• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xadhoom

Neo Member
Orcastar said:
So someone uploaded on official Finnish dub of the Ticket Master on Youtube.
That guy has also uploaded the Swedish and Danish versions (I'm guessing it's only a question of time until the Norwegian dub surfaces), and I'm afraid that the danish one isn't much better. The Swedish one seems to be the best of the bunch, although that may not exactly be the best compliment in the world. They also seem to have experimented a bit with the chorus in the opening song in that one.

I've been trying to make a season poster for Friendship is Magic for thetvdb.com, as it is currently lacking one.

My photoshop-fu is a little weak at the moment, so I figure I could either make one that's not so great, or I could reach out to some of the talented people here to make one (hell, somebody here probably has already made one). The poster has to be 400x578 pixels and should have the MLP logo and should say "season one" somewhere on it. If you want to make one, you can upload it on the site (registration just takes a few seconds) or I could upload it for you.

I guess the database will probably need a poster for season 2 as well pretty soon.

McNum

The Danish one, as far as I can tell, is pretty much as I expected. That is not as good as the English one, but not terrible either. The puns are actually not bad and good on them to sidestep the "Buzzards that really buzz!" pun, because that one cannot work in Danish. The voices are the usual suspects, as in I've heard them before, but can't remember who's who.

Twilight's voice could have worked, but it's too loud, and needs a bit more emotion.
Rarity and Pinkie Pie should have switched. Pinkie needs to sound like she's half-squeaky toy, and Rarity does not.
Applejack and Rainbow Dash are workable. So is Spike. I've heard that voice for Spike several times before, but it works.
Fluttershy, though, is good. Really, they got Fluttershy right. Need to hear her raise her voice, but that isn't in this episode.
The background ponies are questionable, though. Especially one of them. Wow.

The intro song. Hmm... yeah. I'm half impressed they managed to make any kind of Danish song fit the melody, but it's not that good. Pinkie's song isn't that good either, but it's Pinkie's voice. I want to hear how they handled the bigger songs now, like Winter Wrap Up and At the Gala. That'll be... fun. Actually, I wonder what they translated "Winter Wrap Up" to in the first place.

Overall, it's what I thought it would be. Unfortunately, if it doesn't say "Disney" on the front or is an original Danish cartoon, this is what we get. (The Danish version of Cars is exceptionally good, I prefer it to the English one, for instance.) Granted, the English dub for Friendship is Magic sets the bar very high, but I had hoped better.

Orcastar

SparksterMeta0 said:
Sounds to me like [official] Finland has a nasty habit of bad dubbing, and should be forbidden from ever dubbing again.

I won't bother checking it out for fear of wanting to mutilating my own eardrums...
Finnish dubbing isn't all bad, but the bad ones definitely outweigh the good ones. Disney movies tend to be bearable and some are even pretty good in Finnish, though I still prefer to watch them in English. Most cartoon dubs however are just horrible. Well except Moomins, but that doesn't count since it's Finnish (actually it's a Japanese/Finnish anime, but I digress). But yeah, that Japanese fandub is infinitely better than the official Finnish one...

And I feel like ranting a bit more, so I'll add that the Finnish theme song is also crap, being almost unintelligible when sung and making no sense once you do actually figure out the words. Also, they translated "Grand Galloping Gala" as "Great Annual Party", which sounds exactly as generic in Finnish as it does translated back to English.

burningranger

Neo Member
So here's an interesting little tidbit I learned today. Matt Hill is going to be a convention near me in November called Daishocon which is in Central Wisconsin near where I live. Matt Hill voices Soarin in FiM (as well as Kevin from Captain N and other roles) so I might be able to get him to say something for PonyGaf in Soarin's voice and capture it on camera if you guys like. Any particular lines you can think of you'd like me to have him say if I can meet him?

McNum

Xadhoom said:
Yeah, I know exactly which one you're referring to. Wow, indeed.
If that had been in the English version, it would have been an instant meme.

But on the happy side, an official Danish dub can mean only one thing: An official Danish release date is coming soon. I'll have to watch it, probably in Danish for the laughs. Digital cable with multilingual support. Gotta love it.

PBalfredo

When looking at foreign dubs, it's always odd when they don't translate the character's names. Especially since the names are just normal words paired together. It should be the easiest thing to translate.

Anyway.

I saw this and though about our favorite Synchtube technician
53583%20-%20Computer_Repair%20I_AM_NOT_GOOD_WITH_THE_COMPUTER_MACHINES%20derpy_hooves%20plush.jpg

Jintor

Rarity's japanese voice is legit incredible. I don't know much Japanese but I know enough to detect the difference in her language.

Sblargh

Banned
314778_129507397146662_100002622070755_152219_903691_n.jpg

Brazilian happy meal toys! :)
No Fluttershy nor Rarity (our favorites), but Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash are also cool and maybe waiting for the day I can tolerate again that horrible expensive food.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Hexadecimalt said:
This is awesome.

DrForester said:
ZealousD said:
Woooooow

TouchMyBox said:
If we all were watching this, we'd get 20% less hate in the OT.
Its agreed them: we'll link to the Japanese fandub in the new OT when we move to OT.

Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMXq-yVarTw#t=1m25s

wow, lol

The japanese fandub is pretty impressive. The worst part of it is the quality of volume and mics they use, but the voices are really incredible.

Well, seems that cartoon networks channel for preschoolers is the one airing right now MLP in Spain (started september 1). As any one watches that channel, as you have to pay and is a piece of shit (thanks cartoon network for not putting it in the main channel *ironic*, its going to be fun 3 year old children watching nightmare fuel Party of one, becuase thats the only audience the channel has) no one in the internet knew of it oh has record it to know how is the dub.
How can I know about this, well, a friend contacted me on steam this afternoon telling me he watched with his girlfriend while he flipped channels a scene of the second episode in that shitty channel, when rarity cut her tail to make a moustache for the dragon. I asked him how was the dub, and he said it looked to be ok, but he didnt pay close attetion. But becuase his a great friend tomorrow he is going to record for me part of an episode with the cam (dont have any other means, but worse is nothing) as he will have acces to cable tv and know at which hour starts.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
DrForester said:
Shipping and grim dark are the worst things about fandom. Best to just ignore them

Oh how I try.

akira28

Party with Pinkie is freaking nice. Pony parties and Pony mix CDs, I wonder how many bronies are having pony parties at university? With co-ed fillies I mean, and hope.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When is the S2 OT going up?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
EatChildren said:
When is the S2 OT going up?

When we have accumulated enough rule 34 material...

I MEAN A WEEK BEFORE SEASON 2 AIRS.

... at least that's what I'm assuming. Ask the good Dr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom