• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushroom learns to crawl after being given robot body

Hookshot

Gold Member
Did it? Or was it trying to do something else with those signals but the basic robot could only use them to move as that's all it's built to do?

If the mushroom suddenly gained a sense of self and knew it's position in the world and how to move to maybe a better light source or something it would be incredible but I read that as it doing nothing but acting as a battery

Last edited:

Bojji

ophiocordyceps3-xl-e1543511156792.jpg

+

VGQn3eB.jpeg

=

LastofUs1400.jpg

my first thought was the very first panel of the Ghost In The Shell manga. wonder what this could do for cybernetic advancement.

peU9l4D.jpeg

and then I remember the MAX/Netflix sci-fi series, Scavengers Reign.
the mushroom fused/integrated with the CPU of a robot and it kinda evolved into a new life form that can even reproduce asexualy.

E2Y9PwY.jpeg

in any case, very interested development.

BlackTron

Did it? Or was it trying to do something else with those signals but the basic robot could only use them to move as that's all it's built to do?

If the mushroom suddenly gained a sense of self and knew it's position in the world and how to move to maybe a better light source or something it would be incredible but I read that as it doing nothing but acting as a battery

Not quite just a battery but still hyperbole. Basically they interfaced the fungus so that when it detects light, the robot reacts. It's "in control" of the robot, the same way that the light sensor that came with my old Lego Mindstorms set "controlled" your robot...if you programmed it to react to those light readings in advance. The fungus has no control over how its perception of light controls the robot.

I read this as saying "fungus bio-interfaced as fancy sensor".

Hookshot

Gold Member
Not quite just a battery but still hyperbole. Basically they interfaced the fungus so that when it detects light, the robot reacts. It's "in control" of the robot, the same way that the light sensor that came with my old Lego Mindstorms set "controlled" your robot...if you programmed it to react to those light readings in advance. The fungus has no control over how its perception of light controls the robot.

I read this as saying "fungus bio-interfaced as fancy sensor".
Obviously something was up. If Fungi could bypass evolution and understand the concept of movement just from being plugged into something it would have been groundbreaking and you wouldn't stop at robot legs, but cameras and all sorts of gizmos to see what happened.

poodaddy

A bio hybrid robot. Fascinating. Really makes you wonder if we're not researching mycology enough, as they have startingly similar DNA to humans. The key to curing, or at least better controlling, cancer or perhaps slowing down aging could potentially be found in the study of mycology.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
A bio hybrid robot. Fascinating. Really makes you wonder if we're not researching mycology enough, as they have startingly similar DNA to humans.

Not so much similar, but fungi are closer to humans than they are plans. There is still around a 50% difference, but that's still remarkable when you consider how different they are to humans and other animals.

The key to curing, or at least better controlling, cancer or perhaps slowing down aging could potentially be found in the study of mycology.

We are. Mycology is going through a surge of interest.

If you're interested in mycology, I suggest a book called Entangled Life by British biologist Merlin Sheldrake.

If you're interested biological immortally, there is a fantastic book called Jellyfish Age Backwards by molecular biologist Nicklas Brendborg.

Top Bottom