• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I have some sympathy for Shout factory, they've delt in a lot of pop-culture and I can imagine they've been bitten in the ass a few times by a vocal fanbase that doesn't put their money where their mouth it. Not saying the MLP fandom would do the same, just that I can understand their caution.

Link Man

Banned
I have some sympathy for Shout factory, they've delt in a lot of pop-culture and I can imagine they've been bitten in the ass a few times by a vocal fanbase that doesn't put their money where their mouth it. Not saying the MLP fandom would do the same, just that I can understand their caution.

This fan community has a lot of disposable income it seems, though.

Foxix Von

So Shout Factory basically hates us (as if we didn't know that already).

http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/5243/thread.aspx
http://twitter.com/#!/BWard028/status/162713590212739073

Basically, MLP:FIM's not getting dual DVD/Blu box sets like Transformers. We have to suffer through standard definition. And single discs. And rearranged episodes.

Someone started a thread on Shout's forum the other day asking why (although it's sort of been explained before but not well).

Brian Ward: Because children. Also, the single discs aren't testing the waters for a box set. MLP box sets are not happening.

Helpful user: Well, we could just legally buy all the single discs and rip them and rearrange the episodes and make custom box sets for ourselves, and then leave the homemade box next to the single discs on our shelves. It's still not HD, but it's something.

Brian Ward: No. Rearranging you own legally purchased episodes into a box is piracy. Suffer.

Someone asks if he's actually made or seen any sort of market research as to the size of the brony audience, because he thinks it's big and maybe it's worth it.

Brian Ward: Sarcastic comment.

Someone points out that his first DVD with rearranged episodes has the freaking Derpy episode on it.

Brian tweets that he hates things that were born on the internet.

At this point I'm seriously thinking I should just cancel my preorder of the first DVD.

Great now I just feel bad/mad. What gets me too is the fact they really don't seem to care... like at all. It's surprising to me that there is quite a vocal following of the show and yet there has been absolutely no market research into expanding and profiting off of the demographic.

I wan't to give you money and you don't seem to want it.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
See, stuff like what Brian wrote pisses me off. If you bought the series on iTunes then you should have every right to backup your data and put them onto DVDs if you wish.
depending where you live, you do. they don't get to decide what is and is not piracy.

Curiocity

We're influential enough to get Derpy canonized, but not enough to influence the goods produced. Besides, don't they know how little girls marathon movies/shows? Dvd sets would so sell.

I don't even care that they make creepy G4-esque plushies that make Baby Pinkie Pie call out to you in French when you walk innocently by in the children's aisle. There's enough legit stuff floating around to almost (almost) make it okay. But if I was a kid, I would sure as hell know if my Pinkie Pie was the wrong Pinkie Pie and I would throw chairs.

The marketing people might as well be watching a different show. >:\

We're influential enough to get Derpy canonized, but not enough to influence the goods produced. The marketing people might as well be watching a different show. >:\

Marketing's on our side, too. Remember Equestria Girls? (not to mention th steadily improving quality of the toys). It's really merchandizing that has no clue about us.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
We're influential enough to get Derpy canonized, but not enough to influence the goods produced. Besides, don't they know how little girls marathon movies/shows? Dvd sets would so sell.

I don't even care that they make creepy G4-esque plushies that make Baby Pinkie Pie call out to you in French when you walk innocently by in the children's aisle. There's enough legit stuff floating around to almost (almost) make it okay. But if I was a kid, I would sure as hell know if my Pinkie Pie was the wrong Pinkie Pie and I would throw chairs.

The marketing people might as well be watching a different show. >:\
>_>
<_<

My sister and I ALWAYS stop by the MLP isle at our local Wal-Mart. ALWAYS.

Haven't noticed the French baby talk. But then we usually don't examine the babies very much. Creepy things...

Cheerilee

Marketing's on our side, too. Remember Equestria Girls? (not to mention th steadily improving quality of the toys). It's really merchandizing that has no clue about us.

Actually, Equestria Girls was put together (and given to Equestria Daily to put on Youtube) by The Hub, as a TV advertisement. They're a unique branch of Pony marketing.

The Hub's also apparently the reason why the show is available on iTunes in the USA (along with Transformers Prime and every other Hub show), even though that's supposed to be bad for their ratings.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
The main musical influence for the Flim Flam Brothers song (which I find to be absolutely phonomenal) has been identified by knowledgeable fans as a number from "The Music Man" called "Ya Got Trouble".

If you watch and listen all the way through you'll catch the similarities, from the fast-talking rap of the salesman capturing his audience's attention with FUD, to the crowd's chant near the end.

Sciz

The main musical influence for the Flim Flam Brothers song (which I find to be absolutely phonomenal) has been identified by knowledgeable fans as a number from "The Music Man" called "Ya Got Trouble".

If you watch and listen all the way through you'll catch the similarities, from the fast-talking rap of the salesman capturing his audience's attention with FUD, to the crowd's chant near the end.

I can't believe there are so many people who haven't seen The Music Man. Find a copy and watch it. Fantastic movie.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Have some SOSHYULIZUM:

1327692375.commie-furs_scan0012.jpg

Sorry, Cheezmo made me post this.

MENDACITY!

annnnnnd that's 6

Honestly, you uptight fans will be the death of me. This was featured on EQD if I recall, and doesn't show anything (compared to other 'saucy' stuff I HAVE seen on there)! I...ugh! and it isn't Pandaman/Cheezmo level of 'oddness' either (even though I love those guys =p). /frustration

*sigh* ...I just think you are overreacting. Love and tolerate =)

I fully respect your view of blocking people, but it DOES sort of make this relatively new guy here weary of posting art. I actually thought the above was funny and wanted to post it earlier, even outside of the 'shipping' that is implied or whatever. Anyway...

judhudson

I dont mind the artwork that Orca posted, but IMO I suppose I could see why Owlowiscious is putting folks on ignore...due to the fact that he may want a safe-for-work Ponies thread and have nothing questionable pop up.

Personally I'd rather see anything questionable as a link (with possible heads up) that it may not be work-safe rather than outright ignore folks. But in Orca's case, it really didn't show anything, but it still implies adult instances which may not go over well.

CHEEZMO™

Obsidian fan
Honestly, you uptight fans will be the death of me. This was featured on EQD if I recall, and doesn't show anything (compared to other 'saucy' stuff I HAVE seen on there)! I...ugh! and it isn't Pandaman/Cheezmo level of 'oddness' either (even though I love those guys =p). /frustration

*sigh* ...I just think you are overreacting. Love and tolerate =)

I fully respect your view of blocking people, but it DOES sort of make this relatively new guy here weary of posting art. I actually thought the above was funny and wanted to post it earlier, even outside of the 'shipping' that is implied or whatever. Anyway...

He doesn't mean it ;)

Because if he did, he'd be a massive hypocrite given how he constantly uses innuendo to imply that he wishes to perform cunnilingus on Scootaloo in the IRC.
Real bad form indeed.

Yeah, I think if I do post anything that I find 'questionable' I shall link it. No need for derailing things anymore than they may have already done, and it would give people the option as well!

Hmm, I had this rather nice Big Mac and Doctor Whooves pic I really liked, but now I cannot find it. I'll look when I get back on a computer where I don't have to browse privately =p

Oh Luna, you are so small and cute! /(^3^)\

Cheerilee

Comic time!

Sorry, Cheezmo made me post this.

Somebody on Ponychan theorized that Discord came to Equestria shortly after it was formed, and that he disassembled the three Leaders and their three Assistants and combined them like Lego into two triple-power, immortal super-beings, Celestia and Luna, because he was feeling bored.

I knew there was hatred on the whole "Derpy voice" thing a while back, but I had no idea it was this crazy.

66ad62c5ca8160eefbfc6c27f839e5fc.png

I mean, seriously, writing letters and such..I just don't know. Having been along other fandoms, such as the old "Ed Edd and Eddie," with NO complaints about Ed's character other than sometimes being misunderstood by those outside the fandom, I don't get why the Derpy's voice drives people to go nuts.

I mean I fully understand criticism, but bad letters and bullshit to the writers is surely not a way to go about things. Maybe I am reading into this too much. As someone who has a somewhat verbal Autistic Uncle , who doesn't sound 'derpy' or whatever, this nonsense is bordering on offensive.

Ehh, I am going to drink and eat something...think I hit the point of too much MLP things today.

brian577

Banned
I knew there was hatred on the whole "Derpy voice" thing a while back, but I had no idea it was this crazy.

I mean, seriously, writing letters and such..I just don't know. Having been along other fandoms, such as the old "Ed Edd and Eddie," with NO complaints about Ed's character other than sometimes being misunderstood by those outside the fandom, I don't get why the Derpy's voice drives people to go nuts.

I mean I fully understand criticism, but bad letters and bullshit to the writers is surely not a way to go about things. Maybe I am reading into this too much. As someone who has a somewhat verbal Autistic Uncle , who doesn't sound 'derpy' or whatever, this nonsense is bordering on offensive.

Ehh, I am going to drink and eat something...think I hit the point of too much MLP things today.

Great, now Derpy will never speak again. Thanks a lot assholes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
She never should have been anything but a background character anyways. I really can't fault the writers. I do think they went to far with making her a total idiot, but I'd put more of the blame on the director in charge of the VA.

Cheerilee

This is why we can't have nice things.

Personally, I thought the show just needed to be careful not to make fun of retarded people (I don't think Derpy is about that), and to try not to look like they were making fun of retarded people. I thought that the voice pushed the line just a little bit too far. Not even the entire voice, just one or two moments.

Then I heard that Tabitha was under the impression that she was voicing a male, which solved everything to my satisfaction. If you ask me, it was just barely over the line for a girl (nothing to get upset about, just wait and see if it gets better/worse), but completely acceptable for a boy.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
People gettin' mad at a cartoon for kids.

She never should have been anything but a background character anyways. I really can't fault the writers. I do think they went to far with making her a total idiot, but I'd put more of the blame on the director in charge of the VA.

Says something about fandoms on the internet when there's "blame" to be to thrown around for a non-existent problem.

Orcastar

Studio B adds a nice and humourous scene to the series as a shoutout to the adult fans.

Some adult fans take offence because they do not like the way a character that only exists because of the adult fans is depicted in said scene.

Hasbro and Studio B apologise profusely for ever pandering to adult fans and decide to never do it again.

EDIT: You know what would make this even better? If they decided to remove the scene from the DVD release.

Did I say better? I meant tragicomic.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Studio B adds a nice and humourous scene to the series as a shoutout to the adult fans.

Some adult fans take offence because they do not like the way a character that only exists because of the adult fans is depicted in said scene.

Hasbro and Studio B apologise profusely for ever pandering to adult fans and decide to never do it again.

You get a gold star. I can't help but think myself that it's partly adult fans coming to the realisation that the character isn't how she was in their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom