• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Lunar15

While I'm still not sold on Illegals as a whole, I did like how they used Aizawa's power to reveal what was up with Knuckle Duster.

That said, the whole idea of being a vigilante so they can "pre-emptively strike" is kinda fucked up. I guess that's the point, though.

caliph95

While I'm still not sold on Illegals as a whole, I did like how they used Aizawa's power to reveal what was up with Knuckle Duster.

That said, the whole idea of being a vigilante so they can "pre-emptively strike" is kinda fucked up. I guess that's the point, though.
I don't get that though he is quirk less wouldn't that mean he has another quirk that he isn't using or needs or something like Sue's where it can't be turned off. Aizawa not stopping alone doesn't mean much by itself. I'm just nitpicking this honestly.

Nightbird

There's no way in hell horikoshi wasn't inspired by zuko with todoroki. Great source, though. ATLA is a masterpiece on storytelling and character development.

He's not alone lol

nSgYELD.jpg

XeG8dY0.jpg

HA - Vigilantes 2

This isn't very good. It contradicts itself a lot and Knuckle's reasons that they had to be the ones to hunt people was fucking stupid as shit because if the Heroes knew about the drug and it's signs than they could do the same goddam thing. Pop is a straight up ass-fan-service character but it's nice that she seems to be pretty insightful. But Gentle-man saves her and she's all blushy and shit and ugh and puke and this isn't very good.

I'm being a bit harsh but man they just kept doing stuff that bugged me like almost every page.

Meffer

HA - Vigilantes 2

This isn't very good. It contradicts itself a lot and Knuckle's reasons that they had to be the ones to hunt people was fucking stupid as shit because if the Heroes knew about the drug and it's signs than they could do the same goddam thing. Pop is a straight up ass-fan-service character but it's nice that she seems to be pretty insightful. But Gentle-man saves her and she's all blushy and shit and ugh and puke and this isn't very good.

I'm being a bit harsh but man they just kept doing stuff that bugged me like almost every page.

I really like Gentle-Man's quirk since it can be utilized pretty well and its great for cities. I wonder if he can pick up speed.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Last weeks chapter makes a lot more sense with a better translation. First off Todoroki was saying that he'll never be a top hero at this rate not that they won't be able to compete against a top hero. Also they weren't saying Heat makes Wind unstable, they were saying Heat makes Wind rise. Todoroki is too weak to extend his fire power up and Inasa is too weak to attack from that range. They are uniting their powers not just for a fusion attack but just so their own damn abilities can even hit Orca. Also they are specifically going with a fire spin to trap Orca (from helping his men like Orca said he was going to do).

I really like Gentle-Man's quirk since it can be utilized pretty well and its great for cities. I wonder if he can pick up speed.

Oh, I actually do like his and her quirks, I think they're interesting because they're not very strong at all but you could use them in interesting ways and also see why they turned to vigilantism instead of heroics as they probably wouldn't make it.

The actual set up of a team with mediocre (and no) powers is pretty tight. I just haven't cared for the execution because Horikoshi is a MUCH better writer and this is kinda tripping on a lot of tropes that Horikoshi avoids generally.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yeah I'm trying to gauge how fast Gentleman's ability is. I'm also hoping he just needs to train with it to either go faster or expand the ability.

We know it is apparently faster than normal walking or even running but possibly as slow as a granny bicycle. This latter thing could just be made out of an insult and not reality or he could be going slow not to hit people. It's apparently also able to glide on anything including the sides of buildings. I wonder if the three point thing is really a restriction or he hasn't just tested his abilities.

WarRock

From where I stand, Todoroki still should pass - or at least not fail because of the poor showing with Inasa - but Inasa should fail. Besides that, I'm kinda surprised Bakugou didn't appear with guns blazing.

And I need to know what Mineta and Jirou are doing in the rescue teams )=

Veelk

Banned
It depends how much the error is weighed against them. Given the grievousness of it, it should be a lot. But if they get like a 40 point reduction, they're still in the running without necessarily failing.

Spinx

Inasa and Todo failed. Everyone REJOICE !

I love the pacing in this manga. It's like anti One Piece.

Does anyone care for spoilers ?

Orca is praising Todoroki and Inasa for their teamwork, but that doesn't change their foolishness from before
Orca's men want to assist him, as a dry area made by the flames is his weakness, but Todoroki stops them with his ice
Deku and Ojiro come to aid Todoroki and Inasa
Tokoyami, Ashido and other students arrive too, after they brought the civilians to safety
Tsuyu is using a new technique that allows her to blend in with her surroundings
Shaggy (big hairy guy from Shiketsu) assists her
Orca erases the fire prison made by Todoroki and Inasa
Orca: So? What's next?
But Todoroki and Inasa can't answer
Deku: STAY AWAY FROM THEM!
Deku kicks Orca and the test ends here
Orca's men apologize to the students for their behavior
They used special suits for this battle and went a bit overboard
Mera announces the results of the exam

Deku, Mineta and Momo find their names on the board
Inasa searches for his name
Inasa: I am... not there... I thought so...
Inasa and Todoroki's names aren't on the list

caliph95

Orca is praising Todoroki and Inasa for their teamwork, but that doesn't change their foolishness from before
Orca's men want to assist him, as a dry area made by the flames is his weakness, but Todoroki stops them with his ice
Tokoyami, Ashido and other students arrive too, after they brought the civilians to safety
Tsuyu is using a new technique that allows her to blend in with her surroundings
Thank god for consequences.
For better or worse unlike One Piece, the pacing is the best part of MHA. While we don't get as much to breathe as we need to. It stopped the manga from dragging it's feet which can be bad in stuff like One piece and Bleach. Especially Bleach and one piece too is bad about it.

Deku, Mineta and Momo find their names on the board
Inasa searches for his name
Inasa: I am... not there... I thought so...
Inasa and Todoroki's names aren't on the list

Just incase
The madman actually did it based hori is a blessing

Test was scored on a point deduction system where you start with full marks and only go down. So it isn't surprising those two failed, since they probably had long past the failure point by the time they pulled their shit together

Ascheroth

Fantastic chapter, that made me retroactively like the last chapter more, seeing as their sudden turnaround heroic combo attack didn't turn things around for them.
Hurray for consequences!

tsKls9z.png

Continuing to be the scariest artist in shonen I see.

The best.

He actually did it.
I thought for a bit it wouldnt happen cause of the sleepy guy saying if they dont pull themselves together they're out.

I love Hori.

Gang Orcas so BADASS and that panel was great.

Nice to see Tsuyu got an upgrade but i want Ojiro to get something too. He showed up in like two panels fighting. He must be crazy strong naturally to have made it this far with his tail.

Lunar15

Good stuff. What a fun arc, and perfectly paced too.

Gang Orca was badass, but we didn't really get to see what he was capable of. In due time, I guess.

I really love when the pro heroes interact with the main cast.

Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

This is perfect. It is how it should have gone down.

Great chapter with Gang Orca looking like a fucking BOSS and a nice showing of some new abilities as well as some other students from other schools.

But most importantly Windy and Todoroki didn't pass and that is so much better than them passing. Just think about how Todoroki must feel and how Endeavor is going to react. It is so much stronger for the development of Todoroki's character for him to not earn his license.

Mineta also succeeded so ha ha ha, that's gotta sting.

Needed more Ashido.

Maximo

Yes.

Yes yes yes yes yes.

This is perfect. It is how it should have gone down.

Great chapter with Gang Orca looking like a fucking BOSS and a nice showing of some new abilities as well as some other students from other schools.

But most importantly Windy and Todoroki didn't pass and that is so much better than them passing. Just think about how Todoroki must feel and how Endeavor is going to react. It is so much stronger for the development of Todoroki's character for him to not earn his license.

Mineta also succeeded so ha ha ha, that's gotta sting.

Needed more Ashido.

Yep glad they didn't pass both need growing up and getting past their own issues, in a real scenario someone could have died no excuse for that.

It's been clear since his introduction that Todoroki needs serious long term therapy to deal with his shit, 2-3 months post "I can finally not completely despise my father in all aspects" isn't enough, and Inasa is supremely physically talented but allowed his own personal feelings to get in the way of doing what would be his job if he got that license, being a hero.

I love how neither passed and I hope there is no "but you get a special exemption!" chapter next week or something. Just let them lag behind the others in that manner and develop in their own way instead of forcing everybody to move from step to step together.

I love this book.

It'll also give Horikoshi a realistic excuse to have Todoroki be on the backburner for a while and start developing another character. I know it's not necessary to make all your ensemble cast members a main character but his strength is making them all feel important and shine so this gives a reason that you could not see a lot of Todoroki despite being such a strong and popular character. Or he could just spend 10 chapters on Todoroki's issues y'know whatevers

Veelk

Banned
So lets talk about something I've been throwing around in my mind for a bit.

The world of MHA. MHA is very much a character driven story. The past is only relevant as far as characters go. Thus far, we haven't really stumbled on anything to the effect of "These are the ruins of a great battle between this one legendary hero of the past" or anything like that. The only significance of the past is personal stuff like All Might's mentor.

The only real piece of worldbuilding we got was at the very beginning of the first chapter, where the narration explained that, one day, a random miracle occurred and now everyone just got random powers, which can be anything from an extra appendage to things seem to defy the laws of physics.

Obviously, this set up is most influenced by the X-men. Random mutation spreads and everyone gets random powers. However, it removes all the social issues that the X-men assign to the mutations. The vast majority of the population has quirks. And despite there being some kind of genetic component to it, the vast heterogeneity of quirks mean that any sense of prejudice seems to have been effectively eliminated. Ashido and Tokoyami's unusual looks aren't remarked upon as unusual, and even Kouda, and Shouji who look more inhuman than most aren't treated any differently for it.

In a lot of ways, it feels like the promised land of equality that the X-men characters are always striving for, which is an interesting placement. Which isn't to say what X-men does isn't interesting, but it's somewhat refreshing to get an X-men story where all the social issues have actually been resolved by the time the characters arrive on the scene, leaving only personal drama to drive the narrative. The closest that it comes to a social change is the wide spread public perception of All Might being revealed as having lost his quirk, and even the narrative mostly centers around All Might himself and the main characters that looked up to him as opposed to the larger public sphere.

Still, given how skilled the author is at executing all other aspects of the story, it makes me curious to consider how he would handle larger world events in a different story.

Top Bottom