• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

TripOpt55

With every new episode I keep wanting to go back and rewatch every previous one, but being so close to the ending now I'm tempted to just wait for the last two, watch them together, and then rewatch the season in its entirety once all of its revelations are laid out and known.

Hell of a show, that's for sure. It's just terrific episode after terrific episode. So glad I got over stupid title syndrome and watched it.

I seriously can't wait to watch this whole season over once its finished knowing what we know now and whatever else the final two episodes reveal. Going to feel like a whole new experience probably.

Sober

I don't think his dad is alive, he was the same age in those old pictures.
He has to be dead because Angela knows he's dead and I'm pretty sure she reaffirms it as fact in her own words. Cause I assume open casket funeral and all that. The only thing that seems to be unreliable is when we step into Elliot's POV, or I suppose whenever we see Mr. Robot. But I think Esmail might be able to pull off his father still being alive, just wonder exactly how.

He has to be dead because Angela knows he's dead and I'm pretty sure she reaffirms it as fact in her own words. Cause I assume open casket funeral and all that. The only thing that seems to be unreliable is when we step into Elliot's POV, or I suppose whenever we see Mr. Robot. But I think Esmail might be able to pull off his father still being alive, just wonder exactly how.

So how do you explain him talking to Tyrell?

chefbags

tumblr_inline_nsoiiotejX1ri8fpk_540.jpg

So just found out that Rami Malek has a twin. His name is Sami Malek. Would be crazy/hilarious to see them on a episode of Mr robot just for the hell of it. In like a hallucination scene or something lol

Stoze

What, why? MR being a seperate, real person would convolute things as they are currently.

Him being in Elliot's head streamlines the show, if anything.

And it would convolute things in the past as well, like having to explain how he just apparently waltzed into AllSafe in view of anyone to see while chatting with Elliot, why his sister has never even acknowledged him as their dad, etc..

Having a Tyler Durden type reveal would pretty much answer those questions immediately. At the same time though Elliot feels even more unreliable than the narrator in Fight Club; imagines government dudes after him, does drugs, forgets the entire existense of his sister and his father to some extent, not just Mr. Robot. Makes it so pretty much anything is possible at this point.

Not getting what happened in that episode to make people think Elliot's dad is still alive. He's in his head, he's his imaginary friend. Sometimes he talks to him (he's not talking to us, the audience, in those sequences). Sometimes he takes on aspects of his personality. Those are the times we see Mr. Robot take charge; others still see Elliot. That episode simply cemented the prevailing theory.

Stoze knows!

I wonder if Tyrell has clicked to Elliot having two personalities. Maybe that's the secret he's referring to. What if Tyrell knows when Elliot is Elliot and when Mr Robot is running the show?

But seriously, this episode was body punch after body punch. Gideon confronting Eliot, Tyrel constantly on the edge of breaking down, BD Wong (what!?), Darlene being Elliot's sister, and then the Mr Robot reveal (maybe, probably).

Jesus, and it was done so spectacularly well. Girl playing Darlene was excellent tonight. Malek great as usual. Tyrell and his wife continue to be fascinating. Wonder what she's planning next. That meeting with White Rose was odd. I feel like we'll definitely see her again.

Promo speculation
Oh God, I hope Tyrell isn't planning to murder Gideon

Mr Robot can't be alive. It's Elliot seeing his dad as he looked like at the age of his death. But the fact that he forgot what he looked like, and forgot his sister altogether.

Jesus.

Nocebo

If they wanted to reveal mr Robot is in Elliot's head I'd have him just sitting in the room in the darkness and then getting up "saying we need to talk", instead of having him knock on the front door.

Mr Robot could have been able to walk into all safe as easily BECAUSE they know he's Elliot's dad. Considering Elliot has selective hearing and, apparently, crazy memory problems he could easily subconsciously ignore/forget/or twist in his head anything that has to do with his dad. Or noone knows who Elliot's dad is. Was Angela even in the building at the time?

Anyway you can easily argue for both stances because Elliot has delusions and other mental problems.

If Angela also thinks Elliot's dad is dead it could be because the dad faked his death or whatever.

To me it seems like characters interact differently with mr Robot than they do Elliot too.

Also does anyone think there will be a follow up on Shayla's murder? A crime investigation implicating a connection to Elliot? I guess this isn't that kind of show.

The Chinese and likely their government hack or try to hack our government and companies all the time.

Also does anyone think there will be a follow up on Shayla's murder? A crime investigation implicating a connection to Elliot? I guess this isn't that kind of show.

They skipped a month, police probably wouldn't have cause to dig much deeper than her body being in the trunk by the body of Vera's brother, I think they'd just conclude something happened and Vera or one of his associates did it which they did.

Woah, Rami Malek is older than me, and Christian Slater is *only* 45?!

That doesn't seem right. I mean, I've been watching him since I was a kid. I guess he was a kid too, lol.

https://youtu.be/CTmpKgocyYg
https://youtu.be/MuhHPQxS2nQ

Interview with the Vampire, he's only ~25 here, I just kinda assumed he would have been like 35 here because of how established he was in my mind at that point in my life.

Yeah, I always thought of him as being Kevin Bacon's age (ie old enough to be my dad). Or maybe I just get those two confused.

chefbags

The Chinese and likely their government hack or try to hack our government and companies all the time.

They skipped a month, police probably wouldn't have cause to dig much deeper than her body being in the trunk by the body of Vera's brother, I think they'd just conclude something happened and Vera or one of his associates did it which they did.

I'm sure next season mr. Robot/elliot or just elliot is gonna hunt the mofucka aka Vera down because I can just see him going for revenge like Big Boss.

China is responsible for more than a third of all cyber crime worldwide.

I'm aware that they put in work but what makes them better than us?

Is whiterose backed by the Chinese government?

Seesaw15

I wonder if Tyrell has clicked to Elliot having two personalities. Maybe that's the secret he's referring to. What if Tyrell knows when Elliot is Elliot and when Mr Robot is running the show?

It would fit. It would also explain why Tyrell took an interest in Elliot the day he visited All Safe because they had already met before.

I still can't get over how good this show is.

They can make a scene of Elliot in his office an amazing visual feast and a give it a gut wrenching tension. The way Elliot is always razor sharp in focus while he and the camera move around and things fade in and out of view is extremely impressive.

It's also a frightening look into the mind of a psycho:
"I hacked Gideon and know what he is: a good person who looks after his people. I'll still have to destroy him for my cause which I believe will help everyone." I'm half expecting a reveal he has been manipulated by a rival to E Corp who are as bad or worse.

awp69

This is one show that feels like The Sixth Sense in which you really want to go back and rewatch it all to see what clues there were and make more sense of it all. Think I may wait until the season is over to do that. But it's rare that I want to completely rewatch a TV show. Simply awesome.

Sh1ner

The shot where Darlene walks up to the camera and then looks about and the camera lingers was excellent.
You got the slow pan out shot which cuts to another wide space shot that is a slow pan in.
Throughout the episode you got the camera invasively close to Tyrell as he is losing himself, the camera in swings with his head.

The cinematography is fucking exceptional in this show. I would love season 2 to be longer if they can maintain the quality, if not I am ok for the next season being the same length as season 1.

HelloMeow

I love how this makes perfect sense.
Darlene did all of this stuff that would be rude and intrusive as a stranger, but perfectly normal as a sister.

Siegcram

I can't believe how not "hack of the week" this turned out to be. I seriously expected this to be a procedural with better writing than the other stale toast on USA.

Instead I get Lynch on my TV. Based Esmail.

chefbags

tumblr_nt0dniS9XC1ucw0e5o1_1280.jpg

Elliot’s memories are on the blank disk.
He recovered his brain data from the blank disk.
And this is the place that he met up with White Rose.
I swear to God, we know actually nothing.

Lol this show is cray. I love it. I sing praises to it to all my friends.

Welp, I guess I'm going to have to rewatch this once the season is over, just to see how how much more makes sense knowing Darlene's his sister. WTF.

KingKong

I'm aware, it was just weird seeing him go off on Elliot at his desk for not behaving like the other employees. Since that's kinda his deal.

well his thing this whole time has been trying to have Eliot be part of the team, like inviting him to his house and everything, so having Eliot not be there during that moment makes him think Eliot doesnt care about him or the company (which he doesn't haha)

a.wd

missed 2 shows and then just caught up....god...fucking....damn this show delivers.

Take fucking note.

Everyone, take fucking note, this is how its done.TV has been better than movies for a hot minute and it seems that shit is sticking around.

Matush

If this show doesnt get nominated for GG or Emmy, then fuck all. Best show of the summer and one of my favorite shows running on TV. And its on USA, crazy snatch for them.

thenexus6

So i'd never even heard of this show until the start of this week when it was mentioned on a podcast I listen to. I just finished episode 8 completely upto date now.

This show is my favourite this summer by a mile. Fuck I love it.

Holy shit, what an episode.

I kind of figured out that Trenton might he his dad, but Darlene his sister? Didn't see that coming at all.

And goddamn at Tyrell's wife inducing labour with the fork. Fuck.

Ke0

If they wanted to reveal mr Robot is in Elliot's head I'd have him just sitting in the room in the darkness and then getting up "saying we need to talk", instead of having him knock on the front door.

You don't think it strange at all that Mr. Robot knocks on the door the second after Elliot finally remembers his dad? Besides being a room in the dark is way too obvious/on the nose.

You don't think it strange at all that Mr. Robot knocks on the door the second after Elliot finally remembers his dad? Besides being a room in the dark is way too obvious/on the nose.

I just assumed Darlene contacted Mr. Robot right after the incident with Elliot and he headed on over to Elliot's place in real time.

Nocebo

I see where you're coming from. But since he kissed his sister on the mouth that night. She probably told their dad that Elliot had another memory episode or whatever. She said "did you forget AGAIN", I think. So it is something that has happened a bunch of times.

As for why he showed up at that exact moment. Cinematic time is more efficient than realistic time. This isn't the first time a character shows up right after something shocking has been discovered to vomit exposition in a show. I think.
You have to be buzzed in to get into Elliot's building.
Hasn't Darlene gotten into Elliot's building and apartment without getting buzzed in first? I may be wrong on this. What if mr Robot lives in the same building? What if he has the key to keep an eye on Elliot?

Siegcram

I see where you're coming from. But since he kissed his sister on the mouth that night. She probably told their dad that Elliot had another memory episode or whatever. She said "did you forget AGAIN", I think. So it is something that has happened a bunch of times.

As for why he showed up at that exact moment. Cinematic time is more efficient than realistic time. This isn't the first time a character shows up right after something shocking has been discovered to vomit exposition in a show. I think.

Hasn't Darlene gotten into Elliot's building and apartment without getting buzzed in first? I may be wrong on this. What if mr Robot lives in the same building? What if he has the key to keep an eye on Elliot?
All of this seems more likely to you than MR being one of Elliot's many, confirmed hallucinations? That their father, who Darlene has never remotely acknowledged as such, lives in his building, goes with him on a road trip during cold turkey withdrawal and strolls into his workplace dressed like a homeless person? That's some stretching.

-BLITZ-

Is clearly that Mr. Robot is Elliot imagination. The fact that Mr.R speak loud and in that manner in AllSafe without any of the employees there to warn him about his behave it confirms what I suspected from the previous episode. More, no one could had enter random in such company dress like that and sit on Elliot chair waiting for him, the same clothes which his wearing from the first episode, same cap too. The employee that was next to Elliot desk, the girl, raised his head for a moment because of Elliot talking *alone*. Another one is the bar scene like everybody said, no eye contact there from the bartender to Mr. Robot and in the first episode, if I recall, when Elliot meets the Fsociety in the garage, no one, again made any eye contact with Mr. Robot or speak to him, however there is one thing that intrigues me is when the videoclip with the masked person was actually Christian Slater, his voice, but I do wonder what if that was actually Elliot masked with altered voice. Might Elliot be the one who is losing memories and living on two lives he created because it seems that Fsociety are waiting for him, the actual leader.

I'm guessing that Mr.R could be his father and Elliot forgot how his dad looked like when he was young.

This is my theory but I'm not sure since he was at least like 8? I dunno if you'd forget

I know that I saw a similar *theory* scene once, from a movie where a person who lost his father in his childhood close to the same age, forgot how he look like once the time passed because the impact was too much to take. During the movie he meets someone and in the end it shows that it was his actual father or a final reconcile with his own mind as everything was just made up. it's vague because I don't remember much at all although last year Perception series had a similar episode where the main
character forgot how he look when he was a teenager, but that is a memory loss problem related to the series
. The thing is that you have the person in front of you, but you simply don't realize it. Elliot father tragic death could had been a very serious shock for him that he couldn't not pass and he kept only for him.

Or Mr. Robot could simply be a random creation made by Elliot to push into vengeance over his father death. He talks more about his father rather than his mom which it seems to have some parental issues.

From my previous post. :D
One of the best episodes from a series since the end of LOST. I haven't seen something like this in a long time. I was in shock actually. I Never, never think of that Darlene could be his sister only after the cry start. My man, I want this to continue, to the next level of Season 2 madness. So satisfied.

In this episode, in the first minutes of it, now I notice how every time Elliot was starting to talk with his group, Mr.Robot was always standing behind them, without anyone noticing him. Once Elliot finished, Mr.Robot talked. Yep, he was Mr.Robot all this time.

Nocebo

All of this seems more likely to you than MR being one of Elliot's many, confirmed hallucinations? That their father, who Darlene has never remotely acknowledged as such, lives in his building, goes with him on a road trip during cold turkey withdrawal and strolls into his workplace dressed like a homeless person? That's some stretching.
How do you imagine Darlene should have acknowledged mr Robot as their father if he was real? Constantly calling him "dad" or what?

How come we've never seen Angela mention Elliot's sister to him before? Angela and Darlene are friends apparently? You can imagine it would come up.

Haas Angela ever been in a scene with MR? I mean we know that Elliott hallucinates and what we see often reflects what he sees. Just because he sees MR as his father doesn't mean that is actually who he is or even what he really looks like.

rexor0717

tumblr_inline_nsoiiotejX1ri8fpk_540.jpg

So just found out that Rami Malek has a twin. His name is Sami Malek. Would be crazy/hilarious to see them on a episode of Mr robot just for the hell of it. In like a hallucination scene or something lol

They could also swap Christian Slater for Charlie Day for an episode. That'd be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom