• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the translation of the comments for the japanese fansub on Nico Nico, but I have! So here is my reaction to Japan's reaction! (How meta!)

And well, the Japanese are pretty much reacting the same way as us English-speaking bronies are. They're using their own local colloquialisms in the comments of course but other than that they seem to be enjoying it on pretty much the same level we are.

The biggest difference that I could tell was that the whole two-parter structure of the opening episodes threw them off. I guess the Japanese are just so used to season-long story arcs. They were wondering why progress was so fast and then wondered if the second episode was the finale.

And yes, "fluttershy is mai waifu" is a common sentiment. Although there was a debate at the start as to whether ponies could be moe.

I'll keep on top of them and let you guys know if there are any surprises. I'm kind of curious to see how they handle Feelin' Pinkie Keen and the CMC.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ZealousD said:
So I don't know if you guys have been keeping up with the translation of the comments for the japanese fansub on Nico Nico, but I have! So here is my reaction to Japan's reaction! (How meta!)

And well, the Japanese are pretty much reacting the same way as us English-speaking bronies are. They're using their own local colloquialisms in the comments of course but other than that they seem to be enjoying it on pretty much the same level we are.

The biggest difference that I could tell was that the whole two-parter structure of the opening episodes threw them off. I guess the Japanese are just so used to season-long story arcs. They were wondering why progress was so fast and then wondered if the second episode was the finale.

And yes, "fluttershy is mai waifu" is a common sentiment. Although there was a debate at the start as to whether ponies could be moe.

There's no Tsundere pony, I'm surprised the Japanese can cope.

PBalfredo

Rickenslacker said:
Who's ready for their regular dose of cute? These come from Tess-27.

Good choice

Here are a few other gems I liked from the same artist

ratatatata_by_tess_27-d3wwom9.png

what_is_a_human_if_not_a_pony_by_tess_27-d428kn0.png

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
ChuckNoLuck said:
Did you start watching somewhere in the middle? Because I'm pretty sure almost all of us got hooked by watching episodes 1 and 2 first.

Wasn't the case for me

Just watched the first episode.

Positives about the show
- Presents concepts like virtues and friendships as pure, honest things. Not enough of that comes through in a lot of the cynical kids shows on TV nowadays. Hell, it comes as no surprise to me when I hear some of the negative, sarcastic and bitter things my sister spouts sometimes after watching some of the crap she watches for 3+ hours a day.
- Has a distinct animation style with a lot of interesting influences in a world of shitty generic Family-Guy inspired static animation.
- Has a coherent plot (at least in the first episode) that at least can hold the attention of kids and yet is still complex enough for adults to give a damn. It's a fun show that adults and kids can watch together and even talk about together.

These attributes, however, does not a good adult show make. I'd watch this shit with my 6 year old if I had one, but since I don't, I can just stand by and be glad that someone out there is trying to raise the bar on children's television.

MLP GAF: I think at last we understand each other. You don't have my blessing, but I don't think this thread is half as creepy as I did before. Just know that I will not go about and spread the gospel, nor will I ever darken your doorways again. Be at peace.

The Pilot literally did nothing to further interest me in the show that the animation didn't already do itself.

It was Dragonshy, Swarm of the Century, and the Pony-GAF community that did me in.

... and then I reformed

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Sciz said:
I shouldn't be this fascinated by a simple broken URL that works as plain text, and yet I am.

Fascinate yourself no longer; the link has been mended.

Also a bonus link for those Pony-GAF history buffs out there: the post where I finally admit to actually watching the show in earnest. Hard to believe it was only 7 months ago.

Ah, memories.

Cheerilee

Master Milk said:
What's the best starter episode for getting someone hooked? Preferably one without singing.
I believe that picking and choosing a starter episode is a bad idea, because different people respond differently to the different styles, and if you try to rearrange the show to fit someone's tastes and you guess wrong, you personally will be the one responsible for their bad first impression, instead of it being the show that did it.

I think it's a better tactic to try and tell people that the show changes tone somewhat after the two pilot episodes, so they should try and give it a longer chance, and reserve their judgement until they've seen at least 4 episodes to balance it out (Ticket Master and Applebuck Season are great episodes).

Also, the pilot episodes are designed to be an introduction, while some of the "better" episodes are payoff that require you to be already invested in the characters.

And I wouldn't try and steer them away from the songs, since they're a big part of the show.

But if you really know the person, I suppose you can give it a try.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OK, I risk this to be the page's last post and get under everyone's radar, but I have to take this off my chest.

Some elements of this community are starting to make me sick. And I don't mean the guys who produce less-than-proper artwork, either. I can live with whatever vile themes fans can conjure in their dirty little minds. I mean this (in response to this).

It's all friendship and magic until money gets involved in the equation. After that, it's pony eat pony and everything goes, including what I suspect to be gratuitous spreading of FUD about any perceived competition. The pony mafia is at full force here - the kind of self-gratifying, self-feeding, circle-jerking, back-patting closed group that is so afraid of the talent on the outside stealing a bit of their spotlight that they stamp any newcomer as soon as they pop their nose in.

Tell me, PonyGAF, what do you think about this?

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
gSha0.png

DrForester said:
Just two more posts and we can get that terrible picture off the page (for those using the Celestia endorsed 50 ppp).

How could you be mad at a face like this:

tumblr_ltnmtxOLmZ1qklvzm.gif

?

You heartless beast.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Myke Greywolf said:
OK, I risk this to be the page's last post and get under everyone's radar, but I have to take this off my chest.

Some elements of this community are starting to make me sick. And I don't mean the guys who produce less-than-proper artwork, either. I can live with whatever vile themes fans can conjure in their dirty little minds. I mean this (in response to this).

It's all friendship and magic until money gets involved in the equation. After that, it's pony eat pony and everything goes, including what I suspect to be gratuitous spreading of FUD about any perceived competition. The pony mafia is at full force here - the kind of self-gratifying, self-feeding, circle-jerking, back-patting closed group that is so afraid of the talent on the outside stealing a bit of their spotlight that they stamp any newcomer as soon as they pop their nose in.

This is a universal truth, brother.

T'was ever thus.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Myke Greywolf said:

People payed almost two grand for that Fluttershy plushie. There's obviously a market not being satisfied by Hasbro, here.

OMG Aero

Myke Greywolf said:

It's all friendship and magic until money gets involved in the equation. After that, it's pony eat pony and everything goes, including what I suspect to be gratuitous spreading of FUD about any perceived competition. The pony mafia is at full force here - the kind of self-gratifying, self-feeding, circle-jerking, back-patting closed group that is so afraid of the talent on the outside stealing a bit of their spotlight that they stamp any newcomer as soon as they pop their nose in

Okay first of all, is this post completely serious?
The paragraph I bolded is a complete overreaction to a single sentence comment one guy made that wasn't malicious at all.
I know this is your wife that made the plushie and she spent a lot of time on it, but you need to learn how to take criticism. Everyone has different opinions on things and as far as the internet goes that isn't a bad comment at all. Especially when you consider that there are just as many positive comments about it.

Narag

Myke Greywolf said:

Someone made an observation and someone agreed. If you weren't so close to the source material, I doubt you'd have paid it a second thought.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Myke Greywolf said:

It's the internet. Hate to be a jerk, but if you can't handle the fact that people will have criticism due to the nature of the internet, it might not be the environment for you. having done anime cosplay for years, it's a similar thing there. You can work your butt off on a costume, people will complain.

And as a side note, that guys an idiot. I remember that scoot figure being posted a while ago and had no clue Jackie made it. It's fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom