• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DrForester said:
pTRU1-10816898_alternate1_dt.jpg
The real question is, what to repaint the worthless recolors

Duplicate Rarity - Luna (the hair is a huge stretch)
Duplicate Pinkie - NOTHING, unless I trust my plastic sculpting skills to turn it into a Doctor Hooves
Duplicate Dash - Derpy
Duplicate Fluttershy - Spitfire? Grown Scootaloo?
Duplicate AJ - Bonbon
Duplicate Twilight - Lyra

I would switch the last two for closer hairstyles, but only Twilight has the horn.

FoxSpirit

I know this has nothing to do with MLP.

But it was the first thing I thought of when reading it. All about friendship and forgiving the fuck out of people:

DzNXL.jpg

OMG Aero

Just a quick reminder that tonight's stream, The End of Flutter Valley, starts in about an hour.
I hope we get to see more flutter ponies being jerks.

Theonik

OMG Aero said:
Just a quick reminder that tonight's stream, The End of Flutter Valley, starts in about an hour.
I hope we get to see more flutter ponies being jerks.
And more ill perfectly timed video cut-offs.

BDGAME

mj1108 said:
I certainly hope that you corrected their Pony placements on that display. They got 3 of 4 ponies wrong.

Sure, I enter in a random Macdonald's like this and tell for the attendance: Look here sir, it is wrong! How can you miss the right place to put any pony? Its unacceptable that you put Twilight in the place of Apple Jack and... hey sir, look here and stop laugh!"

Yep, sure.

Sblargh said:
A curiosity that came up with the recently. Does PonyGAF enjoy twee?
It's basically girly music, but bla bla bla hipster. I think it fits.
Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBa07wBZ7E (Cub - Magic 8 Ball)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SJS7OOZi8 (Heavenly - Trophy Girlfriend)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIppK6kDCUM (Field Mice - Emma's House)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI10BIdpMSM (Tullycraft - Molly's Got a Crush on Us)

Twee is the style of music? huh.

I don't really have any comments about the music but that Field Mice video seems to have a cover by a band named 'Seapony."

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
akira28 said:
Yeah, lose the bit about 20% cooler, to make it 20% more efficient. Also, needs Vader's Imperial March.

I'd get rid of Paragraph 2. And change the OT 2 description to "One even More Great And Powerful and at least 20% cooler..."

BDGAME

Ok, I finally finish to read this topic (or see the pictures and videos post here). Awesome topic with a lot of good information and excellent members.

Now I remember that I actually never made my top characters. And to not became something repetitive, I will do it of a little different way.

So, in the main characters, I want/my top is:

1 - Take a long talking with Twilight Sparkles about Magic, Equestria and Friendship.
2 - Buy a manly tuxedo from Rarity.
2 - Fly around all Ponyville with Rainbow Dash
2 - Give a warm Huge in Fluttershy and play with all little friends of her.
2 - Go in an awesome Party made by Pinkie Pie
3 - Buy the best apples and apple related stuff from Apple Jack.

And in the rest of cast:
1 - Give my condolences to Princess Celestia.
2 - Lear with Zecora How to rhyme and make phrases with rhythm.
3 - Be a little troll to cute mark crusaders. *trollface*
4 - See a beautiful night together with princess Luna
5 - have a nice day with all the other characters from MLP FIM

Ok, so a straight guy like me write something like this ... this series really has to be magic or something. hehehe

BDGAME

Sblargh said:
A curiosity that came up with the recently. Does PonyGAF enjoy twee?
It's basically girly music, but bla bla bla hipster. I think it fits.
Examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDBa07wBZ7E (Cub - Magic 8 Ball)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6SJS7OOZi8 (Heavenly - Trophy Girlfriend)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIppK6kDCUM (Field Mice - Emma's House)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI10BIdpMSM (Tullycraft - Molly's Got a Crush on Us)

I like it. But i can't understand the lyric for now (I have difficulties to understand English in some musics in the first time I hear them)

Sblargh said:
No Rarity or Fluttershy? Why?! :(

Look the numbers in front of the name.

akira28

Depends on how twee is twee. I like bands like The Pains or Los Campesinos, some describe them as twee-pop, thought I always just considered them just brightside indy.

Sblargh

Banned
BDGAME said:
I like it. But i can't understand the lyric for now (I have difficulties to understand English in some musics in the first time I hear them)

Look the numbers in front of the name.

Eu entendo. :)
Well, here is cub's lyrics http://www.gugalyrics.com/MAGIC-8-BALL-CUB-LYRICS/418063/ the rest can be googled, it's just that this one was in a tab already here. :p

akira28 said:
Depends on how twee is twee. I like bands like The Pains or Los Campesinos, some describe them as twee-pop, thought I always just considered them just brightside indy.

I think brightside indie is a good name for it also. That's why I think it fits with MLP; it tries (but it fails sometimes) to be cinicism-free.
The Pains is The Pains of Being Pure at Heart? What they do is almost Pastels cover.
Here is Pastels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shnXuSP8pPs (Crawl Babies)

Hexadecimalt said:
Usually, no, but I really liked that Field Mice song.

Edit: I too like Los Campisinos: Drop It Doe Eyes

That song is one of my favorites of all time, the idea of being Emma's House even when she doesn't live there is the kind of simplicity that really drawns me to the genre.

Narag

Skiptastic said:
I'm more shocked that you guys haven't replaced STAR WARS with LITTLE PONY or something along those lines. I mean, really.

It'd probably be better off as 'FORUM WARS' or something.

akira28

DrForester said:
I'd get rid of Paragraph 2. And change the OT 2 description to "One even More Great And Powerful and at least 20% cooler..."

I'd probably lose any references to any guerrilla PonyGAF war tactics to spread Pony love, because that's not what we do... it's just what we're accused of. Now as soon as my watch shift is over, I'll climb down from out of this tree, sheathe my tomahawk, reset all my traps, and explain exactly what I...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't know what it is, but that comic seems to lack the charm of DM Of The Rings and Darths and Droids. It's taking the source material to literally.

And I suspect more "trollestia" slander is incoming.

akira28

I certainly hope so. The true, terrible, burning face of Empress Star must be visible to all before the calm visage of Princess Luna can make things night again..er i mean right again.

(I like it, a few loops here and there wouldn't be bad though.)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
akira28 said:
I certainly hope so. The true, terrible, burning face of Empress Star must be visible to all before the calm visage of Princess Luna can make things night again..er i mean right again.

(I like it, a few loops here and there wouldn't be bad though.)
Best part of being on team Celestia is we're 100% backed by show cannon and we can also like Luna.

PBalfredo

Jintor said:
Probably posted before while I was busy, but:

Friendship is Dragons, a webcomic series in the vein of DM of the Rings and Darth & Droids.
This reminds me. A while ago I ran a short custom game of DnD with a scenerio based off of the episode Dragonshy. On the way up the mountain, the party managed to set off two avalanches and one adventurer nearly fell down the pitifully narrow crevice. When they got to the dragon, they tried talking to the dragon at first (which surprised me since this was a party that massacred an inn earlier in the session because they didn't want to pay). It went well at first and they were close to convincing the dragon to leave, but then the party's Blackguard (a paladin who's evil for the sake of evil) assumed that all dragons are evil alignment, and tried to gain the dragon's trust by explaining they were both on Team Evil. Negotiations broke down and another party member pulled a Rainbow Dash, starting a fight. They slew the dragon, but not without a party member dying.

So basically, ponies > DnD adventure party.

akira28

DrForester said:
Best part of being on team Celestia is we're 100% backed by show cannon and we can also like Luna.

You might get canon but I still get to enjoy the hell out of our underground resistance fantasies and our weekly covert 'Queen Luna' meetings under the Moon. The once and future queen even brings dessert sometimes.

Orcastar

So someone uploaded on official Finnish dub of the Ticket Master on Youtube.

My Little Pony: Ystävyyden Taikaa ep.3 Kallisarvoiset Pääsyliput osa 1
My Little Pony: Ystävyyden Taikaa ep.3 Kallisarvoiset Pääsyliput osa 2

And how is it? Horrible, as expected. They basically screwed up everything they could with this. The characters all sound almost exactly the same, they all talk almost exactly the same and they left the names untranslated so they sound extremely awkward mixed in with the Finnish (to be fair no translating the names is Hasbro's decision, but still).

This kind of thing just pisses me off, especially since the voice acting is so great in English and really adds to the characterization. In English, Rainbow Dash sounds like a tomboy, Rarity sounds sophisticated, AJ has that adorable southern accent and so on, but it's all gone in the Finnish dub. Hell, they even stripped Pinkie of all her hyperactivity. And it's not just that the characters sound terrible, they also talk in this literally translated "Finglish" that just grates your ears. This isn't ponies talking, it's terrible voice actors reading their poorly translated lines from a paper in front of them and not giving a shit.

All this is made even more aggravating by the fact that someone has been making unofficial Finnish subtitles to the series for a while now that are superior in every way to the official dub. While not quite professional quality in terms of timing and line lengths, they still manage to convey each pony's distinctive personality through the text alone (AJ has a "country" accent, Dash speaks more colloquially, etc.), translate most of the jokes and even came up with really good Finnish names for everyone.

The subbed episodes can be found here if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/ponisuomalaiset

Now I know most of you don't care about this, but I just wanted to vent a bit. Being a language professional myself this kind of thing just really irks me sometimes. I really hoped they would do a good job with My Little Pony, but they just ruined it, as usual. As it is now, when the show eventually airs in Finland, it won't gather any new adult fans because the dub just loses so much of the charm and makes it seem like any other crappy children's show.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Orcastar said:
Now I know most of you don't care about this, but I just wanted to vent a bit. Being a language professional myself this kind of thing just really irks me sometimes. I really hoped they would do a good job with My Little Pony, but they just ruined it, as usual. As it is now, when the show eventually airs in Finland, it won't gather any new adult fans because the dub just loses so much of the charm and makes it seem like any other crappy children's show.
You should start a writing campaign, find their offices, and pitch tent for a protest.

At least you guys got the song dubbed, but wow, the voices all sound the same D:

Acerac said:
Bit of a non sequitur here, but I just want to thank everyone in this thread for keeping it going. I know I'm not a regular poster here as typically have little to contribute, but seeing this thread going as strong as it has has made my day on a number of occasions. It's a rare reminder that sometimes people can be awesome, and stopping in and seeing the funny images posted in this thread has made my day brighter on more than one occasion.

Though I might not be the most exemplary PonyGAF poster, I try to do what I can to keep the fanbase strong. Despite all the hate you receive, know that you are making a real difference in people's lives. As silly and overbaked as it sounds, I've never had a group I consistently knew I could depend on for support as much as I know I can depend on all of you. With all the difficulties and frustrations I face in my every day life, knowing there is some place I can go that will provide me only with smiles is nothing short of amazing.

Thank you.

I really shouldn't post when I'm drunk.
I'm a bit late on this but yeah, I love PonyGAF. It's harboured a friendly atmosphere and I felt welcomed from the very start, and it's the only real sub-culture of GAF that I truly feel a part of, even if I just lurk most of the time. I really should start joining in on some of the synchtube/TF2 stuff more often but I'm usually busy doing stuff or just lazy. Though as much as my friends seem to dislike my enjoyment of MLP, and a lot of GAF seems to scoff at it without giving it a fair shake, it's nice to come here to chat, create, laugh and share things about a goofy little show about ponies that we've all come to watch and love.

I would probably pop into IRC sometime, but I find having realtime discussion available to me at all times just distracts me from everything else. It's like a black hole for my already low productivity.

Anyhoo you guys are rad.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
akira28 said:
You might get canon but I still get to enjoy the hell out of our underground resistance fantasies and our weekly covert 'Queen Luna' meetings under the Moon. The once and future queen even brings dessert sometimes.

But on Team Celestia they're both friends and they both bring snacks to the meetings :)

Orcastar said:

And how is it? Horrible, as expected. They basically screwed up everything they could with this. The characters all sound almost exactly the same, they all talk almost exactly the same and they left the names untranslated so they sound extremely awkward mixed in with the Finnish (to be fair no translating the names is Hasbro's decision, but still).

This kind of thing just pisses me off, especially since the voice acting is so great in English and really adds to the characterization. In English, Rainbow Dash sounds like a tomboy, Rarity sounds sophisticated, AJ has that adorable southern accent and so on, but it's all gone in the Finnish dub. Hell, they even stripped Pinkie of all her hyperactivity. And it's not just that the characters sound terrible, they also talk in this literally translated "Finglish" that just grates your ears. This isn't ponies talking, it's terrible voice actors reading their poorly translated lines from a paper in front of them and not giving a shit.

All this is made even more aggravating by the fact that someone has been making unofficial Finnish subtitles to the series for a while now that are superior in every way to the official dub. While not quite professional quality in terms of timing and line lengths, they still manage to convey each pony's distinctive personality through the text alone (AJ has a "country" accent, Dash speaks more colloquially, etc.), translate most of the jokes and even came up with really good Finnish names for everyone.

The subbed episodes can be found here if anyone's interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/ponisuomalaiset

At least you already know its shit, Im waiting in spain for the dub version that could be awesome or completly shit (theres no middle term) depending the studio that dubs it (most possibly one of the studios that uses cartoon network here, what gives it a chance of being good), and in the internet is states that is airing in september in channel Boing (a cartoon free channel), and Im watching it all this days when I eat and there no ads or anything whatsoever (and the ads for returning to school cartoons are already airing), and im fed up watching the same cartoons all the time (mostly repeats of Doraemon) airing always when I watch.
If its really comming in september, the series has to be already dub, but i dont find a thing about it in the internets. They have probably postponed for october as Im seeing no movement of it. I really like when series have a really good dub here, so Im really waiting to hear what they do with it.
We have the translated opening and I suppose its done for the toy commercials here, there is only one voice singing and its shit.
EDIT: Official Hasbro page says is airing right now, and at the bottom says september in Boing. Seems the channel hasnt get the memo yet :lol

Orcastar said:

Sounds to me like [official] Finland has a nasty habit of bad dubbing, and should be forbidden from ever dubbing again.

I won't bother checking it out for fear of wanting to mutilating my own eardrums...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom