• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinexus

There was nothing different about this episode in that regard.

I mean, unless everytime he talked to someone this episode was a hallucination it was quite different. Drug dealer was a hallucination, but the first one in the hotel seemed pretty genuine unless we are taking that as the start of the hallucinations.

Think he means the preview for next week when
Mr Robot smashes the monitor on the ground in front of everyone
. Unless he's imagining it and he's doing it personally.

Really hope this isn't Fight Cyber Club.
And that.

CyReN

How did you come to that conclusion?

Ah ok, that would make sense. I thought he meant when Mr. Robot was talking to the guy outside outside of the drug den.

I mean, unless everytime he talked to someone this episode was a hallucination it was quite different. Drug dealer was a hallucination, but the first one in the hotel seemed pretty genuine unless we are taking that as the start of the hallucinations.

And that.

What happened in the hotel that would point to Mr. Robot being real?

Tamanon

Banned
I thought that interaction could've been Elliot feverishly saying "No hospital" instead of Mr. Robot if he isn't real.

Great episode again, and Angela using her boyfriend's badge means she's playing the long revenge game. Vicious.

Christian Slater screams. Cut to cynic dude looking at him and then turning around to leave.

I just watched the scene again, that guy and Mr. Robot seemingly talk to each other but the camera never shows them actually interacting with or even looking at each other. Each time either one of them says or does anything they're on screen by themselves. It also happens right before Elliot hallucinates about getting drugs.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I just watched the scene again, that guy and Mr. Robot seemingly talk to each other but the camera never shows them actually interacting with or even looking at each other. Each time either one of them says or does anything they're on screen by themselves. It also happens right before Elliot hallucinates about getting drugs.

This.

If anything this further proves Mr.Robot is just a figment of Elliots imagination or an alternate persona.

-Deimos

Yup, just more proof that Mr. Robot is Elliot.

CRS

Holy. Shit.

This is the only series that's ever made me want to rewatch episodes so soon after they've aired.

I wonder if Angela actually got her moment of clarity or if she really wanted her revenge that bad.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Holy. Shit.

This is the only series that's ever made me want to rewatch episodes so soon after they've aired.

I wonder if Angela actually got her moment of clarity or if she really wanted her revenge that bad.

Honestly I hope they write Angela out I like the drug girl Elliot is with way more.

Maddocks

it seemed to me that as soon as Elliot got in bed, things became an hallucination. Because the guy Mr. Robot told to leave didn't leave and stuck around, and Elliot never went to the drug house, only in his mind did he visit.

Komo

Banned
Took a peak at the show last night out of curiosity after finding it linked on /r/itsaunixsystem

I binge watched all three episodes, and watched them again with a friend today up until the fourth. My gosh. I honestly haven't been so hooked on a show since Breaking Bad, haha.

Also, uh. Just curious because I think I missed it but...
Why did Angela put the CD containing the spyware onto the company computers? Was it because they (she and her boyfriend) were blackmailed to do it?

Seesaw15

Took a peak at the show last night out of curiosity after finding it linked on /r/itsaunixsystem

I binge watched all three episodes, and watched them again with a friend today up until the fourth. My gosh. I honestly haven't been so hooked on a show since Breaking Bad, haha.

Why did Angela put the CD containing the spyware onto the company computers? Was it because they (she and her boyfriend) were blackmailed to do it?

All Angela and her fathers credit info/identities were stolen and that was the only way to get it back. The only personal info they had on the boyfriend was his affair so once he told Angela he didn't care.

foxtrot3d

Banned
All Angela and her fathers credit info/identities were stolen and that was the only way to get it back. The only personal info they had on the boyfriend was his affair so once he told Angela he didn't care.

Also, is anyone else expecting there is more to Angela going along with the plan than her father's info? Like, how could they screw with her father's info so bad that he could never come back? They aren't in any trouble and could just show the disk and the threat to the police or her boss and thus have her accounts and identity protected. I feel like there is some other secret about her finances she doesn't want getting out.

CRS

Honestly I hope they write Angela out I like the drug girl Elliot is with way more.
She's still needed in the grand scheme of things. Don't really mind her.

it seemed to me that as soon as Elliot got in bed, things became an hallucination. Because the guy Mr. Robot told to leave didn't leave and stuck around, and Elliot never went to the drug house, only in his mind did he visit.
Yup, Recap: Withdrawal, takes rest of stash, withdrawal again, leaves for Steel Mountain, becomes bed ridden, goes through tough part of withdrawal (hallucinates everything from Mr. Robot telling Romero to leave to the moment he wakes up and starts crying)

What a trip.

Her boyfriend was being blackmailed by some hacker group (Most likely the same Chinese group, Dark Army) through information obtained from his laptop. Angela got involved since she had used it to sign into personal accounts like her student loans, bank account, etc. So Angela installed the daemon using her boyfriend's computer and getting into the building with his key card so he would get all the blame. She also gets her revenge for him cheating on her.

Nocebo

I hope Elliot as well as the show successfully kicks their drug habits. Sometimes it feels like the show is mostly about Elliot and other people doing and or coping with drugs and related dramas.

Firehead

Z9SvMSt.png

And what a journey it was. Wow.

Siegcram

This show has a talking fish voiced by Keith David. Didn't think I'd type that after the pilot.

Incredible episode, especially the audio side of things.

Goddamn that fish scene.

Still loving the soundtrack for this. I'd say it's at least on par with the soundtrack in Humans, maybe even better.

This show...so damn guuuuud!!

I thought my TV or cable was fucked for a second when they started using like stop motion when Elliot was in bed.

Mr. Robot is soooo Elliot.

The little monologue as Mr Robot sits behind Elliot in the car with no one paying him attention:

There's a saying - the devil is in his strongest whilst we are looking the other way, like a program running in the background silently whilst we are busy doing other shit. Daemons they call them, they perform action without user interaction. One iterating and logging, notifications, primal urges, repressed memories, unconscious habits... they are always there...

... they don't drive us, daemons do.

UrbanRats

So this show is pretty good, uh?
I wouldn't say great, because the writing definitely leaves me scratching my head a bit too much, going "are the writers incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid?".
It lacks subtlety, and that's what keeps it from being truly great, in my opinion, but the performance and general stylistic package it's wrapped into, is really fantastic, and sells it with a great amount of confidence, regardless.
And the soundtrack is so good.

Liked this episode, it was no Enter The Void levels of tripping, but still quite a decent attempt at it.
The guy playing Elliot manages to successfully sell some pretty ridiculous lines, too, so props to him.

Either way, they got me hooked, flaws and all.

aku:jiki

Hahaha, YES! The scene with the two dudes smoking a joint and making fun of Hackers is my new favorite thing.

Jokes aside, the accuracy on this show is fucking unreal, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this meticulous attention to detail in a TV show. This is some Kubrick type shit. From Elliot crushing and snorting pills to fetching a towel after buttsex creampies to the fact that the "anonymous" type videos are in 4:3 format like a webcam usually is. I keep looking for misses but there aren't any egregious ones that I've noticed.

As a swede, my favorite details is that Wellick is actually swedish and his wife is danish. I thought I caught them in a typical Hollywood mistake of mixing up scandinavian countries when she spoke, but then he actually responded to her in danish! Americans don't understand how fucking unreal that is, Hollywood never gives a shit that Norway, Sweden and Denmark aren't the same country.

There was a tiny thing earlier in the episode. When Elliot is laying his plan out, Mr Robot has a throwaway line that does not sound like something Elliot would say out loud (something like "let's just blow it up instead") and they cut to muslim girl reacting to it. I'm really hoping that they're playing with us with this Fight Club thing and that shot (and others) seemed to strengthen that theory for now.

Hahaha, YES! The scene with the two dudes smoking a joint and making fun of Hackers is my new favorite thing.

Jokes aside, the accuracy on this show is fucking unreal, I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like this meticulous attention to detail in a TV show. This is some Kubrick type shit. From Elliot crushing and snorting pills to fetching a towel after buttsex creampies to the fact that the "anonymous" type videos are in 4:3 format like a webcam usually is. I keep looking for misses but there aren't any egregious ones that I've noticed.

As a swede, my favorite details is that Wellick is actually swedish and his wife is danish. I thought I caught them in a typical Hollywood mistake of mixing up scandinavian countries when she spoke, but then he actually responded to her in danish! Americans don't understand how fucking unreal that is, Hollywood never gives a shit that Norway, Sweden and Denmark aren't the same country.

It begs the question:

I wouldn't say great, because the writing definitely leaves me scratching my head a bit too much, going "are the writers incredibly smart, or incredibly stupid?".

Writers like that surely wouldn't make a twist so damn obvious and honestly expect it to be a big surprise/actual twist. On the other hand, it could just be deliberate and they want to be upfront about the Fight Club riffing. At one point Elliot even wonders out aloud whether Mr Robot is one of his delusions (which would be too self-referential if they were building up to a twist).

Or it really isn't a Fight Club type twist and they're playing us (but also have some reasonable explanation for Mr Robot).

Macnair

4th episode was so good and weird. Mr. Robot showing up from the shadows when Elliot woke up was creepy. Do you guys think Elliot knows Mr. Robot doesn't exist?

UrbanRats

It begs the question:

Writers like that surely wouldn't make a twist so damn obvious and honestly expect it to be a big surprise/actual twist. On the other hand, it could just be deliberate and they want to be upfront about the Fight Club riffing. At one point Elliot even wonders out aloud whether Mr Robot is one of his delusions (which would be too self-referential if they were building up to a twist).

Or it really isn't a Fight Club type twist and they're playing us (but also have some reasonable explanation for Mr Robot).

I'm not referring to the Fight Club twist though, but things like the social commentary (the monologue Elliot has at the shrink in episode 1, for example) or some cliches like the very clean looking rich dude beating a homeless guy to cool off and being into BDSM.
These sort of cliches would be potentially eye-rolling, if i didn't have the sense that the writers are actually playing me with them, planning a twist on it all, further down the line.
The fact that Elliot is the unreliable POV of the whole series (everyone calling it Evil Corp as evidence of that) is enough for me to believe that they're not actually playing it straight, with the Anonymous masked dude, and the "FSociety" nickname, and so on.

foxtrot3d

Banned
There was a tiny thing earlier in the episode. When Elliot is laying his plan out, Mr Robot has a throwaway line that does not sound like something Elliot would say out loud (something like "let's just blow it up instead") and they cut to muslim girl reacting to it. I'm really hoping that they're playing with us with this Fight Club thing and that shot (and others) seemed to strengthen that theory for now.

Elliot is an unreliable POV so you can't exactly say that "that is not something he wouuld say out loud." I think it's clear that Mr. Robot is his more aggressive persona which he continually wrestles with, at first he suggests blowing the place up but Elliot isn't cool with potentially harming civilians. Now, if Mr. Robot were real they could have simply gone on with the plan as scheduled but nothing happens and instead everyone just waits for Elliot to show back up. His line that "let's just blow it up instead" at that moment was one of the big deal sealers for me that he's fake because he's playing the classic "devil on the shoulder." I think what ultimately sealed the fact for me this episode was when those two hacker dudes are talking outside about Elliot and how the one guy doesn't trust him while the other said "he's gotten us this far." An odd line to say for a guy who we are led to believe has literally only done one job with them as opposed to being their leader.

aku:jiki

Indeed, I'm finding it very hard to peg this show right now. All I know is, if they are playing us and they pull whatever they're trying off, it'll probably be pretty damn great and this show can pretty much only end up as very impressive or very disappointing.

"FSociety"
This reminds me... I've only ever seen the fsociety stencils in scenes with Elliot until the latest episode, where the bathroom with the ecstasy makeout scene was covered in them. No idea what/if that means at this point...

His line that "let's just blow it up instead" at that moment was one of the big deal sealers for me that he's fake because he's playing the classic "devil on the shoulder."
But that's exactly what I mean, though. I agree that this was exactly what Robot was in that scene, but I don't see how that's an argument for why Elliot said it out loud... I understand the flow of the rest of the setup, I'm talking specifically about the muslim girl shooting Mr Robot a look in that specific scene.

Cappa

Banned
Put me next to the goddamned window 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Keith David as a talking fish convinced me this show is going somewhere special.

Anyone else think the "you've only existed for a month" line might be some weird metacommentary on television? After all, we're exactly a month in to the show.

faridmon

OK, I am thinking of dropping this show. last episode was just plain boring with nothing happening except setting up things.

I wasn't too hot for this show in the first place, but last episode made it easier.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
OK, I am thinking of dropping this show. last episode was just plain boring with nothing happening except setting up things.

I wasn't too hot for this show in the first place, but last episode made it easier.
How do you find this show boring?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom