• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
tumblr_lhvfhsPeIS1qhh45wo1_400.gif

Link Man

Banned
The greatest story ever told said:
Amy Rose got home from buying groceries. She put away all the ingredients and went to check her missed phone calls.

"Beep, you have one voice mail." said her answering machine.

"Hey Amy," she heard Sonic say on the message. "listen I just dumped you for a cool new girlfriend who is WAY faster then you and also more cool, and also she's a pony. I'm just letting you know so uh ok bye! I have to start dating her now! *Click*"

Amy froze for a moment then went into her kitchen and got two containers of ice cream, sat on her couch, and started eating them with her hands.

shaowebb

You guys may know about this, but then again you may not so I'm gonna share.

There is a site called shapeways. People can upload 3d models to it and they will print 3d models you can buy, sand and paint for cheap.

PONIES ARE THERE.

I found a Luna for under $2. Shipping/taxes puts the entire custom at a little over $8. YES THEY HAVE BLANKS. Click the 3d view for turntables of the pony you see (its the cube thingy in the right near the preview). Dimensions are listed at the bottom. Finally I can get a DJ PON-3 since Hashbrony is uploading his model soon.

Here is the link to the Luna model I mentioned.

Sharing is Caring bronies. I had to share this. Anyone here besides me do any CG work? I'd like to ask about formatting the dimensions for this in case I want to have a model made of my Sally Acorn from here...and for brony reasons.

EDIT: Sweet...they have tutorials on how to prep your models for this using Blender and other stuff on the site. Plus different materials available for printing like glass, silver, ceramics, and acrylics! Looks like I've found where my time is going after I graduate in October. Me gonna makey some figurines. The Ray, Sally Acorn, and Terranigma models will soon be mine. <3

They have downloadable models too, but I can't find any under the word "pony" just yet. If I could It'd be a cinch to pose them, and mod them into other ponies. A tweak of the eye and a quick hair-do and tail. Maybe I can contact "Periwinkle" who made the super low poly blank for permission. It'll need sub-divided a few times to smooth it, but I can do that in a couple of seconds in Zbrush. Hope they're up for it. Then I could make some poses out of their template and some blanks off it with different eye shapes for people to order models of. I won't get my hopes up though. Still...we now have a place to upload models to and print ponies from Pony-GAF. <3

You guys may know about this, but then again you may not so I'm gonna share.

There is a site called shapeways. People can upload 3d models to it and they will print 3d models you can buy, sand and paint for cheap.

PONIES ARE THERE.

I found a Luna for under $2. Shipping/taxes puts the entire custom at a little over $8. YES THEY HAVE BLANKS. Click the 3d view for turntables of the pony you see (its the cube thingy in the right near the preview). Dimensions are listed at the bottom. Finally I can get a DJ PON-3 since Hashbrony is uploading his model soon.

Here is the link to the Luna model I mentioned.

Sharing is Caring bronies. I had to share this. Anyone here besides me do any CG work? I'd like to ask about formatting the dimensions for this in case I want to have a model made of my Sally Acorn from here...and for brony reasons.

EDIT: Sweet...they have tutorials on how to prep your models for this using Blender and other stuff on the site. Plus different materials available for printing like glass, silver, ceramics, and acrylics! Looks like I've found where my time is going after I graduate in October. Me gonna makey some figurines. The Ray, Sally Acorn, and Terranigma models will soon be mine. <3

They have downloadable models too, but I can't find any under the word "pony" just yet. If I could It'd be a cinch to pose them, and mod them into other ponies. A tweak of the eye and a quick hair-do and tail. Maybe I can contact "Periwinkle" who made the super low poly blank for permission. It'll need sub-divided a few times to smooth it, but I can do that in a couple of seconds in Zbrush. Hope they're up for it. Then I could make some poses out of their template and some blanks off it with different eye shapes for people to order models of. I won't get my hopes up though. Still...we now have a place to upload models to and print ponies from Pony-GAF. <3

Really don't know much about this at all. I recall someone recently finishing a model for Vinyl Scratch to be made available on the site

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxJ7VbPqXXg

Cheerilee

I wonder if they can be made larger. They'd have to be scalable, right? Maybe they'er super tiny so Hasbro won't bring a banhammer. Or...gaming miniatures?

It's because they charge for size. The white nylon is $1.40 for one cubic centimeter. To make the same thing 2cm tall would need eight cubic centimeters, and cost $11.20.

And there are other materials available. You could make it in solid silver for $20 per cubic cm. $160 if you wanted it to be 2cm tall. I'd kind of like to go crazy with that. Make freaky expensive solid silver ponies and then paint them so they look like ordinary figures, but they're not.

Edit: of course, at that point it'd probably be cheaper to just order nylon ponies and use them to make casting molds, and melt your own silver to make cast-silver ponies.

akira28

It's because they charge for size. The white nylon is $1.40 for one cubic centimeter. To make the same thing 2cm tall would need eight cubic centimeters, and cost $11.20.

But centimeters are SMALL! 0_0
I could see inches, but these ponies would be the size of gummy bears.

edit: 5cm minimum.

shaowebb

Centimeters may be small but these centimeters actually EXIST. Think of em as squinkies. I think you can order them bigger BTW. If so just ask yourself if its worth it to you to have a standard sized one or not. Either way why complain about having an option that didn't exist before? Make a charm bracelet or phone cord accessory. Personally, I am definitely goin' to town here and buying a DJ PWN-3 as soon as Hashbro uploads it. May even buy a blank if I can increase the polygons. When I finish my Sally Acorn Model I'm getting it done here too.

judhudson

Probably be better off buying a plush/figurine from Etsy or another site like that. Although it would be cool to own such a small item.

akira28

...a pony...for ants?

I didn't see an option resizing. Maybe I need to open an account. I'd be willing to pay more for something at least 3 times larger.

McNum

So... the X-Com Ironman thread is starting up again thanks to the XCOM announcment, and this time, I want to play. Anyway, the soldiers in X-Com can be renamed, so I was wondering if any of PonyGAF want to love and tolerate the shit out of the alien invaders? I can promise a painful death on the ramp of a Skyranger if anyone is interested. Note that I'm not really that good at X-Com, which promises to make this a lot more "fun". I'm not going to ironman it, though.

Since we don't want to clutter this thread with it, just PM me if you're okay with me using your GAF name as a codename for one of my troops. Maybe add one or two ideas for the character, if he or she survives more than a couple of missions. I could also use a pilot or five. But I was thinking of having a Commander Hurricane as one of them. You know, stealth pony references. The least brave soldier may or may not become Private Pansy.

Link Man

Banned
Well, there's slightly less pixelation and colors closer to the original, due to scaling from a more natural size.

Anyway, time for an art dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom