• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm: Pacific Rift |OT|

jett

D-Member
nib95 said:
I'm not so sure man.

http://www.vertigogaming.net/HUD/newmotorstormcompare.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to inform you buddy but a lot of the vegetation in the "press build" is nowhere to be found in the final game. :P It really does look a lot like the demo that's available right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
So I just got 100% (all gold) and started playing online for the first time and holy smokes, this game is REALLY good without rubberband!

deepbrown

jett said:
I'm sorry to inform you buddy but a lot of the vegetation in the "press build" is nowhere to be found in the final game. :p It really does look a lot like the demo that's available right now.
I believe the vegetative one is from the map called "EDGE" - it looks very similar at that point, but with more bushes and trees :) Really impressive looking map.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Okay, I had a lot of fun with the online until someone at Evolution Studios decided to literally piss on the servers.

Three times in a row, I got in 1st place but as everyone else drove through the finish line, my 1st place went down from 1st, 2st, 3st, 4st, 5st and at last 6st place (LIKE, WHAT?! Clearly this is a fucking bug, "6st"?!).

And that was against a lot of scrubs so they deleted like 12% from my level. Jesus.

GodofWine

Seiken said:
Okay, I had a lot of fun with the online until someone at Evolution Studios decided to literally piss on the servers.

Three times in a row, I got in 1st place but as everyone else drove through the finish line, my 1st place went down from 1st, 2st, 3st, 4st, 5st and at last 6st place (LIKE, WHAT?! Clearly this is a fucking bug, "6st"?!).

And that was against a lot of scrubs so they deleted like 12% from my level. Jesus.

This happens once in a while, if you notice the start is not on cue with the 3-2-1 countdown, or it seems that everyone else is driving like shit, its cause the game isn't sync'd up right and what you are seeing on your screen is not whats real..and it always says you are in first until the times are all in.

If that happens, and you can tell it is, treat it like a time trial and drive as fast as you can. The final times are accurate, but what you (and they) see on screen is scrambled.

Outside those occasions, this game blows me away

Yoshichan

Really, I like the sound of how I should think the game as a time trial when this happens but I swear to god, it said "I didn't finish in time" when I was driving like a fucking GOD in Badlands just now. It's completely garbage.

Getting that last trophy is simply impossible.

Barrett2

Question; I thought the first game was fun, but the lack of content made me tire of it after literally 4 days. How much more substantial is this game vs the first? I am tempted to buy it... but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

lawblob said:
Question; I thought the first game was fun, but the lack of content made me tire of it after literally 4 days. How much more substantial is this game vs the first? I am tempted to buy it... but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

twice the maps (16 vs. 8 in the original)...way more diversity, better online play, and some different racing mode challenges.

lawblob said:

The online mode alone is approx. 100X better than the first.
Single player is more varied, you get races, time trials, eliminators and speed runs.
Time trial is also pretty good, it gives you developer ghosts so you have someone to race and you get a medallion if you beat all the developers time trial times.
16 very different tracks all with multiple routes. It is the most feature packed arcade racing game ever. Fact.

Barrett2

Damn, sounds pretty good. I am waffling between this and GRID... but I have the feeling I will enjoy this more.

Anyone know if it's on sale anywhere in the US?

lawblob said:
Damn, sounds pretty good. I am waffling between this and GRID... but I have the feeling I will enjoy this more.

I will save you the trouble man, just get MotorStorm PR.

lawblob said:

It's on sale for $39 at Target right now.

sajj316

Just got the game as a late Christmas gift from my brother ... very excited! These screens are amazing ... played the first ... loved the first.

lupinko

I picked this up yesterday via boxing week sale + coupon, and I am quite impressed by it, to the point that I should have bought this for full price instead. Anyhoo it improves and surpasses the first game in every aspect.

Now I just have to learn how to play the damn thing, I can barely finish a race. :lol

Still have this unopened... anyone know where you can get those 3rd party controller trigger things in the UK? Might make all the difference in terms of actually being able to play the game. :lol

Oneself

Psychotext said:
Still have this unopened... anyone know where you can get those 3rd party controller trigger things in the UK? Might make all the difference in terms of actually being able to play the game. :lol

Who cares about triggers, OPEN IT!!!!!!!!!!

No45

Man I'd completely forgotten how much Motorstorm both invigorates and infuriates (Fortunately not in equal measure). No other racing game delivers this kind of thrill... but fuck me if it isn't incredibly annoying when just a single mistake at the wrong time (And this isn't always under your control) costs you that gold. I'm in full on OCD mode as well, so if I don't get gold I don't leave the track. :lol

How people play this for short periods is beyond me. I don't think any other game gets me into that 'one more go' groove as much as this does - you always feel like you have a chance.

FabCam

No45 said:
How people play this for short periods is beyond me. I don't think any other game gets me into that 'one more go' groove as much as this does - you always feel like you have a chance.

The online is like that for me. I think "just one more race to get my rank up" 2 hours later, I'm no closer to getting the rank up :D The tracks are so well designed but can be infuriating when you're drifting around a corner and there are rocks toward the outside which you just catch and they flip you over :(

No45 said:
I'm in full on OCD mode as well, so if I don't get gold I don't leave the track. :lol

Heh, I was this way for awhile, especially the first game. Now if I'm stuck after a few tries I just fire up a different race or go online. When I go back fresh I usually do better. Its made the later stages of the sp way more enjoyable.

Kolgar

Psychotext said:

Dude, change X to be your accelerator, and use the right trigger for boost.

I hate the PS3 triggers too, but the game plays great in this configuration.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Psychotext said:

Play.com has them.

Kolgar said:
Dude, change X to be your accelerator, and use the right trigger for boost.

I hate the PS3 triggers too, but the game plays great in this configuration.
I'm sure it's probably good in that configuration... but as far as I'm aware I can't try that in the demo so it's £20 down the drain if I don't like it.

neorej said:
Play.com has them.
Thanks.

Dibbz

Got a wierd problem with Motorostorm.

I've recently forced my monitor to display 1080p for the PS3 and it works even though my monitor doesn't support it. I'm guessing the PS3 does some scaling but whatever it does makes everything looks clean and crisp. Much better than a stretched 720p image.

Anyways I just tried Motorstorm and it throws me back to sub HD resolution. Checked 720p aswell as 1080p in the settings and it atleast throws me back to 720p.

Why does this happen though? Why can't the PS3 just software scale like it does with every other game (MGS4 works perfectly and looks awesome in 1080p)

Fake Edit:- Just tried the KZ2 beta and the same thing happens :| Fuck I was hoping to play KZ2 in fake 1080p. Arghgh.

Erebus

I received my copy from blahdvd the other day and I can't stop playing ever since. It really offers a unique racing experience that you can't find on any other platform at the moment.

Erebus

Coop said:
Does anybody have any good tips for this game? Because I fucking suck at it. I like it but I'm horrible.

Some really basic tips for Motorstorm:

-Use the handbrake when you're about to take some sharp corner then boost back in order to keep your vehicle on track.

-Try to memorize each track and ultimately choose the best possible route depending on the type of vehicle you got.

-Learn to use the boost wisely.

-Avoid getting too close to your opponents especially if you use bikes, atvs etc. Rubberband AI will make you crash before you realise.

-Keep on practising! It's the only way to improve your skills with this game.

No45

Coop said:
Does anybody have any good tips for this game? Because I fucking suck at it. I like it but I'm horrible.
This is one of those games that will take a little while to click, but when it does you'll start eating through the events. I often find on the trickier tracks (Particularly if you're being forced to use one of the less manoeuvrable vehicles) that it's a good idea to save some boost for getting yourself out of corners on the right line.

But each vehicle takes a little getting used to that will only come with practice.

Spent a couple of hours playing again tonight. I have gold on the first twelve of the Earth and Air events and the first ten of the Fire and Water events (Including all corresponding Elimination / Time Trial unlocks)... powered through a lot of what should have been difficult events mainly because I have a good grasp of the tracks now (Another thing that can't be underestimated - the importance of knowing ALL of the routes through the track)... but I still don't think I've ever yelled 'CUNT' at the TV screen as much as I have tonight. :lol

Just an awesome game. I didn't think they could improve on the first, but it does in almost every way. <3

It's a crime how underrated this game is. Graphics, gameplay, online, split screen, all top class stuff. The only bad thing I can think about it is that there isn't more of it. Any one know if Evolution is planning on bringing more tracks?

Picked this up for $40 at Best Buy a few days ago (had it priced wrong on an endcap, I took advantage of it), and am having an absolute blast. Currently have 7 golds in all the zones, and played a few hours of 2-player with a friend. Love this game; you get such a rush when you're in a bike and you narrowly avoid getting smashed by a brigade of big rigs and monster trucks or weave through a series of obstacles. Just so visceral and fun. Can also be maddingly frustrating. But then you finally suceed, and shout obscenities at the screen, and delcare your dominance over the game, and all is good.

Erebus

H_Prestige said:
It's a crime how underrated this game is. Graphics, gameplay, online, split screen, all top class stuff. The only bad thing I can think about it is that there isn't more of it. Any one know if Evolution is planning on bringing more tracks?

I think Evolution has already DLC in the works. They've also said that some of the content will be free of charge.:D

slider

H_Prestige said:
It's a crime how underrated this game is. Graphics, gameplay, online, split screen, all top class stuff. The only bad thing I can think about it is that there isn't more of it.

That's what I keep hearing. I think I'm also guilty. Played it a few times and thought "ooh, this is pretty" but haven't given it any substantive time. That, my friend, is about to change. I'll get into the campaign in a meaty way before diving in online.

Cheers.

Barrett2

Just bought it online for $40. Couldn't justify full price, but for $40 I will give it a go. Can't wait to race you mofos online!

Barrett2

Smitty3000 said:
FUUCCK, I'll definitely be heading over to Target first thing tomorrow morning, I can't pass up on $40.

If you have an Ebay account, you can just buy a new copy there. I just got mine brand new off Ebay for exactly $39. Ebay prices are reflecting the price drop right now.

GodofWine

H_Prestige said:

Agreed...I have no idea what the reviewers who gave it a 6 were thinking.

In terms of an arcade racer this is a 9.5 or 10

Damn, the 'red ring of death' race on wildfire is killing me. I have no clue how to get under 4:40. Even with a flawless race I still only manage 4:48 or something like that.

Ah, made it. Just a combination of the right route and the right vehicle.

Yoshichan

Orobi said:
Level 7!!! :D
Go go go cow boy!:D
Wait, what the hell? I've played online for like 40 hours and I'm still on level 4. And that golden trophy requires you to be level 5, and you're 7, wtf.

No45

Seiken said:
Wait, what the hell? I've played online for like 40 hours and I'm still on level 4. And that golden trophy requires you to be level 5, and you're 7, wtf.
Probably means Festival Rank 7?

Dragnet

Heres a tip: Don't boost in mid air (waste) but do boost just as you slam the ground, I find it straightens you out nicely and gives you that ever needed nudge :D Probably and old tip but meh..

Dragnet said:
Heres a tip: Don't boost in mid air (waste) but do boost just as you slam the ground, I find it straightens you out nicely and gives you that ever needed nudge :D Probably and old tip but meh..

Thats saved me from falling off many a cliff.

Another tip, pay attention to your pitch and roll with the terrain. When I see complaints about wiping out "for no reason" I wonder if they're simply ignoring pitch and hitting bumps at bad angles.

Top Bottom