• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Truant said:
I got this for free, and I still feel ripped off. Maybe I just suck at the game, but I didn't have fun at all :(

Complaining about a free game? Wow. Also, you certainly suck at it because it's great fun.

CurlySaysX said:
or in the track with the oil tanker to the right just after the shower, hit the tanker directly and you'll go flying into the air spinning like crazzzzzzy.. eg.

mspr4.jpg

:O

ChryZ

Finished the first 10 races in each "class". Best off-road arcade racer of the year. The track design is top notch. Motorstorm1 was great, but PR kicks it in the balls.

GodofWine

Truant said:
I got this for free, and I still feel ripped off. Maybe I just suck at the game, but I didn't have fun at all :(

Go to a Doctor, tell them you are having an impaired response to pleasure, 4mg of Deprenyl every other day will fix this. This game is as far from 'not fun' as a game can be.

Orobi

I'm at level 6, most fun and intense racing game of the next generation!!!
Tonight I will try to win some gold medal :D

Other fantastic shots I found ont the net:
MSPR_Darkos87_7.jpg

MSPR_WormsQ_2.jpg

MSPR_WormsQ_1.jpg

MSPR_WormsQ_4.jpg

MSPR_pplakke_1.jpg

MSPR_WormsQ_10.jpg
:lol :lol :lol

The light.... :O
MSPR_Odogg21_2sml.jpg

MSPR_Odogg21_1sml.jpg

MSPR_Odogg21_13sml.jpg

MSPR_Odogg21_4sml.jpg

msprmeermikey4ij4.jpg

MSPR_Husaria_29.jpg

I'm just hitting some of the 7 and 8 level ranked matches, gold everything, but wow...frustrating doesn't begin to cover it.

Have people found real strategies to these higher ranked races, or is it just about playing enough times until you finally get that one lucky race where you end up 1st. Because that's how I've gotten a couple. But I don't know if I can stand it any longer to keep doing that.

I'm going to try to study the best routes that people have put up for certain races.

Anyone else got any more tips?

I really don't want it to just be "do X amount of times and hope you don't crash or get fucked."

Thrakier

This game is SO genious (although I can't be bothered to try to get gold on 7 and 8, but up to this point I had a lot of fun, now I just switch to online). It's a SHAME that at gamerankings and metacritics the game ranks lower than MS1. It just shows that you can't take the gaming press serious - did they plat the game at all or did they just say "nah, it's MS, so let's give it an 8". WTF?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This is by far my GOTY, and easily the racing game of this generation. Certainly one of the best racing game ever made. I have no words to say how incredible this game is, it's a visceral experience like no other.

To reviewers that gave it a 7 or a B-: what were you thinking?!????

Gibb

marc^o^ said:
This is by far my GOTY, and easily the racing game of this generation. Certainly one of the best racing game ever made. I have no words to say how incredible this game is, it's a visceral experience like no other.

This is what I fail to comprehend as well.. this game is BIG fun so far.. and the mayhem.. OMG! Please tell me the online part is fun too?

BatmanX

Gibb said:
This is what I fail to comprehend as well.. this game is BIG fun so far.. and the mayhem.. OMG! Please tell me the online part is fun too?

Game is really great, I'm having so much fun playing in single, too bad there are few friends of mine who've bought it.

Evolution studios really shines at racing games, I hope the bad sales didn't have impact on their awesome team. The only thing missing to me in Pacific rift is real time weather changing just as pgr4 or still better in waverace bluestorm.

Btw one of my picks of the year definitely, and probably the most under rated game of the gen

Thrakier

marc^o^ said:

Nothing! To imagine that someone would buy MS1 instead of MS2 because the metacritics score for MS1 is better is a BAD JOKE. In a way, it makes me angry, because this is clearly on of the 2008 top games but the gaming press failed completly. WTF @ US OPM giving the game a 6 out of 10? Seriously?

acm2000

ive grown bored of this game after like 10 races :/ will go back and give it another chance at some point, spend most your time racing on your own cause the field is spread out so much

decon

Been playing this for 4 days now and it's freaking awesome. Wipeout HD, Burnout and this are the best racers this year. Sony should really push this one, 4 player split screen is a rare thing nowadays!

I finally picked this up yesterday and played quite a bit. This is a great game! The graphics are just amazing, like a cross between racing through a crysis jungle and uncharted level. Some scenery is just jaw dropping. Gameplay is good, but I can see the AI getting cheap on harder levels already. Wrecks are more satisfying than the last 2 burnouts.

I do wish there was a replay option though. Even still I am hooked. Track design is very good but slighty hard to know where to go sometimes the first time you race a level. I just love the monster trucks, and 4 wheelers. Photo mode is a lot of fun as well, i'll try and get some posted. I already am using one of the pic's I took as my PS3 wallpaper. :D

Dunno why I waited so long to get it, but glad I finally did. Best racing game this year, imo.

It's a shame that the game isn't getting more attention. The reviews were undeservedly low when this game is everything the original MotorStorm should have been and more. It's great fun and more satisfying than before. Anyone who liked the previous MotorStorm in the least or anyone who likes action racing should get it already.

Philanthropist said:
It's a shame that the game isn't getting more attention. The reviews were undeservedly low when this game is everything the original MotorStorm should have been and more. It's great fun and more satisfying than before. Anyone who liked the previous MotorStorm in the least or anyone who likes action racing should get it already.

Totally agree. If you like burnout, sega rally, or any arcade style racing game you need to check this out. I am surprised at the low scores as well, seems like they addressed all the concerns from the first game. It might be blasphemous of me to say this but I am enjoying it more than Little Big Planet. Wish I would have held off on that one and gotten this earlier!

GodofWine

SuperEnemyCrab said:
It might be blasphemous of me to say this but I am enjoying it more than Little Big Planet. Wish I would have held off on that one and gotten this earlier!

I agree...once I got MSPR I stopped playing LBP too. And there is a replay option, right after the race it says retry / continue, click retry.

tzare

i reaaaaaaaally love this game. Best racer in ages. I hope it sells well, because reviews haver really gone hard on it, very underated.
I doubt we will see a third one this gen, i really don't know what they can do better to justify another sequel, technically only a little polish here and there (some textures, some popping) that is not adding more tracks or game modes, which can be done via DLC esasily.

When is DLC coming? They said they had some free stuff already. This game can be endless if they support it with a couple of tracks every 3 months or so.Just like Burnout.

i was even surprised that in the 1up yours podcast, hey they've been playing MSPR :) and it wasn't shane XD
C'mon garnett, if you are a racing games fan, you can not miss this game and keep playing NFS XD

crispyben

GodofWine said:
I agree...once I got MSPR I stopped playing LBP too. And there is a replay option, right after the race it says retry / continue, click retry.
Same here. I think he meant a video replay, though...

I would KILL for a video replay feature as DLC.

One race in particular, the first six racers all finished within one second of each other. Luckily I finished first, but I would have loved to have had a video of that insane finish. We all had a time of 2:49:XX.

Great, great game.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
About DLC, I want Dust Devil back. This was my favorite track in Motorstorm, with the Buggie it felt so good.

I love this game.

Gibb

One question I got to ask:

The opening cinematic.. is that in-game? If so then WOW!

I believe it was for the first MS.. but correct me if wrong.

Orobi

Gibb said:
One question I got to ask:

The opening cinematic.. is that in-game? If so then WOW!

I believe it was for the first MS.. but correct me if wrong.

No, it's footage from Hawaii tour devs takes to shot tracks and environments. You can check two great documentary (700mb each) on the Eu PS Store :D

The second part of the opening cinematic is comprised of in-game footage though.

I just reached rank 8 yesterday. Damn, those are going to be tough races.

Gibb

Orobi said:
No, it's footage from Hawaii tour devs takes to shot tracks and environments. You can check two great documentary (700mb each) on the Eu PS Store :D

I see.. this shot made me wonder:

MSPR_Odogg21_2sml.jpg

wouwie

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Totally agree. If you like burnout, sega rally, or any arcade style racing game you need to check this out. I am surprised at the low scores as well, seems like they addressed all the concerns from the first game. It might be blasphemous of me to say this but I am enjoying it more than Little Big Planet. Wish I would have held off on that one and gotten this earlier!

Generally speaking, the scores for this game weren't that low. It received solid 8's for the most part, i think. I have the impression that a lot of people expected a more substantial upgrade from the first one and thus were a bit dissapointed. I didn't play the original so i was unbiased to begin with. I think it's a case of too high expectations. Put those expectations aside, and you end up with a very fun, good looking, thrilling arcade racer.

sol_bad

Does anyone have any tips for the class 8 race Ring of Fire? It's the race where you pick either the Big Rig or Monster Truck. You also have the time trial challenge of 4 minutes 40 seconds.
I can't get gold and I can't beat the time trial challenge for the life of me.

I went back and played the first Motorstorm today, and it was shocking to see how different it felt. There really is much less weight to the cars, and the ground/environment doesn't seem to matter as much when driving. It was like I was driving on a really smooth road the whole race -- the exact opposite of PR where you feel every bump and dip in the road. Almost felt like a beta compared to the sequel.

If you don't think this game is a big improvement over the first, I suggest going back and playing the first one again. Really makes the difference in psychics and quality much more noticeable.

Someone please tell me how to get gold on Beach Bomber Rank 7 (the one with the mudplugger). I'm about to snap a controller. Every time I'm first on the last lap, but the game always beats me on that final turn. What the fuck...

Flunkie

Banned
Orobi said:
I'm going to go download those, pronto. I loved.. LOVED the opening movie. :)

Anyone got help on Rank 8 races? It seems like I run the perfect lines, never crash, and I still get 4th or 5th.

This game's A.I. is its one downfall. You HAVE to play it the way it wants you to play it. Otherwise you have no chance. Ridiculous. As much as I like this game, it's caused me more frustration than any game I can remember. Really shoddy stuff.

sol_bad

Cmon there are heaps of you guys that love this game. Surely you have some tips for us guys. Rank 8 race, Ring of Fire with the 4:40 time challenge.

Someone please tell me you racing line and when to boost.

Thank you

drugo

CartridgeBlower said:
Anyone got help on Rank 8 races? It seems like I run the perfect lines, never crash, and I still get 4th or 5th.

This game's A.I. is its one downfall. You HAVE to play it the way it wants you to play it. Otherwise you have no chance. Ridiculous. As much as I like this game, it's caused me more frustration than any game I can remember. Really shoddy stuff.

I finished MPR at level 8 without big problems, intensive AI. :D

FUCK THIS SHIT!

Fuck Elimination Rank 7 with the bike/atv. It's not even funny anymore!

EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. I lose by a good 1.5 seconds. Every time! I change my route, I change my vehicle, NOTHING WORKS.

It's almost as if the broken game is programmed to always beat me by that much, no matter what. I don't crash, I don't hit anything, I save my boost perfectly...yet every fucking time I lose by the EXACT SAME AMOUNT. I can even be in first on that final turn, but then the game sneaks up and blazes by me.

I can't take this shit any longer. A.I. this generation has been a fucking joke.

BatmanX

Orobi said:

Yes I second that, I really suggest everyone's who's playing the game to check the documentary, they looks like they having the best job in the world :D

Click

Banned
Once this game goes on sale, I'm getting it (please, please Amazon, make it happen!). And maybe a Christmas present for my cousin too...

Click said:
Once this game goes on sale, I'm getting it (please, please Amazon, make it happen!). And maybe a Christmas present for my cousin too...

What? Where do you live? It's been out for a month already. If you haven't got it in your region, just order it from any worldwide online store.

Top Bottom