• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Click

Banned
Philanthropist said:
What? Where do you live? It's been out for a month already. If you haven't got it in your region, just order it from any worldwide online store.
:lol

Not "for sale," "on sale." Meaning, I want to get it for cheaper than the retail price.
Yeah, yeah, it's probably "worth" the $60, but I don't have that kind of cash right now. Bought too many games, Blu-ray, and books the past month.

Just ordered this so might see you guys online soon. Can't wait to try it out as you lot seem to be very pleased with it!

If anyone in the UK is looking for a cheap copy I got mine from www.shopto.net for £19.99 - it's on sale at that price so not sure how long for, Resistance 2 and LBP are that price too!

Ploid 3.0

CartridgeBlower said:
Ploid, that's exactly it. It is an abusive relationship. This game is throwing me around like crazy, but I just can't walk out on it. The sex is too good.

lol sorry about laughing but that was a good one. I'm not yet at the beating up part but I should be soon, then I'll be in the same situation.

Click

Banned
OK, just found out on CAG that Motorstorm is $32 (new) at certain Blockbusters.
It's also going to be $40 at Best Buy for a week, starting this Sunday 12/14.

EXACTLY what I was waiting for!! Not even going to wait for Amazon anymore.

Click said:
:lol

Not "for sale," "on sale." Meaning, I want to get it for cheaper than the retail price.
Yeah, yeah, it's probably "worth" the $60, but I don't have that kind of cash right now. Bought too many games, Blu-ray, and books the past month.

Yeah, I got that later :D

Twicenightly said:
If anyone in the UK is looking for a cheap copy I got mine from www.shopto.net for £19.99 - it's on sale at that price so not sure how long for, Resistance 2 and LBP are that price too!

How reliable are they? I wanted to order Dead Space and another game (and still get them cheaper than a fully priced game) but when I entered my credit card details, they said they would charge a 1 pound fee to check my card was valid, then refund it, but then in my bank's processor it said 100 pounds. Not 1.00 or 1,00, but 100 GBP. Some of their prices are crazy cheap, so for now I backed off because I thought there could be some kind of scam, but on the other hand it would have been so obvious and everyone would know by now. Can you confirm whether they just actually charge and refund 1 GBP?

Philanthropist said:
How reliable are they? I wanted to order Dead Space and another game (and still get them cheaper than a fully priced game) but when I entered my credit card details, they said they would charge a 1 pound fee to check my card was valid, then refund it, but then in my bank's processor it said 100 pounds. Not 1.00 or 1,00, but 100 GBP. Some of their prices are crazy cheap, so for now I backed off because I thought there could be some kind of scam, but on the other hand it would have been so obvious and everyone would know by now. Can you confirm whether they just actually charge and refund 1 GBP?

They are very reliable, I've used them loads. Not sure about that charging the credit card £1 thing but I seem to remember them doing that.

Every time I've ordered from them they have despatched the same day and I've received the game the next day (they send by recorded delivery) and if a game is released on a Friday you will normally get it the day before (sometimes even on the Wednesday)

I have been to their office too (I went last Xmas to pick up a Wii) and they're a pretty friendly bunch.

Having said all that my Motorstorm never turned up today, I assume because of the whole Royal Mail/Xmas overload :-(

Twicenightly said:
They are very reliable, I've used them loads. Not sure about that charging the credit card £1 thing but I seem to remember them doing that.

Every time I've ordered from them they have despatched the same day and I've received the game the next day (they send by recorded delivery) and if a game is released on a Friday you will normally get it the day before (sometimes even on the Wednesday)

I have been to their office too (I went last Xmas to pick up a Wii) and they're a pretty friendly bunch.

Having said all that my Motorstorm never turned up today, I assume because of the whole Royal Mail/Xmas overload :-(

Great info, thanks :D

sol_bad said:
Cmon there are heaps of you guys that love this game. Surely you have some tips for us guys. Rank 8 race, Ring of Fire with the 4:40 time challenge.

Someone please tell me you racing line and when to boost.

Thank you

This? I used the big rig. Save the boost when you're going down the hill, and use it whenever you see it slow down. In the first half of the lap, use the lower path. In the second half, use the middle path, which you take to the right after the first shower. Pretty much keep going straight without going through any other showers (not that there are any in that path, but avoid the one before the goal as well). I managed to win it with a gold and a 4:38 time, and I obtained the untouchable silver trophy too :D

Just completed the GAME!! Gold everything!
Fuck YEAH!!!
Definitely the greatest game that i've ever played.
10/10
I will have to try out online next.

sol_bad said:
Cmon there are heaps of you guys that love this game. Surely you have some tips for us guys. Rank 8 race, Ring of Fire with the 4:40 time challenge.

Someone please tell me you racing line and when to boost.

Thank you

I struggled with this track.
The best advice was to download some ghost maps and copy their racing line, once you've got the best line and are able to keep up to the ghost you should easily be able to beat it.
I beat this track by using the dinosaur Monster Truck.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Congrats man. In Rank 8, still trying to gold all races. I have left that one race that shall not be mentioned cos it makes me angry.

Online is really really good. Great fun and ranking up is addictive.

GodofWine

I still laugh about people online thinking there is certain etiquette that racers should follow in this game...now I do not hardly ever take people out if I can pass them clean, but this one dude (BadVoodoo or something like that) was literally PISSED at me before the race even started for picking a big rig when the other options were bikes and buggies...he was like "people like you ruin the races"...

I proceeded to win, without touching another racer...then I told him, and he logged off.

My 'just one race' turned into 2 hours last night. Awesome.

Jim

GodofWine said:
I still laugh about people online thinking there is certain etiquette that racers should follow in this game...now I do not hardly ever take people out if I can pass them clean, but this one dude (BadVoodoo or something like that) was literally PISSED at me before the race even started for picking a big rig when the other options were bikes and buggies...he was like "people like you ruin the races"...

I proceeded to win, without touching another racer...then I told him, and he logged off.

My 'just one race' turned into 2 hours last night. Awesome.

I almost felt bad bitch-slapping one of the highest ranking online players in an online race with the bike. Almost. Man, he was pissed at first, :lol. But I think he understood.

Nothing worse than being in 1st driving a smaller vehicle with a monster truck breathing down your neck and just clipping you at the last turn.. kaboom.

I think it's more the people who usually pick the monster trucks tend to be people who just want to cause chaos and fuck up people's games, the same type of people who would turn around in an online game of Forza and start going the other way to see the crashes. While it's not wrong to pick the monster truck, it is kind of being ruined by jerks who pick it and just crash into people the entire race. I've learned to live with it, but it's definitely something that kills the game for a bit when you first start playing online.

Thrakier

Any tips on the level 6 Razorback Race? I came in 2nd but I don't think I have the best route by now.

Also, how is the Online ranking working?

sun-drop

monstertruck def belongs in motorstorm, i'm a buggy guy but personally get a rush weaving between those things, plus, some tracks it really does pay to be in one, colossis canyon for one ...that sloped stadium stand to the left near the start ...yep ..wen in a monstertruck it's just a big RAMP. GRINS

just got the close call throphy ,beating the AI right on the line at that castle run beach track, fuck this game is AWESOME.

serious game of the year contender, and easy racer of the year, even with something like wi3poutHD out there.

GodofWine

Jim said:
I almost felt bad bitching-slapping one of the highest ranking online players in an online race with the bike. Almost. Man, he was pissed at first, :lol. But I think he understood.

Nothing worse than being in 1st driving a smaller vehicle with a monster truck breathing down your neck and just clipping you at the last turn.. kaboom.

See, thats just it, the game HAS A BUTTON YOU PUSH TO PUNCH PEOPLE...its not Gran Turismo or Moto GP..a little rough housing is expected....It natural to get mad, but to whine about it for the entire night...those people need to just cram it with walnuts.

I need MSPR friends by the way, PSN : TheGodofWine

Pallaris

Perform an impressive barrel roll - has anyone got this trophy? Far as I know i've done this numerous times without an unlock.

Also, the online ones are a bitch to get.. more time consuming really.

Jim

Pallaris said:
Perform an impressive barrel roll - has anyone got this trophy? Far as I know i've done this numerous times without an unlock.

Also, the online ones are a bitch to get.. more time consuming really.

Quoting myself:

Jim said:
The whole time I thought it was performing a "successful" and impressive barrel roll. You know, landing back on your wheels. I did plenty of them.

It really means when you wipe out and just continue rolling for a bit (as mentioned above). If you skip it quickly to get back on the track ASAP, you won't get it usually.

decon

Loving that this game has got splitscreen, LOVE IT. Only problem is that it gets hard to spot what comes up next in 3-4 player, and you can't turn the brightness up :( Solossis canyon has got to be my favorite track atm. Looks great and is quite varied.

If any EU guys wants to play, then add me on PSN: decon89 :)

ChryZ

Pallaris said:
You skip your crashes too quickly. Let the animation run until you get the trophy.

navanman

Online is pissing me off now. Is there some exploit I don't know about? The crazy re-spawning of vehicles at full speed and perfect line is one thing that bugs me.
From what I can gather if you wreck deliberately from over-boosting you will re-spawn further along the track in a quick time.

AND

Is there some Razorback exploit I don't know about? I have 2 had races on this track in the last 2 days and something is fishy.
I raced a perfect race in a big rig, said 1st all the way, coming up the straight and bang 30 second timer, cross the line and changes to 9st, not 9th.
I just raced it again 30 mins ago and I'm in 2nd and I notice most of the other people aren't racing at all. I cross the line, was in 2nd and it changes to 5nd, not 5th.

Pissed off and confused.

KBox

I just got this game and it's easily one of the best racing games I have ever played in my entire life. And very close to being my GOTY. Superb job Evolution Studios.

ChryZ

What ... the ... fuck? Is there some sort of competition going on among devs: "who is able to create the most annoying clusterfuck"? First the Elite AI bullshit in Wipeout HD and now this mess. I had no issues with MS1, finished all tickets with a few retries, but the level7&8 stuff is infuriating and nothing but annoying. Fuck you, Evolution Studios.

decon said:
Loving that this game has got splitscreen, LOVE IT. Only problem is that it gets hard to spot what comes up next in 3-4 player, and you can't turn the brightness up :( Solossis canyon has got to be my favorite track atm. Looks great and is quite varied.

If any EU guys wants to play, then add me on PSN: decon89 :)

Hold the phone... Theres 4 player splitscreen local? Son of a bitch... I have been holding out on this game because I had such a backlog but am always looking for games to play when friends come over. I thought it was only 2 player splitscreen and thats not much fun tbh but 4 player splitscreen. Ordering now :eek:

alterno69

Banned
It s agreat game but the online is broken at times, there are some races where i'm supossed to be in 3rd or 4th place and then bam the race is over and i'm in last place lol what the hell is going on there. :lol

Thrakier

ChryZ said:
What ... the ... fuck? Is there some sort of competition going on among devs: "who is able to create the most annoying clusterfuck"? First the Elite AI bullshit in Wipeout HD and now this mess. I had no issues with MS1, finished all tickets with a few retries, but the level7&8 stuff is infuriating and nothing but annoying. Fuck you, Evolution Studios.

I didn't play Rank 7/8 races yet but how can it be worse than MS1? I hated MS1 for the KI.

ChryZ

Thrakier said:
I didn't play Rank 7/8 races yet but how can it be worse than MS1? I hated MS1 for the KI.
MS1 had rubber banding, but it was fair. Once ahead of the pack, it was possible to stay ahead of the pack (with proper driving and boosting).

There is something broken with MS2. The AI got pretty much unlimited boost. The more boost you use, the more boost the AI will use. Up to the point when it's impossible to catch them. The only way to break this mess is not to boost, to stay in the pack (while getting ass raped) and only to boost into the finish. With a crash limit of 3 or even worst in Eliminator ... it's retry galore.

Hard would be fine, but this is just cheap and annoying.

Burekma

Having beaten the game (everything gold), I don't quite get the rubber banding everyone is complaining about here.

I mean, I found other WAY more frustrating elements, like overagressive AI (sometimes, it felt like the only goal my competitors had was preventing me from winning, even if it meant destroying themselves in the process) and unfair, frustrating set pieces (you in a bike, everyone else in a big rig/monster truck).

I never really experienced the frustrating rubber banding, like in M1, when everyone got this magical boost just before the finish line. It was present but never at the end of the races, which gave me time to take back the lead.

John_B

Burekma said:
I don't quite get the rubber banding everyone is complaining about here.
It is no where near as bad as in the previous game, but it is there. It pretty much only happens in rank 7/8 games.

What I experience is something like this: I'm 1st, perhaps 1-2 seconds ahead, the track branches, I choose one path and the AI (the one that usually wins the race) takes another path. Somehow, even though I'm boosting and my path is the fastest option, the AI will come out in front. This does not happen all the time, but pretty often.

Razorback is a good example of broken AI. When you enter the cave on the last stretch, the AI will start boosting and take the left path, still boosting, it makes the little jump and then continues to boost all the way to the finish line. This is really annoying, because you can't make a wide enough gap to make up for the boosting, so you have to pray the AI somehow is hindered.

I get why they buff the AI to make it more challenging, however this is unballanced and very frustrating. The AI should serve a challenge even for very good players, but should not be some close to impossible feat.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
I was going to pick this up, but these rubberbanding reports are making me reconsider. F-Zero GX proved that you don't need cheap AI for challenging (even murderously hard), thrilling racing.

The rubberbanding can be frustrating in rank 7 and 8, but you'll have a lot of fun before that. I still managed to obtain a few golds in the highest ranks and complete all events anyway.

You dont need all golds to finish the game.
If you can't be stuffed trying different techniques/paths to get gold you can just settle for silver which is easy to do.
Getting gold requires a bit of patience and a some observation.
People who get frustrated with the "cheating" AI have missed the point of the game. I thinks.

navanman said:
Is there some Razorback exploit I don't know about? I have 2 had races on this track in the last 2 days and something is fishy.

I don't think its relegated to Razorback, there seems to be a general exploit that allows you to jump way ahead of the pack. I ran into some choad three races in a row where we'd be racing along and about a minute into the race the next thing ya know the guy was gone, and no one could get past 2nd place. He kept finishing about a minute ahead of everyone. Its like the fucker Overdrifted into first.

I sent him a nasty message so I have his name in my sentbox, probably should report him.

The online kicks ass, I hope it isn't ruined with glitchers. :(

navanman

CurlySaysX said:
You dont need all golds to finish the game.
If you can't be stuffed trying different techniques/paths to get gold you can just settle for silver which is easy to do.
Getting gold requires a bit of patience and a some observation.
People who get frustrated with the "cheating" AI have missed the point of the game. I thinks.

Totally agree. I don't think there is any rubber-banding AI but as mentioned above there definately is a strategy required to win the higher ranked races. You need to use the correct shortcuts on the last lap, etc..

ChryZ

John_B said:
It is no where near as bad as in the previous game, but it is there. It pretty much only happens in rank 7/8 games.

What I experience is something like this: I'm 1st, perhaps 1-2 seconds ahead, the track branches, I choose one path and the AI (the one that usually wins the race) takes another path. Somehow, even though I'm boosting and my path is the fastest option, the AI will come out in front. This does not happen all the time, but pretty often.

Razorback is a good example of broken AI. When you enter the cave on the last stretch, the AI will start boosting and take the left path, still boosting, it makes the little jump and then continues to boost all the way to the finish line. This is really annoying, because you can't make a wide enough gap to make up for the boosting, so you have to pray the AI somehow is hindered.

I get why they buff the AI to make it more challenging, however this is unballanced and very frustrating. The AI should serve a challenge even for very good players, but should not be some close to impossible feat.
I had no trouble with MS1, at all. You worded some of the other issues very well.

CurlySaysX said:
I'd love to hear that point.

GodofWine

navanman said:
Online is pissing me off now. Is there some exploit I don't know about? The crazy re-spawning of vehicles at full speed and perfect line is one thing that bugs me.
From what I can gather if you wreck deliberately from over-boosting you will re-spawn further along the track in a quick time.

This...again....plenty are seeing it...anyone have a guess?

Im still trying to convince myself thats its actually lag / system is correcting the position of the vehicle...but its annoying still to watch.

Roko

Best Buy has Motorstorm: Pacific Rift on sale the week of 12/14 for $39.99 for those of you (me!) who haven't gotten it yet.

Dibbz

Motorstorm is amazing.

3106866549_c015001ff3_o.png

It seems like I've been playing for a while but I've only got 20% of trophies it seems. :|

Top Bottom