• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enk

makes good threads.
I hope the real twist is that the show never does a Mr. Robot and Elliot reveal and just continues to leave everyone guessing to the very last frame. :p

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Why does this show even need to have Tyrrell?

I feel like it could do without him.

Tyrrell is awesome, I don't even care if his storyline doesn't collide hard with Elliot's but I'm sure they will.
There's not a single boring character on the show, and as someone not living in the US, NYC looks insanely good.

Mindlog

I hope the real twist is that the show never does a Mr. Robot and Elliot reveal and just continues to leave everyone guessing to the very last frame. :p
Keep telling everyone there's a big 5 season plan.
USA cancels Mr. Robot in season 4.

Go one or two years without saying anything.
USA announces 1 year of Mr. Elliot.

Nocebo

While the show is fairly realistic when it comes to hacking and such, I'm starting to wonder how realistic it is/going to be when it comes to crime investigation. Will there even be a follow up to the Shayla's and Vera's brother's deaths? And using wipes on a corpse doesn't really remove much evidence I think.

Hopefully those things get a believable followup on the next episode.

Zoe

While the show is fairly realistic when it comes to hacking and such, I'm starting to wonder how realistic it is/going to be when it comes to crime investigation. Will there even be a follow up to the Shayla's and Vera's brother's deaths? And using wipes on a corpse doesn't really remove much evidence I think.

Hopefully those things get a believable followup on the next episode.
It's been a month since Shayla was found next to the body of the brother of a known drug dealer and murderer who just escaped out of prison. I doubt anything more will happen there.

The CTO's wife is another story.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
It's been a month since Shayla was found next to the body of the brother of a known drug dealer and murderer who just escaped out of prison. I doubt anything more will happen there.

The CTO's wife is another story.

I doubt they let it lie forever. Vera would be a great secondary nemesis for Elliot

Enco

I'm up to ep 5 now. Really cool show.

Trying not to spoil anything but I read the comment about that guy not being real and I 100% agree. No way he's real.

Wonder when the reveal will be.

Gorthaur

Banned
Call me dumb. It never ever crossed my mind that Elliot and Mr Robot could be different personalities of the same person. I still don't believe it.

Call me dumb. It never ever crossed my mind that Elliot and Mr Robot could be different personalities of the same person. I still don't believe it.

Part of this might be how familiar you are with Fight Club. If a person has never seen that I can see them not even being suspicious here.

rtcn63

Didn't either until I read this thread, and I have seen Fight Club. I think it's modern network shows priming us for twists, so people tend to pay more attention to the minutia.

I dislike the antagonist's scenes. He's too cartoonish compared to the other characters (ignoring Elliot's inner monologues), but I've never worked in a large corporation, so he may very well be based off a real archetype. Just right now, it feels like the writers thought the show needed a foil and a villain, so they started spinning the wheels just in case.

Akahige

Caught up with the show finally, Tyrrell holy fuck, was not expecting that at all. He doesn't seem to be in as much control as I thought, or any at all.

Shayla flashback scene was depressing and cute at the same time.

This thread seems to be growing each week, glad gaf is on the Mr. Robot train.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finally caught the last episode and goddamn yet another fantastic one. Not a single bad episode. Lead actor in this legit deserves actor Emmy. I dont think he was eligible this season or something. Seriously though GAF if you arent watching this you should try and find a way to start.

I haven't kept up with the ratings but while they're not amazing the show I see isn't doing horribly for a new summer series on cable. I wonder how many watchers the show has online.

Figured it's worth mentioning... In episode 5, Darlene gets banned from the Dark Army IRC channel. The IRC logs are on screen just long enough to see that the Dark Army channel was #da7Q_9RnPjm on Freenode. Turns out, everyone flocked to that channel after the episode aired and it has turned into a sizable channel at almost 200 users strong. It gets more active around the time the show airs which makes it a great way to talk about the latest episode in real time.

Figured it's worth mentioning... In episode 5, Darlene gets banned from the Dark Army IRC channel. The IRC logs are on screen just long enough to see that the Dark Army channel was #da7Q_9RnPjm on Freenode. Turns out, everyone flocked to that channel after the episode aired and it has turned into a sizable channel at almost 200 users strong. It gets more active around the time the show airs which makes it a great way to talk about the latest episode in real time.

G6zfcso.gif

Nice try, FBI.

Sh1ner

I am loving how they keep building up Tyrell as this larger than life character that is willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants but at the same time give him some big flaws.

Its shown he does care what other people think of him, he is a control freak who falls apart when things don't go his way, he acts with emotion when pushed when he is normally calculating.

Where Elliot has shown to be logical but with an undercurrent of emotion that leaks through instead of exploding on screen like with Tyrell. Elliot tries to make the most logical moves... its gonna be fun watching these two.

Elliot wants to burn the company down, the question is what happens next episode and will Tyrell finally be pit against Elliots goals or will his goals align with Elliots. I hope they end up working together in an awkward alliance as they both need something from each other but neither trust each other until a season or two down the line where they end up facing each other with intimate knowledge how they both see the world and their reactions whilst we see both sides of trying to outplay each other.

NaM

Elliot wants to burn the company down, the question is what happens next episode and will Tyrell finally be pit against Elliots goals or will his goals align with Elliots. I hope they end up working together in an awkward alliance as they both need something from each other but neither trust each other until a season or two down the line where they end up facing each other with intimate knowledge how they both see the world and their reactions whilst we see both sides of trying to outplay each other.

This isn't death note.
Isn't it?

Blackhead

Redarse
Just watched the first episode.... Think I'll keep watching.

But....feels a lot like geeky dexter ....may or may not be a bad thing

Dexter for wannabe hackers

I've never watched Dexter

Am I the only one who thinks its a Dexter esk scenario?

^ yes, very.

This is what I hope the show doesn't turn into. It definitely has that kind of feel when the CD case was shown with all the people he's 'connected with'.

Whats wrong with digital Dexter.

This episode puts attention directly on Elliot. Party he had with his boss is now significant because they all met his now dead girlfriend. News will probably report that the prison cells were hacked, making those close to Elliot bound to see the connection. Elliot's boss will be like that cop in Dexter that's always suspecting.

Tyrell might make a second push for the wife, which is a dangerous game since the boss is onto him. I wonder why the boss doesn't just fire him.

That's the impression I got as well when I read the synopsis and watched that clip from episode 1 that got me into the show. Thought it was going to be like Dexter but with a hacker. But I was so wrong.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Part of this might be how familiar you are with Fight Club. If a person has never seen that I can see them not even being suspicious here.

Just finished watching episode 7 and it never crossed my mind either.

I almost want to watch all the episodes again with that in mind to see if I notice any fuckery happening in the scenes where Mr. Robot, Elliott and the group are together.

CRS

The hints were heavy in the pilot and a little less as the show went on.

No one except for Elliot making eye contact with Mr. Robot is one. (in the pilot)

Einchy

I hope Eliot isn't Mr. Robot since there are scenes that wouldn't make too much sense if they were the same person.

Einchy

When Mr. Robot went and threaten the Bubbles looking guy into coming back to the group.

Or the scene where Darlene was about to launch the attack and she was about to it do when Mr. Robot got close to her but let Elite walk right next to her since she trusted him.

It could be quickly explained away but those would be some big red herrings if they are the same person.

Like the scene where Mr. Robot flips his shit and points a gun at Romero. Elliot does not own a gun. Elliot is not a violent person. Elliot does not rely on other people for his own success and is in general not capable of organizing people for a greater cause. If it was actually Elliot, Romero would have said something about his drug usage instead of a simple "you're fucking crazy".

pkWJBvE.png

And what about in Episode 2, when Mr. Robot pushed Elliot off of the railing? He did that to himself, despite having no prior history of self-harm? If that were the case, wouldn't Mr. Robot's disposition toward Eliot be constantly hostile?

Or the scene where Darlene was about to launch the attack and she was about to it do when Mr. Robot got close to her but let Elite walk right next to her since she trusted him.

When I was still on the Fight Club bandwagon, I rationalized this as good-cop/bad-cop.

He seems like the dude that would have wet wipes.
And painting the inside of your victim's mouth with your DNA and using your bare hands to strangle them isn't the smartest thing to do. And he couldn't have anticipated her not scratching him.

He would have had a bottle of bleach or gloves or something.

I'm just curious as to how this plays out.

Realistically, even if he did leave his DNA on her, the cops can't get it w/o a court order. There's no reason they'd have his DNA to match with.
I think it was premeditated. He told her to use the staircase where there were no cameras. He carried what I believe to be an alcohol wipe on his person. In any case, the police do have reason for a court order because her husband is going to notify the police about the lovely intrusion in their lavatory.

I listened to a podcast Rami did with Grantland (it's a video pod, it's on youtube if you search it), and the guy interviewing him said he thought the show might be about Elliot the super hacker, taking down somebody in a coffee shop every week. Even now, I'm not sure what this show is, because Tyrell just broke genre real hard.
It has elements of a Shakespearean tragedy. Tyrell and his wife allude strongly to Macbeth. Eliot's choice to have Fernando Vera arrested was the archetypal critical error, and
the death of Shannon
marks the critical turning point of Elliot's trust of human beings. I suspect Elliot will not necessarily be the hero by the end of this.

NaM

When Mr. Robot went and threaten the Bubbles looking guy into coming back to the group.

If Elliot and Mr. Robot are the same person there's nothing wrong with that scene, is just the Mr Robot personality side coming out...

There's more ground for speculation in this scene but yet if Elliot is Mr. Robot, again, there's no proof that Mr. Robot is not Elliot, in fact after Mr. Robot stops talking he goes to the back of the Arcade where Elliot was all the time and then Elliot's personality "takes over".

Like the scene where Mr. Robot flips his shit and points a gun at Romero. Elliot does not own a gun. Elliot is not a violent person. Elliot does not rely on other people for his own success and is in general not capable of organizing people for a greater cause. If it was actually Elliot, Romero would have said something about his drug usage instead of a simple "you're fucking crazy".

That was Romero's gun man. And yes Elliot is not violent, but that was Mr Robot's "side".

when Mr. Robot pushed Elliot off of the railing? He did that to himself, despite having no prior history of self-harm? If that were the case, wouldn't Mr. Robot's disposition toward Eliot be constantly hostile?
Mr. Robot pushed Elliot, at least that's what we see from Elliot's point of view. But assuming they are the same individual, yes, he just jumped. I don't think that makes Mr. Robot hostile to Elliot, it just was something to probe a point.

The way I see it is that after 7 episodes I can't probe in any way that Mr Robot is another person, and in fact everything to me points that they are the same.
About Darlene and Trenton I would say the same but that's more of guess right now since Trenton has almost no screen time.

There are way too many little details for me that point to one person with split personality, and as someone who re-watched every episode believing this I didn't see any contradictions at all.

Einchy

Like I said in that post, all of those scenes can be explained away but they are big red herrings. If they are the same person then there are some rules you'd need to follow so when it is revealed you can go back and watch scenes and think, "OH SHIT IT MAKES PERFECT SENSE NOW".

Having Mr. Robot interacting with other character when Elliot isn't around breaks the "rules". Those scenes, in retrospect, would feel cheap because they were there to trick the viewer into believing they were two separate people.

[edit]

Don't get me wrong.

Thinking about the way the show is set up and I do think they're the same person but I also think they wrote some scenes as if they were 2 people. Some scenes, like the above, feel a bit cheap if they are the same person but most make perfect sense with this in mind.

NaM

The only rule you need is that they can't interact at the same time with others, whether that's cheap or not is up to you.

[edit]
Yes, they definitely try to force some scenes to make them work as if they were 2 different persons but you can tell it is on purpose, I could feel a little disappointed about that but if they didn't do that it would be too obvious either way so I'm ok with that.

The only rule you need is that they can't interact at the same time with others, whether that's cheap or not is up to you.

[edit]
Yes, they definitely try to force some scenes to make them work as if they were 2 different persons but you can tell it is on purpose, I could feel a little disappointed about that but if they didn't do that it would be too obvious either way so I'm ok with that.

o_O I refreshed and you have a tag now... Sorry to hear.

Zoe

wait if Mr Robot is Elliot who was feeding Elliot intel when he was in Steel Mountain?

Romero and other guy were the ones giving him detailed information IIRC, Mr Robot was acting as an inner voice.

How would he have known Elliot was about to apologize?

Nocebo

[edit]
I think you can dismiss any evidence of them being two separate people as "deception on purpose".
Romero and other guy were the ones giving him detailed information IIRC, Mr Robot was acting as an inner voice.

Because he knows Elliot. Don't act like this is an uncommon phenomena in cinema. I mean: Someone with an ear piece in and the person on the other end talking to them knowing they're about to mess up/wuss out of the operation or whatever. Even though they can't see what the other person is doing.

Dr.Acula

Banned
There's nothing that happens so far that points to Elliot and Mr. Robot being definitively two people. There are no scenes where Darlene says "you two stay here" or "Elliot, have you seen Mr. Robot around?"

Now they could play it either way at this point, but they've done a remarkable job at avoiding anything that is explicitly framing them as two separate individuals. It feels super fight-clubby where Tyler and Jack are in the same places and taking turns speaking. (dubbed in French but you get the idea)

And let's be fair, that scene in Fight Club was waaaay more problematic than anything in Mr. Robot.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

your right about that almost apology...... ok I'm convinced.

So here's my next question when he had the dream that said he was only a few months old was that in regards to the Elliot personality or the Mr Robot personality? Because there is a lot more proof (fsociety) that Mr Robot has been around longer than Elliot.

There's nothing that happens so far that points to Elliot and Mr. Robot being definitively two people. There are no scenes where Darlene says "you two stay here" or "Elliot, have you seen Mr. Robot around?"
Isn't it reasonable to assume that people are distinct? Like, isn't that a baseline starting point of consciousness?

Another episode of Mr.Robot today, this is good but then another week long wait and not so long until we have to wait nearly 10 months before it'll come back for season two.

NaM

I think you can dismiss any evidence of them being two separate people as "deception on purpose".

Yes, right now technically it could go either way, but the little (and not so little) details point that they are the same person.

Because he knows Elliot. Don't act like this is an uncommon phenomena in cinema. I mean: Someone with an ear piece in and the person on the other end talking to them knowing they're about to mess up/wuss out of the operation or whatever. Even though they can't see what the other person is doing.

That's a lame excuse, this show has amazing attention to detail, that was put there very much on purpose.

So here's my next question when he had the dream that said he was only a few months old was that in regards to the Elliot personality or the Mr Robot personality? Because there is a lot more proof (fsociety) that Mr Robot has been around longer than Elliot.

This is a really good question, first things first, I don't know how much we can take episode four as reference since it was all over the place. My personal guess is that he recruited the team long ago most likely as Mr Robot (at least for Romero and Mobley, I'm not sure about Darlene) and then "the plan" kicked in. We can speculate a lot here but without more episodes and data is going to be hard to guess right, and we got a lot more character development for Elliot than Mr Robot so that's a hint too (or not)
:p

o_O I refreshed and you have a tag now... Sorry to hear.
I had it for a while now...
...but it's not accurate (?)

awp69

Anxiously awaiting tonight's episode. With Hannibal moved to Saturdays, nice to still have a mid-week brush with awesomeness.

Still hope we see Vera pop up again before the season ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom