• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

takua108

Neo Member
Cutie Mark Crusade demo was amazing. Can't wait for the full game.

Changing topics: how come nobody here is up in arms about that brony documentary? My only two pony web destinations are here and /r/mylittlepony, but I didn't see anything on any of them about this EqD article that got taken down about a casting call for a brony documentary. I guess it's assumed that, given the pedigree of the production company, it's going to be one of those things that makes us look like fucking antisocial nutjobs? And EqD hasn't posted anything else about it yet? Am I missing something?

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
kunonabi said:
Dang, the demo just crashes for me every time.
If it crashes after the 'Tutorial' screen thingy, try to install it somewhere else than the Program Files directory - that should work.

akira28

takua108 said:

Changing topics: how come nobody here is up in arms about that brony documentary? I guess it's assumed that, given the pedigree of the production company, it's going to be one of those things that makes us look like fucking antisocial nutjobs? And EqD hasn't posted anything else about it yet? Am I missing something?

The My Strange Addiction people? 20 West? Dear god no. They'll have someone rolling around on a life sized poster of some Rule 34 or something. This must be stopped.

OMG Aero

PBalfredo said:
I also read It's a Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door (which I think is a great title) and it was overall good, but had it's problems too. The parts in Gildsedale were good, but halfway through it sort of fell apart
I think it was a mistake to give Dash a game-breaking skill like riding lightning, only for them to ignore it for flimsy reasons so Rarity can go on her little side quest, while Twilight's back home and in constant, screaming pain. Between that and not telling Celestia what was up, there is a whole lot of avoiding the smartest solution for the sake of keeping the story going. Though the idea of carrying along bottled dragonfire was pretty smart. I thought for sure at some point that bottle would break accidently
Yeah I had a few problems with it too.
As you said, I really enjoyed the Gildedale parts but in comparison to them the Rainbow Dash and Rarity sections seemed to go by really quickly and while Applejack's ability and development seemed to make sense, Rainbow Dash going all spiritual and summoning lightning and Rarity being able to see the future kinda came out of nowhere. Those were mainly minor things that I could get over though, the one thing that stood out to me and lowered my opinion of the story was the ending. The whole story had been about how much Applejack, Rainbow and Rarity could do together but then at the end Twilight appears and saves them in a couple of seconds. It seemed like way too much of a deus ex machina considering that the story started because of how dangerous teleportation can be and the beneviolet just happened to give Twilight enough magic to teleport right to them in the nick of time. I would have much preferred it if they got away from the snake themselves or hell even if the deer, pronghorn or Gildedale ponies appear to help instead of Twilight out of nowhere.

And since I haven't had chance to try the demo yet (Great job on that anyway guys) and so this post isn't just fanfic spoilers, have some great comics.
First up is your daily dose of HNNNNG with a comic about how Pinkie and Fluttershy met from the same person who does the Ask Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy tumblr:

And next is a 4 part comic from MixerMike which offers an epilogue to Discord that I really wish happened instead of him turning to stone again:

Orcastar

Excellent comics, and that tumblr ain't half bad either, though some of the answers are kinda out there. Definitely gonna follow that one.

News from the mod staff about opening a thread for the game gaming side, from a PM:

EatChildren said:
Had a chat with the staff and we're going to have to say no for the time being.

One of the reasons is that stuff like this is a grey area of commercial legality. Though not for profit, there is a potential to infringe on copyright. Honestly, it's in the project builders best interest to not overly publicise the project with its own thread on GAF, as this is often what causes publishers/lawyers to pick up on it and issue a C&D. It's happened before (I believe this is what happened to the Chrono Trigger remake).

So, for the time being, we'll keep discussion of the project in the MLP thread.

A little disappointing, but probably for the best.

takua108 said:

Changing topics: how come nobody here is up in arms about that brony documentary? My only two pony web destinations are here and /r/mylittlepony, but I didn't see anything on any of them about this EqD article that got taken down about a casting call for a brony documentary. I guess it's assumed that, given the pedigree of the production company, it's going to be one of those things that makes us look like fucking antisocial nutjobs? And EqD hasn't posted anything else about it yet? Am I missing something?

I don't know, I haven't seen anything else the company has done, but this

press release said:
We are currently in development on a cable television series called "Welcome to my World," in which we will showcase various life styles, hidden identities and subcultures people would otherwise never know about. We’d love to include Bronies in the program!

Our goal is to shed light on the fun, quirky, and largely unknown subcultures of Bronies and just how dedicated this group of fans is to their favorite TV show. Do you have an incredible collection of My Little Ponies you’d like to show off? Are you forced to skip out on social events in order to watch the show in real time? Do you devote hours of your free time visiting MLP chat rooms and organizing meetups? Do you hide your obsession from your girlfriend or coworkers? We want to know the good and the bad of being an active member in this growing fan base.

...raises some alarm bells but isn't enough to get me to dismiss the project out of hand. It's possible it'll be a "look at the freaks" kind of documentary (because hey, that's probably what's gonna sell a documentary like this), but it's not like we can particularly deny that there are some oddballs in our ranks. I'm not too concerned about how the mainstream views us- I mean, we do like a cartoon designed for 5-year old girls, we're already pretty solidly condemned if they're not open-minded in the first place.

Amibguous Cad said:
I'm not too concerned about how the mainstream views us- I mean, we do like a cartoon designed for 5-year old girls, we're already pretty solidly condemned if they're not open-minded in the first place.
This is my stance on it. I really couldn't care less about stuff like this. If people want to make documentaries made to exploit the most extreme parts of a fandom then so be it. I'll just ignore it and it will have no affect on my enjoyment of the show or it's fandom.

Jenga

Banned
takua108 said:

but you guys are antisocial nutjobs

AdawgDaFAB said:
Oh cool, NOW I understand the comedy in that comic. Initially the only thing that made me chuckle was the rainbow dash part and pinkie being angry at twilight.

Even if i didnt knew the Star Trek gag i found it hilarious Discord returning with a mariachi party and addig girls :lol Is the thing he would had probably do if he returned to the series.

Link Man

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Oh cool, NOW I understand the comedy in that comic. Initially the only thing that made me chuckle was the rainbow dash part and pinkie being angry at twilight.
Rainbow Dash MADE that comic.

OMG Aero

So in case you guys don't follow the gaming threads or news about it, TF2 just got a huge update with a whole bunch of new stuff and to celebrate we're going to try and get some PonyGAF games going on the server in just under an hour so that gives you plenty of time to boot up Steam, download the update and join in the fun! Although keep in mind that currently everyone is trying to get the update, so if you get some errors about not being able to get the update just keep trying or give it a few minutes.

Who knows, if you haven't played TF2 since Wednesday night then you might even get some of the new items in your weekly item drops!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
OMG Aero said:
So in case you guys don't follow the gaming threads or news about it, TF2 just got a huge update with a whole bunch of new stuff and to celebrate we're going to try and get some PonyGAF games going on the server in just under an hour so that gives you plenty of time to boot up Steam, download the update and join in the fun! Although keep in mind that currently everyone is trying to get the update, so if you get some errors about not being able to get the update just keep trying or give it a few minutes.

Who knows, if you haven't played TF2 since Wednesday night then you might even get some of the new items in your weekly item drops!

Rainbolt Dash? Pony Princess?

xjtY5.png

McNum

I would have joined you in TF2, but Steam was very stubborn about refusing to look for updates, until five minutes ago. So my TF2 will not be ready for tonight. Is there any way to force Steam to look for updates for a future event?

OMG Aero

McNum said:
I would have joined you in TF2, but Steam was very stubborn about refusing to look for updates, until five minutes ago. So my TF2 will not be ready for tonight. Is there any way to force Steam to look for updates for a future event?
Try changing your download region (Settings > Download) to a place that people aren't likely to be swarming to download an update (I picked South Korea and that worked fine).

Also updating the server is taking longer than expected so we are starting an hour later instead.

OMG Aero

Firehead is having some problems with the server but he's trying to get them sorted now. If you make sure you are online on Steam, I'll make an event when he gets it working.

Edit: Working now

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Love those CMC pics :D Applebloom and the shoe thingies, d'aaw.

blamite

ThreeSix said:
I made a 6 second video with Fluttershy lip synced to the the chorus of a rap video. Some people said they wanted it looped, but I went and just made an extended version of the song. Also there's like two minutes of Fluttershy looped at the end for those who wanted that.

EveryPony Braps Across Equestria
I can barely make out more than two consecutive words in that song, but it's okay because the video is synced so well! Seriously, I always love your videos, great job again! :D

takua108

Neo Member
ThreeSix said:
I made a 6 second video with Fluttershy lip synced to the the chorus of a rap video. Some people said they wanted it looped, but I went and just made an extended version of the song. Also there's like two minutes of Fluttershy looped at the end for those who wanted that.

EveryPony Braps Across Equestria
Welcome to the top of the Internet, you're at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom