• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if anyone was familiar with the song from the opening scene but since no one mentioned it and I forgot before that I wanted to Some Velvet Morning playing at the diner was an interesting song choice. I do think this episode was Elliot's "Breaking Bad" moment where shit is going to start to spiral.

You might be interested in this article with the show creator: http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-influences-taxi-driver-girls.html

Talks about his film influences in terms of cinematography, camera movement, tone, story, framing scenes.

Not surprising with the influences but a good read.

Vera's brother (rip) is attractive as fuck in the show. He's come pretty far too.

Like I said before, he'll always be Ben from Reaper to me, I've recognized him or especially his voice in a lot of things since Reaper ended.

chefbags

That final 5 minutes was horrific but I loved that the show went there. I hope Elliot is on the path of war against Vera one day. I think he'll be an expanding villain next season.

Chobel

One thing that threw me off, and might've just been a scripting mistake, was that Tyrell said the phrase "Evil Corp" when talking to the CTO. Elliot wasn't there to imagine it. Unless Tyrell has that same internal affectation.

Strangely that happened only in the "previously"introduction section. In the previous episode Tyrell didn't say "Evil Corp", he actually said "They".

Oh no :(
poor Shayla

Nice episode, but I want the show to be more focused on Evil Corp than those dudes. And I'm more and more prone to believe that
Mr. Robot
is indeed a product of Elliot's imagination.

awp69

Oh no :(
poor Shayla

Nice episode, but I want the show to be more focused on Evil Corp than those dudes. And I'm more and more prone to believe that
Mr. Robot
is indeed a product of Elliot's imagination.

Funny because after that episode I want to see Elliott to go batshit crazy on those dudes. Actually find this dark twist more interesting than the main storyline.

Great stuff nonetheless and maybe they can balance both plot lines.

The preview, though, did look much more focused back on Evil Corp.

Funny because after that episode I want to see Elliott to go batshit crazy on those dudes. Actually find this dark twist more interesting than the main storyline.

Great stuff nonetheless and maybe they can balance both plot lines.

The preview, though, did look much more focused back on Evil Corp.

I don't think it'll be Elliot getting his vengeance on, it'll be Mr. Robot.

Ke0

Just finished this week's episode. Absolutely fantastic.

My second favorite show on TV after Hannibal.

My only issue with the trunk scene was they didn't need to show the body. You knew just from his reaction as well as the initial shot of her legs and nothing happening afterwards. Sometimes showing less has even more of an impact.

But that last minute was one of the most tense scenes I've seen in any show.

With Hannibal nearing the end (bar any miracle or future feature), this will rise to the top of my list. Perhaps Fargo if it is as good as it was last season.

I actually think taking their time to show it was a good touch. Despite how Elliot was acting my flatmates didn't know whether or not he didn't know for sure if she was dead or out cold. They kept betting she was alive but missing a limb or something.

CRS

Last episode was brutal and fantastic, but the ending was very predictable
Yeah, her fate was sealed when Mr. Robot said that both of them wouldn't get out of the situation alive.

I think Tyrell's fuel is not becoming a failure than it is about just being power hungry. He could have had a poor (in terms of money) upbringing and will do anything to prevent that from ever happening again. Hence the beating of the homeless man, his last conversation with Elliot, and how angry he got after getting destroyed by the CEO.

Nameless

RzoQZKl.gif

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Get that shit outta here. :p

Seriously, watching this show side by side with season 2 of True Detective is giving me flashbacks to concurrently watching the finale seasons of Breaking Bad and Dexter.

rtcn63

Seriously, watching this show side by side with season 2 of True Detective is giving me flashbacks to concurrently watching the finale seasons of Breaking Bad and Dexter.

Considering how he talks, maybe they accidentally switched the characters of Vera and Stan from the two shows.

Frog-fu

Banned
I don't think comparisons to other shows are really valid until we're at least two seasons in. True Detective had a fantastic first season but its following season isn't half as good.

Great as Mr Robot has been thus far, it could go the way of TD just as easily.

I don't think comparisons to other shows are really valid until we're at least two seasons in. True Detective had a fantastic first season but its following season isn't half as good.

Great as Mr Robot has been thus far, it could go the way of TD just as easily.

If anything is going to let Mr Robot down, it'll be the writing.

TD is a different beast given the change in camera work, story, characters, actors, setting etc. Season 2 is a different show in all but name.

Frog-fu

Banned
If anything is going to let Mr Robot down, it'll be the writing.

TD is a different beast given the change in camera work, story, characters, actors, setting etc. Season 2 is a different show in all but name.

The writing is always the biggest priority with TV dramas. We can forgive bad writing in movies if the actors are great, but TV is a different experience. David Milch, the creator of Deadwood, recently commented on True Detective and I think he was pretty spot on. The first season is always going to be more decisive piece of work. Mr Robot hasn't even concluded its first season yet, but we're confident it will be good. Depending on where they take this cyberpunk thriller story next, it could reach new heights or become super cringeworthy, really.

I don't think TD is all that different. It's an anthology series, all that really changes is the cast and story, but at its core, each season will deal with a mystery of some kind that has to be unsolved against some kind of back drop. Season 1 had its deep south occult, which was fantastic. Season 2 is doing its noir thing, which really could have been great but was executed poorly. Who knows what season 3 brings, maybe something gothic or whatever, it'll be interesting no doubt, but whether it will be executed correctly, we'll just have to wait and see.

Frog-fu

Banned
I'd say that's a pretty big change.

They're big changes, but in the context of anthology series, the characters and stories aren't as big of a deal as the type of characters and stories.

True Detective will always be about complex, broken individuals whose stories involve season long mysteries set in different locations against different cinematic backdrops and themes.

Season 1 featured two detectives uncovering a trail of murders in the deept south occult.

Season 2 features two detectives, a police officer and a career criminal solving a murder conspiracy in noir LA.

On the surface, plenty different. At its core, not so much.

So is Tyrell actually a gay character? I almost saw it as he is so obsessed with that position, he will do anything to get it?

Silkworm

The writing is always the biggest priority with TV dramas. We can forgive bad writing in movies if the actors are great, but TV is a different experience. David Milch, the creator of Deadwood, recently commented on True Detective and I think he was pretty spot on. The first season is always going to be more decisive piece of work. Mr Robot hasn't even concluded its first season yet, but we're confident it will be good. Depending on where they take this cyberpunk thriller story next, it could reach new heights or become super cringeworthy, really.

I don't think TD is all that different. It's an anthology series, all that really changes is the cast and story, but at its core, each season will deal with a mystery of some kind that to be unsolved against some kind of back drop. Season 1 had its deep south occult, which was fantastic. Season 2 is doing its noir thing, which really could have been great but was executed poorly. Who knows what season 3 brings, maybe something gothic or whatever, it'll be interesting no doubt, but whether it will be executed correctly, we'll just have to wait and see.

Same thing is going to happen to Fargo with its second season. Fingers crossed it keeps up to the same level the first season did but now with a whole different cast. It won't be easy to match Billy Bob Thorton's Lorne Malvo performance from the 1st season, but seeing Bruce Campbell play as Ronald Reagan should be entertaining :-D

maxcriden

Gave the first ep another shot and really was impressed for the most part.

Spoilery question: please tell me nothing happens to
the doggie.

Frog-fu

Banned
So is Tyrell actually a gay character? I almost saw it as he is so obsessed with that position, he will do anything to get it?

Why is this the automatic assumption when a presumed straight character has a sexual encounter with the same-sex, don't bisexual people exist anymore?

Akahige

I really wish they didn't pan down to show Shayla's face during the final scene, but gotdamn what an intense moment anyway.
Yeah extremely tense moment, Rami performance would have sold the scene fine without showing anything, I haven't seen a breakout actor like this since Tatiana in Orphan Black but in this case the show has more to offer than just a great performance from the lead.

Meier

As a viewer, I'm glad they showed it as it provided more closure. I don't think it detracted in any way.

Why is this the automatic assumption when a presumed straight character has a sexual encounter with the same-sex, don't bisexual people exist anymore?

I think the question is still legitimate if you replace gay with bisexual. My assumption is that he is probably neither gay nor bisexual but will do whatever it takes to get what he wants.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

95% of male-male same sex encounters in Hollywood at large (and 100% of male-male same sex encounters in gay cinema) mean the characters are both 100% gay, and any hint of romantic entanglement with women just means they're in denial.

It's pretty damn frustrating most of the time, but it looks like this show (and Halt and Catch Fire) are bucking the trend.

rexor0717

95% of male-male same sex encounters in Hollywood at large (and 100% of male-male same sex encounters in gay cinema) mean the characters are both 100% gay, and any hint of romantic entanglement with women just means they're in denial.

It's pretty damn frustrating most of the time, but it looks like this show (and Halt and Catch Fire) are bucking the trend.

It'd be a nice change. I hope he is bi, but I just like his character especially after the last episode.

tmdorsey

All caught up with the show and I'm loving it. Feel kinda stupid reading the thread that I didn't figure out Mr. Robot was in Elliot's head. :-/

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
It'd be a nice change. I hope he is bi, but I just like his character especially after the last episode.

I hope he is hetero, that will mean that he is willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants. At least that's what I took from that scene.

So shit happened and I was finally able to watch it tonight. Yeah, didn't have high hopes for Shayla, but damn good intro on her predicament at the diner.

The trunk scene.... damn. I immediately assumed she was dead, but I got a bit of hope she was still there. Then..... damn.

And like others have mentioned..... I think I'm ok if the personality thing ends up being a Fight Club situation now. With overall quality that I just watched, I can somewhat accept it a little bit more.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Also neat: the subversive element that we all expected and hoped for with Tyrell was that his pregnant wife is actually in on his psychopathic power schemes. That's an...interesting dynamic for a villainous power couple, lol.

Well, I mean she knew what he was doing by going out clubbing and screwing that one dude before coming home to her. So she surely knew his plans. But her being totally in on powering their way to the higher ups of Evil Corp? Yeah that was a twist.

As for Shayla: That intro threw me for a loop because I thought my DVR fucked up. But it's bad that I knew what was going to happen when it did. Sucks, but she's payment for Elliot going clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom