• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr Driller for Nintendo DS famitsu scan

neo2046

up7702.jpg

turbos

Sweet Mother, if this is anything like the Dreamcast version. This alone is enough to make me buy a DS.

Jonnyram

I was telling DCharlie about this earlier... being able to see more depth will make this awesome, but that pressure mode looks cool too. I wonder if it will support wireless multiplayer.

Socreges

Banned
turbos said:
Sweet Mother, if this is anything like the Dreamcast version. This alone is enough to make me buy a DS.
Isn't there a GC Mr Driller coming out? If not, this definitely makes the DS a little more tempting to me.

neo2046

Jonnyram said:
I wonder if it will support wireless multiplayer.
In the interview the producer says the game supports max. 5 people to play,
although he has not mentioned 1 cart 5-play is available or not

Jonnyram

Oh I didn't read the interview :)
I notice he also says the "Dristone Mode" from Mr.Driller G is back. Only this time, the items will be listed on the top screen so you can select them easily. Fantastic!

Jonnyram

Socreges said:
Isn't there a GC Mr Driller coming out? If not, this definitely makes the DS a little more tempting to me.
It's been out in Japan for... ages. I think almost 2 years now. If it's not out yet in the US, I wouldn't hold my breath. It's awesome though, and worth importing, but it might be hard to find now.

Holy shit this looks awesome! I never even imagined that they'd do a pseudo-tate mode with the 2 screens. Insane! Here's hoping it has various modes like Drill Land. I'd go nuts for a new set of Drindy levels.

And speaking of Drill Land, it's definitely not hard to find - regularly sells on eBay for $30ish, and it's an absolute must-own. Seriously. It's one of the best games I can name from the last few years, and that's no silly fanboy exaggeration. It's really just that good!

Jonnyram

Johnny Nighttrain said:
although it doesn't seem likely at this point, any word on touch screen support as far as gameplay is concerned?
Yes, there are two control methods. One is the regular d-pad plus button to drill, the other is using the stylus to touch where you want to go next. The touch method will drill for you so it's a faster way to play (and thus makes double sense to have Susumu on the bottom screen).

excuse my ignorance here, since i have no idea what Susumu's purpose is as far as gameplay is concerned. so yeah, if there is touch screen controls, what are you to do when Mr Driller is on the top screen?

Jonnyram

Johnny Nighttrain said:
excuse my ignorance here, since i have no idea what Susumu's purpose is as far as gameplay is concerned. so yeah, if there is touch screen controls, what are you to do when Mr Driller is on the top screen?
Sorry for not being more clear. Susumu IS Mr.Driller. He is on the bottom screen all the time. So you touch the block left to him to move/drill that way, the block below to drill down, the block to the right of him to drill/move.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
They could set it up so that the very first lines of fluff to drill down are at the top of the panel, with background you drop past on the top screen, and it would continue to scroll from there.

... I'm still rather disappointed that it appears they didn't even really try to make this look better than the GBA Mr.D in any respect.

Jonnyram said:
Sorry for not being more clear. Susumu IS Mr.Driller. He is on the bottom screen all the time. So you touch the block left to him to move/drill that way, the block below to drill down, the block to the right of him to drill/move.
interesting. i thought the whole point was to work your way to the bottom. atleast that was the case with GBC Mr Driller. well, from what i remember.

Coen

Johnny Nighttrain said:
interesting. i thought the whole point was to work your way to the bottom. atleast that was the case with GBC Mr Driller. well, from what i remember.

It is, but the screen is scrolling down while you drill

Bobby, is it true that Drill-land doesn't function with freeloader?

Coen said:
It is, but the screen is scrolling down while you drill?
so let me get this straight cause now this simply isn't making any sense.

so what you're saying is, because the screen doesn't scroll anymore, there's no need to start from the top anymore?

Coen

Johnny Nighttrain said:

so what you're saying is, because the screen doesn't scroll anymore, there's no need to start from the top anymore?

Susumu start on top of a pile of stones, but he's never at the top of the screen. In stead, he's somewhere in the center and the screens scrolls to make sure Mr. Driller stays in the center. This is done simply because an important part of the Mr. Driller is avoiding the falling blocks. It would be impossible to avoid the blocks if Mr. Driller staid at the top, because you wouldn't be able to see the blocks falling.

On the DS, I'm expecting Mr. Driller to drill on the bottom screen, while the blocks will fall from the upperscreen. At the start, the topscreen will be filled with a wallpaper of the level or something like that, and the blocks will slowly 'scroll into' the top screen, while you make your way down.

Okay, I'm a Mr Driller noob... is that the guy from Dig Dug in the upper left of the pic? Has there always been a connection?

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Taizou was originally planned as the star of what would become Mr. Driller, back when the project was known as Dig-Attack:

hisutori2_r3_c2.gif
hisutori2_r3_c3.gif

He was then replaced by a sleepy bear with a ray-gun:

hisutori2_r9_c2.gif
hisutori2_r9_c3.gif

for a bit, until Susumu game along.

BuddyC

PkunkFury said:
Yikes, is there any way to save without a mod chip then?
Nope.

Well, to be fair, GameCubes don't require a mod chip. Modding a GameCube is ridiculously easy - all you do is take it apart, stick two wires in two holes, tape what's left of the exposed wires to the underside of the motherboard, then attach the wires to a toggle.

If you import Konga or Drill Land, the only way to save is to have a modded GC.

PkunkFury said:
Yikes, is there any way to save without a mod chip then?

Unfortunately not, which really sucks considering that the game has tons of stuff to unlock. I've traditionally offered to mod Gamecubes for free for anyone who wants to get the game, though, because I'm so interested in seeing Drill Land get into the hands of as many people possible. Nobody has taken me up on it yet. You could be the first! All I ask is that you pay for shipping both ways, which probably wouldn't cost too much. No worries about my skillz, either - I've modded 10-15 cubes for local friends now without incident.

Let me know if you're interested. There's probably a $30 copy of Drill Land calling your name on eBay as we speak. :D

^^^^^^^
This is a great deal. The mod itself usually costs $20-30 to have done professionally. Plus, if you use an online company like NCS, you still have to pay shipping.

bobbyconover said:
Unfortunately not, which really sucks considering that the game has tons of stuff to unlock. I've traditionally offered to mod Gamecubes for free for anyone who wants to get the game, though, because I'm so interested in seeing Drill Land get into the hands of as many people possible. Nobody has taken me up on it yet. You could be the first! All I ask is that you pay for shipping both ways, which probably wouldn't cost too much. No worries about my skillz, either - I've modded 10-15 cubes for local friends now without incident.

Let me know if you're interested. There's probably a $30 copy of Drill Land calling your name on eBay as we speak. :D

I think I'll be taking you up on that offer Bobby!

Jonnyram said:
Yes, it's Susumu's dad, Taizou Hori:
mukasi.gif

OH FUCK. I love driller and played it heaps on my GBA. Never realised that connection though - guess I shold have seen this. The game is digital crack. Fun and challenging.

Driller +1
Dig Dug +1

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If bobby is willing to mod peoples gamecubes for this game, i gotta try it out. Just ordered one offa ebay.

Bobby, do you know if the music in Drill Land is done by the same team as the music from Katamari Damacy? It sounds very similar, production quality is similar. Also, is there a soundtrack rip anywhere? As far as I can tell, the soundtrack isnt available on CD. It's great music, if you like the stuff in KD you'll like this too.

But its not just music, that makes Drill Land rock, the gameplay is kick ass! I think the Duraga level is my favorite, but its so hard to choose. I'm a bit heartborken to be honest, my game cube was stolen and the only reason I was upset was becasue Drill Land was the game in it at the time. Stupid theives wont even appreciate what they have. Esp since the Box and artwork were left behind, it kills me to think it will be sold for $5, if even that much. :(:( At least I still have my Taizou and Pucci dolls to cuddle with tho.

anyway, I thnk I will have to buy a DS knowing theres a Driller game for it. Im such a sucker.

onion_pixy said:
Bobby, do you know if the music in Drill Land is done by the same team as the music from Katamari Damacy? It sounds very similar, production quality is similar. Also, is there a soundtrack rip anywhere? As far as I can tell, the soundtrack isnt available on CD. It's great music, if you like the stuff in KD you'll like this too.

Amazingly enough, none of the same musicians worked on Katamari. Considering that the musicians behind the Klonoa soundtracks are different as well, Namco just must have some of the most talented musicians in the industry. Most of the music from the Driller games is by a guy named Go Shiina (also "Go C-Na" and other weird spellings). There actually is a 2 CD soundtrack album called "Mr Driller Soundtracks" available which compiles the music from the original game, the sequel, the GBC version, the GBA port of Mr Driller 2, and Mr Driller G. Though it has a lot of the tracks from Drill Land (as several games share them), there are a few awesome tracks missing from it, as well as all of the music from Mr Driller A.

I decided a while back that it's absolutely necessary that someone rip the music from Drill Land, and I guess I'm a pretty good guy for the job. I already have a fellow GAFer lined up to translate the track names from the sound test, so it should kick some ass. I'll let you know when I get to it. :D

Oh, and as for people wanting their cubes modded.. I'll do as many as possible, but please don't go around spreading the word like crazy. I might already be in trouble, as some random non-GAF folks have been sending me e-mails this morning asking for free mods.. I'm all in favor of hooking up some GAF buddies, but I don't know if I need the entire population of Gamefaqs hitting me up. :) If you're interested and want to get the ball rolling, though, go ahead and e-mail me at bobbyconover@comcast.net.

WarPig

There actually is a 2 CD soundtrack album called "Mr Driller Soundtracks" available which compiles the music from the original game, the sequel, the GBC version, the GBA port of Mr Driller 2, and Mr Driller G. Though it has a lot of the tracks from Drill Land (as several games share them), there are a few awesome tracks missing from it, as well as all of the music from Mr Driller A.

Is that the one that comes in the super-funky opaque pink jewel case? I love that album, because the cover just reads "FANTASTIC SOUND FROM YOKOHAMA UNDERGROUND."

DFS.

WarPig said:
Is that the one that comes in the super-funky opaque pink jewel case? I love that album, because the cover just reads "FANTASTIC SOUND FROM YOKOHAMA UNDERGROUND."

That's the one! Opaque pink with a giant smiling Susumu face and FANTASTIC SOUND on the back. I'm constantly afraid that I'll break the jewel case, since it'd be pretty much impossible to replace without buying an entirely new one.

BuddyChrist83 said:
Nope.

Well, to be fair, GameCubes don't require a mod chip. Modding a GameCube is ridiculously easy - all you do is take it apart, stick two wires in two holes, tape what's left of the exposed wires to the underside of the motherboard, then attach the wires to a toggle.

If you import Konga or Drill Land, the only way to save is to have a modded GC.
though i would strongly recommend solder over tape, taping does indeed work...

The soundtrack for Mr. Driller Land is roughly as good as Katamari's? That's it, somebody must provide hosting stat. The music alone could convince me to get this game, as it did with Katamari Damashii (which ended up having a game as good or better than the music.)

BuddyChrist83 said:
I just bought Drill Land off eBay, should be here in a week or so. I hope you're happy bobby.

Drillland is 2000y new at some stores in Akihabara.

It's SOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo good. Christ on a pony.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
I wish so much that they'd go back to the Driller-G era character designs. This new pencil-thin wildstyle stuff just is not doing it for me, and doesn't jibe well at all with the other design elements like the valen-times bird.

BRING BACK THE BOLD.

jarrod

Banned
So... why hasn't Namco ever ported Drill Land to PS2? Isn't Driller pretty popular in Japan? And hasn't there been no Driller releases on PS2 to date?

Now that Namco Hometek's so niche friendly, I think they should really consider localizing Drill Land as a budget US GameCube release. If Katamari can do it...

Coen

Johnny Nighttrain said:

In case you still don't understand, this pic shows how it works:

dsd02.jpg

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Loving Pressure Mode so much, lovin' it.

I'm hoping Hometek's decisions aren't being driven by sales of the first Driller considering how far it's come since then play-wise -- seems infinitely more valuable and accessible now, a true puzzler far removed from the original one-trick concept.

Top Bottom