• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

caliph95

Anyway out of the top students
Todoroki doesn't need it and he is probably too cold for All might
Hell no to Bakugo
Tokoyami doesn't have the personality for the Symbol of Peace
Iida is the same and not very approachable

caliph95

Bakugou dominating people
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Laiza

Gotta say, I've been enjoying the tournament quite a bit, but seeing zero heroines in the top 4 sure rubs me the wrong way. Sure, it can just be a consequence of the makeup of that particular year's classes, but that doesn't really make it any less annoying in light of BnH's other slights against its female characters...

I do hope they make up for it later. And I did appreciate the focus on Ochako. But it'd be great to have that kind of focus on at least three of the other female characters, considering...

Jintor

yeah, MHA is written fairly well on the up but I think probably the idea of gender balancing the story better didn't enter the equation for a long time or at least until Hoshi had already established the basic ground rules of the story. I'd argue the only primary female characters are Ura, Momo and Froppy with everybody else relegated to secondary tier. Compare main cast for the boys - even amongst the students alone you have Mido, Baku, Tokidori and arguably Kirishima/Kaminari at story focus tier. Even amongst the pros no heroines take centre stage - the closest is Midnight and Mt Lady - though you get some damn good secondaries.

The focus on the girls they do get into, without spoiling, is pretty good, but it's kind of overwhelmed by the amount of male characters the show follows.

That might be something to think about regarding Japanese superherodom at the moment, it is pretty male-centric (Tiger and Bunny, One Punch, MHA). I suspect female superherodom would probably crossover with idols in any case, at least initially.

Veelk

Banned
While I really do like a lot of what MHA does, it's not what I'd call call a full out and out feminist manga. It's more that it just has feminist leanings. It's like "Uh, guys, lets just take a second to acknowledge this kind of bullshit stuff we have going on here" and tries to avoid the worst of it. But at the same time, it's still indulging in a lot of it. We have fanservice, we have a majority male cast, etc.

It's good and I think it stands out compared to a lot of it's contemporaries and it deserves commendations for that, it's still got a long way to go before we reach peak SJW manga levels.

Jintor

someone posted reaction videos to ep 10 last week and it's your fault that i'm just watching this one guy react to like all of MHA

he's a cool dude though a cut above most other shouty react vids

caliph95

I like how you can tell Bakugou is really a hero because when he beats people up he tells them to die
Truly the next SYMBOL OF PEACE
While I really do like a lot of what MHA does, it's not what I'd call call a full out and out feminist manga. It's more that it just has feminist leanings. It's like "Uh, guys, lets just take a second to acknowledge this kind of bullshit stuff we have going on here" and tries to avoid the worst of it. But at the same time, it's still indulging in a lot of it. We have fanservice, we have a majority male cast, etc.

It's good and I think it stands out compared to a lot of it's contemporaries and it deserves commendations for that, it's still got a long way to go before we reach peak SJW manga levels.
I do wonder what you would consider "SJW" manga

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Kirishima is the only pick in Deku's class that would have matched Deku's level of heroism. The two quirks would work really well together too.

NEO0MJ

Kirishima is the only pick in Deku's class that would have matched Deku's level of heroism. The two quirks would work really well together too.

I mentioned it before but in the entrance exam he had one of the highest rescue points after Deku and has shown a lot of care for others during the show so yeah he'd probably have been All Might's pick if he didn't find Deku before school started.

Veelk

Banned
Truly the next SYMBOL OF PEACE

I do wonder what you would consider "SJW" manga

Well, I was using the phrase somewhat ironically. I don't actually believe SJW products, in the way detractors use the term, actually exist. I mean, there are some that promote themselves on some positive message or something (The Supergirl CW show has a very strong "Rah, Rah, Girl Power" promotion to it. But I've yet to encounter anything that's worth watching/reading that actually relies on it's supposedly positive message to be the only thing of merit in it. Some author's insist on their right to use minority characters and say how that's something that should matter because their stories deserve to get told, but that's just the acknowledgement that minorities are human beings. And I don't consider that to be an extremist position, which is what SJW is supposed to be, an extremist.

Gun to my head, I'd say that Attack on Titan is potentially one of the most progressive ones in terms of gender roles by....just not having them. It's not emphatic about any 'sjw' theme, but it basically posits that sexism is dumb and...just doesn't include any. There's no real sexual objectification of women and they're all treated as typical combatants in just about every circumstance. The closest it comes to trying to address the gender equivalence is some scene where the characters go "Well, shouldn't the woman not fight...?" to which the response was basically "What? Dumbass, no, of course not." and that's it.

caliph95

I think gate is confirmed and aot is rumoured.

personally i'm a big proponent of death of the author, so eh
It's because the general looks like IIRC a major Japanese war criminal or at least someone who committed horrible acts right posting before i google it

caliph95

It doesn't really matter unless the manga itself supports ultranationalism.
I do see your point by the way about AoT
AFAIK it just that one of the characters looks like someone right i don't remember from what i read that the manga full supports it

Veelk

Banned
Without spoiling AoT in an unrelated thread, my understanding of later events in the manga is that it kinda does.

(That's second hand tho)

I'm reading it and more than anything else, I'm just confused about whats happening. I think I'd have to reread it with better translation to actually 'get it'. Once I understand the baseline plot, then I'll start worrying about the greater philosophical issues.

Catching up, started the anime 2 days ago now on episode 10 season 2.

And like I suspected it's really not for me. I think the thing I disliked the most was the huge lack of identity of this. The setting is too random, quirks are most of the time bland (that's Stardust Crusader's Stands level of blandness) and sequences felt like I already watched that in others anime.

Besides I don't like most characters, even in anime standards, they cry too much, they shout too much, they are noisy (the worst is probably Bakugo especially in the first season who is angry about absolutely nothing it's exhausting). And funny moments are not funny... at all.

Kaizer

Banned
Stain! Man I'm super pumped for the Stain Arc to start, I've only read up to Chapter 81 in the MHA manga & the Stain Arc has been my favorite so far. Is the anime going to go on break for the Summer season & return in the Fall or is it just going to continue running for another like 11 episodes?

Kaizer

Banned
Oh wow, holy shit I had no idea it was gonna keep running. I assumed they were gonna break up the two arcs. That's really awesome, that we don't have to wait 3 months or so for the next arc. Glad they decided to run for 2-cour this year.

Isn't more like 23 episodes if hes on the 10th ep of season 2?

That's some stamina.

To be fair, I don't hate watching it but at the same time I'm not enjoying not really much either. Also I was curious about episode 10 season 2 because a lot of people I knew said that it was an amazing episode. Like if I would rate it would be between a 5 or 6 out of 10. Not boring but not great either

Nightbird

To be fair, I don't hate watching it but at the same time I'm not enjoying not really much either. Also I was curious about episode 10 season 2 because a lot of people I knew said that it was an amazing episode. Like if I would rate it would be between a 5 or 6 out of 10. Not boring but not great either

Eh, at least you tried.

And tbh, I think your critique is fair. It may not be how most here see the series, but different people get ticked off by different things.

Are you going to continue watching it, or have you definitely decided to drop it?

Eh, at least you tried.

And tbh, I think your critique is fair. It may not be how most here see the series, but different people get ticked off by different things.

Are you going to continue watching it, or have you definitely decided to drop it?

Well I would like to know who will win this tournament at least !

Permanently A

Catching up, started the anime 2 days ago now on episode 10 season 2.

And like I suspected it's really not for me. I think the thing I disliked the most was the huge lack of identity of this. The setting is too random, quirks are most of the time bland (that's Stardust Crusader's Stands level of blandness) and sequences felt like I already watched that in others anime.

Besides I don't like most characters, even in anime standards, they cry too much, they shout too much, they are noisy (the worst is probably Bakugo especially in the first season who is angry about absolutely nothing it's exhausting). And funny moments are not funny... at all.

I actually kind of feel the same way but I think the villains are interesting and Deku and All Might's relationship is interesting. Beyond that the rest of the characters are kinda a wash for me.

I actually kind of feel the same way but I think the villains are interesting and Deku and All Might's relationship is interesting. Beyond that the rest of the characters are kinda a wash for me.

Interesting. I don't find any of the villains that great. None of them seem to have any motivation (yet) for what they do. The dude with the disintegration quirk (and the hands on his face) gave some motivation, but All Might immediately says "thats a lie bro" and the dude goes "lol damn you figured me out."

The exception seems to be this new Hero Killer Stain.

Are most of the villains impoverished (which tends to be the biggest motivator for crime in the real world)? Or in this narrative are they just evil for the sake of it?

Meffer

Interesting. I don't find any of the villains that great. None of them seem to have any motivation (yet) for what they do. The dude with the disintegration quirk (and the hands on his face) gave some motivation, but All Might immediately says "thats a lie bro" and the dude goes "lol damn you figured me out."

Are most of the villains impoverished (which tends to be the biggest motivator for crime in the real world)? Or in this narrative are they just evil for the sake of it?
Wait and find out!

Permanently A

Oh sorry, I read the manga so I was talking from that perspective. The villains get a lot of development pretty soon. As of right now in the anime not so much.

NSESN

Villains are great because of their designs. They look completely different from the heroes, like if they were from a different manga/anime.

Villains are great because of their designs. They look completely different from the heroes, like if they were from a different manga/anime.

This is something Horikoshi does really well. Significant characters (villains especially) sometimes get separate styles. All Might is the recurring example, but Shiragaki gets a ton of horror notes, and Stain as y'all can see is like something out of a 90's Heavy Metal issue.

Top Bottom