• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

Demo's not that different from the game.

I love the game, but I don't get all the hate on the demo. Yes, it may be an uninteresting track and slightly less polished visually, but it's still the same damn game. It's not like you're thinking you're downloading a racing demo and instead you get a basketball demo.

Personally, I liked the demo. Didn't think it was great, but it did make me want to play the full game. So if the demo totally turns you off, I don't see what could possibly be different in the final game that would make you do a 180.

I think people just point to it as an excuse/scapegoat as to why the game didn't sell.

Thrakier

The demo track is exactly the same in the final game when you choose the same lighting conditions. There is no difference. The whole demo complaints and the strange IGN comparisons was absolute bullshit from the very beginning. Also, I like that track a lot. It's fun.

nib95

Banned
CartridgeBlower said:
Demo's not that different from the game.

I love the game, but I don't get all the hate on the demo. Yes, it may be an uninteresting track and slightly less polished visually, but it's still the same damn game. It's not like you're thinking you're downloading a racing demo and instead you get a basketball demo.

Personally, I liked the demo. Didn't think it was great, but it did make me want to play the full game. So if the demo totally turns you off, I don't see what could possibly be different in the final game that would make you do a 180.

I think people just point to it as an excuse/scapegoat as to why the game didn't sell.

No, the demo is just plain bad. Worse level of polish, a more uninteresting track etc. Most importantly though, I just find the controls in the demo less refined. The vehicles feel more like tanks, and don't have the same level of fluidity and consise control.

That's the main thing that put me off it. I played the demo and thought, "Oh dear, they screwed Motorstorm", and then I played the actual game and thought "Now this is how Motorstorm should have been all along!".

Kolgar

Psychotext said:
No-one else gets that? I really don't know how anyone can use them.

Isn't there an option in the full game to switch acceleration to the X button?

That's what I had to do with the first Motorstorm. Those godforsaken flipper-trigger abortion buttons on the PS3 controller are ABOMINABLE.

My girlfriend's giving me this game for Christmas tonight and I'd darned well better be able to set my acceleration to X!

Jander

Banned
Kolgar said:
Isn't there an option in the full game to switch acceleration to the X button?

That's what I had to do with the first Motorstorm. Those godforsaken flipper-trigger abortion buttons on the PS3 controller are ABOMINABLE.

My girlfriend's giving me this game for Christmas tonight and I'd darned well better be able to set my acceleration to X!

Confirmed. You can. X acceleration works much better for me too. As does what I've now dubbed, the "turbo trigger".

edgefusion

I just got this today and I've been enjoying it way more than I thought I would. the graphics are a huge step-up from the previous game, I was totally blown away! I have to say I'm finding it a little too difficult for my tastes though so I'll probably end up leaving it long before I'm actually finished with all the races (I've even got a few of the final races in MS1 to get gold on, which I never plan on doing). Which is a shame because I am enjoying myself with it, but some of the races already have me wanting to tear my hair out.

I'm finding it really difficult to actually get the vehicles to go around corners too, it seems like much more of a chore than it should be and harder than in MS1. I figure I must be doing something wrong as when riding an ATV (which is supposed to be the most agile) it simply doesn't corner. The guy on the bike leans in and turns the handlebar but the ATV just keeps going in a straight line to inevitable wreckage. I've tried boosting out of corners, braking, the handbrake and losing the throttle all to the same end. :(

Thrakier

nib95 said:
No, the demo is just plain bad. Worse level of polish, a more uninteresting track etc. Most importantly though, I just find the controls in the demo less refined. The vehicles feel more like tanks, and don't have the same level of fluidity and consise control.

That's the main thing that put me off it. I played the demo and thought, "Oh dear, they screwed Motorstorm", and then I played the actual game and thought "Now this is how Motorstorm should have been all along!".

This is just not true, not at all. I just went back to the demo after playing the final for hours and hours, it feels EXACTLY the same. This is final code, I'm 100% sure. Ask Evolution.

Wow. Some people really think Evolution would release a demo that featured different handling, different physics, and different lighting/graphics than the final game?

This demo thing is blown so out of proportion it's gone way past comical to the point of becoming absurd/sad.

nib95

Banned
Thrakier said:
This is just not true, not at all. I just went back to the demo after playing the final for hours and hours, it feels EXACTLY the same. This is final code, I'm 100% sure. Ask Evolution.

CartridgeBlower said:
Wow. Some people really think Evolution would release a demo that featured different handling, different physics, and different lighting/graphics than the final game?

This demo thing is blown so out of proportion it's gone way past comical to the point of becoming absurd/sad.

I'm not so sure man.

newmotorstormcompare.jpg

wouwie

I agree on the demo thing. I didn't notice any visual difference between the demo i played and the final version of the game (at least not as i remembered the demo. I had already deleted teh demo when i purchased the full game so i didn't do any real comparisons). So i was wondering about those screenshot comparisons.

However, as said numerous times in this thread, the lightning (= the different time of day) can make the same track look so so or spectacular. Take the same track as in the demo but on a different time of day and it looks quite spectacular.

I loved the demo so i was quite sure i would love the final game (it's the same). One thing to note about the demo though: it is one of the most easy tracks when it comes to track layout, variation and different routes. It is definately not as varied as most other tracks. But i still find it a fun track to play.

Thrakier

nib95 said:
I'm not so sure man.

Haha, the funny thing is, that the Track in the retail looks exactly like the qoore build. :lol And imo it looks better because of a more consisten style. I mean, the only difference is the lighting (depends on the setting) and some green bushes which shouldn't be there on a high mountain track anyway. The demo IS final build, 100%.

nib95

Banned
Thrakier said:
Haha, the funny thing is, that the Track in the retail looks exactly like the qoore build. :lol And imo it looks better because of a more consisten style. I mean, the only difference is the lighting (depends on the setting) and some green bushes which shouldn't be there on a high mountain track anyway. The demo IS final build, 100%.

Err...no it doesn't.

It looks more like the IGN version. The retail version (compared to the Qore build) has much better lighting, much better textures, is more green, has more vegetation, more colour and imo the vehicles also handle slightly better.

You're a fool for thinking the demo is final build. I question whether you've even played the retail game now.

ypo

Are you people kidding me? The difference in vegetation alone is significant. The sun is also out in the demo so it's clear that lighting received a huge boost too.

Thrakier

nib95 said:
Err...no it doesn't.

It looks more like the IGN version. The retail version (compared to the Qore build) has much better lighting, much better textures, is more green, has more vegetation, more colour and imo the vehicles also handle slightly better.

You're a fool for thinking the demo is final build. I question whether you've even played the retail game now.

WTF? Are you serious!?

The Lighting depends STRONLY on the daytime you select. There is one lighting setting with which the track looks EXACTLY the same as in those pictures. The overall style of the track is much closer to the "sub 80%" Qoore Build, means, it's more brown with not much vegetation and less grey regarding the floor textures. I don't care if there is one or two bushes less or more, but the parts you can see on the pictures for example right before the big jump, there is no vegetation in the final like in the "quore" build.

And all those things beside, just from the picture I would say that the qoure build looks better because of the colors etc. - like I said, the lighting is just a setting.

ypo said:
Are you people kidding me? The difference in vegetation alone is significant. The sun is also out in the demo so it's clear that lighting received a huge boost too.

The "sun" is not "out", damn! You can change it in the settings. There are like three or four lighting setups for every track which makes them look completly different. And the vegetation from the IGN-Build is not there in the final and that was the right decision, because it looks better like that. What do you guys think, that those three or four bushes makes a difference performance-wise!?

Flunkie

Banned
nib95 said:
Hey dude. Was only gone a short while. You have this game yet? We gotta play online sometime man.
I've only been playing this game religiously for the past couple weeks. Heck yeah I have this game. I should be online a lot in the next week, since it's Christmas and all.

ughhhhhh......yeah, id say there is a big difference in those screenshots. I played the demo numerous times and thought it was fun but the level was a bit boring in the visuals department. After playing the full game my jaw dropped when i started playing every level. It is so cool when you hit a jump and while your in the air you can just see the awesome view!

wouwie

Thrakier said:
The Lighting depends STRONLY on the daytime you select. There is one lighting setting with which the track looks EXACTLY the same as in those pictures.

I came to the same conclusion. There is one point of day where it seems to be exactly the same as in the demo.

Anyhow, it doesn't matter. The game is fun and looks great.

Thrakier

Yeah, just choose midday (or noon, no idea how it's called in the US-Version) and it looks the same. Funny that some people really think that Evolution publishes a old build demo that looks a lot worse (at a time where the game was supposedly already finished) to sell the game. They are not stupid.

Is the matchmaking down or something? Couldn't find a ranked match in the EU AND in the US realm. Strange.

Fans of the game are just citing the demo as a reason why it didn't sell. I love the game, golded all events, but that's not the reason it didn't sell. What is...I'm not so sure. Too many games, not enough publicity, bad (although totally BS) reviews...who knows...

Thrakier

I thought it did quite good, already around a million!?

Also, the game is WAY underrated by the press and I don't know why. They didn't even try to get into it, which is a shame.

The Demo did feel a little stiffer than the retail game, I played a whole bunch of times and could not get 1st at all. Kind of pissed me off but I loved the original MS so I wasn't not going to buy it. The real game was so much bloody easier, I managed to gold everthing first time around until about stage 5.
Also, the game controls like ass in 3rd person view for some reason. Bonnet cam or nothing IMO.

GodofWine

The demo was inferior. The bike hovered about 1 inch above the track the entire time :lol (serious). Its was like it was riding on a thin film of magic.

Thrakier

Any tips on the rank 7 kanola bay event ("speed freak")? I mange to be on the first three places just before the last bit where you have go go through the mud and then take the long route left or the short route right through the water. I loose always places there so that I only finish 5 to 7.

Thrakier

I just played for two hours rank 7 matches and won like one bronze medal...I had NO problems till rank 7 to get all the gold medals, not at all, but this is a joke. I'm loosing and I don't know why.

Besides that, 4:30 with a Trcuk on Badlands? How? I made 4:34 and it was an almost perfect race. Is there a shortcut or something like that? Any FAQ out there which shows you all the perfect routes?

Thrakier said:
I just played for two hours rank 7 matches and won like one bronze medal...I had NO problems till rank 7 to get all the gold medals, not at all, but this is a joke. I'm loosing and I don't know why.

Besides that, 4:30 with a Trcuk on Badlands? How? I made 4:34 and it was an almost perfect race. Is there a shortcut or something like that? Any FAQ out there which shows you all the perfect routes?

Do time trial mode and challenge one of the developers ghost time.
There is no shortcut on Badlands that I am aware of.

Thrakier

CurlySaysX said:
Do time trial mode and challenge one of the developers ghost time.
There is no shortcut on Badlands that I am aware of.

The Prob is that those fuckers are too fast for me. :( So I don't see where there are going? What's the best bike route on kanola?

Durante

I'm not much of a racing fan but this game is great from what I've played so far (3 or 4 hours I guess). It did take me a while to get used to how the different vehicles impact your route choices but it was fun even when I didn't know what I was doing. Getting this for 24€ was a steal.

I have found the perfect line to get first in that bay lvl 7 bike level.
Check it!

There are 2 consecutive bridges/overpasses towards the end, jump off just before the second bridge and direct your motorbike towards these trees, you can boost all the way to the end.
mspr11.jpg

Stay close to the rocks to the right here , your boost will cool down enough and you wont lose speed as there is an elevated section/very shallow water, and you should hit or stay in 1st spot all the way to the end.
mspr12.jpg

Enjoy.

Here's the route which I found best with the bike.

kanbay.jpg

Kolgar

Yeah, this game is great.

Gameplay is challenging but fun, graphics give me faith in PS3, and overall the whole package is a step up from the original game. Motorstorm: Pacific Rift is a sequel done right.

Shame I can't transfer my game save, though. I have two PS3s in the house and it would have been nice to be able to play the darned game on either setup without having to haul around that big-ass Triple.

MSPR_KolgarX_10.jpg

Thrakier

@curly

Thanks, did it!

Do you have any idea how some guys achieve a 1:45 on badlangs with a truck? I tried their ghosts but I can't follow them. My best time is about 2:06.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Best game I have played on Next Gen, best racing game in the market, I have no words to say how much this game is full of win.

Haven't sat down to seriously play this yet, but I played a few online matches with some people from CAG the other night and it was a ton of fun. Some of these levels are insane. We should set up a GAF night if there isn't already such a thing.

Thrakier said:
@curly

Thanks, did it!

Do you have any idea how some guys achieve a 1:45 on badlangs with a truck? I tried their ghosts but I can't follow them. My best time is about 2:06.

My best time for the badlands on the big rig is 2:00. I have no Idea how other people are able to get such quick times.
All my time trial times are about 10 - 20 seconds off the leader. I can easily beat the Developers times though.

Goldrusher

ypo said:
The IGN build really is the older one. Look at the rocks (both around the track and in the distance) on the second and third screenshot comparison. And look at the HUD.
In the full game, the track looks almost exactly like in the demo.

However, the biggest problem with the demo, is that it looks like a track from the old game, with a green filter on the rocks. Nothing about it really screams tropical, you know, Pacific.

There are so many, much nicer tracks in the full game. With sand, water and lava. The demo track barely has mud. It's all rocks and dirt. Pretty much like the demo for the original game.

Beach Comber in the evening would've made a much more impressive demo track. Or Colussus Canyon. Or the very first track you race on, the one with the big waterfall near the end.

Thrakier

How did you do the 2:00? I mean, on badlands there is not much variety where you can you with the bigrig. The 2:06 is the developers time.

Thrakier said:
How did you do the 2:00? I mean, on badlands there is not much variety where you can you with the bigrig. The 2:06 is the developers time.

I took the exact same route as the developer. Dont take any of the ramps, they slow you down.
Take notice where your truck loses speed and try and save boost for those areas.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well, that took me around 2 hours but I did it! I convinced my cousin to buy this game, oh he will so not regret it.

dralla

are there any options to adjust the audio in the final game? in the demo there is none and sounds of the engines are so loud

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
dralla said:
are there any options to adjust the audio in the final game? in the demo there is none and sounds of the engines are so loud
Yes.

Top Bottom