• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought that was the best episode since the pilot. Lots of great performances and plot advancement! This show has such swagger for something in its first year.

Is there a team "Elliot is the head persona?" I don't necessarily believe that but I feel like the show is too smart to do the straight Fight Club thing OR the Mr. Robot is real thing. It has to subvert those expectations in some way.
Why do they need to subvert it? Would that be narratively satisfying?

Why do they need to subvert it? Would that be narratively satisfying?
I wouldn't say they NEED to, but the show has built that expectation in me. A lesser show would go down the obvious, telegraphed route. Truth be told I'm not sure this isn't a lesser show yet, it just came out swinging so hard it caught me off guard. I'm fascinated by it. Could just be giving it too much credit.

Mindlog

I wouldn't say they NEED to, but the show has built that expectation in me. A lesser show would go down the obvious, telegraphed route. Truth be told I'm not sure this isn't a lesser show yet, it just came out swinging so hard it caught me off guard. I'm fascinated by it. Could just be giving it too much credit.
That's pretty much the same sentiment I've expressed since the first episode. The show bathes in cliche with purpose. There is no satisfactory conclusion. A twist is expected and playing it straightforward would be letting down the world they've done a brilliant job crafting. How do they surprise me without boring me when every permutation of this story has already been told? I'm not too worried about it yet because what they've done so far has been very entertaining. Unfortunately(?) that just keeps raising my expectations!

Mr Robot interacting with other people isn't evidence until we see him and Elliot interacting with others at the same time.

I'm surprised people didn't talk more about that this is the first time that Mr Robot has got scenes without Elliot in them (and been introduced as a new POV) and it's only come as a result of Elliot having less scenes and becoming more withdrawn after Shayla's death, whereas Mr Robot becomes more psychotic. It's like a seesaw.

Macadinho

Banned
One scene that would suggest it's split personalities is in the pilot when Elliot first arrives at the arcade Darlene is waiting outside smoking a cigarette and explicitly asks him for access to the rootkit (or whatever he left on EvilCorps servers) without supposedly never meeting him or knowing it was him who had access.

That's pretty much the same sentiment I've expressed since the first episode. The show bathes in cliche with purpose. There is no satisfactory conclusion. A twist is expected and playing it straightforward would be letting down the world they've done a brilliant job crafting. How do they surprise me without boring me when every permutation of this story has already been told? I'm not too worried about it yet because what they've done so far has been very entertaining. Unfortunately(?) that just keeps raising my expectations!
Yup, absolutely. I guess we just enjoy the ride as long as it lasts!
One scene that would suggest it's split personalities is in the pilot when Elliot first arrives at the arcade Darlene is waiting outside smoking a cigarette and explicitly asks him for access to the rootkit (or whatever he left on EvilCorps servers) without supposedly never meeting him or knowing it was him who had access.
The pilot played up the Tyler Durden thing harder than any episode since, in my opinion. I was shocked people took anything other than Mr. Robot being in Elliot's head from it.

awp69

Another great episode, although I still hold last week's episode with its riveting trunk scene as the one to top.

Anyone noticing that the scene framing seems to be getting more and more like Breaking Bad? Not a bad thing, but the camera work in some scenes seems like it would fit in with BB.

Love the unsettling feeling that any minute something bad could go down. The rooftop scene. I didn't expect it to go that far.

Great stuff. I do wish we could get Elliot in full on rage mode after last week. I hope that isn't the last we see of Vera.

I realize the three month time jump took away some of the sting and we see Elliot still coping with her loss. But as someone who was trying to use his skills to help others, I wouldn't have expected him to just drop the situation and not want to put the screws on Vera. I know there's no "operation" left to put down, but surely there is something he could have countered with.

I again actually think that storyline was more enthralling than Mr. Robot / Evil Corp.

cyborg009

Banned
Has anyone noticed that we've never seen Elliot father in his flashbacks? If Mr.Robot isn't real I think he would look just like his Dad.

Final shot of the final episode: Elliott is talking to the camera about something when it pulls back and reveals that he was talking to Mr. Robot the whole time and some other character acknowledges Mr. Robot.

Zomba13

From the viewer's perspective we see Mr. Robot as a different person, a physical embodiment of his other personality, but from the people in the world's perspective they simply see Elliot.

This is my feelings. Every time he's interacted with another person either Elliot isn't there or is in a passive state (or going through withdrawl). The moment we see Elliot interact with Mr Robot in front of someone will tell us for sure because it'd actually be Elliot talking to himself and having a breakdown in front of other people with them reacting.

sirap

Man, that rooftop scene was really hard for me to watch. Kinda disappointed with Tyrell's direction, expected him to be more like Doctor Doom than this.

Komo

Banned
Tyrell's reaction after what he did on the rooftop was really raw and made the scene that much more hard hitting. Goddamn.

Zomba13

Man, that rooftop scene was really hard for me to watch. Kinda disappointed with Tyrell's direction, expected him to be more like Doctor Doom than this.

I think I like it better this way. Like he thinks of himself as this cool, calculating, manipulative figure but really he's not good at it and it's clear his wife is the real manipulator. It's interesting seeing him fail and mess up at trying to climb the corporate ladder rather than just end up manipulating people and getting all his goals done.

cyborg009

Banned
This was the song from the roof scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yDP9MKVhZc
she has other amazing tracks too.

I think I like it better this way. Like he thinks of himself as this cool, calculating, manipulative figure but really he's not good at it and it's clear his wife is the real manipulator. It's interesting seeing him fail and mess up at trying to climb the corporate ladder rather than just end up manipulating people and getting all his goals done.
It looks like the old CTO is coming back so now he's back at the starting position.

Yes, that's been a popular theory ever since his father was brought up on the show. Seems very plausible!

It always bother me since we always see his mother. If the writers hide her face I probably wouldn't have suspected it.

Mr Robot interacting with other people isn't evidence until we see him and Elliot interacting with others at the same time.

You mean like a couple episodes ago when Darlene wanted to go through with melting down Stone Mountain and Mr. Robot screamed and threw shit at her before Elliot got her to stand down?

Catdaddy

I'm confused by how this show is airing on USA after seeing episode 3. I mean, that was nearly HBO levels if R-ratedness. Is it being uncensored in Hulu and more censored on TV?

After the graphic scrotum scene, why bother censoring fuck? I thought it might be an imported show, but nope its a USA original. I guess they want the uncensored on hulu??

Between this and Humans, they are two of my favorite shows to come along in a while.

Zoe

You mean like a couple episodes ago when Darlene wanted to go through with melting down Stone Mountain and Mr. Robot screamed and threw shit at her before Elliot got her to stand down?

There was still a break there. Elliot stood back while Mr Robot did his thing and vice versa.

There was still a break there. Elliot stood back while Mr Robot did his thing and vice versa.
Plus, even in that moment when he looks at his phone and sees a call from Shayla, which is the only time Elliot is doing anything while Mr Robot was leading the conversation, it's at the exact moment that Mr Robot is ducking his head in an alcove out of the audience's view.

maxcriden

After the graphic scrotum scene, why bother censoring fuck? I thought it might be an imported show, but nope its a USA original. I guess they want the uncensored on hulu??

Between this and Humans, they are two of my favorite shows to come along in a while.

Sorry, was this "graphic scrotum scene" in the first few episodes or something still to come?

struggling to remember what this scrotum scene even was

I also don't remember anything particularly crazy in episode 3 though

The only one I actually watched on Hulu was the pilot. You guys are making me wonder if the ones I'm watching on USA are missing entire scenes or something

Zoe

It was verbally graphic, not visually.

I guess episode 3 had the gay sex (and cleanup) scene?

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...

Mr. Robot and Trenton are not real (as real in person), IMO it is pretty obvious right now, especially Mr. Robot.

Exactly. Mindblowing that all the #teamreal people on Twitter have such trouble with that.

Guess not everybody has seen Fight Club afterall.

At first it was "clear" that Mr. Robot was a delusion because only Elliot seems to talk to him.

Later that was broken, as we saw him talking with other people apart from Elliot. Then it was argued that it's part of Elliot delusion, it's Elliot really talking with other characters and him imagining it's actually Mr. Robot.

Then we see Mr. Robot talking with other people even without Elliot present, and now it's argued it's Elliot doing the talking but it's a case of split personality, sometimes he is Mr. Robot and he acts like Mr. Robot, other times he also acts like Mr. Robot but a part of him still acts like Elliot is present.

I mean, it could be, perfectly. Yeah, I also watched Fight Club. But I see a clear... movement in the goalposts.
Whatever it happens in the series, it can be argued it's Elliot's imagination, the series uses an unreliable narrator, etc.
But where does it ends? Shit, maybe all the FSociety characters are a figment of Elliot's mind and he is lone hacker all along, and each character represents a piece of his psyche!!

Who is the super ego, the id and the ego?

Uh? Obviously all Fsociety knew who was Elliot before Elliot knows of them. They got in contact with him. They tested him. They messaged him in the server, later they got in contact physically.

At first it was "clear" that Mr. Robot was a delusion because only Elliot seems to talk to him.

Later that was broken, as we saw him talking with other people apart from Elliot. Then it was argued that it's part of Elliot delusion, it's Elliot really talking with other characters and him imagining it's actually Mr. Robot.

Then we see Mr. Robot talking with other people even without Elliot present, and now it's argued it's Elliot doing the talking but it's a case of split personality, sometimes he is Mr. Robot and he acts like Mr. Robot, other times he also acts like Mr. Robot but a part of him still acts like Elliot is present.

I mean, it could be, perfectly. Yeah, I also watched Fight Club. But I see a clear... movement in the goalposts.
Whatever it happens in the series, it can be argued it's Elliot's imagination, the series uses an unreliable narrator, etc.
But where does it ends? Shit, maybe all the FSociety characters are a figment of Elliot's mind and he is lone hacker all along, and each character represents a piece of his psyche!!

Who is the super ego, the id and the ego?

Uh? Obviously all Fsociety knew who was Elliot before Elliot knows of them. They got in contact with him. They tested him. They messaged him in the server, later they got in contact physically.

Dunno where you're getting all these theories from. I've only ever seen one that's been constant since episode 1/2: that Elliot and Mr Robot are the same person and just like Fight Club, it's a mixed case of schizophrenia and diassosiative identity disorder.

Siegcram

Who is the super ego, the id and the ego?.
Darlene, Mobley and Romero are clearly their own characters. They are interacting with each other and have stuff of their own going on. The only other iffy member of fSociety is Trenton, but I'm pretty sure she's also real.

There's no goalpost moving. Elliot and MR are the same person and are interchangeable on screen.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Dunno where you're getting all these theories from. I've only ever seen one that's been constant since episode 1/2: that Elliot and Mr Robot are the same person and just like Fight Club, it's a mixed case of schizophrenia and diassosiative identity disorder.

We know for sure that Elliot/Mr Robot and Darlene/Trenton are real.

I think Elliot and Darlene have a deeper connection than the show is letting out as of now. In the very first episode Mr. Robot introduces the fsociety team, including Trenton. I would say right now that Romero and Mobley are real but I'm not 100% on that just yet.

Meier

Anyone thinking this is too graphic for cable needs to watch The Americans on FX

I think most people are just surprised it's on USA. FX has always toed the line, right from the start in The Shield with all of the sex scenes being shot at just the right angle. USA has more of a goofy persona.

CRS

Yeah, you'd never know this show was on USA if it didn't have the logo on the screen.

Also, not sure how it's been with other networks but USA has been in love with the word "shit". It's only a matter of time where they're allowed a couple uncensored "fuck"s.

Zoe

Also, not sure how it's been with other networks but USA has been in love with the word "shit". It's only a matter of time where they're allowed a couple uncensored "fuck"s.

What I find annoying is Suits' overuse of "goddamn" as a substitute for "fucking". Or at least that's what makes more sense to me.

Anyone thinking this is too graphic for cable needs to watch The Americans on FX
Hah, I was going to say that to Max earlier. Moving past the "graphic" content, people should watch that because it's fantastic. Fans of good TV, hell, good storytelling, need to get on that bandwagon. Wonderful show.

I keep lagging a week behind everyone. Just caught up with last week's.

That fucking end hit like a brick. Poor Shayla. I cannot wait for Elliot and Vera to meet again. I hope Elliot fucking destroys him.

The actor playing Vera has such a great presence. He really makes for a great villain. And Rami Malek just fucking killed it in that final scene.

I keep lagging a week behind everyone. Just caught up with last week's.

That fucking end hit like a brick. Poor Shayla. I cannot wait for Elliot and Vera to meet again. I hope Elliot fucking destroys him.

The actor playing Vera has such a great presence. He really makes for a great villain. And Rami Malek just fucking killed it in that final scene.

Catch up! You're still an episode behind goddammit!

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Just watched the first episodes of this. Really cool series so far, great visuals and I love how 'real' the world and computer talk is.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Given the advice before going to talk to her ("Steady") and then having what looked like a wet wipe, I think it might've been planned.

He seems like the dude that would have wet wipes.
And painting the inside of your victim's mouth with your DNA and using your bare hands to strangle them isn't the smartest thing to do. And he couldn't have anticipated her not scratching him.

He would have had a bottle of bleach or gloves or something.

I'm just curious as to how this plays out.

Realistically, even if he did leave his DNA on her, the cops can't get it w/o a court order. There's no reason they'd have his DNA to match with.

And this thread has been labeled "Byte Club" for a while. We still haven't seen Elliot/Mr. Robot interacting with a third party at the same time. Elliot's disheveled look, baggy eyes, and drug problems really point to him walking around as "Mr. Robot" in an unconscious state. It's a total "Fight Club."

I don't think there's anything wrong with having a twist, or the twist being this transparent, there's obviously a lot of other good things going on. When Shyla was first introduced
I didn't expect her to end up in the trunk of a car. I didn't expect Tyrell to be a murderer. I didn't expect Angela to maybe take the fall and bring down her company.
These characters are definitely acting unpredictably.

I listened to a podcast Rami did with Grantland (it's a video pod, it's on youtube if you search it), and the guy interviewing him said he thought the show might be about Elliot the super hacker, taking down somebody in a coffee shop every week. Even now, I'm not sure what this show is, because Tyrell just broke genre real hard.

I listened to a podcast Rami did with Grantland (it's a video pod, it's on youtube if you search it), and the guy interviewing him said he thought the show might be about Elliot the super hacker, taking down somebody in a coffee shop every week. Even now, I'm not sure what this show is, because Tyrell just broke genre real hard.

That's the impression I got as well when I read the synopsis and watched that clip from episode 1 that got me into the show. Thought it was going to be like Dexter but with a hacker. But I was so wrong.

What the fuck.

Angela planning to torch AllSafe.

Mr Robot threatening Romero with the gun.

Oh, and Tyrrell fucking MURDERING Sharon. The way the music cut out and it's Tyrrell breaking down.

Jesus Christ.

The scene with Shayla was heart breaking.

And man, that ending with Krista.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom