• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is anyone else thinking Tyrell dies in this episode? From all the hints and the last shot of the last episode, I'm pretty sure they're building towards it. I think a lot of his potential has been wasted, he really "disappointed" in a lot of way, but I think that is how the character was written.

If they kill him off, then yes, potential disappoint indeed. Otherwise,

I am so so so SATISFIED with the way Tyrell Wellick has been handled. I am amazed at how he can be a completely composed, self-assured and omniscient figure in one episode and be kneeling in front of his wife on the verge of tears a few episodes later. THAT is how you break a character down exponentially.

The musical track that played when he was getting canned was the same from the scene where he's slapping himself in the mirror in episode 3, "I will be the next CTO". Wonderfully bookended.

It's the best representation I've seen. Everything except the prison thing is completely possible and the jargon is spot on.

The Iron Mountain hack-- I mean Steel Mountain-- is really implausible.

I've toured an Iron Mountain facility, and there are people around. They'd notice if it was getting hot enough to ruin tape. It's also pretty ridiculous when they later say that the environmentals in one site control them for all sites-- that's a plot hand-wave to get the scheme going again after the supposed deadline, but it's clumsy. And they'd also have monitoring apart from the actual environmental controls. Possibly different independent monitoring at that. And that monitoring would be a very high priority for the company.

I love that the jargon and general concepts are sound, but the hacking is still pretty magical is terms of speed and things always working. But it's refreshing that at least the concepts are correct.

Because they're so alike in many ways, an alliance between the two would have made sense, but the murder is what makes it impossible now. Up until then Tyrell had done shitty things but I don't see Elliott partnering with a psychopathic murderer no matter what.

If they kill him off, then yes, potential disappoint indeed. Otherwise,

I am so so so SATISFIED with the way Tyrell Wellick has been handled. I am amazed at how he can be a completely composed, self-assured and omniscient figure in one episode and be kneeling in front of his wife on the verge of tears a few episodes later. THAT is how you break a character down exponentially.

The musical track that played when he was getting canned was the same from the scene where he's slapping himself in the mirror in episode 3, "I will be the next CTO". Wonderfully bookended.

Because they're so alike in many ways, an alliance between the two would have made sense, but the murder is what makes it impossible now. Up until then Tyrell had done shitty things but I don't see Elliott partnering with a psychopathic murderer no matter what.

I wouldn't exactly call it a willing partnership, considering Tyrell basically threatened Elliot with his putting on gloves while telling him he just strangled a woman and he knows his secret and could cause trouble for him. I think Elliot is being forced to work with Tyrell.

g0tm1lk

The Iron Mountain hack-- I mean Steel Mountain-- is really implausible.

I've toured an Iron Mountain facility, and there are people around. They'd notice if it was getting hot enough to ruin tape. It's also pretty ridiculous when they later say that the environmentals in one site control them for all sites-- that's a plot hand-wave to get the scheme going again after the supposed deadline, but it's clumsy. And they'd also have monitoring apart from the actual environmental controls. Possibly different independent monitoring at that. And that monitoring would be a very high priority for the company.

As far as I remember Elliot said the climate control system reported to the same network and that he patched the system to exploit all of them.

We did see him point a gun in Romero's face a few weeks ago (as Mr. Robot). He is pretty psychopathic/sociopathic himself. He needs Tyrell and won't let anything get in his way. And Tyrell could just as easily blackmail him. I guess it will come down to will Elliot shed away that part of his soul by killing another human being?

As far as I remember Elliot said the climate control system reported to the same network and that he patched the system to exploit all of them.

He did, but that's not realistic. There's no reason local facilities would have central climate controls. And the monitoring systems would be independent of them regardless. And people would notice, also.

That's without getting into whether Evil Corp would have incremental or full back-ups staged that hadn't gone offiste yet.

This is way way better than anything else out there, but it's still a fantasy in essence.

So hyped for tonight.

I didn't think I could be any more jealous of Sam Esmail and then I find out he's engaged to Emmy Rossum. Damn man, he's got the life. What a talented couple.

Yeah, check those DVRs and add some time to the end, people! Just to be safe! FSOCIETY hacked mine and completely deleted the series recording (seriously, have no idea why it went away, it was as if I never scheduled it despite having one in use all season) and your box might not pick up tonight's episode considering the postponement happened too quickly for most guides to update.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Man, can't wait for tonight. The only thing that would pry me away from MGSV is this show.

Have you ever seen Enlightened? It's operating under a completely different premise and tone, obviously, nothing like Fight Club-as-a-hacker's-fever-dream and the main character is not actively delusional so much as she is socially awkward to an extreme, but it has aspects that I see echoed in this show. The depressive loner perceiving themselves as an embattled underdog, a cog in the corporate machine, desperate to get out of their working circumstances as much as they are desperate to make a human connection. Idealism being taken down a notch by reality, and all of that.

It handles the point a bit differently, but it also features the (questionable, unstable) main character highlighting corporate malaise with articles from the internet, which is why your post reminded me of it. :)

Daniel Fienberg wrote about two thousand words on this topic

'Mr. Robot' and 'Enlightened': Alienation and Changing the World

ivysaur12

Banned
MR. ROBOT FINALE GOT ME LIKE

YEu3WWh.gif

Daniel Fienberg wrote about two thousand words on this topic

'Mr. Robot' and 'Enlightened': Alienation and Changing the World

Just wanted to add that Enlightened is fucking phenomenal and required viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom