• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

Red Fire

To the manga readers, without spoiling:

So i just got into this series and i love it. Just seen the latest episode. The animation and the fights are gorgeous.
I checked how far the anime is behind the manga and the current anime episodes seem to be somewhere around chapter 40, and there are like 140 chapters currently?

So it's pretty far behind right?
How's the manga, are the fights as enjoyable as in the anime? Would you recommend reading on now instead of waiting for the anime to slowwwwly catch up?

I just want more.

SalvaPot

To the manga readers, without spoiling:

So i just got into this series and i love it. Just seen the latest episode. The animation and the fights are gorgeous.
I checked how far the anime is behind the manga and the current anime episodes seem to be somewhere around chapter 40, and there are like 140 chapters currently?

So it's pretty far behind right?
How's the manga, are the fights as enjoyable as in the anime? Would you recommend reading on now instead of waiting for the anime to slowwwwly catch up?

I just want more.

The manga is amazing, the pace is superior and the art style its detailed and rich. There is also all kinds of extras added to the volumes like character profiles and details.

The anime is awesome too, so really you could enjoy both, compare and enjoy. We do it all the time in the manga thread.

TimmiT

Yeah, the manga is great. There are times where I feel like the anime is better (like Midoriya vs Todoroki), but overall I'd say the manga > anime. Pacing is a lot better and the art is fantastic.

LogicStep

Why is this anime so fucking good?

My top two are Hunter x Hunter followed by One Piece but this one is a serious contender to dethrone those two.

How many episodes are left in this season? One, two more?

Also, how far ahead is the manga? I haven't read it yet and I'd like to just stay with the anime but this shit is too hype.

Moaradin

Why is this anime so fucking good?

My top two are Hunter x Hunter followed by One Piece but this one is a serious contender to dethrone those two.

How many episodes are left in this season? One, two more?

Also, how far ahead is the manga? I haven't read it yet and I'd like to just stay with the anime but this shit is too hype.

Still got another 14 or so episodes.

And the manga is really far ahead. Like, there's enough material for two more 25 episode seasons right now.

Tace

The Hero Killer Stain!!!!!!!!!! I've been waiting for this since the manga arc, the excitement is off the charts. He looks even cooler animated than I dared dream. Love the red glow they gave his eyes in the shadow. The scarf and hair really pop. Stain I think, is the character that shows Horikoshi's love of comics the most. He's like a teenage mutant ninja turtle mixed with Casey Jones

Great episode. I forgot how dominant Bakugo was in his match ups. And there was a lot more blood there than I remember for poor Iida's brother. Is it next week yet?

If Deku had 100% flicked Todoroki instead of doing those weak contact punches, would he have killed Todoroki?

i think his finger flicks were at 100%, but since he was only hitting with air pressure (and because we're working off comic rules) it wasn't enough to actually hurt todoroki. If the actual finger had hit shouto, then yeah, probably.

(technically speaking anything crazy enough to do that amount of air pressure should by all rights have probably caused some severe internal bleeding to shoto, but let's ignore that)
I don't know. Didn't All Might extinguish two whole apartment complexes and fling that villain in all directions with just a clap of his hand? All the moves in the hazard training area with the Nemu were like 100%. That would kill someone up close.

caliph95

I don't know. Didn't All Might extinguish two whole apartment complexes and fling that villain in all directions with just a clap of his hand? All the moves in the hazard training area with the Nemu were like 100%. That would kill someone up close.
He changed the weather by punching really hard

The truth of the matter is that if Deku ever tries to hit someone at 100% power it will either miss, or the target in question will be immune/resistant (like that bird creature thing that attacked them at UA).

I'm guessing this isn't the sort of show that actually lets heroes kill the villain.

caliph95

The truth of the matter is that if Deku ever tries to hit someone at 100% power it will either miss, or the target in question will be immune/resistant (like that bird creature thing that attacked them at UA).

I'm guessing this isn't the sort of show that actually lets heroes kill the villain.
Deku tried but Nomu reminds him it isn't that kinda shonen

Deku tried but Nomu reminds him it isn't that kinda shonen

Nomu's the bird creature, right?

Deku can hit those sorts of enemies all he wants. The narrative won't let him explode a regular person. Like in Captain Planet where the fire dude can never land a direct hit on people.

caliph95

Nomu's the bird creature, right?

Deku can hit those sorts of enemies all he wants. The narrative won't let him explode a regular person. Like in Captain Planet where the fire dude can never land a direct hit on people.
He did almost killed Shigiraki because he was going to kill Tsu but yeah since heroes are glorified cops and the inspiration of western superheroes killing is nit going to be a big thing

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
This episode was a great follow up to the last one. I don't know how I would have improved this over the manga. Faithful adaption.

The dimming is still really noticeable lol.

Maybe now the thread title makes sense.

Red Fire

Thx for the answers

Another question, if i just read on from now on (so around chapter 40 41 or something), are there things that i could have missed? Like are there things that haven't been shown in the anime? Or am i better off rereading everything?

Moaradin

Thx for the answers

Another question, if i just read on from now on (so around chapter 40 41 or something), are there things that i could have missed? Like are there things that haven't been shown in the anime? Or am i better off rereading everything?

No, the anime adapts everything. Though it wouldn't hurt to start from the beginning. It's great and a pretty quick read.

Meffer

So I know some of you anime watchers were asking why did All Might not choose another student who already had a Quirk making them even stronger. Well there you go. All Might was Quirkless at first too. So he related to Deku and saw the trait of a truly dedicated hero.

I remember feeling bad for Midoriya here when I read the manga because it really drove home how self-destructive his actions are up to now, no matter how well-intentioned he is. The anime captured that perfectly. I'm also glad the anime further showed the remaining matches, especially since quite a few took place off screen.

I've been watching the dub, and I love that Funimation casted Robert McCollum as Stain. He sounds really good so far.

Still got another 14 or so episodes.

And the manga is really far ahead. Like, there's enough material for two more 25 episode seasons right now.

It also definitely helps Horikoshi has avoided making absurdly long arcs in the manga like the Big Three got infamous for. The arcs in the manga have been fairly brisk which kind of makes it perfect for this seasonal format that Bones has taken to adapting it.

Trojita

I actually have problems even calling any of the events in Hero Academia as an arc. They are so briskly well done that I can't compare these situations to the full on arcs in the big three.

LotusHD

Banned
I actually have problems even calling any of the events in Hero Academia as an arc. They are so briskly well done that I can't compare these situations to the full on arcs in the big three.

I think that may partly explain my weird predicament with this series, in which my memory regarding it isn't the best it could be. Like I certainly recall a good handful of memorable scenes in the manga, as well as stuff we've seen already get adapted, but if someone asked me what arc it belonged to, I'd struggle to come up with an answer. It could very well be simple in that I just never got the memo about what some of the upcoming arcs get called, but yea, compared to its competition, I have a more difficult time organizing it all.
I do know this is the Sports Festival arc though...

Like One Piece you have obvious big stuff like Marineford or Enies Lobby, Bleach has stuff like the Soul Society arc, Naruto with the Chunin Exams or the Shinobi War arc, Hunter X Hunter has Greed Island or the Chimera Ant arc, etc. Regardless of its quality, those are always gonna stick in my mind. Whereas with MHA, I for the most part have no clue. Looking at the Wiki, the arc names (Dunno if they follow a consensus) seem to be bland as hell, so maybe that's another factor.

But anyways, yea, I guess that has to do with how the events in MHA more or less blend together well.

Trojita

I think that may partly explain my weird predicament with this series, in which my memory regarding it isn't the best it could be. Like I certainly recall a good handful of memorable scenes in the manga, as well as stuff we've seen already get adapted, but if someone asked me what arc it belonged to, I'd struggle to come up with an answer. It could very well be simple in that I just never got the memo about what some of the upcoming arcs get called, but yea, compared to its competition, I have a more difficult time organizing it all.
I do know this is the Sports Festival arc though...

Like One Piece you have obvious big stuff like Marineford or Enies Lobby, Bleach has stuff like the Soul Society arc, Naruto with the Chunin Exams or the Shinobi War arc, Hunter X Hunter has Greed Island or the Chimera Ant arc, etc. Regardless of its quality, those are always gonna stick in my mind. Whereas with MHA, I for the most part have no clue. Looking at the Wiki, the arc names (Dunno if they follow a consensus) seem to be bland as hell, so maybe that's another factor.

But anyways, yea, I guess that has to do with how the events in MHA more or less blend together well.

Yeah that's the problem so far. It goes so fast that there really isn't anything I'd call an Epic, in the literal meaning.

NSESN

Really liked this episode. Good way of initiating the next arc while this arc is still finishing.

Yeah, the manga is great. There are times where I feel like the anime is better (like Midoriya vs Todoroki), but overall I'd say the manga > anime. Pacing is a lot better and the art is fantastic.

I honestly hate the pacing of the spring festival in the manga, it was really rushed. Bones did a good job improving it.

Jintor

actually i feel like one of the main things is that the transition points between arcs aren't very clearly defined most of the time, or if they are, they spring naturally into one another so they pool very easily. I just read ahead yesterday because i was feeling the hype again and yeah, I noticed that I didn't really have a good sense of a solid dividing line between arcs.

Really looking forward to seeing a bunch of good shit animated soon and I won't say anything more than that.

Raxus

Really liked this episode. Good way of initiating the next arc while this arc is still finishing.

I honestly hate the pacing of the spring festival in the manga, it was really rushed. Bones did a good job improving it.

Yeah most of the fights are secluded to 1-2 panels. It is nice to see a little more of them. Even Bakago vs. Tokoyami was basically 1 page.

Part of me is slightly disappointed Stain wasn't green like a TMNT.

Still I am pumped.

Here is how he first appeared in the manga.

fbe9fa624d4ad4b3460dc03f01b4daa0542cd46f_hq.jpg

Nightbird

I'm almost disappointed that his Design isn't as detailed as in the manga, but there's only so much you can do with constantly moving images in a weekly show.

So I know some of you anime watchers were asking why did All Might not choose another student who already had a Quirk making them even stronger. Well there you go. All Might was Quirkless at first too. So he related to Deku and saw the trait of a truly dedicated hero.

Yeah but Todoroki tho. Or Tokoyami.

Especially Tokoyami.

Veelk

Banned
i always thought the dude was a raven

Ravens have an even thicker beak than crows. Also, both of them have black beaks while Toko's is yellow.

latest

You're looking for a short, yellow beak with a downward hook. So my guess is that it's a hawk.

caliph95

Code:
[IMG]http://68.media.tumblr.com/64464ce71630acef8ecec38e93e1d783/tumblr_inline_mlhfrmppJ51qz4rgp.png[/IMG]"He isn't even a true Edgelord, what a disappointment"

Top Bottom