• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Music of my generation (91-97) >>>>>> All

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it can officially be said...if your between the ages of 30-35ish your pre-teen and teen years were perhaps the best years in music 10 years before and 10 years after. I really think music of the 80's, while some good, cant compare to the early/mid 90's...and music of today..NO WAY can it compare..

I dont think so many groundbreaking albums have been released in such small time frame (5-6 years)
I look at music during those years of a persons life (12-18) as the music that molds that persons taste in music so to say...and fellow 30ish people, I think we experienced the greatest point in music in quite sometime.

Lets take a look at the monumetal shit that dropped between 1991-1997 and has yet to be rivaled. Now Im not gonna list everything, but while I might list alot since the era of music was jam packed feel free to add things you saw as monumental.
For me, 1991/92..I was in 7-8th grade, started buying my own music, listening to the radio more, looking at music for fashion sense, as most young people do allowing the music to mold my style and such..
To me tho, you can see the decline in groundbreaking releases as the decade drew to a close..

1991 the year that started this influx of monumental music...Some of the greatest albums of all time, released in a single year!......

De La Soul Is Dead -De La Soul
Metallica ("The Black Album") -Metallica
Cypress Hill -Cypress Hill
Ten -Pearl Jam
Naughty by Nature -Naughty by Nature
Use Your Illusion I -Guns N' Roses
Use Your Illusion II -Guns N' Roses
Nevermind -Nirvana
Blood Sugar Sex Magik -Red Hot Chili Peppers
The Low End Theory -A Tribe Called Quest
2Pacalypse Now -2Pac
Achtung Baby -U2

1992-

Vulgar Display of Power -Pantera
Opiate -Tool
Dead Serious -Das EFX
Check Your Head -Beastie Boys
House of Pain -House of Pain
What's the 411? -Mary J. Blige
Broken -Nine Inch Nails
Whut? Thee Album -Redman
Dirt -Alice in Chains
Core -Stone Temple Pilots
Automatic for the People -R.E.M.
Rage Against the Machine -Rage Against the Machine
The Predator -Ice Cube

The Chronic -Dr. Dre
40oz. to Freedom -Sublime

1993-

Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. -2Pac
Pablo Honey -Radiohead
Bacdafucup -Onyx
Undertow -Tool
Black Sunday -Cypress Hill
Voice of Jamaica -Buju Banton
In Utero -Nirvana
Enta da Stage -Black Moon

Midnight Marauders -A Tribe Called Quest
Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) -Wu-Tang Clan
Doggystyle -Snoop Doggy Dogg
Diary of a Mad Band -Jodeci

Damn, amazing list! lets see 1994 now...

Jar of Flies -Alice in Chains
Dookie -Green Day
Mellow Gold -Beck
Hard to Earn -Gang Starr
The Downward Spiral -Nine Inch Nails
Superunknown -Soundgarden
Live Through This -Hole
Illmatic -Nas
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik -OutKast
Weezer ("Blue Album") -Weezer
Ill Communication -Beastie Boys
The Sun Rises in the East -Jeru the Damaja
Age Ain't Nothing but a Number -Aaliyah
Creepin on ah Come Up Bone -Thugs-n-Harmony
Music for the Jilted Generation -The Prodigy
II -Boyz II Men
Definitely Maybe -Oasis
Usher -Usher
Ready to Die -The Notorious B.I.G.
Under the Table and Dreaming -Dave Matthews Band
Korn -Korn
Dummy -Portishead
MTV Unplugged in New York -Nirvana
Tical -Method Man
Sixteen Stone -Bush

1995- From here, in my opinion, less monumental music was released..I call this the decline..

Frogstomp -Silverchair
Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version -Ol' Dirty Bastard
The Infamous -Mobb Deep
Jagged Little Pill -Alanis Morissette
Foo Fighters -Foo Fighters
'Til Shiloh -Buju Banton
E 1999 Eternal -Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
311 -311
Only Built 4 Cuban Linx... -Raekwon
Garbage -Garbage
...And Out Come the Wolves -Rancid
Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness -The Smashing Pumpkins
Liquid Swords -GZA

1996- The decline is in full force! Puff Daddy is slowly destroying rap, Boy Bands are EVERYWERE, and shows that cater to CRAP music spring up like Total Request Live.

Sublime -Sublime
All Eyez on Me -Tupac Shakur
Evil Empire -Rage Against the Machine
Odelay -Beck
Reasonable Doubt -Jay-Z
It Was Written -Nas
ATLiens -OutKast
Pinkerton -Weezer
Ænima -Tool
Antichrist Superstar -Marilyn Manson
Life Is Peachy -Korn
Ironman -Ghostface Killah
Pre-Millennium Tension -Tricky

1997- The end of lots of good music being released and in my eyes the biggest injection of pop into rock and rap.

Blur -Blur
Homework -Daft Punk
Life After Death -The Notorious B.I.G.
Dig Your Own Hole The -Chemical Brothers
Wu-Tang Forever -Wu-Tang Clan
OK Computer -Radiohead
Three Dollar Bill, Yall$ -Limp Bizkit (laugh, but it was big lol)
No Way Out -Puff Daddy and the Bad Boy Family (hated the album, but everyone had it)
S.C.I.E.N.C.E. -Incubus
Around the Fur -Deftones
The Slim Shady EP -Eminem

Eventually 1998 came along...and looking at the list...I hardly see anything good besides maybe SOAD debut release. Maybe the rise of the internet at the time? The downfall of MTV as it almost entirely stopped playing music and did nothing but jam Pop-rock, Pop-Rap and of course Boy Bands down are throat.
I wish I had known then I was living through a golden age in music. Looking back on it now tho Im glad I was alive and growing from childhood into being an adult during this time frame.

Kusagari said:
You didn't have Rebecca Black and Friday though.

That thread kinda made me make this one.

Listening to that crap as well as all the other turds called music we've suffered through these last 10 years made me think about how when I was a teen our music, in my eyes, was monumental.

Jeff-DSA

It was a time when you could turn on the radio and not have to frantically search between stations for something worth listening to.

KiKaL

Kano On The Phone said:
There isn't a person alive who doesn't feel like the music made when they were at their most impressionable is the most important ever made.

Yep pretty much

WJD

Add Jeff Buckley - Grace
and
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape

and you'd be very very right.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
OP knows.

late 80's + most of the 90's is where it's at.

Bento

Jeff-DSA said:
It was a time when you could turn on the radio and not have to frantically search between stations for something worth listening to.
Considering that we today have excellent streaming services like Spotify that render Radio obsolete when it comes to music makes me feel that those days seem awfully unappealing :p Why have someone else serve you music when you can go and dig on your own?

Love the 90's though so I'm not being a hater, I simply think there's has never been a better time to be a music enthusiast then now :eek:)

TheExodu5

Banned
Popular music from any era save for some Classic Rock is shit. That includes the 90s, which is to me, the era that ruined the quality of music forever. Dynamic range compression up the wazoo is the name of the game.

Of course, if you think popular music even defines an entire era of music, you're a fool. There have been tons of good and talented musicians in any era.

TheExodu5

Banned
Bento said:
Considering that we today have excellent streaming services like Spotify that render Radio obsolete when it comes to music makes me feel that those days seem awfully unappealing :p Why have someone else serve you music when you can go and dig on your own?

Love the 90's though so I'm not being a hater, I simply think there's has never been a better time to be a music enthusiast then now :eek:)
Agreed. Now we can use the Internet to find artists worth listening to and not listen to the shit that plagues 99% of radio stations.

:Motorbass said:
Seems like you haven't heard Europe 90ies Music.

Being between the ages of 12-18 during that time period as well as the fact that the internet was a very rare thing to find besides in some schools and a few radom friends whos parents had money then yeah I agree, had almost no access to Euro music.

If you look at my list of music in that time period tho
Not only did some of the greatest artist ever release debut albums but quite a few good artist havent been able to capture that amazing quality there music had at that time.

Kano On The Phone said:
There isn't a person alive who doesn't feel like the music made when they were at their most impressionable is the most important ever made.
true story. that said, I agree with the OP somewhat, but though the 80s were great for music.

Janet Jackson - Rhythm Nation, Control
Michael Jackson - Thriller, Bad
Luther Vandross - Never Too Much, Get It Right, The Best of Love
Marvin Gaye - Midnight Love
Anita Baker - Rapture
G&R - Appetite for Destruction
Prince - Purple Rain, 1999, Dirty Mind
Springstien - Tunnel of Love, Born in the USA
REM - Document, Murmur
Stones - Tattoo You
Tina Turner - Private Dancer
U2 - War
AC/DC - Back in Black
Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation...
Black Uru - Red
NWA stuff...

Idunno man. IMO, any decade with Gaye, Jackson, U2, AC/DC and Prince at their very best...that's a hard decade to beat.

EliCash

Grunge was cool but the late 60's and early 70s was by far the best period for music, and no other decade comes close.

I was going to list some albums here but there's far too many, naming a few is unfair to the others. Unbelievable period, we'll never get music of this quality in one period again.

A good list though OP, it was a good period. Better than this absolute fucking joke of a decade anyway.

Mudkips

Banned
90s?
The only thing more absurd than that is saying the 2000s.

I understand you weren't around then, but the 60s, 70s, and 80s represent a musical renaissance that rivals the actual fucking renaissance and the works of the old masters.

Kano On The Phone said:

Wrong. I am one such person.

Davidion

Gauging musical quality by decade is dumb; there are tons of quality music from all recent decades.

On the other hand, he DOES name check Jeru the Damaja so...tough call.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
1989 to mid 90's were really good for music. Some things I'd add:

Deee-Lite - World Clique
The Madchester scene in the UK - Stone Roses, The Charlatans, Happy Mondays etc.
The Orb - U.F.Orb

hermit7 said:
You missed the best album of the 1990s in your list.

That honor goes to Siamese Dream - Smashing Pumpkins 1993

DOH! How did I miss that!
Well I made sure to add Melancholy since it really made them massive stars.

Woffls

90's sucked for just about everything. Especially rock and metal. Well, actually, every decade is a good decade for metal ;) I was born in 87 so I just about missed out on the 90's and had to endure the 00's instead. God, it was so bad I listened almost exclusively to pre 90's music.

Pkm said:
Being between the ages of 12-18 during that time period as well as the fact that the internet was a very rare thing to find besides in some schools and a few radom friends whos parents had money then yeah I agree, had almost no access to Euro music.

If you look at my list of music in that time period tho
Not only did some of the greatest artist ever release debut albums but quite a few good artist havent been able to capture that amazing quality there music had at that time.
Yeah, I wanted to hint at stuff like "Aqua-Barbie Girl" and more Eurotrance "hits" that dominated the charts here. Buuut I regularly go to 90ies Parties and they are very fun nevertheless. :]

flyover

The 1930s had...
  • "Serenade to Music" (Ralph Vaughan Williams)
  • "Romeo and Juliet" (Sergei Prokofiev)
  • "Adagio for Strings" (Samuel Barber)
  • "Symphony No. 5" (Dmitri Shostakovich)
Those four pieces alone make for a pretty good decade. Plus, Cole Porter was still on top of his game, and Duke Ellington had a string of great hits.

But the 1980s had Journey's "Separate Ways (Worlds Apart)." So, I'm going to go with that decade.

EliCash

On the Pearl Jam frontier you mentioned Ten, but not Vs., Vitalogy, No Code, or Yield (although that was 98 I think). I think they deserve to be up there.

But we can be here all day if we point out albums you missed, good list regardless. Hip hop was in its prime in my opinion, and Grunge was the best thing to happen to rock since the 70s.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
9Tu6o.png

You messed up.

Empty

you listed lots of shitty rock from that period, but you missed stuff like

...entroducing - dj shadow
selected ambient works - aphex twin
richard d james album - aphex twin
tri repeatae - autechre
dummy - portishead

and the best album of that decade in loveless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom