• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot |OT| Byte Club - a new hacker thriller - Wednesdays on USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't buy the Angela blackmailing story. Neither of them have anything illegal to cover up as far as I'm aware, they both work for a cybersecurity company good enough to get hired by the biggest corporation around, but some rando in a baseball cap gets your dad's SS number and suddenly you've got no choice but to compromise your company? Unless I missed something.

RS4-

I think Angela will bring Elliot into the fold about the hack.

And part of me kinda hopes that Slater's character is real.

Zomba13

I don't buy the Angela blackmailing story. Neither of them have anything illegal to cover up as far as I'm aware, they both work for a cybersecurity company good enough to get hired by the biggest corporation around, but some rando in a baseball cap gets your dad's SS number and suddenly you've got no choice but to compromise your company? Unless I missed something.

I think her thinking is that if they go to the cops or anyone then their stuff will get sold/leaked and it's a very hard thing to do when all that stuff has been stolen and she thinks that going along with their plan they will keep their word and not sell her information/Social Security/Bank details etc

Though really you can never trust mysterious blackmailers because as soon as you are no use to them they will sell you out anyway so you might as well go to the cops or speak to your boss/best friend super tech guy about looking into it.

-BLITZ-

This is my theory but I'm not sure since he was at least like 8? I dunno if you'd forget

I know that I saw a similar *theory* scene once, from a movie where a person who lost his father in his childhood close to the same age, forgot how he look like once the time passed because the impact was too much to take. During the movie he meets someone and in the end it shows that it was his actual father or a final reconcile with his own mind as everything was just made up. it's vague because I don't remember much at all although last year Perception series had a similar episode where the main
character forgot how he look when he was a teenager, but that is a memory loss problem related to the series
. The thing is that you have the person in front of you, but you simply don't realize it. Elliot father tragic death could had been a very serious shock for him that he couldn't not pass and he kept only for him.

Or Mr. Robot could simply be a random creation made by Elliot to push into vengeance over his father death. He talks more about his father rather than his mom which it seems to have some parental issues.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Another episode where they go out of their way to make sure nobody acknowledges the existence of Mr. Robot.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
It seems pretty obvious to me that Elliot is the head of fsociety at this point.

There's no way Mr Robot can be real.

Yeah. The fact that all the fsociety members were doting over him when he showed up at the arcade at the end kind of reinforces that.

Nocebo

Yeah. The fact that all the fsociety members were doting over him when he showed up at the arcade at the end kind of reinforces that.
I also think it is likely that mr robot is not a real person. However there were some people in the background at Elliot's company that seemed to react to mr robot while he was talking to elliot. Could have been an goof during filming or can be explained away as "they're just looking up from what they're doing because they're wondering why elliot is standing around like a jackass staring into space".

Not sure what outcome I would like more though.

KingKong

I dunno, I was interested in the first episode but they made Elliot too normal too quickly. He went from a loner weirdo to basically a slightly socially awkward normal guy. And the big twist seems too obvious to not be true.

Mindlog

I'm still liking the show more than any other in quite some time. It's weird though because for some reason I'm worried this show has the potential to be one of my biggest let-downs. I've never experienced that with a television program before.

Mr. Robot is obviously a hallucination. Even when Elliot is at fsociety HQ he is directly behind Mr. Robot reinforcing the fact that that is his medium to communicate with them. His talks with Mr. Robot and us are simply his internal conflicts being rendered graphically.

TripOpt55

Good episode. I enjoyed seeing Elliot at the party for a bit of a different side of him however brief it ended up being. Not sure I'm digging the blackmail plot with Angela and her boryfriend though.

Frog-fu

Banned
Nobody seemed to acknowledge Mr Robot during their scene at the bar, but still think Mr Robot = Elliot is a fakeout and that he is an actual person.

So along with the shades of Person of Interest and the dose of Fight Club, now we got a sprinkling of American Psycho.

Fucking hell, this show is good.

- Tyrell's day.
- Mr Robot almost assuredly is in Elliot's imagination
- Elliot's Spider-Man 2 montage (Was he drinking Starbucks?)
- I like Shayla
- Douche coming clean, lol

But I have a bad feeling when Shayla said that last week's dickhead crew's out on bail.

Jackson

Nobody seemed to acknowledge Mr Robot during their scene at the bar, but Itill think Mr Robot = Elliot is a fakeout and that he is an actual person.

Just caught up with episode 3. The fight club idea seems so obvious at this point that it must be a red herring right?

Just saw this on Reddit - http://i.imgur.com/DcBfHB9.gifv - People interacting with Mr Robot

Ya, Mr. Robot is so over-the-top when giving off Tyler Durden vibes that I'm sure he's not simply imaginary. He could be many things, but he's not Elliot's repressed psyche. It's way to on the nose now.

Siegcram

Well, in that particular case "imaginary people" was referring to the audience, the conceit of the narration being that he is talking to an imaginary friend - a stand-in for us, the viewers.

There he acknowledged it, though, so someone like Mr. Robot being imaginary in a way that he doesn't actively recognize suggests that it's more like a delusion, akin to when he hears his pet name of "Evil Corp" stated out loud by other characters who obviously would never call it that.
There are several layers to his hallucinations and he himself isn't even sure to the degree some things he perceives are real or not. We have Mr. Robot, his MiB pursuers ... I'm not even convinced everyone at the Coney Island arcade is real.

Siegcram

Oh yeah, absolutely. I think the focus on "omg this is like fight club mr robot is tyler durden!" in the discussion surrounding the show has kind of elided some of the subtler nuances in that area, though. I am very curious if we'll ever be able to step outside of the perspective of Elliot that has so thoroughly dominated the show so far, to know what we'll see if/when that happens.
They seem to be setting up Tyrell as the polar opposite, so maybe we get some reverse shots of those two interacting, but I would actually prefer it if the actual state of Elliot's reality is left ambiguous to the end or at least, isn't spoon-fed to the audience by his psychiatrist or something like that.

I don't really see them doing that though, if anything it's probably going to get worse, given his identity crisis and drug situation.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I don't know if the fight club is going to be a red herring, We noticed the hacker chick not spot the MiB guys as she pushed them into the train. I believe Elliot also asked to himself if she spotted them.

It certainly seems the MiB and Robot are all fake.

Also, Damn this show is good, out of no where. I kinda wish I had waited until the season finished, I just keep wanting to watch after an episode has finished.

LiQuid!

Just caught up with episode 3. The fight club idea seems so obvious at this point that it must be a red herring right?

Just saw this on Reddit - http://i.imgur.com/DcBfHB9.gifv - People interacting with Mr Robot

The problem is that Elliot is such an unreliable narrator than any evidence provided to support either outcome could just be an elaborate ruse from the creators. They're clearly manipulating us.

This is the introduction of his Mr. Robot persona. They'll flash back to this and show yes there WAS a homeless man begging for money...but it wasn't Mr. Robot.

In fact, I think he'll be in therapy when this is revealed to Elliot. He'll talk about how he first met the guy (who at this point the psychologist has told Elliot he isn't real) and as we get flashbacks, Elliot will slowly start to realize himself that Mr. Robot isn't real.

faridmon

None of these assholes in this show are likeable. God, Never had I wish something bad to .
But like every USA show, its enjoyable on a more superficial level, but there is always something missing. Characters acting like idiots when they shouldn't, characters acting tough when they ought not to, People are not drawn realistically.

Also it feels that this show does not have heart. It has the bells and whistles, but the charm of an intimate show is not there. But whatever, its still enjoyable.

Also. there is something wrong with their Danish (or is it Swedish?)

Siegcram

None of these assholes in this show are likeable. God, Never had I wish something bad to .
But like every USA show, its enjoyable on a more superficial level, but there is always something missing. Characters acting like idiots when they shouldn't, characters acting tough when they ought not to, People are not drawn realistically.

Also it feels that this show does not have heart. It has the bells and whistles, but the charm of an intimate show is not there. But whatever, its still enjoyable.
How is Elliot an asshole? Or Shayla? Or Angela?

And it sounds like swedish.

Zoe

People on Previously were saying he was speaking in Swedish and she was speaking in Danish.

faridmon

Well, as a Norwegian, something felt off. I recently finished watching Younger and that had a Swedish character, and not only did they nail his character, he spoke Swedish was fluent.

How is Elliot an asshole? Or Shayla? Or Angela?

And it sounds like swedish.

Shayla kept complaining about her life while living in it. Felt like there heavy cognitive dissonance involved.
Angela is actually the reason for my complaint. Elliot stood for her in the meeting, she stops speaking to her. She has a boyfriend, yet hitting on Elliot and the way she reacts in regards to Shayla is just super irritating. There is high-horse air about her and just acts like a spoilt brat. Also the ending of that 3rd episode just make her even hate more. I guess I hate primadonna character.

I suppose better word would be for some of the characters, would be unlikable.

I know that you will not agree with me, but I really place emphasis on charm and honesty, and none of them had it.
For reference, I never liked most of the characters in Suits as well. Its just this superficial character development in these type of shows that puts me off somehow.

Siegcram

Shayla kept complaining about her life while living in it. Felt like there heavy cognitive dissonance involved.
Angela is actually the reason for my complaint. Elliot stood for her in the meeting, she stops speaking to her. She has a boyfriend, yet hitting on Elliot and the way she reacts in regards to Shayla is just super irritating. There is high-horse air about her and just acts like a spoilt brat. Also the ending of that 3rd episode just make her even hate more. I guess I hate primadonna character.

I suppose better word would be for some of the characters, would be unlikable.
Shayla is a drug dealer/addict in abusive relationships and a recent rape victim. To complain that she doesn't have it together is pretty fucked up. Not to mention that Frankie Shaw is killing it.

Angela, while being the weakest character so far, is so far removed from being a primadonna, I don't even get what you're talking about. And her weird behavior at the end felt like an act for the camera she just found out about.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Angela, while being the weakest character so far, is so far removed from being a primadonna, I don't even get what you're talking about. And her weird behavior at the end felt like an act for the camera she just found out about.

Angela has been a really street smart character, it's her boyfriend that's the doofus, she's totally just going along to get along, she's gonna get that CD to Elliot and maintain the pretense with her BF.

Tyrell being a Euro/Gay/Psycho/Fitness/Bondage/Hacker/Neurotic/Freak is ticking all the bad guy stereotypes. He's just a notch below Hannibal playing an original harpsichord composition at a dinner party from a giant flashing neon "evil" sign.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
hmm, wierd. Maybe I couldn't hear him well.
EDIT: Actually rewatcing it, yeah, his accent is wierd, but yeah he is Swedish.
Nothing wrong with his accent, same with the Danish the wife(?) spoke (and I'm Swedish). Really refreshing having actors/actresses who actually speak the language when their characters are foreign.

faridmon

Nothing wrong with his accent, same with the Danish the wife(?) spoke (and I'm Swedish). Really refreshing having actors/actresses who actually speak the language when their characters are foreign.

Just means that I have harder time understanding the language then lol

That scene where Mr. Robot rants to Eliot about binary and his revolution ending with Darlene yelling at him for disappearing in E2 had such fantastic fucking music accompanying it. Felt so Reznor-esque.

Btw, I adore this show and I only wish I had waited so I could binge the entire season at once. (They really need to release the soundtrack to this show ASAP)

I'm presume that he was going to beat her?

That would at least be a better outcome than having sex at that point lol. Unprotected anal sex, no clean up, then going over to his wife? Yuck.

Anyway, just caught this episode this morning. Good overall. Still wary of the Fight Club direction and potential twists. But it is still intriguing enough to where I want to make sure I don't miss it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom