• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia S2 |OT| This is Going to Stain my Hero Record. No Manga Spoilers!!!

caliph95

I don't really have any strong feelings towards Mineta one way or the other, I just think it's hilarious that people still get mad about these character types. Been in so many series that it shouldn't even matter anymore.
I'm not even mad because he keeps getting the shit kicked in and suffered for his antics

In other series, it will be reaction of "oh that mineta" plus he gets little focus

The way the character is handled does minimize that aspect of the trope, I feel. Usually the gag is structured more like:

-Guy gets an eyeful/cops a feel
-Girl gets embarrassed/humiliated
-Guy gets slapped/punched/whapped/etc

By and large, Mineta just skips straight to step 3, which makes it... well, less bad than usual, that's for sure.

Imagine if Minoru pulls that routine on someone like Toga.

LotusHD

Banned
Sure, sure. I'm just saying, as far as characters in the archetype go, Mineta's less of a drag than most. He's redeemable assuming Horikoshi is interested in developing him.

Honestly, there's just not much to say here that hasn't been said a million times. Mineta doing his thing is tiring, played out, has really never been funny, etc. etc. But like, I'd just be saying the same thing over and over if I posted about it every time we see him do his antics, so I usually just keep it to myself, and nod silently whenever I see others complain about him yet again lol

Imagine if Minoru pulls that routine on someone like Toga.

That'd be a hell of a way to write out a character.

Honestly, there's just not much to say here that hasn't been said a million times. Mineta doing his thing is tiring, played out, has really never been funny, etc. etc. But like, I'd just be saying the same thing over and over if I posted about it every time we see him do his antics, so I usually just keep it to myself, and nod silently whenever I see others complain about him yet again lol

lol.

Yeah, he's a shithead, but I guess the crux of my argument is that as much as I'm tired of the trope being seemingly requisite in anime, he's nicely minimized. If we're going to have to suffer through it (and, seemingly, we are), it's better that he's like this than most of the equivalents.

caliph95

People will keep complaining until he's dead
I wouldn't miss him

LotusHD

Banned
That'd be a hell of a way to write out a character.

lol.

Yeah, he's a shithead, but I guess the crux of my argument is that as much as I'm tired of the trope being seemingly requisite in anime, he's nicely minimized. If we're going to have to suffer through it (and, seemingly, we are), it's better that he's like this than most of the equivalents.

Sure, but as you can clearly see, telling people "It could be worse" doesn't really mean much of anything, as it is not even remotely comforting, because at the end of the day, people are still complaining about it regardless.

I wouldn't miss him

Same.

I mean, what you are arguing is kind of the point of the character. Stain has a strong moral code and his conviction does have a point, Hero Society is based on fame and prestige and it seems most heroes do it for that, not for altruism.

Then again, he fucking murders people and is a danger to society. So the entire point of his character is that he has virtue but goes wrong about how he applies it. And he is saying stuff society is already thinking, when having a powerful, good quirk makes you better than others, while having a detrimental quirk makes you feared, even if you are not bad. While a weak quirk makes you "normal", almost a second-class citizen.

He is seen as "cool" in the video because the context of the video is him standing up to his convictions and stopping heroes on their tracks. Also why the series goes out of their way to tell you he is wrong.
I take issue with the idea that a personal set of values is something that inherently garners respect regardless of their content or implementation just because an individual believes in them strongly and is capable of aggressively promoting them.

Convictions and "virtue" are meaningless without moral context. Anyone who can't make these core distinctions between right and wrong is lacking an essential aspect of decency.

But contrary to the real people, people in-universe don't know all the details.

The one time they got to see Stain outside of news reports was when he told the world that he kills to bring back the original hero spirit.

That will leave an impression on people. Villains see a man who is as sick and tired of heroes as they are, ordinary people and children see vigilante who is a huge hero fanboy.

It doesn't change that he is a mass murderer, but the fact that they got to see him, coupled with the reports that say that criminal activity actually went down in cities he was active in, changed people's cognition.

And that's why that video is always taken down and being uploaded again. The police knows that by presenting stains human side, it makes people reevaluate their opinion on him, and that's dangerous.

This is why I think that people in general (good and bad) being impressed by Stain is actually good writing. But that's only my opinion.
It's common knowledge that he doesn't just target actually corrupt heroes, as obvious from Tensei, who by all accounts is a model hero. Stain is a nutcase who makes a narrative to suit his purposes. He has zero moral authority.

As for this particular situation which inspired my initial comment, Kaminari certainly had enough information to know that a villain who nearly killed three of his classmates and seriously maimed a family member of one is probably not someone worthy of casual adulation. I don't think Kaminari is some secretly diabolical individual who let slip his true feelings, I think he's a thoughtless moron.

I don't take issue with the idea that some people are being swayed by Stain's message. I think that's entirely believable. There are many weak willed people in the world looking for a convenient vessel to hoist their frustrations upon, but that doesn't make it okay.

WHERE CAN I FIND THE CURRENT THEME SONG ON THE INTERNET?

It's all over youtube and soundcloud in the form of covers (English and Japanese) but even searching the title of the song and "official" or whatever else, I can't find a non-cover version not directly ripped from video of the show.

Joke or not he's the most common anime trope character/idea in the show. It's boring, ridiculous, pathetic, immoral and just doesn't belong in a show about characters trying to be heroes.

How in the fuck was he not kicked out of school immediately...oh wait- Japan..

Should that even be an excuse at this point though?

edit: if you think that he should be there for humor, I disagree. The show has a lot of great humor that doesn't involve the worst kind of annoying perversion.

This 1,000,000 times.

MKIL65

The most hilarious moments in the anime, doesn't even come from Mineta's perversion, It comes from the other characters.

He's supposed to be the comic relief, but he literally adds nothing to the show. He instead takes away focus from the other, more interesting characters.

LotusHD

Banned
The most hilarious moments in the anime, doesn't even come from Mineta's perversion, It comes from the other characters.

He's supposed to be the comic relief, but he literally adds nothing to the show. He instead takes away focus from the other, more interesting characters.

hK8sd99.png

SalvaPot

I take issue with the idea that a personal set of values is something that inherently garners respect regardless of their content or implementation just because an individual believes in them strongly and is capable of aggressively promoting them.

Convictions and "virtue" are meaningless without moral context. Anyone who can't make these core distinctions between right and wrong is lacking an essential aspect of decency.

It's common knowledge that he doesn't just target actually corrupt heroes, as obvious from Tensei, who by all accounts is a model hero. Stain is a nutcase who makes a narrative to suit his purposes. He has zero moral authority.

As for this particular situation which inspired my initial comment, Kaminari certainly had enough information to know that a villain who nearly killed three of his classmates and seriously maimed a family member of one is probably not someone worthy of casual adulation. I don't think Kaminari is some secretly diabolical individual who let slip his true feelings, I think he's a thoughtless moron.

I don't take issue with the idea that some people are being swayed by Stain's message. I think that's entirely believable. There are many weak willed people in the world looking for a convenient vessel to hoist their frustrations upon, but that doesn't make it okay.

Again, you are not wrong from a philosophical stand-point. But the reactions in the series are realistic and a great way to move the plot forward, don't you agree?

Again, you are not wrong from a philosophical stand-point. But the reactions in the series are realistic and a great way to move the plot forward, don't you agree?
I think it's a fine storyline to explore with potential for an interesting narrative. But I'm also saying that characters that thoughtlessly praise murderers are idiots, to say the least. If Kaminari's reaction is realistic, then he's really an imbecile.

This thread needs cleansing now.

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ajumEff.jpg[/IMG]

kirblar

The implication I always got was that the transfer was, in itself, fatal, though now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure that that was ever explicitly said.
I don't think it would be normally, but this is a guy w/ a massive hole in his abdomen and who is puking blood randomly.

Jintor

He said he was cool. That's disgusting. It's not justifiable.

My dude there are people in this very thread who think stain is dope as hell

Obviously it's muted here because fictional murder is just character stuff, but his weirdo charisma is real and present

Jintor

The thing I actually liked the least about mineta this episode was that jirou was like "why didn't he harass me" which is both gross and, like , kinda a betrayal of my interpretation of her character

My dude there are people in this very thread who think stain is dope as hell

Obviously it's muted here because fictional murder is just character stuff, but his weirdo charisma is real and present
I'm not talking how real people feel about a fictional character. I've already made that clear.

caliph95

The implication I always got was that the transfer was, in itself, fatal, though now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure that that was ever explicitly said.
I thought it was the injuries he suffered since it is making him weaker before the transfer and he keeps coughing blood

The thing I actually liked the least about mineta this episode was that jirou was like "why didn't he harass me" which is both gross and, like , kinda a betrayal of my interpretation of her character

Why doesn't senpai notice me? I hope this doesn't lead into Jirou and Minoru becoming a couple.

caliph95

Why doesn't senpai notice me? I hope this doesn't lead into Jirou and Minoru becoming a couple.

I don't think it's that but her being insecure that she wasn't attractive enough to mention

She probably has more connection
with kaminari if anything

Laiza

I feel it's strange that there are already what, eight people who inherited that power in a seemingly short time? Something's off about that.
I believe it's implied that this has happened over several generations, and that All For One's holder is just really friggin' old. Like, 'born in the 1800s' sort of old. (I assume that the illustrations in this episode were just from Deku's point of view, since All Might never set a specific time frame for his explanation.)

Speaking of, did they ever explicitly state a year when quirks first started appearing? Remember that Deku's parents apparently are the 4th generation of quirk holders in their respective families, so it's been at least a hundred years since. If All For One really was present back when quirks first started appearing, this guy is ancient.
I don't think it's that but her being insecure that she wasn't attractive enough to mention

Really tired of that insecurity being played up for laughs. Yet another aspect of this sekuhara trope that's lame and played out.

I want to say that in an Episode 3 monologue All Might mentioned retiring after One For All gets fully transferred, so I'm not sure if the transfer process is fatal on its own.

If All Might and his mentor also fought against the All For One user together, that makes it sound like All Might's mentor was still able to fight after One For All was almost or fully transferred to All Might.

I could be wrong, but so far I've had the impression that All Might is more at risk from his injuries than from transferring One For All, though it could be a combination of both.

caliph95

I guess I should explain since some are confused

All for one is from the first generation of quirk and was leader of the underground, he survived till now because he stole a quirk that stop aging at least that what All might thinks

It's been a few generations and All might the
user was the only one finally strong enough to beat him

caliph95

I want to say that in an Episode 3 monologue All Might mentioned retiring after One For All gets fully transferred, so I'm not sure if the transfer process is fatal on its own.

If All Might and his mentor also fought against the All For One user together, that makes it sound like All Might's mentor was still able to fight after One For All was almost or fully transferred to All Might.

I could be wrong, but so far I've had the impression that All Might is more at risk from his injuries than from transferring One For All, though it could be a combination of both.
Yeah All might I'm sure was mentioned getting weaker before the transfer due to his injuries

It's why he's was looking for a successor

caliph95

I'm surprised there are no robotic superheroes or villains in this universe.
They mentioned that progress stopped because of quirk but I imagine there is probably guys with tech

Though I'm guessing that's just an excuse so he can have robots and equipment and still gave resemble our world

SalvaPot

The true power of One for All.

I feel it's strange that there are already what, eight people who inherited that power in a seemingly short time? Something's off about that.

8 Generations, but they could pass it any time. If we assume most OfA were active between 10 and 20 years, that is 80 years at least and 160 at most.

Jintor

I'm not talking how real people feel about a fictional character. I've already made that clear.

sorry, i just woke up and skipped over a few pages to respond to something posted yesterday

it's a bad habit

I mean yeah obvs it was her being insecure but it's still gross

I believe it's implied that this has happened over several generations, and that All For One's holder is just really friggin' old. Like, 'born in the 1800s' sort of old. (I assume that the illustrations in this episode were just from Deku's point of view, since All Might never set a specific time frame for his explanation.)

Speaking of, did they ever explicitly state a year when quirks first started appearing? Remember that Deku's parents apparently are the 4th generation of quirk holders in their respective families, so it's been at least a hundred years since. If All For One really was present back when quirks first started appearing, this guy is ancient.
Really tired of that insecurity being played up for laughs. Yet another aspect of this sekuhara trope that's lame and played out.

When Midoriya mentions that "they could be exploring the stars by now" (or whatever) in regards to the manifestation of Quirks halting the technological and social progress of humanity, I think that means Quirks first appeared in what we would consider "modern day" (so the 20-teens or shortly after) and that it's been something like a hundred years from then. So unless I'm missing something, it seems like the show is set in 2100+. Which would still make All For One well over a century old.

Top Bottom