• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck

Still without luck
Wah, a cartoon character is dumb, that offends me.

The problem isn't that she's dumb and clumsy, it's that she is those things and she sounds like she's mentally challenged. If you can't understand how that could be offensive to people then I don't know what to say.

The word "derpy" has some decidedly non-fuzzy wuzzy origins. I get that it doesn't hit any of your personal buttons, but it's kinda like using "gay" or "fag" as an insult. It's not the end of the world, but it's dregs upsome less than stellar moments for some people. Thoughtful and courteous people either don't use it or take the criticism in the spirit it's intended when notified of its effect.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
The word "derpy" has some decidedly non-fuzzy wuzzy origins. I get that it doesn't hit any of your personal buttons, but it's kinda like using "gay" or "fag" as an insult. It's not the end of the world, but it's dregs upsome less than stellar moments for some people. Thoughtful and courteous people either don't use it or take the criticism in the spirit it's intended when notified of its effect.

My only quibble with the character is the name, I suppose. I'm just torn between being my usual social crusader self and being annoyed at people sending hate mail over the character not being right. I was so close to starting a post with "As someone with a neurological condition..." but I stopped myself. It's selfish.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The problem isn't that she's dumb and clumsy, it's that she is those things and she sounds like she's mentally challenged. If you can't understand how that could be offensive to people then I don't know what to say.

Honestly she sounds less offensive when you compare her to G3 or G1.

This is all because she was a minor cameo in the episode.

If she had an entire episode dedicated to her, they could use her as a tool to show a positive depiction of a mentally handicapped character who fits into society with friends, family, and a job.

Chuck

Still without luck
If she had an entire episode dedicated to her, they could use her as a tool to show a positive depiction of a mentally handicapped character who fits into society with friends, family, and a job.

Absolutely agreed.

Unfortunately, they didn't do this. They just made her clumsy and stupid and a one-off at the beginning of an episode.

akira28

If they've ruined Derpy...so help me...
I thought the voice was fine. So she's got a husky sort of voice, some women do. She doesn't talk much, she's clumsy and destructively so. If their concern trolling makes it so they change the name and quit with the appearances, or with her being a speaking character...there will be blood.

She doesn't even have to be mentally disabled. Just an awkward and clumsy pony. Good natured, and shy, slightly dopey. There have been side characters just like that in sitcoms since forever.

brian577

Banned

And how is this different from Snails? Why is it OK for Snails to be clearly mentally handicapped but not Derpy. His name implies stupidity just like Derpy's, where's the outrage?

Chuck

Still without luck
And how is this different from Snails? Why is it OK for Snails to be clearly mentally handicapped but not Derpy. His name implies stupidity just like Derpy's, where's the outrage?

I think Snips and Snails are awful characters and offensive as well. I wish there was outrage for them too. But what they did in Boast Busters wasn't as bad as Derpy who was just wrecking everything in site while being completely oblivious to the fact. Hell, she can act all clumsy without being oblivious and without her voice being like that and it wouldn't have been bad at all.

Orcastar

This is all because she was a minor cameo in the episode.

The thing is, she's not mentally handicapped, is she? At least the show hasn't made any indication of the fact; based on her appearances in the show so far, she's just clumsy and destructive. No, her voice is not indicative of a mental disorder, neither are her eyes.

This is what I don't get about this whole "outrage". Some people are saying her depiction offends disabled people but she's not disabled. From what I've read about the origins of the word "derp", her name doesn't imply a mental handicap either. It's not a colloquialism with a clear-cut meaning.

I think Snips and Snails are awful characters and offensive as well. I wish there was outrage for them too. But what they did in Boast Busters wasn't as bad as Derpy who was just wrecking everything in site while being completely oblivious to the fact. Hell, she can act all clumsy like without her voice being like that.

So are mentally challenged people infallible now? Should we segregate them rather than treating them like people? Metnally challenged people can do dumb things just like everyone else. Putting a type of people above the rest is just disgusting.

brian577

Banned
So are mentally challenged people infallible now? Should we segregate them rather than treating them like people? Metnally challenged people can do dumb things just like everyone else. Putting a type of people above the rest is just disgusting.

The politically correct and hypersensitive almost always discriminate and hate more often than the people and things they rail against.

Chuck

Still without luck
The thing is, she's not mentally handicapped, is she? At least the show hasn't made any indication of the fact; based on her appearances in the show so far, she's just clumsy and destructive. No, her voice is not indicative of a mental disorder, neither are her eyes.

I think this is the point of contention here. I would say it absolutely is what most people would call an example of how most mentally challenged people speak. I am in no way saying this is true because I don't know, but that's what people think.

That is not what I said at all. The depiction of characters in the show that may be mentally handicapped has been almost entirely negative. That is a problem.

Honestly, you uptight fans will be the death of me. This was featured on EQD if I recall, and doesn't show anything (compared to other 'saucy' stuff I HAVE seen on there)! I...ugh! and it isn't Pandaman/Cheezmo level of 'oddness' either (even though I love those guys =p). /frustration

*sigh* ...I just think you are overreacting. Love and tolerate =)

I fully respect your view of blocking people, but it DOES sort of make this relatively new guy here weary of posting art. I actually thought the above was funny and wanted to post it earlier, even outside of the 'shipping' that is implied or whatever. Anyway...
it's for at work purposes. people disagree that this place should be a very strict safe for work thread, so ignoring people is the best way to deal with my issue. and when I get home, i have the fun fun fun task of clicking on 20+ "view this [ignored] post" links to see what I missed out on

and hell no do i go to EqD that place is terrible, even with fanfiction mode off. hell just that a thing like that exists means i will never go there. at work.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
it's for at work purposes. people disagree that this place should be a very strict safe for work thread, so ignoring people is the best way to deal with my issue. and when I get home, i have the fun fun fun task of clicking on 20+ "view this [ignored] post" links to see what I missed out on

and hell no do i go to EqD that place is terrible, even with fanfiction mode off. hell just that a thing like that exists means i will never go there. at work.

You seriously blocked Orcastar for that? Don't browse GAF at work bro. You'll get no sympathy from me.

brian577

Banned
Cancel Panic Mode
DHX.png

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mean-spirited humor is not what MLP is about.

You seriously blocked Orcastar for that? Don't browse GAF at work bro. You'll get no sympathy from me.
Have you ever ignored anyone on a forum? This forum says a post has been ignored, and provides a link to open the post up and read it. Sooner or later I click all ignored posts anyways and read them so it's not an issue.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
I think this is the point of contention here. I would say it absolutely is what most people would call an example of how most mentally challenged people speak. I am in no way saying this is true because I don't know, but that's what people think.
Derpy is being portrayed like a female, equine version of Goofy, down to the silly speech pattern. Would you say that Goofy is mentally challenged, or that his characterization is mean-spirited?

Heck, I can play out, in my head, the EXACT same exchange between Dash and Derpy, happening between Donald and Goofy.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Derpy is being portrayed like a female, equine version of Goofy, down to the silly speech pattern. Would you say that Goofy is mentally challenged, or that his characterization is mean-spirited?

Heck, I can play out, in my head, the EXACT same exchange between Dash and Derpy, happening between Donald and Goofy.

That's actually a pretty good analogy!

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Would you say that Goofy is mentally challenged, or that his characterization is mean-spirited?

You know, I would say yes and no to that. It does open up a whole other can of worms however - and I still don't want to sound like I'm crying out for changes to the show, just throwing in my two cents.

I knew there was hatred on the whole "Derpy voice" thing a while back, but I had no idea it was this crazy.

66ad62c5ca8160eefbfc6c27f839e5fc.png

I mean, seriously, writing letters and such..I just don't know. Having been along other fandoms, such as the old "Ed Edd and Eddie," with NO complaints about Ed's character other than sometimes being misunderstood by those outside the fandom, I don't get why the Derpy's voice drives people to go nuts.

I mean I fully understand criticism, but bad letters and bullshit to the writers is surely not a way to go about things. Maybe I am reading into this too much. As someone who has a somewhat verbal Autistic Uncle , who doesn't sound 'derpy' or whatever, this nonsense is bordering on offensive.

Ehh, I am going to drink and eat something...think I hit the point of too much MLP things today.

Fuck you idiot, she is called Derpy. Deal with it. (Not you Nobodyspatzy, I was referring to the image member)

Cancel Panic Mode
DHX.png

YES!
Its fun that some idiots want to invent their own imagination place for themselves and other, only to someone discover they were lying.

Derpy IS NOT mentally challenged. She is only clumsy and exagerated for the jokes impact. It a cartoon character FFS!
Whats next? Calling Disney so they cant use Goofy anymore?

The worst thing is all this animators and writters, that they only think they were doing an inoccent klutz, just like many cartoon have, and it has blown out of propotion by some idiots making this professionals feel bad.

Cheerilee

I knew there was hatred on the whole "Derpy voice" thing a while back, but I had no idea it was this crazy.

66ad62c5ca8160eefbfc6c27f839e5fc.png

I mean, seriously, writing letters and such..I just don't know. Having been along other fandoms, such as the old "Ed Edd and Eddie," with NO complaints about Ed's character other than sometimes being misunderstood by those outside the fandom, I don't get why the Derpy's voice drives people to go nuts.

I mean I fully understand criticism, but bad letters and bullshit to the writers is surely not a way to go about things. Maybe I am reading into this too much. As someone who has a somewhat verbal Autistic Uncle , who doesn't sound 'derpy' or whatever, this nonsense is bordering on offensive.

Ehh, I am going to drink and eat something...think I hit the point of too much MLP things today.

From what I've read, five upset people sent hate mail to Amy Rogers, and it genuinely bummed her out, so she wrote back and apologized to those people. These guys claimed victory and played up their cause (saying "a lot" of people emailed her), but then 30 people sent her fanmail, which cheered her right up again plus some (and these people got personal replies too).

And that was about a week ago. It was over before we even heard of it over here. So yeah, crisis averted.

I totally understand why the name might be offending to some people. I don't blame them for feeling bad about that or for writing (what I assume to be calm and reasoned) letters*.

I do have a problem with people suggesting that her characterization be changed. Whether or not she came off as developmentally disabled or not, it's indefensible. There's no reason why Studio B shouldn't be allowed to explore stories with any character they decide to create.

However we also have the fans who can't deal with their head canon or fanon being countered by the show. I could see their disagreements in my mind as soon as the scene happened. If those people are pretending to be offended to affect change, then fuck 'em.

*If it was just hate mail then that's obviously not okay.

I thought the scene was cute, frankly, even with butch Derpy. Granted, Derpy probably should've stayed purely in the background, as she had been up to this point, but I'm sure as heck not gonna complain.

There's being uncomfortable about a name and then there's over reacting about over reactions, you know.

The idiot thing was more about being a liar about the subject, the deal with it was because of Ditzy. Im sorry if ti seems i was overreacting because of the name, I was more angry about what he really said than the name thing.

But people need to stop calling characters how they want instead of their real canon name the writers chose at the end. Is like if I really hated someone called Mickey, so because I really like Mickey Mouse as a character I changed his name to Mortimer Mouse (his possible first name that disneys wife didnt like, I also know theres already a disney character called Mortimer Mouse), and start talking to people saying "Hey have you seen the short about Mortimer Mouse in a steamboat?"
It doesnt make sense.
The same about the ditzy name.
The people creating this problems are usually the same fans, for example, that get really angry because of the little pony that resembles Derpy and fans wanted to be her daughter, so when they see it in the Sisterhooves social episode with another differnt pony that invalidates their imagination they overeact on the internets about it and send hate mail to the writters and animators. The same thing that happened with Luna in the halloween episode.
Thats the worst thing about this fandom. Thank god they really seem to be a vocal monority blowing things out of proportion.

And now to something more lighthearted :)
2a3.png

I'm sad we'll never see him again. :<

LGCzul.jpg

I thought the winner of Naughty or Nice was supposed to have a special short? Discord and Pinkie won the thing.

akira28

When Derpy grabs for Rainbow Dash as she's falling into the hole, I completely lost it. It just happened so quickly and she's so good at unintentional mayhem. She's my new favorite pony. I loooove Derpy, she's so sympathetically clumsy and that makes her even more cute.

Chuck

Still without luck

Well, I would absolutely say that Goofy's character as it was in the 30's, 40's and 50's would, for the most part, be offensive by today's standards. Disney just evolved him into something more than a bumbling and clumsy character. Derpy is only give 90 seconds or so to shine and all that happend was her acting like an fool with a voice that many would say resembles that of a mentally handicapped person.

I'm sad we'll never see him again. :<

LGCzul.jpg

I thought the winner of Naughty or Nice was supposed to have a special short? Discord and Pinkie won the thing.
Have they actually said "yeah, you're never gonna see Discord again"? I mean, sure, bringing him back would sorely cheapen his defeat at the end of "The Return of Harmony", but they could make it work - say, a bigger bad rounds up and releases all the menaces that have tormented the characters in the entire series as a means to some greater end. Like, I dunno, reach back to Gen 1 and have Tirek cry havoc or something.

judhudson

When Derpy grabs for Rainbow Dash as she's falling into the hole, I completely lost it. It just happened so quickly and she's so good at unintentional mayhem. She's my new favorite pony. I loooove Derpy, she's so sympathetically clumsy and that makes her even more cute.

This. She's ranked up there now with perhaps my most favorite pony. Her appearance was down right adorable/hilarious.

Chuck

Still without luck
Manufacturing is Magic.

And Shout is too busy yelling at pirates to look at these different methods of making blu-rays. Or they're a small company. I guess I don't know.

judhudson

Manufacturing is Magic.

And Shout is too busy yelling at pirates to look at these different methods of making blu-rays. Or they're a small company. I guess I don't know.

They may be small, but looking at their lineup of upcoming releases, they are pumping out a ton of DVD's. Kinda baffles me that some shows I've never even heard of seem to have a more popular fanbase than MLP right now...

I will never understand the instinctual aversion most people have to applying the slightest bit of courtesy when it comes to depictions of those who are different from them in the media they consume. "I did not see a problem, therefore there is no problem," is far from an airtight syllogism, particularly when you are a member of a privileged group whose experience is likely to systematically blind you to such problems, but I suppose it's not surprising that one's attachment to one's fandom overrides logic and good sense.

Well, I am glad to see both a re-assuring follow-up, and some healthy discussion on the subject of Derpy. I am hopeful she continues in some way shape or form, not for myself, but because my little sister really likes her. But if she were put as a background pony again, that would be ok by me (I would treat her like that snail in Adventure Time, seeking and chuckling when I find her, and her clones =p).

Anyway, glad all that is taken care of and I am hopeful we, as a fandom, do not push Studio B and the others behind the series away. I do like it when the creator's acknowledge the fans, but I do know sometimes, maybe it is for the best to keep one arm close, and the other away =p

RE: Amazon..I do wish they had that option..mainly as I really like Amazon's video service thing more than iTunes, but we shall see what they decide to do. I just want a solution that includes you all from outside the US too. If possible...

Orcastar

I will never understand the instinctual aversion most people have to applying the slightest bit of courtesy when it comes to depictions of those who are different from them in the media they consume. "I did not see a problem, therefore there is no problem," is far from an airtight syllogism, particularly when you are a member of a privileged group whose experience is likely to systematically blind you to such problems, but I suppose it's not surprising that one's attachment to one's fandom overrides logic and good sense.
It seems to me that what you're doing here is saying "I think there is a problem, therefore there is a problem." Your analogy is hardly airtight either since the word "derp" is not a colloquialism like the words "gay" and "fag"; there is no consensus over the actual meaning of the word. Some people are claiming that it's a dismissive and insulting term used to refer to the mentally handicapped, while others are saying it refers to stupid or ignorant actions. You can argue that the origins of the word tend toward the former meaning, but even that seems to be a matter of debate.

So what are the options here? To debate the issue like we have done and try to reach some sort of consensus, or to stop using the word because it might offend some people? And the key word here is might; the word was not an issue for the writer of the episode, who, as we have heard, is certainly not blind to the problems we've been debating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom