• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

Thought it was a boring-ass episode and I've enjoyed most of season 2 immensely. The only thing remotely interesting that happened was the capture of Angela and the Commodore 64 testing sequence. I will admit the music and atmosphere in that sequence was pretty great but it didn't save the episode from being tedious and boring IMO. Tyrell showed up at the end but because of this show's tendency to have dream sequences that are not in reality it held no impact since it could have just been in Elliot's imagination and mean nothing. I don't know - I think it was a mistake to split the finale in to two. This was all just slow-moving set up at a glacier's pace without any pay-off.

Hopefully next week's episode will be better. As for the robot theory I think that's meandering too far in to hard science fiction territory for this show. Can't see them going there.

Zomba13

What if Elliot is a Terminator sent from the future but bumped his head and instead of killing someone he thought he had to just destroy E Corp (which built him in 2556 btw) but what happens is he actually sends E Corp on the path to mess with robotics and Terminators and his dad was actually a time traveller who had to go back to his fathers time in high school to make sure he was born in the first place? And Phase 2 is when the Dark Army reveal their prototype version of time travel and go back to when Elliot and Tyrell were at the f society place and they take them which is why Elliot doesn't remember what happened for those three days! TIME TRAVEL SICKNESS!

VARIA

As much as I love this show, I REALLY hope they knock off the whole "what is real" and "who is real" type of reveals. The first fight club-esque reveal with Elliot being Mr. Robot, I was ok with. The second where we realize he was actually in jail, I was fine with as well especially when he tells the audience he was going to be honest from that point onwards. But if they keep setting up these "gotcha!" moments and twists it's going to start treading into some bullshit M.Night territory, but possibly even worse since we have an unreliable narrator. I'll reserve judgment 'til the end of this season.

Cth

I was stuck in a car dealership and watched the episode on my phone with headphones..

I can't get over how amazing well the sound design and music in the show is. There's a lot of subtle sounds to heighten the uneasiness and tension. Even the mantra is repeated very quietly throughout the episode at times.

Simple foley like a loud airplane flying overhead while in Dom's apartment.. there's no real reason for it's inclusion but it adds so much atmosphere to the show.

Also, as an aside, any significance to the red phone used in the interrogation scene and the on Mr Robot/Elliot make their contact on? I'm presuming it's short hand for Dark Army.

Bonus pic:
NUP_172825_0277-EMBED.jpg

Red imagery, Dark Army, China = Red

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
What is Elliot going to do next, crash bitcoin and Ecoin thus fucking everyone worldwide instead of just America? Not a terrible endgame, but next couple of episodes need to move that pace a little better then this episode that is for sure.
Do you mean the finale and the next episodes of the next season?

Sam E-mails is becoming the new Nic Pizzolatto very quickly for me.
Yes! If this series took itself a bit less serious (or had Vince Vaughn) I would totally agree.

gspec

That scene with the little girl was pretentious as hell. Also, no way does she load up a floppy on the Commodore without getting some kind of error.

This. Commodore 64s floppy disc drive misalignment is well known. It drove me insane trying to use every trick in the book to get it read the disc.

Arkeband

Banned
My problem with it even after 5/9 or killing him is that he doesn't know Tyrell well enough to develop another full blown personality based on him. The dichotomy between him and Mr. Robot is enough for me.

On the other hand, the personality of his father is completely different than Mr. Robot's.

His dad has been shown to be a really laid back and chill guy in flashbacks, while Mr. Robot is often outright manic.

Jacobi

Banned
Stage 2 is real, so the end should be real as well.

Tyrell having always been Elliott doesn't make the slightest sense, then we can scrap all of the episodes.

Let's just see. But I think the BTTF shit doesn't make any sense either and it was mentioned that Darlene never said she was his sister. Why did she freak out when he was trying to kiss her then?

2 questions I have:
1. Why is the Washington plant so important to Whiterose?
2. What was the stuff with the key about?

I don't get how it was pretentious.
It wasn't. The scene was given the exact importance that it needed to have in terms of White Rose confronting Angela. The fact that it veered into Lynchian visuals/feel/pace is likely what's off-putting for some folks. Being a Lynch fan - I dug it and mentioned the Twin Peaks allegory to my wife as we were watching it.

The problem for me was the lack of visibility into the "payoff" in terms of Angela switching gears and telling the lawyer to leave her alone. I know the show loves to obfuscate details like that for a later reveal but given the relative importance of what just happened - having no explanation behind said payoff really lessened its effectiveness for me.

Let's just see. But I think the BTTF shit doesn't make any sense either and it was mentioned that Darlene never said she was his sister. Why did she freak out when he was trying to kiss her then?
Maybe the BTTF references are nothing more than an allegory for time. Or more specifically a "turning back the clock" moment for Tyrell's return and an explanation of what really happened in the 3 days after 5/9? Being that the episode was chopped up, we may not see its meaning until next week.

I liken it similar to the use of Phil Collins' "Take Me Home" earlier in the season during the money burning scene. It's a song about a mental patience locked in an institution juxtaposed with a corporation both literally and figuratively "having money to burn".

Boem

Haven't read this thread but I just wanted to say I loved all the Back to the Future music in this (Davy Crockett, which was also in a big moment in BttF1, and Earth Angel at the end).

Also loved the Maniac Mansion easter egg.

SigSig

Weird episode. Can't really judge it, until I've seen what it leads up to.

1. Why is the Washington plant so important to Whiterose?

The answer to this will either make or break season 2 (or even the whole series) for me. Up until now everything that happened, happened because of Washington Township plant.
There better be a damn good resolution to this. Anything not big enough and the finale will be wack, anything too far out there and it will be wack as well. I tried the whole day to come up with something, but I'm drawing blanks.

Weird episode. Can't really judge it, until I've seen what it leads up to.

The answer to this will either make or break season 2 (or even the whole series) for me. Up until now everything that happened, happened because of Washington Township plant.
There better be a damn good resolution to this. Anything not big enough and the finale will be wack, anything too far out there and it will be wack as well. I tried the whole day to come up with something, but I'm drawing blanks.

tentacle monsters always solve everything

El Topo

If we use a scale where 1 is "It's fucking nothing" and 10 is "Experiment to find a way to defeat evil lizard people from outer space that are waging war on the noble space ghosts", where do "Secret project to create superhumans and/or robots" and "Parallel World travelling" fall into? Because I honestly wouldn't mind a slightly insane sci-fi scenario.

Pretty funny that both seasons' penultimate episodes have ended on a musical cue with Elliot and Tyrell, and both times the song made me shout "WHAT" at my tv.

It wasn't. The scene was given the exact importance that it needed to have in terms of White Rose confronting Angela. The fact that it veered into Lynchian visuals/feel/pace is likely what's off-putting for some folks. Being a Lynch fan - I dug it and mentioned the Twin Peaks allegory to my wife as we were watching it.

The problem for me was the lack of visibility into the "payoff" in terms of Angela switching gears and telling the lawyer to leave her alone. I know the show loves to obfuscate details like that for a later reveal but given the relative importance of what just happened - having no explanation behind said payoff really lessened its effectiveness for me.

Agreed. I only recently got into Lynch, and I loved these kind of scenes in Twin Peaks.

As for the payoff, I think splitting the finale up into two episodes might be somewhat responsible for that. Depends on what happens in part 2, I guess.

Maybe the BTTF references are nothing more than an allegory for time. Or more specifically a "turning back the clock" moment for Tyrell's return and an explanation of what really happened in the 3 days after 5/9? Being that the episode was chopped up, we may not see its meaning until next week.

I liken it similar to the use of Phil Collins' "Take Me Home" earlier in the season during the money burning scene. It's a song about a mental patience locked in an institution juxtaposed with a corporation both literally and figuratively "having money to burn".
Yeah, this is becoming a bigger and bigger issue. I mean I do really enjoy the way the show has teased out stuff like the Ecoin strategy and Whiterose's greater schemes. There's been a great sense of mounting paranoia this season and it's because of that narrative style. But then the show also does these big middle finger cliffhangers that add very little to the show.

Like that episode that ended with Darlene hearing a knock at the door. Was there really any dramatic value in not showing us who was at the door? Showing Cisco carrying a bloodied fsociety member would have been a neat moment and we still would have been just as interested in seeing where things go from there. Instead we just got "Hey, someone's knocking. See you next week I guess!"

A good cliffhanger shows the audience something cool, or sets up an interesting scenario, and then leaves the audience to wonder what the consequences of it will be. Too many moments in the past few episodes have shown us nothing and then promised that you'll see what the cool thing is... eventually. And the more they do that the more I'm convinced the show doesn't actually have anything cool to show me and they're just trying to manufacture tension.

jett

D-Member
This show is just excessively, frustratingly cryptic. Lost ain't got shit on Mr Robot.

And for the second time this season they leave a cliffhanger literally hanging during the next episode.

edit: I'm kinda glad some people have finally reached their breaking point with this episode. :p

bitbydeath

So this BttF stuff is getting to me.
What did Whiterose mean when he said Angela should have died 90 days ago?

That's very specific and with all the time fetishes he has I'm starting to think something is up.

Edit: Also not sure what could have so easily convinced Angela to throw everything away for them which gives me a Matrix vibe.

Red (China) pill you get to live in Wonderland.

Zoe

That's very specific and with all the time fetishes he has I'm starting to think something is up.
90 days would have been 5/10. So she (and Ollie?) were probably going be the fall guys for the hack.

Edit: Also not sure what could have so easily convinced Angela to throw everything away for them which gives me a Matrix vibe.

Red (China) pill you get to live in Wonderland.

I believe someone did the math and 90 days ago would be the day after the 5/9 hack.

I don't see why there needs to be a familial connection for there to be a split. Tyrell takes what he wants and is the extroverted family man that Elliott isn't. Makes sense for a split to me. He basically has disassociative personality disorder, I would think a new split could develop, regardless of whether Elliot wants that to happen or not. A central theme has been a lack of control and even a lack of coherence around what is happening to him or why.

If for example Elliot killed Tyrell and developed Tyrell as a split, he "was" Tyrell for the lost 3 days, and it will come back to him.

The preview with Elliot, Mr robot, and Tyrell all looking at the camera implies to me that they are now all the same. Tyrell (Elliot) developed stage 2, and that's why Darlene saw that the dark army was confused that the dark army was like "wtf, stage 2 is his plan, why is he asking us about it?" Elliot as Tyrell developed stage 2 with the dark army.

I wasn't saying that the connection needed to be only be familial, just that it's related to Elliot in a way. Mr. Robot relates to him personally, whereas Elliot doesn't really have a kind of connection to Tyrell beyond scheming/casually interacting with him (though it's worth mentioning that scheming happened when Mr. Robot intervened), and I highly doubt scheming is enough to have Elliot's mind dissociate and assume Tyrell as the Phase 2 portion, especially when it appears that Mr. Robot was responsible was setting up the plan in the first place.

Moreover, the more I think about it, the more I realize that being a third personality doesn't make sense. (PROMO SPOILER - be warned)
Mr. Robot and Tyrell are side-by-side in the promo (though they don't seem to communicate with each other), which means the overheating/shutdown may not even be relevant to a third split
. Also, how do you explain that Joanna got the gifts, and how these gifts were supposed to represent Tyrell making it up for doing what's necessary? If Tyrell is supposed to be Elliot's representation of Phase 2, then Elliot would not have any kind of knowledge of Tyrell's family (just like he had no knowledge of who Mr. Robot was until he got the blank cd). Lastly, if Tyrell was trying to overpower Mr. Robot as the dominant, I highly doubt Mr. Robot would care about solving the puzzles and contribute to his own death. Robot would do everything in his power to preserve himself and his influence on Elliot.

Unrelated:
After watching the promo, I have a sneaking suspicion that Phase 2 is a Fight Club callback, particularly to Project Mayhem. It seems like Tyrell and Mr. Robot are going to go balls to the wall and destroy ECorp's main building(s), thus killing off Price, and the rest of the executives. Which would make sense if we assume WTF is a weapons facility, the Dark Army and Whiterose aren't going to allow ECorp to get their hands on $2tril to save its business and then take a colossal dump on the Bitcoin industry.

Maddocks

Do you mean the finale and the next episodes of the next season?

next episode is a double episode I think because suits just had its midseason finale. So I consider next episode 2 because it's 2 hours. If they drag on like this episode, then yikes, going to be a drag to watch.

next episode is a double episode I think because suits just had its midseason finale. So I consider next episode 2 because it's 2 hours. If they drag on like this episode, then yikes, going to be a drag to watch.

The final episode next week is not 2 episodes. Next week's episode is part 2.

Please don't ruin this perfect show with unneeded sci-fi garbage.

I agree. If it goes to AI/transhumanism shit, I'd consider it jumping the shark. Which is funny considering people already thought that the surreal scene with Angela is jumping the shark...

Maddocks

The final episode next week is not 2 episodes. Next week's episode is part 2.

good to know, but that episode since its the final one, should be paced way better this this episode, so I have hope then. All they have to do now to lose me is say elliot is a machine and the show is a simulation.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
good to know, but that episode since its the final one, should be paced way better this this episode, so I have hope then. All they have to do now to lose me is say elliot is a machine and the show is a simulation.

Its all a war simulation conducted by the Intra-brain Masters of the Sombrero Galaxy in their plan to take over the Earth so that they can bring back Ecto Cooler.

neshcom

Banned
For a minute, I was thinking Dom wasn't real or an imagined person Elliot was using to personify the FBI's efforts, but then I remembered Angela on the phone with Darlene talking to Dom. Plus, Elliot wouldn't really know anything about the politics going on in China...

With the ECoin move, is the implication that ECorp is a backer of 5/9 to take over the dollar?

With all the BttF talk, I'm all the more convinced that the overt dates showing up all season have to be tied to something. Probably not time travel though.

I thought the questionnaire part was okay, but I'm always captivated when Whiterose is on screen. Can anyone explain the key in the fist line?

For a minute, I was thinking Dom wasn't real or an imagined person Elliot was using to personify the FBI's efforts, but then I remembered Angela on the phone with Darlene talking to Dom. Plus, Elliot wouldn't really know anything about the politics going on in China...

With the ECoin move, is the implication that ECorp is a backer of 5/9 to take over the dollar?

With all the BttF talk, I'm all the more convinced that the overt dates showing up all season have to be tied to something. Probably not time travel though.

I thought the questionnaire part was okay, but I'm always captivated when Whiterose is on screen. Can anyone explain the key in the fist line?

To answer the bolded, I think the point the writers were trying to make is how despite fsociety's noble interests, it wouldn't have stopped big business from trying to profit off of a shitty situation. Like Price said, 5/9 just accelerated the move to cryptocurrency. Additionally, it also goes to show how naive fsociety were in assuming that this encrypting ECorp's data and deleting the key was going to kill the conglomerate.

Zoe

To answer the bolded, I think the point the writers were trying to make is how despite fsociety's noble interests, it wouldn't have stopped big business from trying to profit off of a shitty situation. Like Price said, 5/9 just accelerated the move to cryptocurrency. Additionally, it also goes to show how naive fsociety were in assuming that this was going to kill ECorp.

Didn't Price also say as much during the illuminati teaser last season?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I read earlier in this thread with someones theory
Artificial intelligence being Whiterose's 'program'.
. I could totally buy that. Especially with the past episode Whiterose wanting Angela to 'believe'. I have a feeling the finale is probably going to be wild and out there and quite possibly 'jumping the shark'.

This is one of the only shows in quite a while that I actually enjoy watching week by week. There hasn't been a show since LOST that I like being able to take a break and have a few days to digest what I just watched. Bitter sweet that the season ends next Wednesday.

KorrZ

This episode really felt like a first half, and that's not exactly to the shows benefit.

Just really odd pacing decisions through the majority of this season. I hope Sam gets a grip on that for next season. First season was nearly perfect and while the last few episodes have been stronger barring this one, overall the season definitely doesn't live up to the first.

Top Bottom