• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Really? No one?

The freaking Demo is out!

smalltitle.png

Check out www.manestreamgames.com :D

PBalfredo

Bufbaf said:
Really? No one?

The freaking Demo is out!

smalltitle.png

Check out www.manestreamgames.com :D
Downloading now. Will play when I'm back from doing errands.

edit: Started playing a bit (confound these fangames, cause me to procrastinate) but I'm stuck already. I've tried bucking Scootaloo and I'm all out of ideas.

Seriously, I see the key in the tree outside, but I have no idea how to get it. The only other notable thing outside is the Raven and I can't get anything out of him. Inside the clubhouse all I can seem to do is rearrange flower vases and picture frames. I don't have a clue.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
PBalfredo said:

edit: Started playing a bit (confound these fangames, cause me to procrastinate) but I'm stuck already. I've tried bucking Scootaloo and I'm all out of ideas.

Seriously, I see the key in the tree outside, but I have no idea how to get it. The only other notable thing outside is the Raven and I can't get anything out of him. Inside the clubhouse all I can seem to do is rearrange flower vases and picture frames. I don't have a clue.
Try using each CMC's special ability with items. Hovering and bucking will help you a lot in the clubhouse...

Orcastar

PBalfredo said:

Did you try getting the apple picture off from the wall?

Some general hints for the demo:

Each crusader has a unique special ability: Apple Bloom can kick, Scootaloo can hover and Sweetie Belle can sing.

You can combine items in the inventory by first left-clicking on an item, then right-clicking on the item you want to combine the first item with.

You can transfer items from one crusader to another by using an item on them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Very fun demo.

Shoot me a line if you guys need anymore help with scrip (writing, not coding. I don't code, but I can write).

General feedback:

Gibberish voices take a bit getting used to. I like the idea, but I think your samles are to long in there. I'd recommend trying to shorten the various samples you're using (.1 sec to .5 sec)

McNum

I completed the demo, trying my best to break it, but I only found minor issues... and one big one during installation, but I've forwarded those to Myke.

Fun demo, I know what the highlight of it for me was, but I'm not saying it, not even in spoiler. It involves Sweetie Belle, though.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
McNum said:
Fun demo, I know what the highlight of it for me was, but I'm not saying it, not even in spoiler. It involves Sweetie Belle, though.

Yay :D

McNum

Bufbaf said:
I still can't believe you guys did that, so awesome!

Also, funniest unintentional line I got: Scootaloo, look at Scootaloo. "Rainbow Dash would never do that!" That's harsh.

EDIT: I'm running mine on a Danish Win7 64-bit edition with no crashes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Game crashed after the logos and explanation note.
Using Windows 7 64 bits.
mmm, crashed again :(
It's a problem with the "program files" directory, we fixed it in the newer download. Just install it to another directory, or to the desktop :=)

cmd says:
IOError: [Errno13]Permission denied: 'debug_safe.dat'

Bufbaf said:
It's a problem with the "program files" directory, we fixed it in the newer download. Just install it to another directory, or to the desktop :=)

Oh thanks, will try again.

EDIT:
WORKS!

McNum

Bufbaf said:
Yeah, about that... you might want to take a look at that installer again. Mine suggested to install into my Mozilla Firefox folder. I'm pretty sure that'd be bad and wrong. That's the only "NO!" class bug I found, tough.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Game crashed after the logos and explanation note.
Using Windows 7 64 bits.
mmm, crashed again :(
We added a note to the download page about this. Win7 doesn't like the demo saving things in Program Files. It's something about file permissions. If you re-install or move the game to somewhere like the desktop or your documents everything should be fine. :)

McNum said:
Yeah, about that... you might want to take a look at that installer again. Mine suggested to install into my Mozilla Firefox folder. I'm pretty sure that'd be bad and wrong. That's the only "NO!" class bug I found, tough.
Recorded, thanks a million. I'm guessing it's trying to install to your download location.

G-Fex

you know it's amazing how stupid hasbro is for not marking more of this stuff to you bronies.

They'd make a killing but I guess they don't want controversy or something.

They can sell it at Hot Topic, you guys like Hot Topic eh?

Theonik

Win7 64-bit here and I also report no crashes. Nice work though I agree with the doctor, the gibberish does take a bit of getting used to. Another handy thing to add would be better inventory management (it's not a problem in the demo but being able to transfer multiple items at one time will be useful probably.)

Lol, im stuck
i got out the apple form the picture frame, wanted to throw it outside the window and thats not what need to be done. I dont know what to do anymore :(
Fuck this shit
i had to kick it
LOL

DrForester said:
was there an inventory hot-key I missed?

If not, then dudes....

Inventory Hot-key

Middle mouse button, but i thing theres no keyboard button.

Theonik

DrForester said:

If not, then dudes....

Inventory Hot-key
And a quick switch for the CMCs, something like 1, 2 and 3 switching between them.
Edit: Oh, yes middle mouse.

DrForester said:

If not, then dudes....

Inventory Hot-key
Besides clicking on the bag, you can press the middle click on your mouse or the letter I to open the inventory.

Theonik said:
And a quick switch for the CMCs, something like 1, 2 and 3 switching between them.
That's already in.

In addition to I for inventory the other hotkeys are:
1, 2 and 3 switching characters
0 for turning on and off group mode
n to reset the game
F11 for quick save
F12 for quick load

Theonik

DrForester said:
Mouse wheel.
That too, but maybe have a keyboard option that allows to go from 1 to 3 directly. Say from AB to Sweetie Bell.
Edit: Oh it's already there? Wasn't on the instructions in the beginning. Nevermind then.

Ok that was incredibly awesome.
the song, omg, what and incredible surprise

And scootaloo asking the raven: NEVERMORE lol

You guys did and amazing job.
I was going to say at first I didnt like the giberish voices, but after some time they just clicked with me.

McNum

Thnikkaman said:
Recorded, thanks a million. I'm guessing it's trying to install to your download location.
Nope, I downloaded it to a different physical hard disk, actually. I ran it through the Firefox Download window by double clicking it, and it suggested "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox" as the install folder. My guess is that it's set up to install to the current folder on Drive C. Which is still bad.

It looks like you're using a standard installer, so I'm sure it's easily configurable somewhere.

I installed mine to my "I've had enough of UAC issues with my older games" folder at "C:\Games\Cutie Mark Crusade Demo". Ran fine from there.

EDIT: Maybe you should add a Group Mode button next to the character select buttons at the bottom?

Also, I saw that this puzzle wasn't supposed to be in the full game? May I suggest that it is, but as an optional tutorial? Basically to walk new players through how the logic and controls of this game works.

PBalfredo

Solved it thanks to the hints given here. An in-game hint system would be appreciated for times like when I was stuck.

Otherwise, it's looking really good. Real solid presentation. Strong visual theme for the UI and the music sounds good. Could use more sound effects for interacting with items, clicking on menus, etc.

Also, I found a minor bug

PBalfredo

One thing that seemed inconsistent was which objects Scootaloo could hover up to.
She could hover up to the apple picture, but not the big pony picture, even though the apple picture is hung higher on the wall. Also, my first instinct was to use hover to get the small pony picture, since it was a full filly's height higher than the CMC. I got a generic "can't do that" from Scootaloo since the correct answer is to just Interact with the object. Failing to being able to use hover on the two pony pictures, it led me to believe it won't work on the apple picture, which looked to be even higher than the other two.
Just something to keep in mind when making the mane game.

blamite

Demo was pretty awesome, and made me remember how bad I am at adventure games.

One thing I'd suggest is breaking up the horseshoe "interact" button up into pick up, put down, and use, or something similar. For example, I was a little confused about how to
open the window
, since it's (as far as i can tell) the only time that button was used for anything other than picking up objects.

Overall though, you guys are doing a great job! The writing is fun, the graphics look great, really true to the show's style, and music is great! I was also really impressed by
Sweetie Belle's song.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
blamite said:
Demo was pretty awesome, and made me remember how bad I am at adventure games.

One thing I'd suggest is breaking up the horseshoe "interact" button up into pick up, put down, and use, or something similar. For example, I was a little confused about how to
open the window
, since it's (as far as i can tell) the only time that button was used for anything other than picking up objects.

But they're ponies. Hoof = hand.

blamite said:
It's just that there's a bunch of functions all on one button is all. That might just be me being dumb at adventure games though. :p
I think it's more useful to have it be an all purpose interaction button than to separate them out into multiple ones.

Perhaps if there is a tutorial that explains some game functions it could be mentioned that the horseshoe is a context sensitive interact button.

judhudson

Bah, help a friend move only to come back and to find out the demo is released! Since I'm short on time, I can only install and check it out quickly. Tomorrow is already booked with other plans, but I'll be saving Friday evening/night to go thru the whole game and see what I can break/find. :) By the looks of it, it looks like it is going to be a blast to play.

judhudson said:
Bah, help a friend move only to come back and to find out the demo is released! Since I'm short on time, I can only install and check it out quickly. Tomorrow is already booked with other plans, but I'll be saving Friday evening/night to go thru the whole game and see what I can break/find. :) By the looks of it, it looks like it is going to be a blast to play.
The demo is mostly a proof of concept showing what the game will be like, and not something long and drawn out. I spent about an hour playing it the first time, trying to do every single thing you possible so I could enjoy all the content there (and find any potential bugs that needed fixing). That said, the puzzle itself can be done in ~3 minutes if you know what to do. Also, you can save and load at any time so you can play it little by little if you only have a small bit of spare time here and there ;-).

jogarrr

Just finished the Cutie Mark Crusade demo. The writing was great; their personalities were spot on. The 'gibberish' voices really do a good job in helping to convey each pony's personality. The music was awesome as well. Really great job all around.

I loved the Sweetie Belle -> Scootaloo dialog. They get along so well. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom