• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Calpain said:
This comic. Wow, just wow. Say what you want about Rarity, but this is pretty cool (Linked for Huge):
Rarity Takes Some Time Off
You know what, Calpain? I don't care about huge. This HAS to be enbedded, so that there is no risk of someone missing its awesomeness. Thank you so much for sharing. Even if not canon, respect_for_rarity++.

Rarity, you don't have fizzy drinks out of a tea cup. Shame on you.

7pck1.jpg

Mirimar said:
SCIENCE!!

OMG Aero

AdawgDaFAB said:
This reminds me I still need to seek out and watch AT. Hmmm, I think I have a plan for this weekend ^__^.

OT: Speaking of the weekend, are we still having the synchtube at it's normal Sat timeslot? I remember there being doubt about it last weekend.
Calpain said:
I'm curious about this too. Regardless of the day it is held (if it is held) I should be able to make it.
Also I was thinking, how does TF2 after the synchtube sound? It looks like a good time to play a game or two while we have a lot of PonyGAF online.
Looks like my internet isn't going to be sorted until Monday so I need someone who is going to be around at the usual time to take over for me, preferably someone who knows how to use Synchtube so I don't have to explain anything.
I could totally get behind weekly TF2 games after Synchtube from next week onwards though.
Calpain said:
This comic. Wow, just wow. Say what you want about Rarity, but this is pretty cool (Linked for Huge):

Description of what is going on by the artist:
"Rarity, while not as powerful a unicorn as Twilight, possesses something far greater in skill in her ability to focus and concentrate her magic on much more nimble tasks. Using small finer points of magic, she can manipulate multiple items and tools at once while crafting her dresses, demonstrating the enormous dextrous control she has over her magic.

On a clear day, if her schedule permits it, she'll venture out at dawn to the clear plains beyond the forests outside Ponyville to practice one of her favorite stress relief hobbies. Archery is a guilty pleasure for Rarity: a thrilling activity, but not at all as barbaric a sport as some Rainbow or Applejack partake in. She considers it to be fairly similar to sewing really, only now she's using a much bigger needle and she's aiming at a small round target instead of stitches. Over the years she's become remarkable good at it, and it shows. At times she's even amazed at how simply she can "thread" arrows through one another, from great distances no less. She'll also add her own little "touch ups" to the game too, not being one to forget artistic license. In the end, she'll come back feeling just as rejuvenated as with any day at the spa center, and returns to her more or less humbler duties."

- Exploding_Guy
This is really, really good and everyone should have a look at it.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
We need Steam-related ponies.

AdawgDaFAB said:
I can't see how them being humans instead of ponies automatically means there is something intrinsically wrong with the pics, as some would try to argue. I suppose others must see things in pics that I just don't understand. All I see is unique artwork that showcases interesting interpretations of X character in Y setting.

You know how when Okami came out fanart of Ammy being drawn as a generic loli gijinka with a lack of uniqueness? Yeah.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Calpain said:

"Rarity, while not as powerful a unicorn as Twilight, possesses something far greater in skill in her ability to focus and concentrate her magic on much more nimble tasks. Using small finer points of magic, she can manipulate multiple items and tools at once while crafting her dresses, demonstrating the enormous dextrous control she has over her magic.

On a clear day, if her schedule permits it, she'll venture out at dawn to the clear plains beyond the forests outside Ponyville to practice one of her favorite stress relief hobbies. Archery is a guilty pleasure for Rarity: a thrilling activity, but not at all as barbaric a sport as some Rainbow or Applejack partake in. She considers it to be fairly similar to sewing really, only now she's using a much bigger needle and she's aiming at a small round target instead of stitches. Over the years she's become remarkable good at it, and it shows. At times she's even amazed at how simply she can "thread" arrows through one another, from great distances no less. She'll also add her own little "touch ups" to the game too, not being one to forget artistic license. In the end, she'll come back feeling just as rejuvenated as with any day at the spa center, and returns to her more or less humbler duties."

- Exploding_Guy
I like this a lot :D

OMG Aero said:
Looks like my internet isn't going to be sorted until Monday so I need someone who is going to be around at the usual time to take over for me, preferably someone who knows how to use Synchtube so I don't have to explain anything.
I could totally get behind weekly TF2 games after Synchtube from next week onwards though.

This is really, really good and everyone should have a look at it.
I spend far too much time on synchtube then I should, including screwing around on my own channel and being a mod in another, so I could do it without needing much, if anything, explained(not that its hard to learn or anything).

OMG Aero

DeadPhoenix said:
I spend far too much time on synchtube then I should, including screwing around on my own channel and being a mod in another, so I could do it without needing much, if anything, explained(not that its hard to learn or anything).
Okay, I sent you a PM to sort out the playlists and stuff so as soon as we get that sorted out you are in charge for this week.

Cheerilee

Calpain said:
Rarity's laugh made this comic.

This bit here though...

...I would have to argue with. I don't think Rarity needs any sort of scenario in which you could argue that her magic might be in some way better than Twilight's. Ranking on a magical power level chart is not part of what makes Rarity great. That's Twilight's thing.

It's like if a Fluttershy fan tried to suggest that Fluttershy's wingspan was 2 inches longer than Rainbow Dash's. It says that they're uncomfortable with the fact that Rainbow Dash can outfly Fluttershy, when that shouldn't bother any real Fluttershy fan.

Rarity enjoys archery. Even more, she enjoys stylish archery, and picnics. That's all that's needed. No need to suggest that other Unicorns couldn't do the same thing if they wanted.

Also, Twilight picked like... a thousand apples simultaneously.

ruby_onix said:
...I would have to argue with. I don't think Rarity needs any sort of scenario in which you could argue that her magic might be in some way better than Twilight's. Ranking on a magical power level chart is not part of what makes Rarity great. That's Twilight's thing.

It's like if a Fluttershy fan tried to suggest that Fluttershy's wingspan was 2 inches longer than Rainbow Dash's. It says that they're uncomfortable with the fact that Rainbow Dash can outfly Fluttershy, when that shouldn't bother any real Fluttershy fan.

Rarity enjoys archery. Even more, she enjoys stylish archery, and picnics. That's all that's needed. No need to suggest that other Unicorns couldn't do the same thing if they wanted.

I would have to agree with this. The comic stands well on it's own without the need to try and turn it into some "All praise the great and powerful Rarity for she is so much better than Twilight" type shtick. People shouldn't feel a need to do something like that just to make a positive fan comic about a character they like.

OMG Aero

01ahz.gif

Oh hey I think my internet is working now so I might be able to do the Synchtube this week after all. I'll still make sure that DeadPhoenix can do it just in case though.

Man you guys have no idea how awful it is to browse the internet using a mobile dongle that takes four minutes to download 1MB.

Nishastra

Banned
Well, I was online during the early 90s, so I have a pretty good idea what it's like to download things more slowly than that. No dongles, though. That's just going too far :p

I missed the last synchtube. Hope I can make it to this one, whoever's running it!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
ruby_onix said:
This bit here though...

I am sorry, but I will have to argue with you, in this case. It is true that Rarity needs no "enhancements" to be great. But I see absolutely no harm in fans imagining her to have this particular advantage, especially when it fits nicely with what we've seen of her, and particularly when combined with this particular application. It's a small thrill to see her portrayed as being a "closet badass", and we can imagine it as being her little secret, shared with us (as inconsequential as it may be).

It's fun. I will not let this particular thing carry the way I perceive the character, canon-wise. I'm OK with this.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And I rewatched the first bayformers movie (the only decent of the crappy trilogy) and I saw a girl carrying a pony

hahaha hasbro

burningranger

Neo Member
I just figured it was worth mentioning for those of you who have an Android phone, if you go on the marketplace, there's a really good free soundboard for all six of the mane cast. Just search for "My Little Pony Soundboard" and it should pop up.

Ookami-kun said:
You know how when Okami came out fanart of Ammy being drawn as a generic loli gijinka with a lack of uniqueness? Yeah.
Y'know what? That is one case where I completely agree with you. Amaterasu is not a human character at all in Okami, she's a dog. I don't remember her ever having dialogue, and most human characters see her as a regular dog all the time. Thus I completely agree that it would be weird to draw her as a human. No need to draw Shadow of the Colossus' Agro as a human either.

Myke Greywolf said:
I am sorry, but I will have to argue with you, in this case. It is true that Rarity needs no "enhancements" to be great. But I see absolutely no harm in fans imagining her to have this particular advantage, especially when it fits nicely with what we've seen of her, and particularly when combined with this particular application. It's a small thrill to see her portrayed as being a "closet badass", and we can imagine it as being her little secret, shared with us (as inconsequent as it may be).

It's fun. I will not let this particular thing carry the way I perceive the character, canon-wise. I'm OK with this.
I'm with Myke on this one. Maybe the Rarity-Twilight comparison was unnecessary, but it's probably true that she has good fine control. I've heard a lot of people trash Rarity's abilities, but much like Sherlock Holmes, she has a lot of skill in the areas she requires, and that's all she cares about.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Captain Fish said:
Y'know what? That is one case where I completely agree with you. Amaterasu is not a human character at all in Okami, she's a dog. I don't remember her ever having dialogue, and most human characters see her as a regular dog all the time. Thus I completely agree that it would be weird to draw her as a human. No need to draw Shadow of the Colossus' Agro as a human either.
Absolutely right. Amaterasu never speaks, and although she is clearly rational, all her mannerisms are dog-like.

BUT...

That was because she decided to manifest herself as a wolf for that particular occasion, in order to preserve the simmetry between her quest and Shiranui's story. It is no wonder, then, that some fans saw it fit to speculate on what other manifestations of the same divinity would look like.

At least, this is probably their excuse. :p

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
CHEEZMO™ said:
She can sew and stitch.

I'd say she has good control over her magic.
This²

She's the freaking standard in pin-point accuracy with a Needle, controlled by magic. How much better can you get? Teleporting roughly 2 feet away? Puh-leeeze.

OMG Aero

Myke Greywolf said:
Absolutely right. Amaterasu never speaks, and although she is clearly rational, all her mannerisms are dog-like.

BUT...

That was because she decided to manifest herself as a wolf for that particular occasion, in order to preserve the simmetry between her quest and Shiranui's story. It is no wonder, then, that some fans saw it fit to speculate on what other manifestations of the same divinity would look like.

Not to get too off topic, but I thought Shiranui was a past version of Amaterasu.
That's the impression I got from the time travel part of Okami anyway.

Bakphoon

For everyone who is disappointed about that:

L0Xh1.jpg

This is NOT the "fan"-tastic Facebook-update.

Hasbro/MLP tries to troll us... And they seem to enjoy the hype.

OiOoB.jpg

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OMG Aero said:
Not to get too off topic, but I thought Shiranui was a past version of Amaterasu.
You're probably right, stuff's confusing and I played it a long time ago.

So... err...

Hey, lookie here!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Myke Greywolf said:

BUT...

Also, Amaterasu is based off the real life Japanese myth human-like goddess Amaterasu.

OMG Aero said:

Okamiden seems to imply that she's the daughter of a male Shiranui. As gender/family ambiguous as Okami is, Okamiden is pretty explicit. It's all very confusing.

I came over to the MLP thread because Mahvel is dead and you guys are talking about Amateratsu? lol

I saw up to episode twenty three last night and my favorite cutie mark story is Pinkie Pie's story by far. The look of pure joy and excitement was so child like that it caused my heart to melt.

I <3 Pinkie Pie so much!

OMG storybook versions of episodes of the show! This is just like that book I have of the first episode of X-Men animated (with Morph and Jubilee and such). I wonder what the voice work of the plush is like.

G-Fex

Haha this thread is very amusing now, Cheezmo improved it tenfold with his pictures. Oh Cheezmo, you keep posting whatever you want, you are truly the voice of the fandom.

Choppasmith said:
It's funny, I was JUST chatting with my Mom on Skype earlier. Had to link her to my Prisoner parody since she's the biggest Prisoner fan I know. And I was telling her about the craze of "ponyfying" movies via edited trailers and we noted that no one had done James Bond yet.

Great job, man!

Everything I love has turned to ponies.

Calpain

Glad to see the comic got a great response! I'll keep my eyes open for any other parts that get posted.
AdawgDaFAB said:
Just saw these for the first time and had a good laugh. Have these been shared in the thread yet? Both are based on "Like a Boss":
PMV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whmCk_3mpDA
Comic:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3120/boss1g.png
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/5468/boss2a.png
http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/6435/boss3.png

*Edited the comic into links due to size.*

These were great as well! Who is the source of the comics? I've got a couple people asking me for an artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom