• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link Man

Banned
steamboat_pinkie__1928_by_samueleallen-d4ckk55.jpg

http://samueleallen.deviantart.com/art/Steamboat-Pinkie-1928-262979321

PBalfredo

Amibguous Cad said:
Speaking of which, has anyone else been reading Fallout Equestria? I've been reading a lot of it recently (up to chapter 36) and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Normally with fanfiction, a decent fic would be one where I come out of it thinking "Well, I didn't cringe too much." But this is different. It's really is quite good. I'd sit down to read a bit and find myself thinking "just one more chapter". It's also inspired me to play through Fallout 3 again.

edit: Also, the common fan depiction of LittlePip is adorable
a_fallout_equestria_icon_by_sbeaumont-d48y8jh.png

Acerac

Banned
Furret said:
What are you an apologist for Hasbro? Even with the hair done right it still doesn't look much like Dashie. None of them do and that's not even mentioning Hot Pink Celestia.

Also: where is my DVD?
The fuck? I'm just saying is that if you style the hair you get models that look reasonably like their cartoon counterparts.

Good job picking the most egregious example of being off model of the mane 6 by the way.

I'm gonna go ahead and risk the flame war by bringing up this topic that has been on my mind for awhile...

What is so great about this show that people outside of the demographic are so interested in it? Is it one of those shows made for kids and to not bore the hell out of the parents stuck watching it (I.E. Phineas and Pherb)? And why are so many fans of the show male? I could understand a liking of a cartoon like Adventure Time because it's geared towards both genders, but come on, this is a show made for girls under 13.

Neki

wish this show was called my little car so people would stop pestering me about my likes. just a show about cars trying to get by, and defeating evil with magic and friendship.

GruntOfAction said:
I'm gonna go ahead and risk the flame war by bringing up this topic that has been on my mind for awhile...

What is so great about this show that people outside of the demographic are so interested in it? Is it one of those shows made for kids and to not bore the hell out of the parents stuck watching it (I.E. Phineas and Pherb)? And why are so many fans of the show male? I could understand a liking of a cartoon like Adventure Time because it's geared towards both genders, but come on, this is a show made for girls under 13.
No flame war necessary, this is asked often enough that it's answered in the first post.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
GruntOfAction said:

the producer of the show has said that she wanted the show to be watchable by parents and from that it stood to reason that the show would be popular with animation fans [who are predominantely male].

she also said that only wussies are afraid of girly shows.

GruntOfAction said:

If you're interested in knowing why people like it give this a watch. Put bluntly, it's not just a show made for girls under 13.

Narag

Ultimoo said:
wish this show was called my little car so people would stop pestering me about my likes. just a show about cars trying to get by, and defeating evil with magic and friendship.

My Little Kirby. Everyone loves Kirby. Metaknight too except for those brawl playing bastards.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
GruntOfAction said:
Ah, I had no idea the person behind PPG and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was behind this show. Good to know. I guess you guys do have a good reason to watch it...

Carry on, pretend I was never here.

I came back.

You'll come back.

They all come back.

Acerac

Banned
GruntOfAction said:
Ah, I had no idea the person behind PPG and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was behind this show. Good to know. I guess you guys do have a good reason to watch it...

Carry on, pretend I was never here.
We're not here just for the minds behind the show, it is actually a very enjoyable program. Check out the 2 episodes from the new season, you may surprise yourself and enjoy it.

Orcastar

judhudson said:

Hhhhnnnggggg another one....Hasbro needs to jump on this stat and start producing these
Wow. Just wow. That might be single greatest FiM fan-creation ever made so far. Well next to our game of course.

Cheerilee

GruntOfAction said:

I know you might have left already, but I just figured I'd post a few quotes from a Lauren Faust interview.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/09/exclusive-season-1-retrospective.html

17. Your body of work demonstrates a zeal for character-driven media. What have you seen in your career that compels you to champion and create this style of media, and why do you pursue your specific dreams and aspirations? In short, what does Lauren Faust hope to achieve - and leave behind?

I champion character-driven stories and humor because character-driven stuff is just what I like to watch and what I like to do. I think making your audience experience an emotional reaction is the core of good storytelling, and you can’t evoke emotion without likable, relatable characters. Some shows focus on gags and written jokes and have an exclusive goal to get laughs, but I prefer comedy that has a sincere emotional core...and humor that comes from characters, not one-liners. Somehow, it’s just a bit of a strength I have.

My specific dreams are still to make great entertainment for girls. I just don’t think there’s enough truly good stuff out there for them, but I also have kind of selfish reasons. When I think of something I want to say or an experience I want to share, my ideas are usually innately feminine because I’m female - and I refuse to believe that something being feminine by nature automatically means it isn’t worthwhile. If I can put the tiniest dent in the perception that “girly” equals “lame” or “for girls” equals “crappy,” I’ll be very satisfied.
22. Describe how the various media reports impacted your direction and outlook, if you would. At first, several outlets were noticeably caustic, owing either to insufficient information or simple misunderstandings. More recently, the level of positive coverage from the media has been trending sharply upward. What do you make of all the articles - both positive and negative - and why do you suppose that the general perception has changed, beyond simply increased exposure to the show?

When I accepted the job in the first place, I expected that the usual “ew gross, girls!” response was inevitable. I even expected that people would actively hate it without even watching it. So, when the first uninformed, unjustifiably negative articles surfaced, I was disappointed, of course - but not surprised. I just thought of the girls who’d finally have a worthwhile cartoon to watch and tried not to worry about the folks we weren’t targeting. I knew (or at least I thought I knew) we wouldn’t sway their biases no matter how great the show was.
30. Stepping back and viewing the larger picture, how do you perceive this show has shaken the stereotype of a young girls' show? Friendship is Magic is certainly a constructive step toward portraying that media in an intelligent and positive light, but a large stigma nevertheless persists. In your estimation, what's the next step - and what else must be done before that detrimental stereotype can begin to fade into irrelevancy?

I think the show may have opened the minds of a number of specific individuals, but I don’t think its influence is really far reaching enough to make that big an impact - yet. I’ll be curious to see how the attitudes of the young girls and boys who enjoy the show grow as they do. Perhaps having enjoyed the show will make them less resistant to similar content as they grow older, and perhaps it will inspire them to create similar things.

Next steps are just to continue in this direction. Networks and studios need to be willing to give feminine concepts a try, the people who can make this kind of stuff need to be given more chances, and audiences need to put their preconceived notions aside and give female content a try. They need to somehow let go of the idea that liking something feminine is belittling. I think that last one is the tallest order of them all.

kyubajin

Damn, I'm getting addicted to this show... I should start rationing the episodes. Also that plushie is too good to be true.

Furret

Banned
judhudson said:

That is amazing, I'd buy that for a dollar and several more besides.

Now compare and contrast it to the rubbish Hasbro has been putting out. Where are the decent pony toys? I am desperate to give a global corporation my money! Why do they not want it?!

51llMZmIm5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

judhudson

I wouldn't even get a regular tattoo, but if it's a "what if", I'd probably go with AppleJack's mark.

That way, when I moon people, I can yell out "How bout THEM apples!"

OMG Aero

OMG Aero said:
I've been thinking about this and I think the easiest way to schedule a game would be to just pick a day and ask people if they can and what time they can play on that day.
So how about Wednesday? That's a good midpoint between the Saturday night games.
If anyone can play on Wednesday, what time would be good for you? And instead of posting the time in your time zone or trying to do a conversion choose your location (Or the closest one to you) and submit your time on this site then post the result URL, it makes it easier for everyone.

And if you can't play on Wednesday, what day would be better?

Personally, I could start playing at any time between 5pm and 11pm BST.
Quoting myself for the new page because no-one replied before and hey, Firehead is paying for this TF2 server the least we could do is play on it. If tonight is now too short notice I guess we can replace the day with Thursday instead.
PBalfredo said:
Speaking of which, has anyone else been reading Fallout Equestria? I've been reading a lot of it recently (up to chapter 36) and I'm surprised how much I'm enjoying it. Normally with fanfiction, a decent fic would be one where I come out of it thinking "Well, I didn't cringe too much." But this is different. It's really is quite good. I'd sit down to read a bit and find myself thinking "just one more chapter". It's also inspired me to play through Fallout 3 again.

edit: Also, the common fan depiction of LittlePip is adorable
a_fallout_equestria_icon_by_sbeaumont-d48y8jh.png
I've been reading this too. I'm only up to chapter 32 partly because I didn't want to rush it and reach a point where I was waiting for the next update and partly because I took a break to read It's a Dangerous Business (Which I finished last night and is well worth a read). I have to agree with how good it is too, it was probably the first one I started reading and it got me to start playing a Fallout game too (Although in my case it was New Vegas).

PBalfredo

Amibguous Cad said:
Spike looks like a dragonborn from 4e D&D
lol yeah. That was the first thing I though too. When I saw this on ponibooru, I needed to check the source to verify it's suppose to be spike and not just some DnD art that someone added a stripe and horn to the horse to make it Twilight.

OMG Aero said:
Quoting myself for the new page because no-one replied before and hey, Firehead is paying for this TF2 server the least we could do is play on it. If tonight is now too short notice I guess we can replace the day with Thursday instead.
I'm on break this week so anytime is good for me
edit: If I had to choose, I'd say the normal time we do syncetubes, so http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20111012T17&p1=70

OMG Aero said:
I've been reading this too. I'm only up to chapter 32 partly because I didn't want to rush it and reach a point where I was waiting for the next update and partly because I took a break to read It's a Dangerous Business (Which I finished last night and is well worth a read). I have to agree with how good it is too, it was probably the first one I started reading and it got me to start playing a Fallout game too (Although in my case it was New Vegas).

Having to wait for new chapters is going to stink after I finish ch 40, but I figure I'll all of Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons to keep me busy during the wait. From what I heard, it's just as good, and plenty long.

Theory time:
Anyone else think LittlePip and crew are going to end up as spirits of harmony, despite LittlePip believing otherwise? She's basing this off the fact that she sucks at magic except for levitation, but I don't think she's aware of the whole friendship is magic deal. And I can't think of anyone else who is better at making friends in the Equestrian wasteland than LittlePip. That's got to be her virtue. Also, I think Calamity represents Loyalty and Velvet is Kindness, so with Ditzy Doo as Laughter and Homage as Honesty, that just leaves Generosity

New Vegas is really good. Its main quest is way better than Fallout 3 and has what I think are the best companions in the series. Especially Veronica, so be sure to pick her up at
188 trading post
. Also, if you're playing on the PC, be sure to mod the hell out of it

I also read It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (which I think is a great title) and it was overall good, but had it's problems too. The parts in Gildsedale were good, but halfway through it sort of fell apart
I think it was a mistake to give Dash a game-breaking skill like riding lightning, only for them to ignore it for flimsy reasons so Rarity can go on her little side quest, while Twilight's back home and in constant, screaming pain. Between that and not telling Celestia what was up, there is a whole lot of avoiding the smartest solution for the sake of keeping the story going. Though the idea of carrying along bottled dragonfire was pretty smart. I thought for sure at some point that bottle would break accidently

Sciz

I enjoyed It's a Dangerous Business by and large, except for when it would abruptly shift into a debate about the nature of freedom and politics and I was left wondering when I'd accidentally started playing Deus Ex.

OMG Aero said:
We need more people to use this server. Firehead set it up for us to have good, private, games with and we shouldn't let that go to waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom