• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

Applejack as Getafix? Huh, I'm okay with that, although I'd have picked Fluttershy. You know, druid.

But for that joke, AJ works better.

And now to something more lighthearted :)
2a3.png

Obviously a crude drawing of Finn.
b2Iyt.png

I believe his English name is Getafix. Don't actually know his French name, but in Denmark he's "Mirakulix". He has a different name all over. Like the dog. "Dogmatix" or "Idefix"? Both are right.

Oh, so Spain and France use the same names.
Didnt know that english changed the names. Getafix sounds so strange for me lol

Looking it over, English changed most of the names. However, this isn't a bad thing, since most of the French puns simply wouldn't work in English, so they changed them to another set of puns entirely.

Things like that make me wonder how other countries handle things like Fluttershy's animal fangasm in "The Ticket Master". I mean, "hummingbirds that really hum, and buzzards that really buzz", or "blue jays and red jays and green jays, pink jays and pink flamingos"... A lot of that wouldn't really work outside of English, would it?

Looking it over, English changed most of the names. However, this isn't a bad thing, since most of the French puns simply wouldn't work in English, so they changed them to another set of puns entirely.

Things like that make me wonder how other countries handle things like Fluttershy's animal fangasm in "The Ticket Master". I mean, "hummingbirds that really hum, and buzzards that really buzz", or "blue jays and red jays and green jays, pink jays and pink flamingos"... A lot of that wouldn't really work outside of English, would it?

About the asterix thing, thats strange, as I never thought the french names had a meaning or pun. As I said, the spanish names are exactly the same and if they were so importnat as puns they would have changed them. I dont know a lot of french but Idefix in french isnt a pun of dog (chien in french and perro in spanish), so why change it to dogmatix?

And about tranlations and dubbings in other countries, well it depends. The best work for a translator is getting the puns to work, without changing a lot the meaning, but in spain at least, the official translators of MLP are not doing a great job.
But other companies like Disney do fantastic conversions, trying with lot of care to bring the joke and the same meaning with a good translation of not only dialogs, but songs aswell.
And no "hummingbirds that really hum, and buzzards that really buzz" would not really work well, at least in spanish, if they leave it literally like that.

Some members from an spanish forum and me are trying to translate so it can be sang, just like a good spanish disney movie song, the Flim Flam brothers song to spanish. And let me tell you, its not an easy task, this song is really tricky, and creating good rhymes in spanish is not very easy with some of dialog of the flim flam bros. But apart of that, we are having lots of fun doing it.
Its a pity that the official guys are going to destroy it in the translation they are going to do :(

About the asterix thing, thats strange, as I never thought the french names had a meaning or pun. As I said, the spanish names are exactly the same and if they were so importnat as puns they would have changed them. I dont know a lot of french but Idefix in french isnt a pun of dog (chien in french and perro in spanish), so why change it to dogmatix?
From Wikipedia:

Wikipedia said:
  • French: Idéfix (idée fixe, a "fixed idea" or "obsession", also a "prejudice"). Most translations use some variant of this original name (e.g. Ideafix in Spanish and Idefiks in Esperanto and Polish).
  • In English, Dogmatix comes from dogmatic — clinging to an unchanging set of beliefs. The pun is extended because the name also contains the word "dog".
This is one of those cases where the pun actually translated pretty well. The meaning is roughly kept, plus a dog pun is snuck in as well.

CHEEZMO™;34727205 said:
Flim or Flam.

Decide.
Flam is voiced by Scott McNeil. He also has a nifty mustache. Clearly this makes him better.

From Wikipedia:

This is one of those cases where the pun actually translated pretty well. The meaning is roughly kept, plus a dog pun is snuck in as well.

Wow, thanks, never new it was for dogmatic. In spain is dogmatico also, so I see they didnt translate the puns here lol

CHEEZMO™;34727205 said:
Flim or Flam.

Decide.

Seems that is Flim the leader of the two, but the fine moustache of Flam makes him the winner.

Wait I thought Flim was the one with the mustache. My reality is falling apart!

edit: Yeah, at 30 seconds the mustache-less brother says "He's Flim." I am not going crazy.

Ive read somewhere theres an animation error in the song and sometimes he says flim has the mnoustache and the others flam, but in Scott Mcneil's wiki page you can see he voice flam

Miunte 1:04 you can se mustache pony says the other is flim, so yeah seems to be an animation error the first time they say their names.

I've been out of the thread [for a long, long time] so I'm sorry if this has already been covered.

Is there an official read on what the deal is with The Last Roundup on iTunes? I managed to download it on one device, but when I wanted to watch it on the computer hooked up to the TV the other day, it was no longer up in the store. I've been going back and forth with iTMS customer service, and it sounds like there was some sort of licensing issue so it's not available in my region? My region is US o_O

I'm a little peeved, I went out of my way on this one to be a good honest consumer (I don't have cable or watch TV in general, so this is sorta the only thing I could do for it), paid for a season, and they're arbitrarily deciding to not give me the whole season? I really hope it's just a database fuckup.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed he did, in addition to "New Kid On The Block" and "Homer Goes to College".

Also "I call the big one Bitey" is apparently Matt Groenings all- time favorite line in the history of the show.

Is there an official read on what the deal is with The Last Roundup on iTunes? I managed to download it on one device, but when I wanted to watch it on the computer hooked up to the TV the other day, it was no longer up in the store. I've been going back and forth with iTMS customer service, and it sounds like there was some sort of licensing issue so it's not available in my region? My region is US o_O

I'm a little peeved, I went out of my way on this one to be a good honest consumer (I don't have cable or watch TV in general, so this is sorta the only thing I could do for it), paid for a season, and they're arbitrarily deciding to not give me the whole season? I really hope it's just a database fuckup.
As far as I know, there's no official statement explaining the reasoning behind it. I mean, the Derpy "scandal" would've been sufficient explanation, but since it's been debunked, that clearly isn't it. I'm kinda curious as to what's going on, too, even though I generally avoid Apple products and as such haven't purchased the season.

Articalys

So for any of you who are in the San Francisco Bay Area, Jayson Thiessen will be a guest at the mini-con Animation on Display at the Hotel Kabuki in Japantown, SF, on February 18-19. Full schedule details have yet to be revealed, but it looks like he'll have one panel on the production process and another general one, plus one fan-run panel on the fan culture (their site layout is not the best so I can't be certain).
Just something I thought it would be nice to bring to your attention, if you didn't already know about it.

Orcastar

Wait, so they're the Flim Flam brothers? Does that mean that their full names are Flim Flim Flam and Flam Flim Flam?

Also, twisty neck Twilight is back!

Cheerilee

weird segue, but I heard Conan O'brien wrote the simpsons moonorail episode, start to finish.

Indeed he did, in addition to "New Kid On The Block" and "Homer Goes to College".

Also "I call the big one Bitey" is apparently Matt Groenings all- time favorite line in the history of the show.

IIRC, Conan said that the writing on the Simpsons was very collaborative, and his job (as well as that of many other people) for a few years was to invisibly help all the writers with all of their episodes, and that when he got a turn to be the "writer" he got a lot of help, and that being the "writer" of an episode meant that you were ultimately in charge of it, and you had to decide what help was good or bad, and that you had to stitch all the good things you were being offered (plus your own ideas) together into something that made sense.

And also welcome to neogaf, i hope you have a great time!

Also applejack is awesome.

Darn tootin!

Welcome, and good choice. :)

Thank you! :)

Now to get into business. It was stated that the reason Derpy sounded so....special in her voice debut was because Ashleigh Ball originally thought Derpy was a boy. Do you think the next time we hear Derpy talk, the voice will be a little more feminine or will Ashleigh have to keep the voice the same for the sake of continuity?

Cheerilee

Now to get into business. It was stated that the reason Derpy sounded so....special in her voice debut was because Ashleigh Ball originally thought Derpy was a boy. Do you think the next time we hear Derpy talk, the voice will be a little more feminine or will Ashleigh have to keep the voice the same for the sake of continuity?

It was Tabitha St. Germain, the Rarity/Luna VA who voiced Derpy, not Ashleigh Ball, the Rainbow Dash/Applejack VA.

And no, now that she's become aware that Derpy's female, I doubt she's going to voice her exactly the same way again. I'm sure it'll become more feminine. Character voices grow and change and settle, and don't always stay consistent even under the best conditions. But she probably will "lean towards" the previous Derpy voice.

Yeah, I mean, compare Spike's voice in the first episode to Spike's voice in most recent episodes - as early as late Season 1, even. His voice got deeper. It's slight, but it's noticeable.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I would do the same, Fluttershy U_U

Welcome to the thread, Jackie!

Let me make some more kool-aid.

*lights the ahoyhoy signal*

AHOYHOY, TRANSPARANT BACKGROUND AND AVATAR THIS FOR ME

http://i.imgur.com/cAEn5.png

crop, leaving whole pony in, delete the "/ ..." on the top right and make the white background transparent.

gooooooooo. [/ahoyabuse]

Why must you force me into your strange cropping fetish demands. Sometimes you hurt me so bad :(

*runs in out of breath*
Am I late?
I also got approved today and I am now saying hello to all you ponies.
Applejack is best pony! Even if she doesn't always exemplify the Element of Honesty.
But she has a hat! So that evens it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom