't repeat it) but i think i stayed left the whole time. I might have taken the middle last bit by going under the wooden "wall" (there is an opening). Just before the finish, you can go right again (in between trees) and avoid the water by riding at the edge of it. But don't hate me if i didn't remember correctly :)

I did try a lot by taking the jump you describe but i then kept right all the way to the finish. That didn't work.
Do you use this route for Kanaloa Bay race, Rank 7, 3 laps, bike?

2vc82nd.jpg

crispyben said:
Do you use this route for Kanaloa Bay race, Rank 7, 3 laps, bike?

2vc82nd.jpg

This stage is soo bloody hard.
My brain exploded, I can't figure out a clean enough line towards the end, and I run out of boost about 2 seconds before hitting the finish line and get passed by some bastard rally car.
I want the Gold God Dammit!!

wouwie

I rechecked. I did win gold on that particular level. I think that this was the route i took in the end.

2vc82nd.jpg

The most important part is the last stretch. up to the finish. There are two puddles of water (one small, then a bit bigger). Avoid these at all cost. you can do that by going inbetween the trees. just before the finish, then keeping at the left side of the water, over the finish.

Dibbz

Finally took some pics. This game is amazing and much better than the first. Some tracks are just so damn good looking. Here's some pics that I finally got round to take.

3060305548_abef2d674b_o.jpg

3060305552_c2e31fcaef_o.jpg

3060305554_da9d831aed_o.jpg

3060305558_62d71b1c6d_o.jpg

3060305566_63e8a72f4f_o.jpg

:lol at this guy who decided to take a walk during the race. Seriously he was walking across the road and I crashed because of him :|
3060305562_7ca070c4ab_o.jpg

agm2502

I still can't decide if this is harder than the first Motorstorm, I am finding it a lot harder to memorise the tracks in this game than I did in the first. Graphics are really good, its the only game I've played that my g/f has commented on how good the graphics are.

crispyben

I have one event left in each zone, but gave up on all golds for now, I just want to fill the row :D I was a bit let down by getting only the credits when reaching 8500 points... This game still retains an element of fun, even when the events are hard as hell! You just have to make do with bronze, that's all.

I have found the perfect line to get first in that paradise bay lvl 7 bike level.
Check it!

There are 2 consecutive bridges towards the end, jump off the second bridge and direct your motorbike towards these trees, you can boost all the way to the end.
mspr11.jpg

Stay close to the rocks to the right here , your boost will cool down enough and you wont lose speed as there is an elevated section/very shallow water, and you should hit or stay in 1st spot all the way to the end.
mspr12.jpg

Enjoy.

Cesar

Banned
When do you unlock the "Dinosaur" monstertruck etc.? I earned all the 8500 points (not completed all races though) and still haven't unlocked many of the vehicles that the other drivers were using during the races.

crispyben

CurlySaysX said:
I have found the perfect line to get first in that paradise bay lvl 7 bike level. Check it!

There are 2 consecutive bridges towards the end, jump off the second bridge and direct your motorbike towards these trees, you can boost all the way to the end.
Thanks! Are these bridges on the right or the left path?

I'm down to two bronze medals, otherwise it's all silver and gold, yeah!

crispyben said:
I have one event left in each zone, but gave up on all golds for now, I just want to fill the row :D I was a bit let down by getting only the credits when reaching 8500 points... This game still retains an element of fun, even when the events are hard as hell! You just have to make do with bronze, that's all.

It's to the left.
Just before the last bridge turn Right

sensi97

Cesar said:
When do you unlock the "Dinosaur" monstertruck etc.? I earned all the 8500 points (not completed all races though) and still haven't unlocked many of the vehicles that the other drivers were using during the races.
If I remember correctly, you get it with the "Race Fan" trophy : "Take part in 250 races"

Jim

After like 30 hours, the Festival is done. Almost all golds, with 5 or 6 silvers left. I golded all the speed events though. My fav arcade racing game of the generation.

Still playing online though. Man, the starts are brutal. I get spun around and decimated 3/4 of the time. Surviving the crunch is the key to doing well.

alterno69

Banned
After borrowing Resistance 2 from a friend i think i'll skip it and get M2 instead, i liked the first one and this one seems to be better in every aspect :D

GodofWine

Im entering lvl 6 with all golds...some of the events are now taking me dozens of tries to get gold...but this struggle is making me a much better online player.

This is probably my favorite game in my collection right now, its just so damned full of good stuff.

Pallaris

Woo, 96 gold medals finally. For some of the rank 7/8 races I recommend d/l some ghosts from the time trial leader-boards for the specific vehicle to find your best way round (which usually means you'll be quicker than the AI by a hair, avoiding much bullshit in the process)

There is only one race (rank 7 razorback racing truck event) that seemed impossible to me initially.

Btw with the ranked match making is there any way to prevent being dumped back to the lobby? Right now i'm having to wait about a minute to find a game, then a further 3 or so minutes for everyone to get their shit together before the race starts, then a good minute waiting after the race ends for results/exiting race then i'm dumped back to the lobby and I have to do it all over again. Are there no such things as ranked servers or 'rooms' where you can keep racing after one ends? or does it purely try to match your skill lvl with others each time you race hence the matchmaking? (I may be missing something)

Jim

GodofWine said:
Im entering lvl 6 with all golds...some of the events are now taking me dozens of tries to get gold...but this struggle is making me a much better online player.

I was in the same boat until the same point and then :lol. 7/8 are brutal. Racing online is so relaxing in comparison, even if you lose.

Pallaris said:
Are there no such things as ranked servers or 'rooms' where you can keep racing after one ends? or does it purely try to match your skill lvl with others each time you race hence the matchmaking? (I may be missing something)

On the lobby screen, you can build a party by inviting friends (R1), and then you can launch together. But with regular matchmaking, it doesn't seem like you can do anything of the sort.

Pallaris

Oh thanks for clearing that up. I wonder why they decided to set it up like that. Seems more geared to playing with a group of m8's...it's just a pain to get into ranked games at the mo.

G-Bus

Banned
yeeeeeesh. It's like when you hit rank 7 they want you to smash your controller and snap the disc. I'll be in first, last lap, close to the finish line and 2nd place will come up and take me out with him.

Ranked online needs a tournament mode or something so we can do races back to back.

Orobi

sensi97 said:
If I remember correctly, you get it with the "Race Fan" trophy : "Take part in 250 races"

Yes, got it yesterday night! :)
Greatest racing game of this generation! Only a word: intense.

ChryZ said:
The sensation of speed is amazing in this game. Yeah, bonnet/hood view for life.

Custom soundtrack owns so much since it's continuously, unlike the in-game soundtrack that stops while loading.
Yes great news I really liked that feature in SSHD. Wipeout HD doesn't have that feature and it did get kind on annoying when the music stoped while loading.

InterMoniker said:
Yes great news I really liked that feature in SSHD. Wipeout HD doesn't have that feature and it did get kind on annoying when the music stoped while loading.
Yup. Especially since I'm into DNB, those kind of songs are all like 6-7 minutes or longer, while the tracks only take about 3 minutes to complete.

Can someone please inform me why when racing online people will continually 'wire-frame' and not be penalized for it? It breaks the game.

Today online I was catching up to this one guy. But then he starts wire-framing, and continually gets placed farther and farther ahead WHILE STILL DRIVING FORWARD AT TOP SPEED!

This shit has become ridiculous.

Is it a glitch? A cheat? Someone please just explain it to me so I know what I'm looking at and maybe I won't get so frustrated by it.

When you crash and reset, your car turns into a white frame until you officially restart. I don't know if 'wire-framing' is the correct term for it, just the best I could come up with. It's what happens when you hit select.

Got an email today from Best Buy that says if you buy the game there you get a $10 gift card. I was going to buy it anyway (got a gift card over the weekend) but this will let me get Chrono Trigger for $30 instead of $40.

GodofWine

CartridgeBlower said:
Can someone please inform me why when racing online people will continually 'wire-frame' and not be penealized for it? It breaks the game.

Today online I was catching up to this one guy. But then he starts wire-framing, and continually gets placed farther and farther ahead WHILE STILL DRIVING FORWARD AT TOP SPEED!

Is it a glitch? A cheat? Someone please just explain it to me so I know what I'm looking at and maybe I won't get so frustrated by it.

Yes, this...this pisses me off like crazy...I see people go transparent and keep moving at full speed...whenever I hit select to replace myself on track I 'wireframe' but start from a standstill...

My new theory is that those people are not actually crashing but its lag / the online putting them where they really are supposed to be and that on other peoples screens they are seeing me do it too without me knowing it...but thats just a guess.

Yoshichan

I'm so mad right now, I want to stab a knife inside my heart...

So frustrating... don't know what to do anymore...

acm2000

i just got motorstorm:pr for £8 :lol

went in CeX to buy the first game since my ps3 hasnt been turned on 9in over a month, noticed the guy grab the first motorstorm disc from the shelf, it was yellow, clearly said pacific rift, but he slapped it in the box anyway, awesome! lol

tzare

Hi, anyone knows how do i make 'an impressive Barrel Roll' to get the Tumbler trophy? I don't know what to do XD

GodofWine

tzare said:
Hi, anyone knows how do i make 'an impressive Barrel Roll' to get the Tumbler trophy? I don't know what to do XD

The track where you start and go straight for a little, and then make a sharp right hand turn down a steep decline...(its in the air zone)...I got it there..try to crash into a small rock or another car as you turn that corner and if you do, you will tumble down the entire side of the mountain.

I was pissed while I was tumbling screaming at it to STOP TUMBLING and get back to the race..then it popped up a trophy and I was made happy again. :D

Jim

tzare said:

The whole time I thought it was performing a "successful" and impressive barrel roll. You know, landing back on your wheels. I did plenty of them.

It really means when you wipe out and just continue rolling for a bit (as mentioned above). If you skip it quickly to get back on the track ASAP, you won't get it usually.

sensi97

CartridgeBlower said:
Can someone please inform me why when racing online people will continually 'wire-frame' and not be penalized for it? It breaks the game.

About this wire-frame issue, sometimes I lag badly (wireless PS3) and then, suddenly I see all the other vehicles stop or run in circle with the overboosting sound (you know the 7-8 anoying beeps before exploding). Basically I race alone until the finish line.
Maybe that's how (wireframed) other players see me when I'm in this weird lagging status.

P.S. Usually I got disconnected before the end of the race or at the leaderboard screen and I loose points (3-5%)

tzare said:

or in the track with the oil tanker to the right just after the shower, hit the tanker directly and you'll go flying into the air spinning like crazzzzzzy.. eg.

mspr4.jpg

Top Bottom