• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxSpirit

The recent turns of events left me a tad sad. It seems the community is in decline. Not in activity, not in love of the show. But in love, tolerance and friendship.
Remember the good times? When we had people like Jenga? Everpony would stand together, made lighthearted jokes and the best effort to demonstrate that this fandom was a bit more than just people obsessing about Ponies.
Now it feels like a church in maturity. Suddenly strict lines are drawn and calls about purity of fanart abound. Maybe even for a purge. Was the comic Panda posted really so bad? Sure, one panel was a bit graphic but aside from that it was good natured fun with a daaawwww ending.
http://i.imgur.com/fmadn.jpg
Daaaawwwww.

Remember the times when everybody simply lightly joked about Panda and Belle Eve and even drew comics? The very reason Panda has the Avatar he has right now? It came from a time when the Ponies here still were adamant that as long as it wasn't in very bad taste, having fun was allowed. We accepted.

Nowadays you can draw fanart about RainbowDash after a fight, a bloody and gritty mess but even a suggestion about "that other thing" leads to rioting. And not from trolls. Not from Jenga. From you guys.

Bronies, I am disappoint :-(

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Thnikkaman said:
Welcome back, my friend. How are you after your absence?

WusAA.png

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
FoxSpirit said:
The recent turns of events left me a tad sad. It seems the community is in decline. Not in activity, not in love of the show. But in love, tolerance and friendship.
Remember the good times? When we had people like Jenga? Everpony would stand together, made lighthearted jokes and the best effort to demonstrate that this fandom was a bit more than just people obsessing about Ponies.
Now it feels like a church in maturity. Suddenly strict lines are drawn and calls about purity of fanart abound. Maybe even for a purge. Was the comic Panda posted really so bad? Sure, one panel was a bit graphic but aside from that it was good natured fun with a daaawwww ending.
Daaaawwwww.

Remember the times when everybody simply lightly joked about Panda and Belle Eve and even drew comics? The very reason Panda has the Avatar he has right now? It came from a time when the Ponies here still were adamant that as long as it wasn't in very bad taste, having fun was allowed. We accepted.

Nowadays you can draw fanart about RainbowDash after a fight, a bloody and gritty mess but even a suggestion about "that other thing" leads to rioting. And not from trolls. Not from Jenga. From you guys.

FoxSpirit
Completely misunderstood when other kids told him Jessica Rabbit was hot, but wanked all the same.
(Today, 05:22 AM)
Reply | Quote

OMG Aero

CHEEZMO™ said:
http://i.imgur.com/y9ziR.jpg
This is the best new page post. Welcome back Cheezmo.
FoxSpirit said:
Sure, one panel was a bit graphic but aside from that it was good natured fun with a daaawwww ending.
Daaaawwwww.
The main thing that annoys me about this is the name, it's so awkward to say. Where does the sphere come from? Is it a reference to something? Is it supposed to sound like distorts fear?
I MUST KNOW ALL THE THINGS
3ruCy.gif

judhudson

So there is an ask Pinkie and Fluttershy tumblr - both are awesome. Wonder if there is any more (and kudos on the creator for having time to manage both).

Orcastar

judhudson said:
So there is an ask Pinkie and Fluttershy tumblr - both are awesome. Wonder if there is any more (and kudos on the creator for having time to manage both).
There's a pretty good Twilight Sparkle one. Not as HNNNNNNNGH-worthy as the Fluttershy and Pinkie ones, but she has some pretty adorkable moments. And the following post...

;_;

FoxSpirit said:
Daaaawwwww.

Clearly bronies have gone the way of the Flutterbitch...
flutterstomp_by_metalbeersolid-d4b5j1t.gif

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I don't like shipping muchforthe samereasoni dislike trollestia and grimdark stuff,it goes in direct contradiction to the established show and cannon. I like the show just fine without fans trying to change everything.

PBalfredo

judhudson said:
Ask pony Tumblr round-up time?

The best one has already been mentioned (ask twilight sparkle) but I also like Ask the Pie Sisters. It's cute and very informative about the inner workings of rock farms.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
DrForester said:
I don't like shipping muchforthe samereasoni dislike trollestia and grimdark stuff,it goes in direct contradiction to the established show and cannon. I like the show just fine without fans trying to change everything.
But they're not trying to change everything. It's just playing "what if", even if some fans take it a little too far.

Orcastar

DrForester said:
I don't think most people who are into shipping, grimdark or any other type of "questionable" fan material for that matter really want to change the show. They're just thought experiments and "what if" scenarios. I could be wrong of course, can't speak for everyone.

I'm not really into shipping, but I that comic was funny enough. And little Distort Sphere, an affront to nature as he is, is undeniably adorable.

CHEEZMO™ said:
http://i.imgur.com/y9ziR.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Welcome back, Cheez.

[QUOTE=FoxSpirit]Nowadays you can draw fanart about RainbowDash after a fight, a bloody and gritty mess but even a suggestion about "that other thing" leads to rioting. And not from trolls. Not from Jenga. From you guys.[/QUOTE]

I don't post as much as I used to, but I'll just say that I, for one, am just as likely to say I dislike your fanart example. It's not fair to say we have to like everything. I believe it's detrimental to say we can't be critical of things we think are off or bad. It's in doing this that we can achieve a better understanding of what our preferences are.

[QUOTE=Slamtastic]OCs you say?

"Faster Than Light Flameboom"[/QUOTE]

Terminal velocity really has nothing to do with what she's doing, that deals with free-fall, not accelerated motion. [URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2011/sep/22/faster-than-light-particles-neutrinos"]And apparently physicists might've found a faster than light neutrino.[/URL]

Narag

FoxSpirit said:
Daaaawwwww.

Community is fine. Sure there's more internal bickering but that par for the course when people with different tastes approach the binding common interest with various levels of respect. Some will be offended some won't and that sort of thing was existed since the art vs fanfic debate of yore.

If anything I like to think the community has matured a bit, abandoned the fursecution complex, and can persist through good and bad.

As far as Jenga and whatnot, he wasn't entirely wrong at times and it'd behoove us (lulz) to address the message rather the messenger.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Narag said:
Community is fine. Sure there's more internal bickering but that par for the course when people with different tastes approach the binding common interest with various levels of respect. Some will be offended some won't and that sort of thing was existed since the art vs fanfic debate of yore.

If anything I like to think the community has matured a bit, abandoned the fursecution complex, and can persist through good and bad.

As far as Jenga and whatnot, he wasn't entirely wrong at times and it'd behoove us (lulz) to address the message rather the messenger.

Pretty good summation of how I feel about the issue; wherein in fact I hardly feel that there is an "issue" at all.

Families fight about preferences, desires, and stupid stuff all the time, but we're all bound together by one thing: ponies.

So long as we don't go out of our way to explicitly offend one another, I don't think there will be a problem worth contemplating.

Ikael

FoxSpirit said:

* Snip *

Aw, come ooooon. I am all for inclusivity (have no problem with human ponies and the like), but I think that some of you guys have a penchant for overdramatization. Here, have a hug instead of the world's tiniest violin

dfdd746b-d5f0-4357-8b96-a84827d80535.jpg

Orcastar said:
I don't think most people who are into shipping, grimdark or any other type of "questionable" fan material for that matter really want to change the show. They're just thought experiments and "what if" scenarios. I could be wrong of course, can't speak for everyone.

I think it can be amusing to graft tropes onto the show that could be inserted but aren't because of the intended audience and general tone of the show. Ask Pinkamina's so great because the incredibly cheerful party animal turning axe murder insane is a trope that's easily enough applicable to Pinkie Pie, and the show even obliquely explored it in Party of One; the fandom just turned it to 11. Pinkie and Dash's interactions in Griffon the Brush Off closely enough approximate certain tropes in shojou-ai stuff from anime, despite being completely innocent, that exploring the characters in a different setting is interesting. The fanon characterizations of Luna and Celestia have little in the way of direct textual evidence for them but a lot in the way of potentially exploitable tropes that would be used in a different show with a different tone.

The best fanon's got at least its toe dipped in reality, which is why I find the woobification of Discord completely mysterious.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Uchip said:
Jesus guys.... this thread is on a one way trip to locksville
maybe if you weren't such a downer there wouldn't be a problem.

someone needs to buy the slugbox pinup pony-girl artbook and pm it to eatchildren.

Slugbox's stuff is too hybrid/furryish for my tastes.

It comes back to the whole "full pony or full human" thing from a while back in here.

McNum

Regulus Tera said:
95ca291f07c0fd1f148200da22e58932-d464d6h.jpg

hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh
So we have the cutest Zelda yet, and then she's turned into a pink pony. D'aawwww. I'd say she should have been a pegasus, but that'd make her bird unemployed, and we can't have that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom