• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

First two episodes ehh now it's 10/10 I have no idea where anything is going I love it. I remember that old USA intro from the first days of Monday Night RAW so many memories.

Amazing episode, loving this season so far.

They're obviously hinting at Tyrell being dead, but it almost feels too obvious. Did Elliot imagine Tyrell in the boot of the trunk/being murdered because it actually happened or because he's scared it did?

Amazing episode, loving this season so far.

They're obviously hinting at Tyrell being dead, but it almost feels too obvious. Did Elliot imagine Tyrell in the boot of the trunk/being murdered because it actually happened or because he's scared it did?

I think it's his assumption which turned into that 80s comedy delusion. I don't think Tyrell is dead considering the box that was mailed to Joanna, and the phone call to Elliot. I think it's clear that Tyrell and Mr. Robot planned something together, and will execute it once Elliot is on board with Mr. Robot.

Doing a fake 80s/90s sitcom episode isn't exactly creative in 2016.

I would argue it is, as long as you tie the 80s/90s sitcom to an aspect of the story, and don't just make it an obvious superficial parody. Which is what the show did. The whole 80s/90s sitcom was basically when Elliot lost time and Mr. Robot subbed in.

CRS

It's Mr Robot protecting Elliott during the entire car ride. Elliott felt moments of the beating when he saw glimpses of the fight through Darlene's Gameboy and the side view mirror but was kept being told to look straight.

Dysun

The beginning ran on a little bit long for me, but the second half of the episode was fantastic.

Angela about to be put under the microscope soon

I liked the episode overall but I couldn't help but think that in a world where Too Many Cooks exists the beginning felt kind of trite and predictable? *Shrug*

Future

Too much surreal imagery without new information for the viewer. That's been this season in a nutshell. Characters remain in similar states for multiple episodes on end

I think this is a season that would be amazing if all episodes were available at once. This slow drip of revelation is just frustrating

Too much surreal imagery without new information for the viewer. That's been this season in a nutshell. Characters remain in similar states for multiple episodes on end

I think this is a season that would be amazing if all episodes were available at once. This slow drip of revelation is just frustrating
Things are actually going somewhere though, so it's a start.

Monocle

This season is definitely improving, although I will say that I don't like when major arcs hinge on happenstance. I can't get completely on board with a guy Elliot meets at a basketball court just happening to be some sort of black market bigshot who drags him into a contained dilemma that doesn't have much to do with the rest of the plot so far. This isn't a satisfying direction for Elliot's character. His power struggle with Mr. Robot is unfolding in a less entertaining way than it could b (barring the chess match episode), and until recently he hadn't even hacked anything.

I had hoped this season would center around the aftermath of the hack, its broader effects, and the implications for all of the major characters. That's actually pretty much what we're getting, but it doesn't feel like it. The show is taking a bunch of weird side roads. I wanted to see fsociety pushed further underground, them against the world, together. I hate how Gideon was unceremoniously discarded—a major injustice to such a great character, and for what? I miss Tyrell, and his interaction with Elliot, and the whole power couple thing he had with his awesome wife. I wish the characters weren't all so isolated from one another. That part is getting better, but Elliot is still off doing his own thing, and to me it's just not that interesting. I love the idea of the Dark Army, but that plot thread, along with the FBI investigation, is too separated from everything else, which would actually be fine if the core characters were in more dramatically satisfying places. At least Angela's plot is finally picking up.

This isn't a bad season, it's a different season. For the most part, it's swerved off the tracks that were laid in season 1, and I'm just not into that. I hope the rest of the season changes my mind. I still feel invested in these characters, but at this rate, I wonder for how long.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
To be fair, the poster you quoted was comparing it to Community, a show that was never any good, so maybe it was a veiled insult.

lmao

I would argue it is, as long as you tie the 80s/90s sitcom to an aspect of the story and don't just make it an obvious superficial parody. Which is what the show did. The whole 80s/90s sitcom was basically when Elliot lost time and Mr. Robot subbed in.

Tying it into the story was nice, and a step above what most other shows do, but I still wouldn't exactly call that creative.

Episode six is one of the best episodes of a TV show I've ever seen. Gave me big vibes of a certain episode from the last series of The Leftovers, which also happens to be one of the best episodes from a TV series ever.

Out. Fucking. Standing!

I could write page after page eulogizing about everything I loved about it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Episode six is one of the best episodes of a TV show I've ever seen. Gave me big vibes of a certain episode from the last series of The Leftovers, which also happens to be one of the best episodes from a TV series ever.

Out. Fucking. Standing!

I could write page after page eulogizing about everything I loved about it.

Please do.

Serpico99

This season is amazing! I get some people who probably binged the first season find this one slow, but it's taking considerable risks like Hannibal. I hope USA supports this for at least one more season, because this is the most daring show in a while. The show we deserve after that disappointing S2 of True Detective.

I just love the psychological aspect, which is what I always related to during the first season, because I'm pretty basic when it comes to tech stuff. Deep down to the core this show is about how lonely and connected we are at the same time.

Plus living in NYC is always a bonus for watching this show... like why in the hell would you commute from the LES to Coney Island. Awful commute ha

Monocle

This season is amazing! I get some people who probably binged the first season find this one slow, but it's taking considerable risks like Hannibal. I hope USA supports this for at least one more season, because this is the most daring show in a while. The show we deserve after that disappointing S2 of True Detective.

I just love the psychological aspect, which is what I always related to during the first season, because I'm pretty basic when it comes to tech stuff. Deep down to the core this show is about how lonely and connected we are at the same time.
I'd challenge the Hannibal comparison for the simple reason that S3 was well justified in being so slow and dreamlike. By that point in the show the characters had long since claimed the main focus. There was no greater story waiting to be told, and it was correct to stay immersed in Will's state of mind after the events of S2's finale.

Mr. Robot is character oriented but its story is much broader in scope and its momentum wasn't dissipated in some huge climax in the finale, but rather picked up more steam. There was no need isolate most of the characters from each other and take such a long time to get the wheels moving and resume a story that was showing no sign of slowing down. It's like S2 opened a release valve and let all the built up energy from S1 go to waste.

kirblar

I'd challenge the Hannibal comparison for the simple reason that S3 was well justified in being so slow and dreamlike. By that point in the show the characters had long since claimed the main focus. There was no greater story waiting to be told, and it was correct to stay immersed in Will's state of mind after the events of S2's finale.

Mr. Robot is character oriented but its story is much broader in scope and its momentum wasn't dissipated in some huge climax in the finale, but rather picked up more steam. There was no need isolate most of the characters from each other and take such a long time to get the wheels moving and resume a story that was showing no sign of slowing down. It's like S2 opened a release valve and let all the built up energy from S1 go to waste.
S3's dreamlike thing was less artistic and more budget.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Still don't get the fascination with having to see more of the effects of the day of the crash. Like it's a market crash. People are miserable. Elliot did it and doesn't know why because his mind doesn't want him to. The inner struggle of an angry young man slowly becoming unhinged or complete is far more interesting than watching what we went through in 2008 happen all over again. I don't need to know more about the day quite yet because there's still a giant inner working mess that is unraveling itself. Plus how effective is an unhinged Elliot going to be to fsociety?

I had hoped this season would center around the aftermath of the hack, its broader effects, and the implications for all of the major characters. That's actually pretty much what we're getting, but it doesn't feel like it. The show is taking a bunch of weird side roads. I wanted to see fsociety pushed further underground, them against the world, together. I hate how Gideon was unceremoniously discarded—a major injustice to such a great character, and for what? I miss Tyrell, and his interaction with Elliot, and the whole power couple thing he had with his awesome wife. I wish the characters weren't all so isolated from one another. That part is getting better, but Elliot is still off doing his own thing, and to me it's just not that interesting. I love the idea of the Dark Army, but that plot thread, along with the FBI investigation, is too separated from everything else, which would actually be fine if the core characters were in more dramatically satisfying places. At least Angela's plot is finally picking up.

Except we have gotten the aftermath of the hack. We see ECorp still trying to survive after losing a huge chunk of their business post-data wipeout. Those who are tied to ECorp are suffering when they're unable to even acquire their assets, which goes to show the irony behind fsociety's noble goal: by trying to free the people, they're caused people to be further tied up to their banking companies. Fsociety is trying to kill off the last of ECorp, and it looks possible now that the USA likely won't accept a buyout from China after what happened to Dom and the FBI.

Elliot was always going to be isolated from the start of the season. You don't just have dissociative identity disorder, and then decide to go back into hacking, or whatever normal activities you'd be doing on a daily basis. Elliot needed to isolate himself so that he could lower the risk of Mr. Robot intervening, it makes sense why the show went with that direction. It also makes sense for the other members of fsociety, considering they'd want to distance themselves as much as possible so as to avoid detection from FBI.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I would argue it is, as long as you tie the 80s/90s sitcom to an aspect of the story, and don't just make it an obvious superficial parody. Which is what the show did. The whole 80s/90s sitcom was basically when Elliot lost time and Mr. Robot subbed in.

No, the sitcom was Mr. Robot protecting Elliot from the straight #SAVAGE beating he was getting from the end of the last episode. Mr. Robot even states this to Elliot at the end of that "episode" when they arrive at the hospital. Why do you think Elliot hugged Mr. Robot when they were alone after he was taken from the hospital by Ray's goons and thrown into a locked room?

The out of nowhere effect of it and the black comedy was just simply amazing. Especially after that shootout and the beating starting to happen in the previous episode.

No, the sitcom was Mr. Robot protecting Elliot from the straight #SAVAGE beating he was getting from the end of the last episode. Mr. Robot even states this to Elliot at the end of that "episode" when they arrive at the hospital. Why do you think Elliot hugged Mr. Robot when they were alone after he was taken from the hospital by Ray's goons and thrown into a locked room?

The out of nowhere effect of it and the black comedy was just simply amazing. Especially after that shootout and the beating starting to happen in the previous episode.

When I said "lost time" I meant at the point where Elliot was getting beat up by Ray's goons.

cLOUDo

tumblr_mzdehvvm5m1qgf4joo1_r1_500.gif

TripOpt55

I definitely enjoyed the Darlene-Angela parts more than the throwback sitcom thing myself. My favorite part of the latter was probably the bit in the intro credits with Gideon Goddard. That made me laugh. Good episode overall. Not nearly as good as the previous episode though.

Finally caught up last few episodes. Craig Robinson is a bad dude. That first 20 min this week was something else. Show s getting back to s1 levels after slow start to the season

Can we talk about the needle in the finger scene? Fuck me, I usually don't cringe or look away from the screen during graphic moments, wouldn't consider myself squeamish at all, but man that scene really fucked with me so much that I'm still thinking about it 5 days later, and even imagining it causes a reflex reaction. That's gotta be one of the most painful methods of torture out there, and I'm surprised I've never seen it used before in anything, simple and effective.

cLOUDo

The hacking plan change offscreen or I miss something?
Darlene says that Angela just have to put a cellphone in the building... "Simple"
Lol

And how the floor was so empty or why just write the commands in a paper or in you phone

RPS37

Finally caught up last few episodes. Craig Robinson is a bad dude. That first 20 min this week was something else. Show s getting back to s1 levels after slow start to the season

I totally agree. I feel like this episode was possibly the best this season.
Anyone figure out about the ARG thing yet???

Future

Angela and Darlene's scenes were great. Elliot's, on the other hand...not so much. That's sort of been the reoccurring theme this season, too, which is a shame.

Doing a fake 80s/90s sitcom episode isn't exactly creative in 2016.

Not much mr robot himself either.

Season 1, mr robot was making shit happen getting Elliot to do the right things. Mr robot was a clever dude and it was fun seeing him solve problems and save the day

Seems like this seasons theme is Elliot fighting mr robot every step of the way. Literally 6 episodes of mr robot telling Elliot to do shit and him defiantly not doing shit, and getting himself into trouble. Our protagonist is neutered, and now only the support characters are doing anything. Yet they all depended on Elliot (mr robot) in the past so they are kinda weak now

Interesting season. Just not very entertaining plot wise cuz our hero is barely a hero anymore

CRS

go on the Mr Robot sub reddit. That site isn't even the whole thing. Some of the arg most likely starts with or also heavily relies on the kernel panic code during the beginning episodes.

Ruruja

Just caught up on S2. Last few episodes have been really good after the slow start to the season. Still not hit the heights of S1 but that was always gonna be hard to do, it's not far off though.

KorrZ

I feel like episode 6 here was a tremendous slamming on the brakes after episode 5.

Just as I thought the season was picking up steam Elliott is back to doing nothing. It's driving me nuts. I love the characters in this show and genuinely think that most of the scenes are brilliant individually but as a whole the pace is just glacial this season.

I went back and watched the first two episodes of season 1 to see if I was just crazy but nope, the pace is entirely different. There is a clear momentum that's utterly lacking in this season so far.

I still love this show, and am in it for the long run but man I hope they have some significant pay off at the end of this.

ezekial45

Banned
It's been renewed for Season 3

Mr. Robot, from creator Sam Esmail and Universal Cable Prods., has been USA’s buzziest series in a while and the most acclaimed ever. It was recently nominated for six Emmys, including best drama series and best actor for star Rami Malek.

Ratings for the hacker drama have been challenging. A breakout in its first season, Mr. Robot has seen its linear ratings decline in Season 2, most recently hitting new Live+same day lows of 572,000 viewers and a 0.22 adults 18-49 last week. The series has seen solid DVR gains (the July 13 S2 premiere had a 116% viewership jump and a 119% 18-49 surge over its L+SD numbers), and it has done pretty well in multi-platform/on-demand viewing. Above all, despite its modest overall ratings performance, Mr. Robot has become a prestige series and a calling card for an edgier, younger-skewing USA brand.

“We couldn’t be more proud of Mr. Robot, a series that has pushed boundaries, captured the cultural zeitgeist, and been honored as one of the best dramas on television,” said Chris McCumber, President, Entertainment Networks for NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment. “Midway through its second season, Mr. Robot continues to break new ground and open up new opportunities for the network.”

kirblar

On Reddit, someone noticed that Whiterose opens up to Dom about her "sister" after Dom refers to her former fiance as "they". We know Dom's attracted to men, so it means that Dom's either bi, or had background information on Whiterose that led her to alter her language in that manner.

Top Bottom