• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Ross61

I'm going to need to watch it again. But it definitely seems like a direct setup for something big. Hope it pays of big time.

ZOONAMI

Pretty fucking boring. And it still isn't really confirmed Tyrell isn't dead. He may be another personality split if he is actually dead. But then it gets way to confusing to comprehend if Elliot is even a person because you don't know what the fuck is going on, as he doesn't know what the fuck is going on already with Mr robot, throw another split in the mix and it's just kind of too much.

Opto

Banned
I don't know, it's one of the things I like so much about the show, the unique cinematography.

while being pretty unqiue in terms of television, it also can be used to show characters aren't central powers. They're diminished being on the edge of the frame. I'd have to go through the series again to note when this framing choice is used to better understand it

ZOONAMI

That out of character teasing by Tyrell at the end is all I need to believe that he's now part of Elliot's imagination too.

The whole "what don't I see" had me looking to see if he was being reflected in any mirrors or some other visual tell.

Pretty fucking boring. And it still isn't really confirmed Tyrell isn't dead. He may be another personality split if he is actually dead. But then it gets way to confusing to comprehend if Elliot is even a person because you don't know what the fuck is going on, as he doesn't know what the fuck is going on already with Mr robot, throw another split in the mix and it's just kind of too much.

Yeah I'm with you, I think he's another personality split post mortem. Not that he has been Elliot through the whole series, just after he died.

There is no way this is a split. Tyrell already has worldwide recognition and recognition from characters within the universe, and has no relation to Elliot unlike Mr. Robot (his dad, his computer repair business, and Elliot's perception of confidence and strength all jumbled together into a dissociative state).

I'd also argue that Tyrell has motivation and reasons for wanting to hack ECorp to death, especially considering he felt slighted by them going to Scott instead of him. Not to mention, the whole "power" speech he gave to Elliot in S1E2, and earlier this season.

ZOONAMI

There is no way this is a split. Tyrell already has worldwide recognition and recognition from characters within the universe, and has no relation to Elliot unlike Mr. Robot (his dad, his computer repair business, and Elliot's perception of confidence and strength all jumbled together into a dissociative state).

He could be a new split after he died though, see what I'm saying? Not that Elliot has been Tyrell through the whole series.

krazen

I liked the episode, particularly the trippiness of it and the poltics. Only beef is that they didn't move the plot forward outside of Wellick. The decisive lack of reveal is particularly irksome since some big shit happened last episode and its basically the end of the season.

It would have felt more satisfying if they at least explained why Angela changed her mind. And I have a sneaking suspicion we won't know what happened to Darlene until next season

ezekial45

Banned
I hope it'll up like Breaking Bad's episode End Times. A lot of people were confused and weirded out by that one given how fragmented and out of sync it was, but ended up being an episode that made the S4 finale even better.

I'm gonna give the episode another shot, I'm sure there were a ton of clues in it that make the finale great. I did love the Back To The Future call backs (Night Train and Earth Angel book-ending the episode, for instance).

Goddammit this show had been doing so much better at pacing once we got past the 4th episode of the season. And then this episode was maybe the worst offender yet. Probably wouldn't have been nearly as bad if they had aired both parts at once like they originally scheduled because then we'd actually get the payoff that this entire episode was leading to.

ZOONAMI

I liked the episode, particularly the trippiness of it and the poltics. Only beef is that they didn't move the plot forward outside of Wellick. The decisive lack of reveal is particularly irksome since some big shit happened last episode and its basically the end of the season.

It would have felt more satisfying if they at least explained why Angela changed her mind. And I have a sneaking suspicion we won't know what happened to Darlene until next season

Dom mentioned doing an interview after resting, I imagine that's with Darlene.

while being pretty unqiue in terms of television, it also can be used to show characters aren't central powers. They're diminished being on the edge of the frame. I'd have to go through the series again to note when this framing choice is used to better understand it

Yeah, they seem to play with how far away characters are from the camera fairly often as well. The scene in season one where Scott Knowles basically calls out Tyrell in a conference room really displayed it. All the shots in the scene with Tyrell show him off center and really small in the frame. Pretty masterful camerawork in what would be a pretty average scene in a lot of shows.

He could be a new split after he died though, see what I'm saying? Not that Elliot has been Tyrell through the whole series.

Except why would Elliot even want to take on Tyrell as a split when he has no relation to him? At least his dad made sense because of his past life. The whole reason why Tyrell is significant is merely Elliot wanting to know what happened to him, and coming to terms with what happened. Tyrell being alive throws that to shit, and he will reveal what happened in the lost 3 days, as well as what stage 2 is. If Tyrell is a personality split, it makes it difficult to get the knowledge of what happened in the last 3 days.

In fact, I think this reveal makes Mr. Robot the bullshitter. Which is interesting considering that this happened in zero day:

jfudo32tfilx.png

ZOONAMI

I think the end game for dark army actually is to bring ecorp down (and effectively the US government AND Communist regime in china by extension) and they told her what the plan is, so now Angela is on board. I think the dark army are essentially Chinese revolutionaries, and all of this is their plan to bring down that regime through a series of calculated financial meltdowns.

ZOONAMI

Except why would Elliot even want to take on Tyrell as a split when he has no relation to him? At least his dad made sense because of his past life. The whole reason why Tyrell is significant is merely Elliot wanting to know what happened to him, and coming to terms with what happened. Tyrell being alive throws that to shit, and he will reveal what happened in the lost 3 days, as well as what stage 2 is. If Tyrell is a personality split, it makes it difficult to get the knowledge of what happened in the last 3 days.

In fact, I think this reveal makes Mr. Robot the bullshitter. Which is interesting considering that this happened in zero day:

jfudo32tfilx.png

I don't see why there needs to be a familial connection for there to be a split. Tyrell takes what he wants and is the extroverted family man that Elliott isn't. Makes sense for a split to me. He basically has disassociative personality disorder, I would think a new split could develop, regardless of whether Elliot wants that to happen or not. A central theme has been a lack of control and even a lack of coherence around what is happening to him or why.

If for example Elliot killed Tyrell and developed Tyrell as a split, he "was" Tyrell for the lost 3 days, and it will come back to him.

The preview with Elliot, Mr robot, and Tyrell all looking at the camera implies to me that they are now all the same. Tyrell (Elliot) developed stage 2, and that's why Darlene saw that the dark army was confused that the dark army was like "wtf, stage 2 is his plan, why is he asking us about it?" Elliot as Tyrell developed stage 2 with the dark army.

I don't now if it was mentioned as I haven't read the last few pages but the Back to the Future music references/motif wasn't just my imagination, right?

Arkeband

Banned
I don't see why there needs to be a familial connection for there to be a split. Tyrell takes what he wants and is the extroverted family man that Elliott isn't. Makes sense for a split to me. He basically has disassociative personality disorder, I would think a new split could develop, regardless of whether Elliot wants that to happen or not. A central theme has been a lack of control and even a lack of coherence around what is happening to him or why.

If for example Elliot killed Tyrell and developed Tyrell as a spli, he "was" Tyrell for the lost 3 days, and it will come back to him.

It also spices up Elliot's internal struggles by adding another angel on his shoulder pulling him in another direction.

Rami and Slater doing a tug of war is already starting to wear thin.

And this explains the "I feel like we're overheating", etc.

hydruxo

It's a little too convenient that Tyrell shows up right after Mr Robot dips out at the park and Elliot stops trying to follow him. All signs lead to this Tyrell not being real.

pargonta

the first alexa scene earlier in the season late at night was all that was needed for Dom's character.

Should've focused on another aspect of Dom if trying to expand her. have her call an old boyfriend or something

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
I'm just throwing this out there right now and I'm not trolling.

Angela & Elliot are some sort of human/robot who are part of Whitehorse's master plan/pet project and in this episode Whitehorse is testing Angela the human/robot for empathy and fear. All the questions asked were as to see if they were questioning her emotional capabilities. The power is in your fist line is literal she has the power to get through the door but does not know. Whitehorse does something and then she seems robotic when she goes to visit the lawyer and somehow the power outage happens as if she did it.

Also I theorize that Elliot somehow uploaded his father’s subconscious into his memory banks and he did the same with Tyrell whom he killed but under the guides that he would upload Tyrell's subconscious to which he doesn't know he has been doing. Which could explain his personality issues.

I know it may be scifiy but I think it may be true, even though I would say it would be a bad twist for the show.

ZOONAMI

Angela & Elliot are some sort of human/robot who are part of Whitehorse's master plan/pet project and in this episode Whitehorse is testing Angela the human/robot for empathy and fear. All the questions ask were as to see if they were questioning her emotional capabilities. The power is in your fist line is literal she has the power to get through the door but does not know. Whitehorse does something and then she seems robotic when she goes to visit the lawyer and somehow the power outage happens as if she did it.

Also note I theorize that Elliot somehow uploaded his father’s subconscious into his memory banks and he did the same with Tyrell whom he killed but under guides he would upload Tyrell's subconscious and he doesn't know he has been doing it. Which could explain his personality issues.

I know it may scifiy but it think it may be true, even though I would say it would be a bad twist for the show.

Nah m8.

Arkeband

Banned

Angela & Elliot are some sort of human/robot who are part of Whitehorse's master plan/pet project and in this episode Whitehorse is testing Angela the human/robot for empathy and fear. All the questions ask were as to see if they were questioning her emotional capabilities. The power is in your fist line is literal she has the power to get through the door but does not know. Whitehorse does something and then she seems robotic when she goes to visit the lawyer and somehow the power outage happens as if she did it.

Also note I theorize that Elliot somehow uploaded his father’s subconscious into his memory banks and he did the same with Tyrell whom he killed but under guides he would upload Tyrell's subconscious and he doesn't know he has been doing it. Which could explain his personality issues.

I know it may scifiy but it think it may be true, even though I would say it would be a bad twist for the show.

There's a guy on the subreddit known for posting even crazier shit than this, but still, this is too weird even for this show.

awp69

I feel like, especially the Angela scenes this week, I just watched an episode of Twin Peaks. WTF?

I actually didn't mind the pacing earlier in the season. But it just felt off having episodes getting clearer and clearer to have this odd, slow paced one piggy backing off of a big cliff hanger.

Hoping the second half of the finale is a big payoff and agree with others who think it would have been better to air them back to back like the season opener.

Pretty sure Darlene survived and Cisco probably bit the dust. They did only talk about "innocent" people getting killed though. So maybe they both are alive.

I will be pissed if they leave that hanging until next season.

SolidSnake305

Neo Member
There's a guy on the subreddit known for posting even crazier shit than this, but still, this is too weird even for this show.

I agree its too weird for this show but it was the whole
Dom talking to Alexa asking questions about emotions scene
its what promotes it for me. The show always using undertones and hidden things make me think that.

But I guess I can be overthinking it too, only Mr. Esmail really knows. I'm stoke for next week for sure.

Mobius 1

It's batshit insane but I'm with you generally. I've been getting that vibe from Angela for a while now. And there are other bits here and there to at least give this some credence.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

This would be the stupidest and dumbest thing ever. Would retroactively make the whole series complete shit.

edit:
And the Whiterose stuff is the worst thing about the show. The worst.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Great episode. Things are falling into place. Love the denial this show teases its viewers with. Easily one of the few shows that works best when not being binged upon. Too many shows nowadays are catering to that audience. Having the ability of patience and anticipation is valuable, but becoming a lost art in the times of Netflix and streaming. This show defies that.

Got a huge Deus Ex vibe from this episode, feels like they are creating an AI although the "what is real" stuff is very Matrix-y.

I have no idea whats going on. The commodore 64 stuff was far too indulgent and ludicrous this far into the season.

yeah splitting up the finale into two episodes was maybe not a great idea, this episode was way too slow. Finale is gonna have to be mind blowing amazing to redeem this season I think :(

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Great episode. Things are falling into place. Love the denial this show teases its viewers with. Easily one of the few shows that works best when not being binged upon. Too many shows nowadays are catering to that audience. Having the ability of patience and anticipation is valuable, but becoming a lost art in the times of Netflix and streaming. This show defies that.

It was barely a step above the Matrix Reloaded and the Colonel Sanders character.

CRS

I wonder if Esmail read that Mr. Robot/Back to the Future theory about the show and wanted to fuck with those specific people. Either way, great music choices.

Mind awake. Body asleep.

chefbags

Oh man, i have no idea where this finale is going but the avclub review mentioned something of interest.

The finale will either be the biggest shark jump ever or it'll be a brilliant new territory to be shown. I fucking hope it's the latter.

I do think esmail has it all planned out so I have no qualms in what his endgame would be. I just hope it makes sense and is grounded enough to be real for the characters of this show.

Zoe

I wonder if Esmail read that Mr. Robot/Back to the Future theory about the show and wanted to fuck with those specific people. Either way, great music choices.

Mind awake. Body asleep.
Were there BttF theories before today?

I'm up for anything.

Except aliens.

Please, no aliens.

joesmokey

Pretty unfortunate about the episode split tonight.

This season has been all over the place for me. At this point I'm just hoping the payoff will be worth it. Some of the theories out there now are totally crazy.

Top Bottom