• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Musk shuts down X/Twitter operations in Brazil, l

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireFly

You can do whatever you want. The politician can come out and say it is a deepfake. If sone people believe it is real, it is what it is. I’ll tell you one thing, the government saying it’s fake won’t make them believe it’s fake.
Your original claim was that we can't decide what "information" is, and therefore "misinformation" can't exist. To be consistent to with claim, I think we would need to hold that we simply can't know whether the deepfake is real or not.

(And to be clear believing in the existence of misinformation doesn't commit us to the claim that the government should regulate what individuals are allowed to post. The truth or falsity of that claim can't be used to determine whether misinformation exists or not )

diffusionx

Gold Member
Your original claim was that we can't decide what "information" is, and therefore "misinformation" can't exist. To be consistent to with claim, I think we would need to hold that we simply can't know whether the deepfake is real or not.

(And to be clear believing in the existence of misinformation doesn't commit us to the claim that the government should regulate what individuals are allowed to post. The truth or falsity of that claim can't be used to determine whether misinformation exists or not )
No no no. I didn’t say that. I didn’t say that deception is fake or we can’t know reality. Obviously that is not true. I said that “misinformation” is a made up term by people with a vested interest in controlling what you can see and hear - primarily the government and its organs in the media. I also said that they cannot decide what “misinformation” is because it’s not their role to decide what is real or not.

JayK47

So many still butt hurt after Musk took over Twitter. Not sure how it could possibly be worse than it was before he bought it. It was a censorship infested far left shithole. Now it is just a shithole. At the end of the day, if you do not like it, do not use it. Plenty of other places to get your spoon fed algorithm fix.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I love how he always describes government agencies doing their jobs as “secret” as though they are supposed to put every communication they have with every company on Twitter.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
If somebody said they did ABC but they didn’t I don’t see why it is the governments job to regulate this or demand some massive infrastructure and bureaucracy to regulate it. It’s not illegal to lie.

Government are the biggest liars.

That's not my argument. But saying misinformation isn't a thing is obfuscation. Saying something was all peace and rainbows when video evidence shows that it wasn't (same for the reverse) is misinformation. Or is it DISinformation? Either way, it CAN be dangerous.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
You can do whatever you want. The politician can come out and say it is a deepfake. If sone people believe it is real, it is what it is. I’ll tell you one thing, the government saying it’s fake won’t make them believe it’s fake. Banning the video won’t make people believe it’s fake.

The very act of doing that (the deep fake) is misinformation. Objectively, it's false information being presented as true.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Execute Order 66
star wars GIF

Guilty_AI

I love how he always describes government agencies doing their jobs as “secret” as though they are supposed to put every communication they have with every company on Twitter.
Judicial orders? Yeah, they must all be public save very rare exceptions where the identity of the defendant is that of a vulnerable (like a minor).

These secret orders he (the judge) keeps sending social media are quite literally illegal, at least according to BR law.

Last edited:
That's not my argument. But saying misinformation isn't a thing is obfuscation. Saying something was all peace and rainbows when video evidence shows that it wasn't (same for the reverse) is misinformation. Or is it DISinformation? Either way, it CAN be dangerous.
Don't feel bad that you don't know the difference. Neither did the US government official in charge of "misinformation," nor could he even define what misinformation is. For the record, misinformation is when you say something that is wrong, and disinformation is when you're wrong AND you know you're wrong.

But I would argue that misinformation is just a control word for "I think you're wrong, and / or I don't like what you're saying." Conversation can lead to understanding of all sides in a debate. Everyone should be heard, or the likelihood of selective enforcement of government power to control speech becomes a reality. That's a far greater danger than allowing free speech.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom