• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nocebo

Can't wait to see how team tyrlerdurden or whatever explains this one away.

Darlene being his sister is an amazing twist, though. Puts things in perspective. That "Is there anyone who can talk to this woman?" line. Then he looks at Elliot. Because they're siblings. It makes sense. Wow. It explains so many things now.
Tyrell's wife really is the psychopath of that relationship. I'm legit shook.
I think they're equally psychotic. I mean Tyrell killed someone. It clearly wasn't part of the plan.

Edit: It's been a long time since I've been floored by a twist in a show.

Can't wait to see how team tyrlerdurden or whatever explains this one away.

Darlene being his sister is an amazing twist, though. Puts things in perspective. That "Is there anyone who can talk to this woman?" line. Then he looks at Elliot. Because they're siblings. It makes sense. Wow. It explains so many things now.

I think they're equally psychotic. I mean Tyrell killed someone. It clearly wasn't part of the plan.

I think Tyrell is more of a sociopath.

And yeah, I've been on team Tyler Durden but tonight what we saw is what legit shook me, mainly the scene with Tyrell... Tyrell... Tyler... Tyler, Tyrell.

Tom Penny

This show is so good and it really doesn't have a truly defined plot yet. It's like they are just putting together entertaining shit and characters and it's working.

Stoze

All the pictures were
of Eliot as a kid right? So that supports figment.

Yes. The dad is dead and Elliot takes on his look as his alter ego/subconsious/Tyler Durden. He's the same age as in the pictures from 20 years ago.

And man, Elliot is pretty mentally fucked up if he just completely removed Darlene as his sister from his memory.

Ke0

I thought it was established that Mr. Robot was Elliot's father. The question is, is he really there or is he a personality of Elliot?

Given the fact he hasn't aged from the photos and is wearing the jacket from one of the photos. I still lean heavily toward it being a personality, specifically Mr. Robot as Elliot last remember his father looking like.

Zomba13

Just fuuuuck me. I kinda figured that Mr Robot was based on Elliots father but I never saw Darleen being his sister coming.

CRS

Since Darlene and Elliot are related, that means Trenton is part of Darlene's imagination?

I also want to add, I loved Ralek's breakdown there, questioning his entire existence. Amazing.

Nocebo

I thought it was established that Mr. Robot was Elliot's father. The question is, is he really there or is he a personality of Elliot?

Given the fact he hasn't aged from the photos and is wearing the jacket from one of the photos. I still lean heavily toward it being a personality, specifically Mr. Robot as Elliot last remember his father looking like.
What about the scene with Tyrell in the car? It makes pretty clear that Elliot and Mr Robot are not the same person. It suggest that Tyrell and Mr Robot's history goes back way longer than Tyrell knows Elliot for. Also Tyrell talks differently to Mr Robot than he does to Elliot.

dfnk7So.jpg

Stolen from Reddit.

Zomba13

What about the scene with Tyrell in the car? It makes pretty clear that Elliot and Mr Robot are not the same person. It suggest that Tyrell and Mr Robot's history goes back way longer than Tyrell knows Elliot for. Also Tyrell talks differently to Mr Robot than he does to Elliot.

It's the same as it's always been. Mr Robot is shown to us (the viewer/imaginary friend) when Elliot is in Robot mode (where he is more confrontational, angry, publicly hacker mad etc). It was Elliot in the car with Tyrell (but as Mr Robot meaning Our Eliot doesn't remember it happening) and the whole secret thing was in discussion to the rootkit and server Cwhatever and all the hackity hacking. Tyrell and Elliot have a relationship (as in they know each other), that is why Tyrell is so "friendly" with Elliot even though we haven't really seen much of them together.

Avinexus

It reinforced the idea that Mr Robot and Elliot are the same person to me. Tyrell just says he knows his secret, which to me indicated he was talking about the .dat file thing and about the fsociety stuff leftover in the server, stuff he knows Elliot did.

Nocebo

It reinforced the idea that Mr Robot and Elliot are the same person to me. Tyrell just says he knows his secret, which to me indicated he was holding him knowing about the .dat file thing and about the fsociety stuff leftover in the server.
What people (plural) close to Elliot would care about that situation in that way? I suppose Angela and Gideon or something? I guess you could spin it that way. But I don't think Elliot cares that much about Gideon and I don't think Tyrell knows about the people in Elliot's life much to begin with. Really what people wouldn't be happy that are close to Elliot? There is noone close to Elliot except maybe Angela.

It's the same as it's always been. Mr Robot is shown to us (the viewer/imaginary friend) when Elliot is in Robot mode (where he is more confrontational, angry, publicly hacker mad etc). It was Elliot in the car with Tyrell (but as Mr Robot meaning Our Eliot doesn't remember it happening) and the whole secret thing was in discussion to the rootkit and server Cwhatever and all the hackity hacking. Tyrell and Elliot have a relationship (as in they know each other), that is why Tyrell is so "friendly" with Elliot even though we haven't really seen much of them together.
I don't think there is a valid reason for Tyrell to do a complete 180 in his behavior towards Elliot, though. Also if Tyrell knew Elliot was part of fsociety, and infact running the show, from the start, none of the initial conversations earlier in the show make any sense from Tyrell's perspective.

Zomba13

What people (plural) close to Elliot would care about that situation in that way? I suppose Angela and Gideon or something? I guess you could spin it that way. But I don't think Elliot cares that much about Gideon and I don't think Tyrell knows about the people in Elliot's life much to begin with. Really what people wouldn't be happy that are close to Elliot? There is noone close to Elliot except maybe Angela.

Everyone. He'd end up in jail (I think? I dunno), his work mates will find out, he'd lose his job, his fsociety will know and their plans will be ruined. Everything would crash down. I took it less as "I'm going to tell your BFF that you are a hacker" and more "I'll show this to whoever and they'll come after you."

It reinforced the idea that Mr Robot and Elliot are the same person to me. Tyrell just says he knows his secret, which to me indicated he was talking about the .dat file thing and about the fsociety stuff leftover in the server, stuff he knows Elliot did.

Exactly right, at least as far as I can tell.

Nocebo

Everyone. He'd end up in jail (I think? I dunno), his work mates will find out, he'd lose his job, his fsociety will know and their plans will be ruined. Everything would crash down. I took it less as "I'm going to tell your BFF that you are a hacker" and more "I'll show this to whoever and they'll come after you."
That was clearly not the tone of conversation I'm sorry to say. Maybe you should watch it again. I guess we'll have to wait until the next episode but I don't feel "dirty little secret" and making people close to elliot unhappy is referring to hacking activities.

Also why would Elliot care about what his coworkers think? Why would Tyrell think that Elliot would care about losing his job? That makes no sense as a threat. Tyrell thinks that Elliot is special and not like normal people. Yet you're acting like Tyrell is threatening him as if he were a normal person that cares about normal things.

Zomba13

That was clearly not the tone of conversation I'm sorry to say. Maybe you should watch it again. I guess we'll have to wait until the next episode but I don't feel "dirty little secret" and making people unhappy is referring to hacking activities.

You're right. I forgot most of it because of the ending and the Darleen thing.
At the very least Elliot has Angela close to him which would matter. It could be about the.dat, it could be about how super crazy he is. Elliot doesn't have a lot of friends and the closest to him is Angela, outside of fsociety she is his only friend left who may care about something like that (both the mental illness which Elliot may think will make her think of him as a lesser or the hacking in which case he kind of explained why he can never tell her in their meeting). Telling Gideon about fsociety and the .dat would mean he'd lose his job and maybe wind up in jail (again, dunno how the laws work on that. I'd assume but I dunno).

Zoe

I don't think there is a valid reason for Tyrell to do a complete 180 in his behavior towards Elliot, though. Also if Tyrell knew Elliot was part of fsociety, and infact running the show, from the start, none of the initial conversations earlier in the show make any sense from Tyrell's perspective.

I don't think Tyrell put all of the pieces together until he looked at the server himself. He thought Elliot was only out for revenge due to the former CTO's behavior towards Angela.

Tamanon

Banned
Holy fuck, that was a great episode. All the shit we've been talking about, and Darlene being his sister.....

It makes too much damn sense, but was hiding in plain sight. Delusions man.

Put me on #TeamFigment though, if only because Darlene certainly would've mentioned something by now.

The second Darlene recoiled from the kiss, it started clicking......

Dr.Acula

Banned
Something else stolen from Reddit.

Apparently that's Sam Esmail

Is was actually Sam Esmail all along!!

j/k

But seriously, great ep. The Mr. Robot is Tyler Dad-en thing I've seen a lot, and could never disagree with, but wasn't prepared to go out on that limb, it's cool to see that's what it was though, I like it. I don't recall anyone calling Darlene being the sister though, but that's cool. It's really great to see just how out of it Elliot is, I wonder if he'll have this knowledge forever now because the audience does, or if he'll forget about Darlene and forget about his father again in the upcoming seasons.

Nocebo

To me it would seem weird to have the big twist be that Elliot forgot who his sister and his dad are, implying that his dad is still alive even. And then next episode be like: oh and by the way Mr Robot isn't really real but is Elliot acting as a different persona that looks like his dad. For what purpose exactly?

I guess mr Robot could still be Elliot as a different persona. But what does Mr Robot want to talk to Elliot about? Is he going to explain that he's an invention of Elliot mind and that they're the same person? Ugh. That would seem so ham fisted to me. But it could happen. Or is he going to talk about why he as Elliot's flesh and blood still alive dad disappeared from Elliot's life up until now?

Put me on #TeamFigment though, if only because Darlene certainly would've mentioned something by now.

The second Darlene recoiled from the kiss, it started clicking......
It could have been as easy as dad asking Darlene to not mention him? You could say the same about Darlene, though. Why did noone in Elliot's life mention his sister to him? I mean they're in the club together. Angela not mentioning or asking about Elliot's sister in casual conversation is harder to explain. Or them never doing an activity with the 3 of them. But it could be part of his forgetfulness just as easy.

Oh, so, so wrong on Tyrell being a part of the Dark Army and either he or his wife being White Rose.

I'm not off "team imaginary" but damn...

Apt101

The main character is eerily similar to a guy I worked with back for the state circa 2002. I mean it is uncanny. Even the nuanced shit he says. That poor guy had a breakdown and was arrested for compromising scientific research data at some university in Florida.

Siegcram

Wellick going full-on anime-crazy there at the end, that poor wife. She'll have to clean up is mess, quite literally, again.

As for the two big reveals, they've both been popular theories for a minute now and the opening confirmed the "sibling" one right at at the start, so it didn't hit as hard as the other one. Still, it was very well done and I'm pretty sure there were more, unknown faces in that sequence, so that should make for more theories.

Lastly, I want more of BD Wong. That character was fantastic. Shame that they'll probably follow through and we'll have seen the last of White Rose.

Nocebo

To me a big part of the reveal was that Elliots dad is still alive (from the show's writer's perspective I mean, to me it didn't feel like that much of a reveal, the sister though... woah). If he isn't alive they're going to have to untwist that. Is it going to go down something like this?:
Elliot: "d...dad, you're alive?"
Mr Robot: "Yes and no... I'm actually still dead and you're imagining me. And in fact, you by which I mean we were the leader(s) of fsociety all along. You are me and I am you. I just look like your dad because of reasons."
I don't know it seems dumb to undermine part of your own twist and make it a different twist.
I think the only reason why people don't feel like the dad being alive is part of the reveal is because many people were already thinking about mr Robot being Elliot's dad from the start so it has zero impact.

Tamanon

Banned
It's weird, because if his dad is really alive....is it his mom that was killed by Evil Corp?

I need the next episode now.

It's weird, because if his dad is really alive....is it his mom that was killed by Evil Corp?

I need the next episode now.

I wonder if his dad being alive is part of what Tyrell is threatening to expose. The fact that Elliots dad really wasn't killed because of E Corp is potentially gigantic. I also need the next episode now. Unrelated to that, Darlene being so comfortable around Elliot makes a lot more sense now.

Nocebo

I don't think his dad is alive, he was the same age in those old pictures.
I'm not so sure. To me it looked like they dyed the actor's hair for the pictures.

I think Elliot has a lot of problems but I don't think having multiple personalities is one of them.

Dr.Acula

Banned
To me a big part of the reveal was that Elliots dad is still alive (from the show's writer's perspective I mean, to me it didn't feel like that much of a reveal, the sister though... woah). If he isn't alive they're going to have to untwist that. Is it going to go down something like this:
Elliot: "d...dad, you're alive?"
Mr Robot: "Yes and no... I'm actually still dead and you're imagining me. And in fact, you by which I mean we were the leader(s) of fsociety all along. You are me and I am you. I just look like your dad because of reasons."

I think the only reason why people don't feel like the dad being alive is part of the reveal is because many people were already thinking about mr Robot being Elliot's dad from the start so it has zero impact.

I'm not on the alive train. I mean they could do it either way, but there's nothing in the show so far that violates Tyler Durden logic where they're both being interacted with by a third party as two distinct individuals. There's also nothing in the show pointing to them definitively *not* being two individuals. Clearly Esmail and co. are playing up this ambiguity and shading their reveal.

Nocebo

I'm not on the alive train. I mean they could do it either way, but there's nothing in the show so far that violates Tyler Durden logic where they're both being interacted with by a third party as two distinct individuals. There's also nothing in the show pointing to them definitively *not* being two individuals. Clearly Esmail and co. are playing up this ambiguity and shading their reveal.
It wouldn't surprise me if they have been making it extra dubious to play on the reaction the internet was having pretty much from the start of the show.
Especially that mirror bit near the end with Sam Esmail (apparently?). Seems like a wink to that theory now that I think about it.

Fucking phenomenal. This show hits me in all the right places. #1 of the year for me definite.

Also, the soundtrack is giving serious Social Network vibes in some scenes. Can't wait to hear the soundtrack.

Nocebo

I have to say I've been flip flopping a lot over the past episodes. But I think I'll stick with mr Robot being real.
I think it explains the interactions between him and Elliot. The way he talks to Elliot and some of the situations like when he stuck with Elliot for the detox. While mr Robot being Elliot himself as a different personality makes things needlessly convoluted (in my opinion).

Siegcram

I have to say I've been flip flopping a lot over the past episodes. But I think I'll stick with mr Robot being real.
I think it explains the interactions between him and Elliot. The way he talks to Elliot and some of the situations like when he stuck with Elliot for the detox. While mr Robot being Elliot himself as a different personality makes things needlessly convoluted (in my opinion).
What, why? MR being a seperate, real person would convolute things as they are currently.

Him being in Elliot's head streamlines the show, if anything.

Dr.Acula

Banned
in real life slater is only 11 years older than Remi as well... I mean they could fudge the math and make the age difference larger but still food for thought

Woah, Rami Malek is older than me, and Christian Slater is *only* 45?!

That doesn't seem right. I mean, I've been watching him since I was a kid. I guess he was a kid too, lol.

https://youtu.be/CTmpKgocyYg
https://youtu.be/MuhHPQxS2nQ

Interview with the Vampire, he's only ~25 here, I just kinda assumed he would have been like 35 here because of how established he was in my mind at that point in my life.

chefbags

Fuuuuuuuuuck that episode was beautiful. Chaotic and fucking insane in the membrane. This is the shit I look forward to every wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom