• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Y'all probably discussed this long ago, but I was reading the episode 8 review on HitFix and came across this comment:

"Right after he realizes Darlene is his sister, in the subway station when all the thoughts are running real fast through his head, one of the things he says is "Darlene would sing Frer Jacques, she rode her scooter in front of our house." Apparently, she was the little girl from his withdrawal dream who said they weren't friends and asked him what his monster was."

Neat touch. Really did not pick up on that.

yooooo

VinFTW

This show feels like an extension of myself.

The themes, the music, the anxiety, introversion, everything.

I've watched this show twice in 5 days. Most blown away by a show I've been since Breaking Bad.

And by god... that soundtrack.

Bring on the finale.

maxcriden

Thanks for posting all these links, CB!

The Slate article is interesting and makes a lot of good points but this seemed like a misinformed sentiment:

Mr. Robot is alert to gender, racial, and sexual politics. It is as inclusive and diverse as a show starring a character who could plausibly be a folk hero to gamer-gaters could possible be.

What say y'all?

Zoe

I more or less stopped following the Previously.tv threads about the show because it was mostly people complaining about how Elliot was a white knight.

Siegcram

My thoughts exactly. I thought about writing to the writer of the piece, but couldn't be bothered. Not interested in getting into a semantical tete-a-tete.
She seems to have hang-ups with the (white) male-centricity of TV overall, which is fair enough.

That's where I lose her though, GG stands for organized harrassment, doxxing and threats against individuals with the flimsiest justification imagineable. None of which has even come close to appearing on MR. I have no idea where the article was going with that.

maxcriden

She seems to have hang-ups with the (white) male-centricity of TV overall, which is fair enough.

That's where I lose her though, GG stands for organized harrassment, doxxing and threats with the flimsiest justification imagineable. None of which has even come close to appearing on MR. I have no idea where the article was going with that.

That's what I'm talking about, exactly. Yes. It's sad to think Mr. Robot/fsociety would be seen as championing GamerGate "values" or "ethics" at all.

-griffy-

Banned
I think you guys are misinterpreting the Slate writer's point. Elliot is a socially awkward hacker who is part of an internet collective that trades in imagery and tactics not dissimiliar from the Guy Fawkes-masked Anonymous. Fsociety is trying to right a perceived social justice wrong-doing through somewhat nefarious means. The character of Elliot could plausibly be a folk hero to certain groups of people who perhaps misunderstand the show and its themes in the same way people misunderstood aspects of Fight Club.

And yet despite the potential for that, the show is actually very progressive in it's social views as far as women, race, gender, orientation, etc. She is praising the show for its inclusiveness

Siegcram

I get what her point is, but that sentence makes it sound like the show succeeds at its inclusiveness in spite of itself, when the fault for any misinterpretation regarding Elliot's motivations or beliefs lies with the audience.

And she failed to point out how Elliot being a "folk hero" for GG is plausible. In my mind that is the furthest from being true. I have no problem with the article overall, just that section.

TripOpt55

Y'all probably discussed this long ago, but I was reading the episode 8 review on HitFix and came across this comment:

"Right after he realizes Darlene is his sister, in the subway station when all the thoughts are running real fast through his head, one of the things he says is "Darlene would sing Frer Jacques, she rode her scooter in front of our house." Apparently, she was the little girl from his withdrawal dream who said they weren't friends and asked him what his monster was."

Neat touch. Really did not pick up on that.

Damn that is cool. I can't wait to watch through the whole season again after the finale.

maxcriden

I get what her point is, but that sentence makes it sound like the show succeeds at its inclusiveness in spite of itself, when the fault for any misinterpretation regarding Elliot's motivations or beliefs lies with the audience.

And she failed to point out how Elliot being a "folk hero" for GG is plausible. In my mind that is the furthest from being true. I have no problem with the article overall, just that section.

Same here. If that was the author's point, -griffy-, I don't think it was as clearly laid out if Siegcram and I are getting this tripped up by the semiotic excess. I do hope you are correct, though. It's a very good article otherwise.

-griffy-

Banned
Same here. If that was the author's point, -griffy-, I don't think it was as clearly laid out if Siegcram and I are getting this tripped up by the semiotic excess. I do hope you are correct, though. It's a very good article otherwise.

I think it was just a throwaway line to throw shade at GG in the midst of praising a show's inclusiveness. "Hey, here's a guy who has some superficial similarities to a certain group but the show he's in is actually inclusive, suck it."

maxcriden

I think it was just a throwaway line to throw shade at GG in the midst of praising a show's inclusiveness. "Hey, here's a guy who has some superficial similarities to a certain group but the show he's in is actually inclusive, suck it."

Again, I hope you're right on the money with that interpretation. Just think it was a bit unclear. :)

--

So, what are you all hoping for from the finale?

Siegcram

I'm going in blind, no teaser, no nothing. If this episode continues the momentum of the last three, this is legitimately the best freshman season of any show I've seen airing live.

Can't wait for a comprehensive re-watch. Might even write about it.

I'm half expecting failure and half expecting bittersweet success where E Corp gets destroyed but the psychopaths that run it are unscathed and a new Evil Corp rises from its ashes and half expecting Elliot to be revealed as a mental patient with all of this being made up.

"USA announces that tonight's MR. ROBOT season finale is being delayed a week due to a graphic scene "similar in nature" to today's shooting."

FUCK THIS

- Full PR via Deadline:
USA Network has made a last minute decision to pull tonight’s first season finale of breakout freshman drama Mr. Robot in light of today’s tragic killing of a local news reporter and a camerman on Live TV.

“The previously filmed season finale of Mr. Robot contains a graphic scene similar in nature to today’s tragic events in Virginia. Out of respect to the victims, their families and colleagues, and our viewers, we are postponing tonight’s episode. Our thoughts go out to all those affected during this difficult time,” USA said in a statement.

The season finale of the well received hacker drama will now air next Wednesday, September 2 at 10 PM. An encore of the penultimate episode will air tonight. Mr. Robot already has been renewed for a second season.

Update from Andy Greenwald:
Having seen it, I agree that USA was right to reconsider. The finale is excellent, though. Don't expect that to change, even with an edit.

EDIT: Sepinwall says:
The freshman thriller's season finale features a very graphic on-camera shooting. It's not identical to the tragedy this morning in Virginia, where a TV reporter and cameraman were murdered during a live broadcast, but it was close enough that USA understandably decided it was wise to put a bit of distance between the real and fictional events.

CyReN

As shitty as the whole situation has been today and with the finale getting pushed, have to wonder if more people will be checking out next weeks episode because of the delay now.

Sober

so is that
a spoiler?
It spoils nothing, unless you consider that someone probably being shot in a recording (fsociety mask, probably?) is a spoiler when it's completely devoid of context.

It's not like someone went and said Elliot forces Tyrell to put on the fsociety mask and make speech condemning Evil Corp and then out of nowhere Angela shows up and shoots him in the face.

I made that up by the way

Just heard an interview this morning with the lead actor, now I'm interested in watching this. Hoping the previous episodes are streaming on USA.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
francis.png
The worse part of the announcement is I know ahead of time somebody is going to get shot.....

Sober

I definitely consider it as one. Now it'll be in the back of my mind nagging me while I watch it.
There has been a gun mentioned in the last few episodes and there are camera speeches in the show. This is barely a spoiler or some out of nowhere twist we weren't expecting.

Siegcram

Now you aren't.

Just came back from a holiday, watched ep9 then realized it's all over tonight. Guess not then.

I'm so hyped who's getting shot now by popcorngun.
Well, fuck. But I called a shooting/death a week ago, so not too surprised.

chefbags

The right decision. But fuck I was so excited for tonight.

Next week I'm already at school and the wait for this is fucking excruciating. Damn :(

CRS

Damn, so the view of the popcorn machine was relevant. The shooting must have that gun then. Now to wonder if it'll be used for a fsociety video or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom