• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Flunkie

Banned
Dibbz said:
3106866549_c015001ff3_o.png
Wow, great shot.

Cesar said:
I couldn't resist to grab some screens of this babe. :D

What do you have to do to unlock a few more vehicles and pilots without having to gold everything? I have over 9000 :)D) points and I still haven't unlocked that outfit. I guess that by getting the heavy weight trophies and whatnot you get some according vehicles.

jett

D-Member
I really live MS1...untli the last tickets that is, and these talks of the rubberband AI returning at the end of MS2 are what put me off from buying the game. :/ You'd think Evolution would have learned. Proper AI > cheap shit

What the hell is going on with the veto system? Every first map in a ranked match I get in gets vetoed, often resulting in two maps getting selected, namely Beach Comber and Raingod Spire. Do people really not want to race the other tracks?

Thrakier

jett said:
I really live MS1...untli the last tickets that is, and these talks of the rubberband AI returning at the end of MS2 are what put me off from buying the game. :/ You'd think Evolution would have learned. Proper AI > cheap shit

Till you get to this point you had hours and hours of fun and a great online MP to go. Where is the problem? Buy it, it's the best racer (together with Wipeout) in a long long time.

John_B

SSM25 said:
Wasn't track design one of the negative points according to reviewers?, Damn it looks awesome in those videos!!!
Tracks are awesome, but they can be a bit confusing until you learn them. It's like one long race of: Oh shit! Oh shit! Oh shit!

It's not an issue, like all racing games, you need to learn the tracks. MS2 just have some really crazy tracks with all sorts of paths and obstacles, so you need to race them a couple of times to figure them out.

GodofWine

Anyone know how the ranked leaderboard is scored? It looks to be by rank, but then it shows 'players beaten'...but thats not in order of ranking.

Oh, Im about 2700th..so watch out :lol

James-Ape

show some balls, man
SSM25 said:
Wasn't track design one of the negative points according to reviewers?, Damn it looks awesome in those videos!!!

Caldera Ridge is one of my favourite tracks, it's relatively simple in terms of routes you can take, but has an awesome short-cut down through the crater, though the guy in that video doesn't take it.

Overall the tracks are very good, I think there is only one or two that I don't like as much as the others.

I revisited MS1 this weekend, it still looks pretty nice, but the handling is no where near as tight as in Pacific Rift. The new Bikes are a joy to use.

teepo

finally got the game and it's has given me more holy shit moments then any game released this year.

only played 7 or so races, but i can safely say it's an improvement over the 1st one in every possible way. reviewers are batshit insane criticizing the track design, then again, it just further proves my theory that reviewers like to have their hands held when playing games.

grendelrt

I picked it up on Sunday and have played about 3 hours so far. Man what a great game. Whoever put the demo on the PSN should be friggin shot. If I had played one of the more impressive tracks as a demo, i would of bought this game day 1. Online is awesome, a party system in a racer!

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
grendelrt said:
I picked it up on Sunday and have played about 3 hours so far. Man what a great game. Whoever put the demo on the PSN should be friggin shot. If I had played one of the more impressive tracks as a demo, i would of bought this game day 1. Online is awesome, a party system in a racer!

I agree. I bought this on a whim yesterday after being really underwhelmed by the demo (that I bought a stupid QORE episode for! :lol).

MS2 is the best racing title released this gen so far. Fuck awesome.

James-Ape

show some balls, man
I just completed the Rift: Going Deep, i'm getting near the end now.

This game is absolutely beautiful in places. I think it is the lighting on a level than can really change how good it looks, and Evolution more often than not get it looking really nice. The contrast between the dark tunnels of Rift: Going Deep, and the brightly lit open-air sections where your vehicle casts a long shadow, really are amongst some of the best graphics on the PS3.

Slowing my bike down on a corner only to see the shadow of a monstertruck creep into my lower screen, or narrowly avoiding a crash between 3 or 4 trucks really gets my heart racing

GodofWine

James-Ape said:
Slowing my bike down on a corner only to see the shadow of a monstertruck creep into my lower screen, or narrowly avoiding a crash between 3 or 4 trucks really gets my heart racing

Dude, when a monster truck is so close to me that its IN my screen and blocking the view of my bike...THATS when its time to smash the X button!!

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
GodofWine said:
Dude, when a monster truck is so close to me that its IN my screen and blocking the view of my bike...THATS when its time to smash the X button!!

So true but then I smashed your Monster truck online 2 night ago. And then beat you by 0.03 seconds.

Cesar

Banned
James-Ape said:
I just completed the Rift: Going Deep, i'm getting near the end now.

This game is absolutely beautiful in places. I think it is the lighting on a level than can really change how good it looks, and Evolution more often than not get it looking really nice. The contrast between the dark tunnels of Rift: Going Deep, and the brightly lit open-air sections where your vehicle casts a long shadow, really are amongst some of the best graphics on the PS3.

MotorStorm PR really has among the best lighting in a game I've ever seen. They should teach Insomniac how to do it.

.GqueB.

Banned
grendelrt said:
They shouldve put scorched or edge on the demo. First time I played those two tracks my arsehole was so tight because of the tension that I didnt crap for a week.

True story.

And what is this rubberband AI everyone keeps speaking of? From what I understand it means that opponents are always behind you no matter how well you do or is that not what you guys mean? When I play online its the same thing really. I could be in front, crash and be bumped back to 5th place in an instant.

GodofWine

navanman said:
So true but then I smashed your Monster truck online 2 night ago. And then beat you by 0.03 seconds.

AH HA! It WAS YOU... I saw your name ended in _gaf and I meant to ask if you were a gaffer...but never got around to it.

Gav

I started my MS2 on another PS3, now im trying to move the save, but it wont let me copy it.
Am i screwed? I put so much time in, dont want to start again!

Dibbz

I think saves are locked to the PS3 because of trophies. Are you playing under the same PSN acccount as the save?

Quick questions about online. I see people crash and go transparent because of select I'm guessing, then appear ahead of me with the same or more speed than me. How is this even possible? Some sort of glitch or is it just lag?

3116621392_c7e64e4c87_o.png

Gav

Dibbz said:
I think saves are locked to the PS3 because of trophies. Are you playing under the same PSN acccount as the save?

That makes sense. Its annoying, but i can see why theyd do it. Same PSN account, yes.

Dibbz

Gav said:
That makes sense. Its annoying, but i can see why theyd do it. Same PSN account, yes.
You'd think that as long as you were signed in under the same PSN account saves should work no matter what PS3 you are on.

Well a quick look at my MS2 game save and it shows that there is a lock. It says Lock: Copying Prohibited but for Mirrors Edge there is no lock. I'm guessing it's up to the dev to put locks on saves which is kinda stupid.

Seems like you're out of luck. Your trophies should sync up though since they're stored on a server far far away :D

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Got this game a couple days ago from the Best Buy sale. This game craps all over the original, so good. Especially love the checkpoint events. I'm glad races don't take like 9 minutes to complete now.

Doodis

Quick question about the game - is it just one player online at a time, or can you take a guest to race online with you? I'm getting a PS3 for the holidays and I'm looking for a racing game I can play with my sister and her husband who live across the country.

Dibbz

Do you mean split screen online? If so then nope.

There is 4 player split screen and an online mode which allows you to create a party though.

Doodis said:
Quick question about the game - is it just one player online at a time, or can you take a guest to race online with you? I'm getting a PS3 for the holidays and I'm looking for a racing game I can play with my sister and her husband who live across the country.

Mario Kart Wii is the only racing game that I know has this feature

Enojado

FYI for those interested in this game.

It's currently $39.98 at Amazon. Apply coupon code "MSTORM10" in the coupon code box for an extra $10 savings. (Edit: this is Amazon's deal of the day so it appears it will expire on the 19th)

This brought my total to $29.98. I have Amazon Prime so I got 2 day free shipping. MSPR for under $30 is a smoking hot deal if you ask me.

robot

Picked it up last night - so far so good, love the elements concept. Why in the hell does this game not support 1080p?

Tenks

Enojado said:
FYI for those interested in this game.

It's currently $39.98 at Amazon. Apply coupon code "MSTORM10" in the coupon code box for an extra $10 savings. (Edit: this is Amazon's deal of the day so it appears it will expire on the 19th)

This brought my total to $29.98. I have Amazon Prime so I got 2 day free shipping. MSPR for under $30 is a smoking hot deal if you ask me.

Bah got an error saying the MSTORM10 offer expired.

GodofWine

Hey, online scoring question....does it start to get really stingy with giving out points as you progress? When i was a grunt and finished 2nd out of 12, I'd get 10-12 points it seemed, not as a mid level veteran Im getting like 3 for an equal finish, most races if I finish 4th-6th I get one point...and then I had one bad race (DNF) and lost 5!!!

Jim

XxBigP123xX said:
The textures still look like crap to me. Getting this for Christmas though, Motorstorm was awesome.

You honestly don't even have time to notice it. The insane lighting and post-processing effects give it a really polished look. You also have to factor in the sheer size of the courses, none of which can be streamed.

Goldrusher

And it plays as fast and insane as Burnout Paradise or WipEout HD, even though there's a million times more things happening on-screen. Plants everywhere, debris everywhere, opponents all around you, storming through deforming mud, water, sand and lava.
If the "crappy textures" make that happen, so be it.

But you'll see for yourself ! Good to hear your buying/getting it anyway, regardless of the texture quality.

Jim said:
You honestly don't even have time to notice it. The insane lighting and post-processing effects give it a really polished look. You also have to factor in the sheer size of the courses, none of which can be streamed.
Yeah, I notice that in the demo. Looks great in motion, looks alright in screens. To me at least.

diffusionx

Gold Member
The demo for MS: PR was super lame and I hated it. But in spite of this I bought the full game on Gold Box today. If it sucks, I'm gonna be forced to cut someone. Just a heads up.

nib95

Banned
Wow, seriously, I can't get enough of this game! It's so crazy intense and fun. Never really played any arcade racer quite as bonkers lol. It even makes the old Motorstorm seem a little timid and cumbersome. That rush you get when getting gigantic air, bursting through vegetation, heat haze, waterfalls etc whilst seeing a dozen other riders zip past or at your sides, with the motion blur, the lighting, post process effects etc. It's just insane.

I can't get enough of the visuals. Colossus Canyon and The Edge of Oblivion...wow.

Me and my fiancee just played for 2 hours straight. Admittedly she was on it about 75% of the time. Everyone of my flat mates is hooked too. The game is just incredibly adrenaline rush inducing. Some of the language that comes out of people's mouth's when playing the game is also quite humorous. Proper road rage.

Anyone else think the water is some of the best in any game? The waterfall/river rapids segment in Colossus Canyon. Near CGI/video quality like. In-fact, at one point I thought it was a video stream ala Onimusha. It looks that good.

jmonteiro

diffusionx said:
The demo for MS: PR was super lame and I hated it. But in spite of this I bought the full game on Gold Box today. If it sucks, I'm gonna be forced to cut someone. Just a heads up.

If you think it sucks you should cut yourself :lol

This game is awesome

Jim

XxBigP123xX said:
Yeah, I notice that in the demo. Looks great in motion, looks alright in screens. To me at least.

The demo kinda sucks compared to the retail version. Seriously.

AFreak

Banned
So if you fucking love the demo, you'll love the full game ven more? I don't know if I can take that much awesome and win.

Flunkie

Banned
AFreak said:
So if you fucking love the demo, you'll love the full game ven more? I don't know if I can take that much awesome and win.
Yes. Exponentially.

I've been playing for five hours straight now. Almost all that time has been spent online. This is my first day playing online.. and I'm really impressed. I didn't know it was this good and this polished. MS1's online was kind of barebones, this is just awesomeness. :)

AFreak said:

Immediately start having lots of sex whilst eating bacon, because that's the only way to prepare for the awesome and win that is Motorstorm Pacific Rift

Top Bottom