• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siegcram

Well shit the delay sucks, I was so hyped up for it too damnit.

With Mr. Robot, Hannibal, The Brink and Ballers all finished at ~ the same time for the season, you guys have any shows that you either recommend or are looking out for in the foreseeable future?
I'll be watching Show Me a Hero after it wraps up this weekend. It's the new David Simon mini-series about the federally-mandated public housing in Yonkers. I've only heard good things and the book was very interesting. And I'll finally get to the Red Dragon arc in Hannibal, had to put that on hold.

Otherwise, there's nothing that caught my eye in the September lineup.

I'll be watching Show Me a Hero after it wraps up this weekend. It's the new David Simon mini-series about the federally-mandated public housing in Yonkers. I've only heard good things and the book was very interesting. And I'll finally get to the Red Dragon arc in Hannibal, had to put that on hold.

Otherwise, there's nothing that caught my eye in the September lineup.

Yeah I heard about Show me a hero, but I thought it had just started and wanted to see a general idea of what people thought of it after the series was over. Didn't expect it to be only 6 episodes mashed into 3 and ending so soon though, will most likely give it a shot soon too. As far as Hannibal goes, I only have the last 2 episodes left so I'll be watching those today! 2nd half of the season was a hell of a ride, hoping the last 2 stands up to it.

With Mr. Robot, Hannibal, The Brink and Ballers all finished at ~ the same time for the season, you guys have any shows that you either recommend or are looking out for in the foreseeable futur?

if you're not caught up on bojack catch up on bojack.
it's magnolia: the animated series

With Mr. Robot, Hannibal, The Brink and Ballers all finished at ~ the same time for the season, you guys have any shows that you either recommend or are looking out for in the foreseeable futur?

Just turn on your TV at any random time to any channel. Whatever is on will be at least as good as Ballers or The Brink.

ijm72

Season 2 of The Knick and Fargo

ctothej

Holy shit. Just finished the whole season in two days. Kind of expected the Mr. Robot twist, but did NOT see the Darlene thing coming. Cannot wait for the next episode.

Want to get into Justified but that shit ain't streamin anywhere except for rentals, get a 404 on FX's episodes page for it, and Hulu only has clips :mad:

Maybe it's on Netflix in a certain region?

Frog-fu

Banned

Bloodline, Daredevil and Narcos are all Netflix Originals and they're good, bruh.

Finally caught up, yeah this is my favourite drama show right now along with The Knick. Both have brilliant cinematography and soundtracks.

Loved that they used Sonic Youth in one episode.

How accurate is the hacking in this show?

Let's put it this way. This show used social engineering and existing techniques hacking to attempt to break into a place. Other shows would have hacked with a matrix character like screen and mission impossible style hack combined with a guy saying i developed a new technology just for this hack

Most of the lingo is solid, and the dramatic situations are each plausible. At the least, it's a far sight better than most other representations in media.
Most of the hacks are based on real world exploits that have existed. They also include the social engineering side of hacking which they hit very well.
Let's put it this way. This show used social engineering and existing techniques hacking to attempt to break into a place. Other shows would have hacked with a matrix character like screen and mission impossible style hack combined with a guy saying i developed a new technology just for this hack
Cookbook solid.
I've seen stranger stuff happen IRL.

Their ultimate plan seems outlandish, but it's ultimately theoretically possible.
Now thats cool.

I'm on the half way mark of the season and I must say this is great TV loving every bit of it. Glad to see it's been renewed for a second season.

Not

Banned
Love the cinematography. Love the acting. But they did that stupid twist again. Again. AGAIN.

Fight Club. A Beautiful Mind. "My Screw-Up" from Scrubs. Dexter.

Every human being who has been even momentarily exposed to a television or monitor has caught on at this point. It's no longer even a "twist."

Still, pretty well done. This is my favorite scene:

“Lawrence? You’ll never be able to afford that tuition on unemployment.”

“Sorry?”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKexAFJNuWY

Finally:

Steel Mountain Bill. :'( I love you, Bill. I'd go to your funeral. I'd cry. :'( I'd be in your Instagram photos. Awwww Bill. Hug.

Got a huge project so don't know when I'll catch the finale.

UrbanRats

Love the cinematography. Love the acting. But they did that stupid twist again. Again. AGAIN.

Every human being who has been even momentarily exposed to a television or monitor has caught on at this point. It's no longer even a "twist."

They were aware of that, which is why they went with Elliot asking the viewer: "You knew all along, didn't you?".
Whether you find that to be a cheap cop out or not is a valid point, but i don't think they expected the twist to have any major impact beyond character development.

It wasn't about the viewer being duped, but rather Elliot's reactions to it.

Zoe

And even then, there were still many casual viewers (and not so casual even in this thread) who didn't know or believe it until it happened.

maharg

idspispopd
And even then, there were still many casual viewers (and not so casual even in this thread) who didn't know or believe it until it happened.

To be fair, I think most of those people were just hoping they'd do something more clever. :p

They pulled it off well enough for me, I suppose, but I also would have been down for something a little different. Fortunately they also did the sister thing, which felt more novel, and I like the way they just dropped it in your lap at the start of an episode.

Nothus

How have the UK rights to this show not been snapped up yet?
I'm sick of telling people about it, and then immediately having to tell them that there's currently no (legal) way for them to watch it!

ezekial45

Banned
Just spent the last week catching up. This show is really great. Even though the main twist was totally expected, the reveal (along with the excellent narration) was incredible.

I heard this was supposed to be a mini-series type thing, and it kinda shows. This is so different than typical procedurals that the USA Network originals, but it's easily the strongest thing they've had in years. I'm really impressed that they managed to land this show. But I'm worried how S2 will turn out. This season is pretty airtight, and I have concerns they won't be able to match it, given that this was supposed to be a one-off thing.

-griffy-

Banned
Just spent the last week catching up. This show is really great. Even though the main twist was totally expected, the reveal (along with the excellent narration) was incredible.

I heard this was supposed to be a mini-series type thing, and it kinda shows. This is so different than typical procedurals that the USA Network originals, but it's easily the strongest thing they've had in years. I'm really impressed that they managed to land this show. But I'm worried how S2 will turn out. This season is pretty airtight, and I have concerns they won't be able to match it, given that this was supposed to be a one-off thing.

It was actually conceived as a movie initially, but Sam Esmail reworked it into a series. I believe he's said the story for season 1 is essentially act 1 of the movie. From what I've heard, he has the entire story pretty well laid because of this. A 4-5 season series has been thrown about as a possible length.

Love the show, binged it last week.

I find the hacking to still be a bit magical, but at least it looks like real hacks/command/etc and the lingo is right.

But even better, the rest of the show is amazing too.

Season finale tonight:
eps1.9zer0-daY.avi

One of Elliot's past hacks comes back to haunt him; Mr. Robot and Tyrell are missing.
Just a reminder to check your DVR and ensure that it's going to record properly this evening. (It was labeled as a rerun for me.) Also, take a look and make sure the recording is long enough as there is a post-credits scene attached to the finale.

So is anyone else thinking Tyrell dies in this episode? From all the hints and the last shot of the last episode, I'm pretty sure they're building towards it. I think a lot of his potential has been wasted, he really "disappointed" in a lot of way, but I think that is how the character was written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom