• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

My Hero Academia super detailed character expressions 16
4HNaq4s.jpg
I'll need to control myself cause I have so many screenshots OMG
I mean the biggest thing about this episode is how freakin full of imagery and expressiveness they turned every scenes! This was crazy hype! Even the down-time of the people elaborating strategize was hype as hell! with everyone thinking of who to pick and how to approach the best team making.
Bakugo of course was popular and the way Kirishima interacted with him to convince him was great. Play with his feelings! You got that it worked super well haha!
Midoriya situation was super funny and the very little details got me every time. The moment with him talking to Mei and Ochako being all *damn that girl* was hilarious! But we also had some cool dramatic moments with Iida this episode wanting to distance himself from always depending on Deku. Everyone in this episode was so well approached though. Mei really got to shine this episode and I just love her! From people from class 1-B to lesser present class-1A characters, this was super well made an episode.
I laughed hard at Bakugo clicking his tongue on the excessive violence clause.
This episode felt pretty dragged out and the animation wasn't really anything special either. Hopefully next week's one makes up for it.
What dragged out and no stand-out animation?! Did we watch the same thing? The level of attention too little details and how every emotions was super well repented and full imagery was crazy good! This was like one of the best episode so far!

Sasuke isn't really like Bakugou.
Sasuke wasn't a bully at all, had a mutually antagonistic relationship with Naruto and an actual friendship with him (though I don't believe Kishi developed it enough), plus he defended Naruto from Sakuras mean comments in like the second or third chapter, they're pretty different people.

I'm glad someone actually read the manga lol.

Sasuke was the first on on his team to encourage teamwork, was the first one to sacrifice himself for a team mate (does it for both Naruto and Sakura) and took care of his team in the Chunin exams (again both Naruto and Sakura).

Sasuke's story was a fall from grace (its why Kishi enphasizes him being number 1 rookie, popular etc) due to the trauma he faced as a kid that drives his lust for revenge.

Bakugou is an entirely different character with different relationships with the hero and heroine. I feel like its going to be more of the bad becomes good: he'll leanr what it truly means to be a hero.

Hypron

What dragged out and no stand-out animation?! Did we watch the same thing? The level of attention too little details and how every emotions was super well repented and full imagery was crazy good! This was like one of the best episode so far!

The episode felt slow, with drawn out scenes where nothing's really happening (e.g. people simply running, or staring at each other). It really felt like they wanted this episode to end at a certain point for the sake of the next one even though there wasn't enough material to properly fill it.

The stills look good, but the actual animation (i.e. how things actually move) wasn't anything special. It's all right but there nothing that really makes you go "oh wow."

Sometimes an episode is pretty drawn out but has one standout scene that kinda redeems it and makes it special. This episode does not.

It will probably work better when binge-watching the series, but at the moment it leaves me the feeling of "that's all I'm getting this week?". Especially with the recap at the beginning.

I'm glad someone actually read the manga lol.

Sasuke was the first on on his team to encourage teamwork, was the first one to sacrifice himself for a team mate (does it for both Naruto and Sakura) and took care of his team in the Chunin exams (again both Naruto and Sakura).

Sasuke's story was a fall from grace (its why Kishi enphasizes him being number 1 rookie, popular etc) due to the trauma he faced as a kid that drives his lust for revenge.

Bakugou is an entirely different character with different relationships with the hero and heroine. I feel like its going to be more of the bad becomes good: he'll leanr what it truly means to be a hero.
Yep at the bolded, people forget how much the three of them supported/joked with each other, part one Sakura and Sasuke get really maligned because of Kishi's later (imo) fuck ups.

People forget so much about what both of them did, people act as though Sakura was useless when she took charge as much as anyone in the crew in the forest of death, and they act like all she did was bash Naruto when they constantly encouraged each other throughout the entire arc, part of her deal was shaking off of the ingrained antinaruto biases that a lot of the children were infected with.

Hey I was happy enough this week seeing Shadowbeak get some spotlighting with a side of tech lass (I am no good with names).
They could really do without the first few minutes of each episode being so recap attack though.

caliph95

Yep at the bolded, people forget how much the three of them supported/joked with each other, part one Sakura and Sasuke get really maligned because of Kishi's later (imo) fuck ups.

People forget so much about what both of them did, people act as though Sakura was useless when she took charge as much as anyone in the crew in the forest of death, and they act like all she did was bash Naruto when they constantly encouraged each other throughout the entire arc, part of her deal was shaking off of the ingrained antinaruto biases that a lot of the children were infected with.
Shippudem cause people to forgot about all that, including me

The episode felt slow, with drawn out scenes where nothing's really happening (e.g. people simply running, or staring at each other). It really felt like they wanted this episode to end at a certain point for the sake of the next one even though there wasn't enough material to properly fill it.

The stills look good, but the actual animation (i.e. how things actually move) wasn't anything special. It's all right but there nothing that really makes you go "oh wow."

Sometimes an episode is pretty drawn out but has one standout scene that kinda redeems it and makes it special. This episode does not.

What scene felt dragged out except maybe for the 1 minute of the teachers speaking?Because I don't think there was a single scene with students where people just started at each other or simply walked with nothing happening. Things just kept happening and happening with character interaction to character interaction. The dynamic is fast. I don't need to take a specific example since the whole episode had it! No stand out-scenes?

Of course if you wanted another BOOM or Todo iceice again maybe not? But on a character animation level? This episode was a freakin diamond.

Shippudem cause people to forgot about all that, including me
Not just that though, the Chunin Exams happened far too early so we didn't get to see enough interactions/bonding between the three (there should have been more minor missions and interactions with other genin/regular or slightly dramatic konoha stuff prior to such a massive arc) and then after that it was right to setting stuff up for Sasuke to defect.

The relationships between the three were there, but Kishi didn't strengthen/build on them nearly as much as he needed to, to make Narutos later Sasuke obsession truly earned.

Not just that though, the Chunin Exams happened far too early so we didn't get to see enough interactions/bonding between the three (there should have been more minor missions and interactions with other genin/regular or slightly dramatic konoha stuff prior to such a massive arc) and then after that it was right to setting stuff up for Sasuke to defect.

The relationships between the three were there, but Kishi didn't strengthen/build on them nearly as much as he needed to, to make Narutos later Sasuke obsession truly earned.

Kishi wanted to do more missions with Team 7 but due to the rapidly increasingly popularity of the series was told by the editor to start a tournament arc.

Auctopus

Decent episode, I really like Midoriya's team's dynamic. Seeing Dark Shadow properly is great also. Mineta continues to be incredibly easy to hate and I kinda wish Sakura would stop being such a sap around Midoriya.

Other than that, I liked the episode but I feel like this show puts its most interesting moments towards the beginning of episodes. I think that might be why the pace feels slow to some people. It feels like the show constantly ends when things get interesting.

Sidenote: I find it really difficult to remember the names in this show as well for some reason. I C+P'd the names from other posts for mine.

Kishi wanted to do more missions with Team 7 but due to the rapidly increasingly popularity of the series was told by the editor to start a tournament arc.
Ohh, this one is new to me.
I feel like a lot of Kishi's plans were derailed by executive meddling, such is the shonen jump life.

Hypron

What scene felt dragged out except maybe for the 1 minute of the teachers speaking?Because I don't think there was a single scene with students where people just started at each other or simply walked with nothing happening. Drawn out? how? things just kept happening and happening with character interaction to character interaction. I don't need to take a specific example since the whole episode had it! No stand out-scenes?

Of course if you wanted another BOOM or Todo iceice again maybe not? But on a character animation level? This episode was a freakin diamond.

The episode used cutaways that break the pace, made some of the actions take longer than necessary, and also had those shots of people staring at each other for just a bit too long.

My main issue is with the second half of the episode though. When I read the horse battle in the manga it felt like a fast paced mess with Midoriya and his team avoiding one thing after another. The anime just fails to convey that feeling in my opinion. They spend too much time dragging out both the actions themselves (e.g. Mineta's team throwing stuff and Midoriya's reaction to it) and how much time passes in between those actions (with the tried and true "people running while someone narrates over" section). As a result, it leaves you wondering "what are those guys really doing?". It's a common issue in anime, but I found it particularly annoying here.

Chase17

Fun episode!
The lida betrayal!
lida to Deku "I can't join you since I've been losing to you since the entrance exams"
*Proceeds to join team with top two in class*

The Kirishima/Bakugou team up was great. And while I'm not a big fan of Mineta, he was pretty funny when attacking Deku this episode.

Ascheroth

I'll take this weak animation every day:
https://sakugabooru.com/data/89cadadb464aacbfe1877cd6f76b673b.mp4
https://sakugabooru.com/data/f89e633ab66d25c7adc79b76d5af9411.mp4

The entire episode was full of energy all the way through.
The character animation itself is often simple, but the direction is really dynamic and lively.
There ain't scenes where people stand opposite of each other and just talk with alternating closeup, or walk circles in a room while talking (*cough* Ufotable Fate *cough*) There's always something fun happening.

Take this scene:
It had really 'simple animation', and yet it was super fun to watch because of the soundeffects and timing and all that jazz.

The episode used cutaways that break the pace, made some of the actions take longer than necessary, and also had those shots of people staring at each other for just a bit too long.

My main issue is with the second half of the episode though. When I read the horse battle in the manga it felt like a fast paced mess with Midoriya and his team avoiding one thing after another. The anime just fails to convey that feeling in my opinion. They spend too much time dragging out both the actions themselves (e.g. Mineta's team throwing stuff and Midoriya's reaction to it) and how much time passes in between those actions (with the tried and true "people running while someone narrates over" section). As a result, it leaves you wondering "what are those guys really doing?". It's a common issue in anime, but I found it particularly annoying here.
Oh well you are having issues with stuff I found made things pretty perfect. We just see things differently I guess.
It's not bad, but annoying. Even less stuff in a episode is annoying.
1 minute is annoying? Isn't it a pretty common practice? At maybe 2 minutes I could understand...but 1?

Ascheroth

Oh well you are having issues with stuff I found made things pretty perfect. We just see things differently I guess.

1 minute is annoying? Isn't it a pretty common practice? At maybe 2 minutes I could understand...but 1?
I could do without the 1-2 minute recaps at the beginning, but I rather take that instead of flashbacks or drawn out scenes during the actual episodes.

I could do without the 1-2 minute recaps at the beginning, but I rather take that instead of flashbacks or drawn out scenes during the actual episodes.

Of course I would do without too. I just think complaining for 1 minute is kind of reaching for something to complain about.

Ascheroth

Kinda slow
BUT DID YOU HEAR THAT TRACK THAT PLAYED RIGHT BEFORE THE HALFWAY MARK

Hayashi the gawd

Yessss.
Also the jazzy soundtrack during Meis 'recruitment'.
And when Iida refused Deku and went to Todoroki instead. Sounded right out of Gundam Build Fighters <3

So good.

spiritfox

Of course I would do without too. I just think complaining for 1 minute is kind of reaching for something to complain about.

It's a total valid complaint? In a series that's already problematic with it's pacing using 30 secs to repeat something that has already been shown multiple times, then adding another minute just to recap the previous episode is, IMO, not a good use of the time. I get that they want to just cover 2 chapters per episode, but it makes the series a little sluggish in terms of pacing. The whole cavalry battle so far feels a little too calm because there's too much long talking over drawn out scenes.

It's a total valid complaint? In a series that's already problematic with it's pacing using 30 secs to repeat something that has already been shown multiple times, then adding another minute just to recap the previous episode is, IMO, not a good use of the time. I get that they want to just cover 2 chapters per episode, but it makes the series a little sluggish in terms of pacing. The whole cavalry battle so far feels a little too calm because there's too much long talking over drawn out scenes.
Sure it is. But I think that at this point 1 minute isn't enough to drag the rest of the episode down. It makes it possible to pace it perfectly.

The intro is cool. They can play it every week.

Hopeford

Bakugou is the bakubest. Not a huge fan of this week's episode, but I can't even blame the pacing - guess they just needed to set things up for next week.

NEO0MJ

I was eager to see how class B was going to hit class A. The students from both classes knew each other well but how it played out in the match was completely different.
Wonder why Tokoyami was cool with joining Deku. Was actually expecting another non-class A to join. Still, it was niceto see more of his stand. Wonder how sentient it is.

N7.Angel

Sasuke isn't really like Bakugou.
Sasuke wasn't a bully at all, had a mutually antagonistic relationship with Naruto and an actual friendship with him (though I don't believe Kishi developed it enough), plus he defended Naruto from Sakuras mean comments in like the second or third chapter, they're pretty different people.

It's what I'm saying, Sasuke going Rogue make no sense at all, especially after learning the truth about his brother when Bakugo has all the characteristic of a possible vilain.

It's what I'm saying, Sasuke going Rogue make no sense at all, especially after learning the truth about his brother when Bakugo has all the characteristic of a possible vilain.

Bakugou has no motivation to go rogue though. In fact his biggest motivation is to be the opposite: hero.

Sasuke's motivation never concerned what was considered villainous or righteous. He says it himself, he would eat the devils fruit if it meant killing Itachi. After learning the truth, to Sasuke, Konoha are the villains, for allowing the genocide of his clan, forcing his brother to do such a deed, blaming it all on him and hiding this from everyone. At that moment, Sasuke's motivation was literally an eye for an eye revenge.

Motivation is what should drive this change not characteristics.

Hatsume is such a cute little... I risk saying "mad scientist".
Always talking about her "babies".
o8m17l5.png

I'm a big fan of science/technology girls, so I'm really looking forward to seeing more of her and her gadgets in action.

peter0611

Hatsume has a very distinct way of speaking. It reminds me of the stereotypical rich, high-culture females in other anime. I like it.

Hatsume is such a cute little... I risk saying "mad scientist".
Always talking about her "babies".

But I love to see her gadgets in action.

The way she was talking to Deku about her babies in the english dub was so hilarious. With just the characters talking, the scene could've gotten taken out of context so much in really weird ways haha.

Top Bottom