• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

daevious

This is something Horikoshi does really well. Significant characters (villains especially) sometimes get separate styles. All Might is the recurring example, but Shiragaki gets a ton of horror notes, and Stain as y'all can see is like something out of a 90's Heavy Metal issue.

Stain looks like a Rob Liefeld design drawn by someone who understands how anatomy works.

I think this post counts as a spoiler considering that it lists out a theory that may not be on the forefront of watchers minds, and because you're implying that the plot point you're talking on is still currently unresolved at this point in the manga.
I'd recommend deletion.
And my opinion:
There have been terrible theories about multiple kids being the traitor since it's been revealed, they're all WOAT.

I like how people are like bakugou is mean and angry, but all his arts make him look insanely awesome and happy. Best.

DCFsXl9XYAAZ80j.jpg:small

Permanently A

Can anyone tell me the track that has the small techno beat to it? Its usually played during tense scenes, like in last episode it was while Iida was running with Todoroki right before his engine was frozen.

Laiza

I do wonder what you would consider "skeleton" manga
This question wasn't directed at me, but right now The Promised Neverland is really close to this. Especially with how remarkably competent and humanized the female antagonists are. The main female character isn't quite as competent as the male ones, but they put such an emphasis on folks having different strengths that I can't even hold that against them. That, and they make it pretty clear that she's got lots of room to grow, too, so that's nice to see.

I'd also argue Watamote has shades of this, though a lot of it is by virtue of the author being a woman using Tomoko as an author stand-in and retelling actual experiences of her teenage years with some extra dramatic flair. The irony of her fan base consisting of a huge portion of seemingly marginalized male geeks is not lost on me. At any rate, I consider its existence to be pretty positive, since it's one of the few manga that really drive home the fact that women are human too and can suffer all the same foibles and nuances that men do, something that way too many men seem to not understand, judging by the sexist screeds that still pervade social media. (Hell, we've got a thread on that very topic on the front page of the Gaming section right now...)

Honestly, from what I've seen of MHA so far, it wouldn't really take a whole lot to fix the few mistakes they've made. Most of it has to do with female character design - in particular, the power distribution (it is not an accident that he gave clothes-exclusive invisibility and a power that literally requires its user to show a lot of skin to the female characters) and the costume design that accompanies it. That, and allowing at least one female character in the top 4 of a major tournament would have been greatly appreciated.

Even better if Tokoyami were female. As a rule, female characters generally aren't allowed to be dark and edgy, nor are they allowed to be as bestial as he is (with an actual bird head and all) - hell, just look at Monster Musume to see examples of what I mean! In fact, in general, there are a lot of cases where you can look at a male character concept, then imagine "what if they were female?", and instantly make things a bit more interesting for everyone involved. Imagine if Endeavor were a woman, for example? That scenario suddenly looks a whole lot different when we're talking about a battered husband and a power-mad woman desperate to usurp the throne from a male rival.

We never see stories like these. Not with female protagonists at the helm. Hell, I look at One's works (Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man) and get sad that, as incredible as his trope-defying stellar writing can be, it also falls into the same traps of relegating most of its female cast to side character status and never really letting them be as badass as the male characters (with the very notable - and very particular - exception of Tatsumaki). I'd just... really, really like to see stories like that where we have female protagonists telling similar stories but very subtly different in ways that avoid the common pitfalls we see today.

Long rant, sorry. At any rate, I'm still enjoying this whole ride and will follow it through to the end. I just think about the possibilities and get a little sad. All the more reason for me to get back to drawing and writing myself, hmm?

Not

Banned
This question wasn't directed at me, but right now The Promised Neverland is really close to this. Especially with how remarkably competent and humanized the female antagonists are. The main female character isn't quite as competent as the male ones, but they put such an emphasis on folks having different strengths that I can't even hold that against them. That, and they make it pretty clear that she's got lots of room to grow, too, so that's nice to see.

I'd also argue Watamote has shades of this, though a lot of it is by virtue of the author being a woman using Tomoko as an author stand-in and retelling actual experiences of her teenage years with some extra dramatic flair. The irony of her fan base consisting of a huge portion of seemingly marginalized male geeks is not lost on me. At any rate, I consider its existence to be pretty positive, since it's one of the few manga that really drive home the fact that women are human too and can suffer all the same foibles and nuances that men do, something that way too many men seem to not understand, judging by the sexist screeds that still pervade social media. (Hell, we've got a thread on that very topic on the front page of the Gaming section right now...)

Honestly, from what I've seen of MHA so far, it wouldn't really take a whole lot to fix the few mistakes they've made. Most of it has to do with female character design - in particular, the power distribution (it is not an accident that he gave clothes-exclusive invisibility and a power that literally requires its user to show a lot of skin to the female characters) and the costume design that accompanies it. That, and allowing at least one female character in the top 4 of a major tournament would have been greatly appreciated.

Even better if Tokoyami were female. As a rule, female characters generally aren't allowed to be dark and edgy, nor are they allowed to be as bestial as he is (with an actual bird head and all) - hell, just look at Monster Musume to see examples of what I mean! In fact, in general, there are a lot of cases where you can look at a male character concept, then imagine "what if they were female?", and instantly make things a bit more interesting for everyone involved. Imagine if Endeavor were a woman, for example? That scenario suddenly looks a whole lot different when we're talking about a battered husband and a power-mad woman desperate to usurp the throne from a male rival.

We never see stories like these. Not with female protagonists at the helm. Hell, I look at One's works (Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man) and get sad that, as incredible as his trope-defying stellar writing can be, it also falls into the same traps of relegating most of its female cast to side character status and never really letting them be as badass as the male characters (with the very notable - and very particular - exception of Tatsumaki). I'd just... really, really like to see stories like that where we have female protagonists telling similar stories but very subtly different in ways that avoid the common pitfalls we see today.

Long rant, sorry. At any rate, I'm still enjoying this whole ride and will follow it through to the end. I just think about the possibilities and get a little sad. All the more reason for me to get back to drawing and writing myself, hmm?

Great post

caliph95

Nah i like reading that and you raise a lot of good points

Also doesn't help for OPM there are only two real female characters in the Hero association which is pretty much a sausage fest with the few there are being background characters

Jintor

i think her last voiced line was in the cheerleading squad before the tournament began, so just after the cavalry battle.

that's a fast 'drop' though lol.

NSESN

Hagakure, the invisible girl, was supposed to be a boy. In fact the author only decided she was a girl after she was introduced. Tsuyu was aso supposed to be a boy.

PK Gaming

This is a really, really good post

BHK3

Banned
Watched all the episodes in a 2 days, it's a pretty sweet anime and I feel like reading it now. Is the manga any deeper compared to the Anime? Also explosion guy is probably the worst character in the show, hands down.

Permanently A

Watched all the episodes in a 2 days, it's a pretty sweet anime and I feel like reading it now. Is the manga any deeper compared to the Anime? Also explosion guy is probably the worst character in the show, hands down.

Yeah definitely, there's a lot of development, plot and character wise. And you're right, explosion brat is a dumpster fire.

LotusHD

Banned

You take that back good sir.

caliph95

I've seen you in the One Piece thread. This dude is captain kidd but worse, let that sink in.
I don't remember Bakugo slaughtering villages and islands
Also Bakugou
gets development and is more complex than Kidd who is just a hotheaded asshole

Veelk

Banned
I've seen you in the One Piece thread. This dude is captain kidd but worse, let that sink in.

There is virtually nothing connecting the characters other that they got kind of a psychotic look to them and that neither are very nice.

caliph95

There is virtually nothing connecting the characters other that they got kind of a psychotic look to them and that neither are very nice.
Bakugo is the kind of kid that will want to be the Fleet admiral or whatever is the top marine and be the Number one Marine

caliph95

Nah, Bakugo is just playing "little hero games". Totally different.

On a serious note, I don't understand how he's worse.
One mass slaughters and one bullies kids, i think you can see Bakugou is much worse

Also Bakugo is more memorable than Kidd who is eh, for better or worse

It's hard to talk about the merits of Bakugou's character without treading into spoiler territory tbh. At least by the somewhat stringent standards of what constitutes a spoiler in anime adaptation threads.

Check out the Manga thread or shoot a reader you know a PM if you want a real breakdown I guess.

It's hard to talk about the merits of Bakugou's character without treading into spoiler territory tbh. At least by the somewhat stringent standards of what constitutes a spoiler in anime adaptation threads.

Check out the Manga thread or shoot a reader you know a PM if you want a real breakdown I guess.

No it's not.

Bakugo is a shit character. How he acts and what has been shown makes him a shit character. He's literally the angry kid whose shtick is to be angry. Similar to how Deku is the crying / insert "author's desired childhood" kid. Both are terrible character traits the show wants to keep going with. That's all I can see from the anime (and I haven't even read the manga).

They don't even have a good dynamic. I'm actually quite curious as to what makes them endearing or even good.

I think this show would have been ace if it wasn't kids. Darker Than Black with a lighter tone would have been ace. Oh well.

No it's not.

Bakugo is a shit character. How he acts and what has been shown makes him a shit character. He's literally the angry kid whose shtick is to be angry. Similar to how Deku is the crying / insert "author's desired childhood" kid. Both are terrible character traits the show wants to keep going with. That's all I can see from the anime (and I haven't even read the manga).

They don't even have a good dynamic. I'm actually quite curious as to what makes them endearing or even good.

I think this show would have been ace if it wasn't kids. Darker Than Black with a lighter tone would have been ace. Oh well.
Man, I just said that it's hard to talk about Bakugou as a character without talking about stuff from later in the Manga and you give me that?

PK Gaming

No it's not.

Talk as much shit as you want about Bakugou (though he's a good character) but don't you dare start coming at Deku with weak ass disingenuous statements like "author's desired childhood" kid who cries a lot.

Honestly I'm indifferent to the whole "super emotional manly tears boy" shounen MC. But it beats Bakugo who is basically an edgy edgy 10 year old.

He's Shadow the Hedgehog levels of lame. He's a tsundere hero. "B-baka! Shineeeee (tl note: shine means die)! I didn't save you because I wanted to or anything. Urusai (tl note: urusai means shaddup!")"

Talk as much shit as you want about Bakugou (though he's a good character) but don't you dare start coming at Deku with weak ass disingenuous statements like "author's desired childhood" kid who cries a lot.

Ionno. I never not see these "uncool" MCs who gain the BEST super power and start making lots of friends / potential love interest. It's hard to shake the belief that this isn't a personal desire from the author. There's a saying that people always want to be Superman or Jesus but never the guy 2 houses down.

Permanently A

Ionno. I never not see these "uncool" MCs who gain the BEST super power and start making lots of friends / potential love interest. It's hard to shake the belief that this isn't a personal desire from the author. There's a saying that people always want to be Superman or Jesus but never the guy 2 houses down.

If Deku is a self insert, at least he's a realistic one. Its not like he mary sue'd his way to winning the tournament. Hell he doesn't even know how to use "his" power properly yet.

Veelk

Banned

That's hardly a bad thing. When you look at literature or stories of any kind, you'll find that there are very few ones where things completely suck on every level. Because that is largely an uninteresting story most of the time. Even exceptionally flawed characters with extremely sucky lives like Tyrion Lannister are wishfulfillment in the sense that he fights back against a world that rejects him by being smarter than everyone around him and funny as hell to boot.

It's only a problem, as it is with all tropes, when it's written poorly. MHA is not, so it isn't.

If Deku is a self insert, at least he's a realistic one. Its not like he mary sue'd his way to winning the tournament. Hell he doesn't even know how to use "his" power properly yet.

deku's not realistic. there's literally no loss with his character, only gains. sure, he breaks his arm but he's been on a steady curve up. he's gaining friends / love interests pretty quickly, he's steadily getting stronger, and even though he has "hangups" IE he gets super emotional, non of this is detrimental to his character. think back: has Deku's character ever been into question or lost? you'll be shocked to realize this underdog has, like, zero disadvantages.

caliph95

deku's not realistic. there's literally no loss with his character, only gains. sure, he breaks his arm but he's been on a steady curve up. he's gaining friends / love interests pretty quickly, he's steadily getting stronger, and even though he has "hangups" IE he gets super emotional, non of this is detrimental to his character. think back: has Deku's character ever been into question or lost? you'll be shocked to realise this underdog has, like, zero disadvantages.
So he is a protagonist on a hero's journey
And a lot of the time which even Deku pointed he got by luck and the help of his teammates they would have failed the Calvary race if Tokoyami didn't bail them out and would have died aganst the VA if All might didn't show up.
He also stood no chance against Todoroki and Bakugo at least without killing them
He also has a alot of self doubt that even All might was getting annoyed by and is at a big disadvantage with his power which he still can't use properly

Permanently A

deku's not realistic. there's literally no loss with his character, only gains. sure, he breaks his arm but he's been on a steady curve up. he's gaining friends / love interests pretty quickly, he's steadily getting stronger, and even though he has "hangups" IE he gets super emotional, non of this is detrimental to his character. think back: has Deku's character ever been into question or lost? you'll be shocked to realize this underdog has, like, zero disadvantages.

All Might told him to proclaim himself to the world and he failed. Didn't even make top 3.

"has Deku's character ever been into question or lost?"

Deku LITERALLY has a moment questioning if he was the right person to inherit One for All because he thinks he's such a failure.

How is this not a loss?

Veelk

Banned
has Deku's character ever been into question or lost?

*Constant self doubts about his own ability*
*has no control of his quirk and constantly fucks up his own body using it*
*Scored zero points on practical exam*
*Has to be saved from villains when they attack the school*
*lost in the tournament, didn't make it even into the top 3*

How's that?

Top Bottom