• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bracewell

Why did Tyrell feel the need to beat up the homeless guy? Just to show that he's an asshole that lets out his anger like that?

Every time Tyrell did something that didn't sit right with me (his treatment of the homeless man, that dude from the club, or his wife), I just whipped out my mental checklist that I use whenever I watch Hannibal.

"Rich? Check. White? Check. Man? Check. Carry on."

Tunin

I'm digging this quite hard. After being disappointed with True Detective S02, my hopes were renewed. Not sure how they're going to develop the plot, I can't see how they can hold for much longer.

I'm waiting to be surprised.

Why did Tyrell feel the need to beat up the homeless guy? Just to show that he's an asshole that lets out his anger like that?
I took it as a normal thing. He's basically hired to be a punching bag when he gets frustrated. The homeless guy made a comment hinting this is basically a normal thing. I guess when he asked for the extra $100.

Akahige

Good episode, it's nice to get more insight into the secondary characters when it's strange and interesting like what the hell Tyrell was up to, but I am not digging the Angela and Ollie story so far, the writing of their interactions hasn't exactly been good.

The 2nd and 3rd episode haven't lived up to the pilot so far but it's still good.

I must have missed it, but what was the need for hacking the guys phone he picked up out front of the club?

I don't think it was mentioned exactly what he was planning on doing with it but the guy is the CEOs assistant so there are some likely scenarios that can play out from this.

CRS

^ yes, very.

Am I the only one who thinks its a Dexter esk scenario?
This is what I hope the show doesn't turn into. It definitely has that kind of feel when the CD case was shown with all the people he's 'connected with'.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
People on Previously were saying he was speaking in Swedish and she was speaking in Danish.
Didn't the US broadcast had subtitles on that segment?

BTW I'm liking this way more than I expected.

DOWN

Banned
I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers but does GAF recommend starting this show Now that you've seen a bit? I'm someone who finds Suits melodrama lame.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
I'm kind of digging this. Loved the pilot, last two episodes were okay. One thing I'm not really understanding and maybe I just missed something here but why does Evil Corps actually refer to themselves as Evil Corps? Even the news broadcast was referring to the company as Evil Corps. Is that just in Elliott's head or are they actually called Evil Corps lol? In the pilot I remember it just being E Corps or something.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I haven't read the thread for fear of spoilers but does GAF recommend starting this show Now that you've seen a bit? I'm someone who finds Suits melodrama lame.

I don't know what Suits is, but there isn't much on TV like Mr. Robot. It's a very self-serious, moody, modern day cyberpunk, paranoia thriller. The first episode is still its best, but it has maintained a high level of quality and I'd say almost everybody who is watching it in this thread has continued to enjoy it.

Sober

USA's programming has been changing drastically lately and it's not much of the Psych-Suits-Burn Notice-Royal Pains happy-go-lucky blue skies, bright smiles kind of shows being exclusive to the network.

Mr. Robot is probably the biggest drastic switch. I believe Complications is also one of those as well (haven't started that yet). I think they also have Colony coming up IIRC.

brau

Just watched last night all 3 episodes... holy cow... what a show. I am loving it. Was captivated by the 5 mins and it didn't get go. Interesting characters, amazing cinematography and direction, and so far. very smart dialogue. very well played with the music and the setting too.

Loving it.

brau

Every time Tyrell did something that didn't sit right with me (his treatment of the homeless man, that dude from the club, or his wife), I just whipped out my mental checklist that I use whenever I watch Hannibal.

I felt that he took a big blow to his ego, with the company turning him down and telling him there is another candidate they are considering and to schedule something in 2 weeks. I don't think he takes that very well, and he has to let out some steam and goes beats the homeless dude as he pays him. Shows a few things about his character.

He doesn't take loosing well.
He has to be in control. Even when its a homeless guy, he is in control by paying him. So he believes in money as means to control.
The guy he got involved with.. i have no idea... lol. that was super random, as well as the sexual encounter. But i feel they also speak some big strokes as to his character.

But so far.. .loving this show... every scene has a purpose, and it stands on its own for the most part. The music is well done, and is only enhancing the occurrences in the show. VERY COOL.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
I just hope Mr.Robot not being real is not supposed to be the big shocking reveal at the end. It would be really disappointing if something that most people have figured out by episode 2 was the big twist of the season. It's just way too obvious so I can only assume and hope that they will reveal it fairly soon and won't drag it out till the end of the season or maybe even the end of the whole show.

What if Mr.Robot is a little of both? Like a real person but with instances of Elliot imagining him? I really don't think it's meant to be a mystery though, it was pretty blatant from just the pilot and they're pretty much screaming at us that he isn't real.

Binge watched the first three episodes today. So far, I like what I've seen.

So you guys think he's not real? I guess I wasn't really paying attention to his interactions with other people when Elliot was around. What would his motivation be for jumping off the railings? Though I can see with the guilt, drugs, etc that he could develop Mr. Robot. Definitely want to see how things play out.

And I didn't understand why the girl would suggest installing whatever digital exploit/malware into the network? The boyfriend admitted to his wrong doing and suggests going to the authorities. He even suggests that the hackers would perform identity theft regardless of if they gave into their demands. Just came off as irrational.

brau

Binge watched the first three episodes today. So far, I like what I've seen.

So you guys think he's not real? I guess I wasn't really paying attention to his interactions with other people when Elliot was around.

And I didn't understand why the girl would suggest installing whatever digital exploit/malware into the network? The boyfriend admitted to his wrong doing and suggests going to the authorities. He even suggests that the hackers would perform identity theft regardless of if they gave into their demands. Just came off as irrational.

I guess she feels like she is on thin ice already, after the whole meeting where she was asked to leave.

I do think its a bit forced. Specially she taking him back after 5 mins of him talking to her about it. Maybe its just revealing more about her personality... how she wants to take responsability, but in the end can't handle it and allows people to manipulate her.

I guess she feels like she is on thin ice already, after the whole meeting where she was asked to leave.

I do think its a bit forced. Specially she taking him back after 5 mins of him talking to her about it. Maybe its just revealing more about her personality... how she wants to take responsability, but in the end can't handle it and allows people to manipulate her.

yes, but her boyfriend brought up the good point that they could both lose their jobs. She has some serious student loan debt and the loss of income and stigma of how she lost her job would be a serious risk versus just going to the authorities or telling Elliot at the very least.

Elliot can definitely choose them.

And maybe she took him back because she needed some kind of support/shoulder in the face of their predicament.

brau

yes, but her boyfriend brought up the good point that they could both lose their jobs. She has some serious student loan debt and the loss of income and stigma of how she lost her job would be a serious risk versus just going to the authorities or telling Elliot at the very least.

Elliot can definitely choose them.

And maybe she took him back because she needed some kind of support/shoulder in the face of their predicament.

I can see what you mean and i agree. I guess we'll have to see how this plays out to see if this is justified.

I felt that whole scene was a little rushed. But it might make sense in how it resolves, or doesn't resolve itself.

Brofield

Binge watched all the episodes thus far and I'm disappointed that Showcase in Canada seems to have picked up syndication but it's not airing simultaneously.

Does anyone know why Hola! isn't working with the USA Network? Been giving me issues where it won't load and I would like to watch this as legally-ish as I can, if for no other reason than to avoid viruses that had my laptop in for repairs the last week.

Z9SvMSt.png

foxtrot3d

Banned
I just caught up with the show after watching the pilot a while back and really liking it and I fucking love this show. The production quality is insane, it's hard to believe this is a USA show with such competent cinematography. Quick thoughts, I agree in that I think Mr. Robot is a hallucination. In fact, the show seems to have you continually questioning with reality considering that people routinely use the name "EvilCorp," I'm almost positive that Elliot is simply imagining that. Also, I'm not sure I like Tyrell's character.

LOL. Yup. Tyrell just comes off as a sort of cliche sociopath, maybe it's because I've seen enough Hannibal but the moment he pulled up in that poor area of town I guessed that he was going to beat up a homeless guy. I think the scene where he was slapping himself and trying to get himself under perfect control really telegraphed this. Of course his whole "I'll do whatever it takes" sociopathic attitude results in him having to pretend to be gay and even having anal sex with a dude in order to eventually destroy him. I just find that his character or mainly the POV parts with him seems out of place when the show mostly focuses on purely Elliot. I prefer his character in the background and not in the forefront.

golem

LOL. Yup. Tyrell just comes off as a sort of cliche sociopath, maybe it's because I've seen enough Hannibal but the moment he pulled up in that poor area of town I guessed that he was going to beat up a homeless guy. I think the scene where he was slapping himself and trying to get himself under perfect control really telegraphed this. Of course his whole "I'll do whatever it takes" sociopathic attitude results in him having to pretend to be gay and even having anal sex with a dude in order to eventually destroy him. I just find that his character or mainly the POV parts with him seems out of place when the show mostly focuses on purely Elliot. I prefer his character in the background and not in the forefront.

Yeah I hope he gets a little more interesting. I had some hopes for him as a character that Elliot might be able to relate to after the chat about linux desktop environments in the pilot despite being a cog of evil corp. He would be much more interesting if they went in that direction.

Yes that Hackers cameo lol
An episode like this doesn't happen until season 2.
Great episode
That's how you solved that Elliot women problem. Have them get together lol dump him on the side

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom