• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
mIliu.jpg

Had you only missed that one, or do you still have the ones after it to watch?

No, I stopped at the episode before (I think where Spike becomes greedy). I liked that one, but I didn't like the few episodes that came before it.

Edit: On 13 now. Hahaha oh wow are we getting on to illegitimate pony babies?

Cheerilee

Not really, as flying is done though good old fashioned wing flapping, no magic involved.

If Rainbow Dash was physically capable of making a Sonic Rainboom as a filly, it stands to reason that she should've been able to do it even easier as an adult, but for several years she was unable to do it again (and now she can seemingly call it up on a whim). And all Pegasi seem to be born with the magical ability to walk on clouds. I think there are some sort of mental/magical components to flying.

Rainbow Dash was burdened with fear and self-doubt which temporarily prevented her from realizing her potential. I suspect that living on the ground with Earth Ponies has contaminated Scootaloo's mind with Earth Pony sensibility. Pound Cake doesn't yet know anything about limits.

If Rainbow Dash was physically capable of making a Sonic Rainboom as a filly, it stands to reason that she should've been able to do it even easier as an adult, but for several years she was unable to do it again (and now she can seemingly call it up on a whim). And all Pegasi seem to be born with the magical ability to walk on clouds. I think there are some sort of mental/magical components to flying.

Rainbow Dash was burdened with fear and self-doubt which temporarily prevented her from realizing her potential. I suspect that living on the ground with Earth Ponies has contaminated Scootaloo's mind with Earth Pony sensibility. Pound Cake doesn't yet know anything about limits.

Couple of things, first she might of not been able to repeat the feat due to physical changes when she grew up with the wing-to-body size ratio shifting possibly making the move impossible to pull off and second it's shown that she forgot the proper technique as she went 1 leg forward until the end when she went 2 legs forward which balanced her and thus allowed her to pull it off.

Scootaloo's wings are probably too small/weak for her to get enough lift.

Walking on clouds = magic
Flying = physical

Fluttershy proved it as she was a poor flier but could easily walk on the clouds.

pretty sure that the fannon is that all ponies have magic.

unicorns release it from their horns for all sorts of stuff
pegasii release if from their spread out wings for flight
earth ponies release it from their hooves for strength

Cheerilee

pretty sure that the fannon is that all ponies have magic.

Faust actually confirmed that one.

"Pegasi have involuntary magic that allows them to do things like walk on clouds"

Of course, regardless of whether Pegasi fly using wing strength or magical power or mental clarity or whatever, I think the core of the discussion is that a baby was seen to be a better flyer than Scootaloo. But Rainbow Dash already proved that flying ability can go up and down and then up again.

There might be reason to be concerned about Scootaloo's flying ability, or impressed with Pound Cake's ability, but there still isn't enough info to draw negative conclusions about Scootaloo.

Cheerilee

this science hinges on the assumption that carrot cake is the father.
it would work just as well if the father was a pegasus[P/u] and genes were P>U>D dominate.

It's actually possible (but rare) for a mother to have non-identical twins with two different fathers.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
It's actually possible (but rare) for a mother to have non-identical twins with two different fathers.
mmm, in which case all we would know is that either pegasus or unicorn genes are dominant over dirt genes or each other. [because mrs cake could either be [d/d] and both are dominant or [D/p or D/u] in which case D is dominant over one of them [say u] and P is dominant over U or D or both.

Cheerilee

mmm, in which case all we would know is that either pegasus or unicorn genes are dominant over dirt genes or each other. [because mrs cake could either be [d/d] and both are dominant or [D/p or D/u] in which case D is dominant over one of them [say u] and P is dominant over U or D or both.

I still can't wrap my head around this, but then again, I aced genetics through the power of the multiple choice test.

But, I think I've managed to solve the problem, by throwing more theoretical genes at it!

The three basic genes of pony type all come in two forms, dominant and recessive.

Earth has dominant Earth [E] and recessive Earth [e].
Pegasus has has dominant Pegasus [P] and recessive Pegasus [p].
Unicorn has dominant Unicorn and recessive Unicorn .

A mix of dominant and recessive always displays as the dominant one.
A mix of two recessives picks one to display randomly.
A mix of two dominants makes an Alicorn (or maybe just a demi-god, like Pinkie).

If we assume Mrs Cake wasn't sleeping around, then Mrs Cake was [E/u] or [e/u], and Mr Cake was [E/p] or [e/p], because both families displayed as Earth Ponies but carried long-hidden non-Earth genes. It's only because both parents contributed exclusively recessive genes (if either baby picked up Earth genes, they had to be recessive Earth genes) that their children were able to display some long-unseen genes.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
'its random' is an unsavoury solution.

it could just be that all ponies have unicorn and pegasus genes, but ponies have transcription regulator genes that prevent the expression of unicorn/pegasus parts. Alicorns dont have either regulator, earth ponies have both. these regulators could be extremely common and have passive advantages for ponies within each population. [say for example that the unicorn gene also makes bones denser, which is why pegasus select against it, etc, etc]

I came across some MLP magazine today while traversing the overly expensive Marks & Spencer, i'd be lying if I said I wasn't intrigued by the contents within, all I know is that it came with Twilight's genuine photo viewer or something, said photos were to contain friendship.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
this fanbase would be robbed of much of its charm and attraction if there wasn't people willing to explore the genetics of ponies based off of a baby episode.

Foxix Von

this fanbase would be robbed of much of its charm and attraction if there wasn't people willing to explore the genetics of ponies based off of a baby episode.

Bingo.

I know that I didn't personally sign up as a brony to be a pony geneticist but you guys keep doing your thing and keep on truckin'.

This is the most likely scenario in my mind. Bah @ genetics, she's a whorse.
Buuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrnnnnn.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a surge of smutty Mrs. Cake pics, at least on Ponibooru (I don't about places like FIMChan). When I saw the reaction, I thought "Uh oh, hope Fox News doesn't pull a Mass Effect and make a report on MLP promoting sexual deviancy and adultery."

I actually thought "Hey, it's a kids show. Let's just say they both have crazy genetics and a super rare, genetic anomaly induced by a reaction to their innate magic.

And Lauren pretty much said the same thing.

ubhag.png

As for Scootaloo, well she's a NORMAL pegasus with NORMAL pegasus parents (most likely), so her flying skill is probably normal while Pound Cake's a genetic anomaly, much like say, a genius, his genetics gave him with strong fast-developing wings.

Oh and I finally went through my backlog of Music and PMVs on EqD that I missed when I was on vacation in October, how did we all miss THIS little gem of a song

http://youtu.be/9bIQ8DpGHnk

Cheerilee

This is the most likely scenario in my mind. Bah @ genetics, she's a whorse.

At the bare minimum, Mr Cake appears to believe it.

He explains that his "great great great great grandfather" was a Unicorn, so there's a chance his family carried some surprising recessive genes, but then he says that Mrs Cake's "great aunt second cousin twice removed" (which makes no sense) was a Unicorn, so she carried some surprising recessive genes too, and then he does this odd thing with his eyes and asks "And that makes sense, right?"

He's not convinced, and he's afraid that she cheated on him, but he's gone into denial about it.

As for Scootaloo, well she's a NORMAL pegasus with NORMAL pegasus parents (most likely), so her flying skill is probably normal while Pound Cake's a genetic anomaly, much like say, a genius, his genetics gave him with strong fast-developing wings.
Scootaloo lives on the ground in an Earth Pony town, so I doubt she's normal by Pegasus standards. She might have an Earth Pony parent, and if she grew up on the ground, it might account for her lack of flying. Birds who don't get pushed to fall from the nest (because the nest was built too low to the ground) usually never learn to fly.

And I know Fluttershy lived in the clouds and falling didn't help her learn to fly, but she's unusual, and getting dropped doesn't always work anyways.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
At the bare minimum, Mr Cake appears to believe it.

He explains that his "great great great great grandfather" was a Unicorn, so there's a chance his family carried some surprising recessive genes, but then he says that Mrs Cake's "great aunt second cousin twice removed" (which makes no sense) was a Unicorn, so she carried some surprising recessive genes too, and then he does this odd thing with his eyes and asks "And that makes sense, right?"

He's not convinced, and he's afraid that she cheated on him, but he's gone into denial about it.
hmmm. it occurs to me that the fact that the aunt is the closest unicorn relative proves that Dirtpony genes are dominant over unicorn genes.

since the aunt is not a direct relative to mrs. cake, mrs. cakes great grand relative [who had the aunt as a sister] must have been D/u. if the great relative was u/u it would make no sense to use the aunt as an example because the great relative would be closer related to mrs. cake than the aunt, so the great relative must not have been a unicorn, if the relative was d/d or d/p or p/p, there would be no unicorn genes in mrs. cakes family.

buuuuut, if dirt pony genes are dominant and mr. cake was the source of the pegasus genes, where did the second unicorn allele come from?

mrs. cake is D/u
mr. cake is D/p

shortcake is u/u, mr. cake cannot be shortcakes father if the closest living unicorn relative was an aunt.

tl;dr
if great aunt is the closest unicorn relative
great relative [who the aunt was a sister to] must not have been a unicorn.
if mrs. cake has unicon genes, they must have passed through great relative.
therefore great relative is D/u or P/u
either way, u is recessive.
if u is recessive, mr. cake could not have fathered both children. a p/u pony could though.

blamite

So I got bored in class and drew this.

MEpyG.png

Not terrible considering it's just my second attempt, I think.

For reference, here's my first try drawing a pony:

EnCri.png

(did I mention it was so screwed up looking that I just turned it into a duck)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom