• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MultiVersus |OT| It's Alive!

e0n

MultiVersus

MultiVersus | Official Thread
Release Date: May 28, 2024 (consoles - 4 AM PT, PC - 10 AM PT)
Platform: Windows 10/11 (Steam, Epic Games), Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 4/5
Genre: Platform Fighter
Mode: Single-player (Local/Custom/PvE Rifts), Multiplayer (1v1/2v2/Ranked)
Developer: Player First Games
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games
Price: Free-to-Play
Previous Official Thread

Game Overview

MultiVersus, the platform fighter featuring crossover characters from various Warner Bros. properties, is set to return after its open beta unexpectedly shuttered on June 25, 2023. Although it may not reach its 150k all-time player count again, WB's revitalized live service title remains free-to-play, having full cross-platform progression, with optional microtransactions. Player First Games also claims the game has been rebuilt with a smoother online experience, rewarding single-player mode, and added characters (Banana Guard from Adventure Time, the Joker, Jason Voorhees, and eventually The Matrix's Agent Smith). Time will tell if there's enough sustained interest, but a launch giveaway, streaming event, and a major focus on seasonal content show signs that PFG is committed to MultiVersus for a very long engagement.

New Features:
- Play through a seasonal PvE mode called "Rifts" which has you complete a series of unique challenges and mini-games
- Upgraded to Unreal Engine 5 with improved rollback netcode
- All characters gain a dash attack and parry mechanic
- Competitive stage variants, as well as updated character kits
- Modified currency and perks system
Screenshots / Trailers

rifts.png
fg.jpg
bp.png
sm.jpg

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the currency system?
There are four types of in-game currency:
Fighter - used to unlock characters
Perk - used to unlock perks
Prestige - used to unlock the rarest cosmetics
Gleamium - used for the Battle Pass, cosmetics, and other items
curr.jpg

I'm a returning Open Beta player. What happens to my stuff?
All unused Gleamium, skins, and other tokens can be used as before. Gold has been removed and the remaining amount will be converted to exclusive cosmetics. Character levels and perks have been reset due to these changes. In addition, returning players will receive a special edition Snow Suit Finn character variant, Rising Stars ringout, Banana Guard announcer pack, and a free Battle Pass.

What is the Season 1 Battle Pass?
The Season 1 Battle Pass is an eight-week event that includes Jason Voorhees as the first reward. After the season ends, the Battle Pass fighter becomes available to unlock by character tokens or in-game currency. To get the premium pass, it requires a minimum of 950 Gleamium which can also give you enough Gleamium for the next Battle Pass once completed. If it's priced the same, 1000 Gleamium can be directly purchased for $9.99 or eventually earned through in-game events. All returning players from the Open Beta will unlock the Season 1 Battle Pass for free if logged in by June 11.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I wasnt to keen on it to begin with but after the bullshit with Velma and LeBron I have 0 interest in giving it a second chance.

Based on one of the screens in the OP? It looks like certain characters are going to be locked behind the premium battle pass. If that’s the only way to unlock some characters, I’m all the way TF out. Shitty practice in ftp games that needs to die.

Edit - Ah, okay I see that you can unlock the battle pass character once the season ends with in game currency.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Based on one of the screens in the OP? It looks like certain characters are going to be locked behind the premium battle pass. If that’s the only way to unlock some characters, I’m all the way TF out. Shitty practice in ftp games that needs to die.
There will be 1 character locked behind a BP every season but you can buy it after the season is over with ingame currency

I'll wait for someone like rooflemonger's analysis on it. I remember him playing the first release extensively so I'm confident he'll provide some good feedback. Idk why but Multiversus never clicked with me, maybe this time it does.

e0n

I think this game needs a lot more updates. It looks and feels like an amateur project compared to Flash Party, and that was a mobile game. The slow speed and close camera was probably meant to take advantage of the parry system, but it doesn't work that well when it's still a platformer.

Luipadre

Yeah this is much worse than the beta. UI is worse, everything feels clunky and sluggish and the gameplay is slow as hell, feels like you playing underwater... Way to fuck up the relaunch and they had their chance, because people showed up.

Last edited:
They give you the option to play as Agent Smith early (and unlock some cool Matrix-code skins for Smith and other characters) but you literally have to play through hours of bot battling content 30 times. I know you can do it on easy mode, but what a chore and not something I want to waste time on if they might just abandon the game again.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They give you the option to play as Agent Smith early (and unlock some cool Matrix-code skins for Smith and other characters) but you literally have to play through hours of bot battling content 30 times. I know you can do it on easy mode, but what a chore and not something I want to waste time on if they might just abandon the game again.
It’s over. You can look at reactions here and the 0 hype online.

There needs to be a documentary here on how they royally fucked up something that had a great shot at success.

rm082e

Played some of this with my son last night. He used Jason to just destroy me over and over again. I used 5 different characters against him, but nothing worked. I felt helpless.

This doesn't feel nearly as good as the beta from last year. It also feels like it looks...worse? Like they somehow removed detail and made it "softer" somehow? I can't put my finger on it exactly. Something about it just doesn't feel impactful.

Top Bottom