• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

burningranger

Neo Member
Dark Phoenix said:
You forgot to add that the graphics are god-awful for a game in 2011.

2.0/10

What do you honestly expect out of a fan created free flash game intentionally based on the 8-bit era? You aren't usually going to get Mega Man 9/10 level graphics and experience for something comparably released nowadays.

Give me a good 8 or 16-bit game any day over generic military/space fps 271 or glorified sports game roster update '12 that you see these days.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jintor said:
/edit I'm the only published Games Journalist in this topic, aren't I? :T
Define games "journalism".

burningranger said:
What do you honestly expect out of a fan created free flash game intentionally based on the 8-bit era? You aren't usually going to get Mega Man 9/10 level graphics and experience for something comparably released nowadays.

Give me a good 8 or 16-bit game any day over generic military/space fps 271 or glorified sports game roster update '12 that you see nowadays.
Swooosh.

burningranger said:

Give me a good 8 or 16-bit game any day over generic military/space fps 271 or glorified sports game roster update '12 that you see these days.
I expect a certain amount of professionalism with games that are made nowadays. Especially for ones for such notable series as MLP. Obviously this shows the lack of the creative spirit when it comes to "fan" projects. If you aren't at least getting to HD with projects like these it's not worth looking at.

It was a joke, I think the game is amazing. SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH

Regulus Tera said:
It's been a rough year for PC owners. Exclusives have been lost, a handful of titles have been bumped from the bottom line-bolstering holiday season, and Angry Birds ubiquity is a sore reminder of social gaming. With each disappointment, more and more fans have looked to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Story of the Blanks -- a title whose screenshots have been lauded for months -- to be the saving grace of 2011.

But pinning so much on one title pretty much guarantees a letdown, doesn't it? Can Donitz live up to more than a year of mouthwatering coverage and placate fans who forked over $600 to see stellar title after stellar title come out on non-PC platforms?

Yes. Yes, it can. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Story of the Blanks is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year.

Putting you in the shoes of Applebloom -- a beginner Cutie Mark Crusader on the trail of finding her own purpose -- MLP tosses players into a third-person action/adventure/puzzle-solving/stealth homage to the horror movies of yesteryear. Applebloom takes on zombies, explores ancient forests, searches water wells and solves crate puzzles using the most basic of clues on her path to unearthing the secrets of the Everfree Forest alongside her book-chomping girl friend Twilight Sparkle and tribeswoman Zecora.

MLP does what few titles manage -- it completely immerses you in its experience. From the moment the game begins with a sweeping title screen move through the plains of Ponyville, MLP will have you hooked. It'll maintain that hold with its story, style and gameplay.

But the way the inconclusive ending is set up obviously means they have DLC in the making for this. "If you want to finish the game, buy this expansion pack!" sigh. I already downloaded flash to play your game, what else do you want????

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dark Phoenix said:
I expect a certain amount of professionalism with games that are made nowadays. Especially for ones for such notable series as MLP. Obviously this shows the lack of the creative spirit when it comes to "fan" projects. If you aren't at least getting to HD with projects like these it's not worth looking at.

Hasbro just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Brony culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Nintendo where you can become successful by being cheap. If you screw the graphics with MLP, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Brony market, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase MLP:FiM:SotB for PC, nor will they purchase any of Hasbro's toys. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Hasbro has alienated an entire market with this move.

Hasbro, publicly apologize and cancel MLP:FiM:SotB for flash, or you can kiss your business goodbye.

How About No said:
But the way the inconclusive ending is set up obviously means they have DLC in the making for this. "If you want to finish the game, buy this expansion pack!" sigh. I already downloaded flash to play your game, what else do you want????

Back in my day we called DLC unlockables, or cheats, or secrets. I hate this fucking generation.

burningranger said:
I didn't realize you were kidding. My bad.
It's cool.

If you read my previous posts I was talking about how the lower quality graphics (8-bitness) added to the overall experience/creepiness of the game.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
I just drank some White Russians while watching The Big Lebowski for the umpteenth time.

Any Lebowski/Pony crossovers out there?

Narag

ahoyhoy said:
I just drank some White Russians while watching The Big Lebowski for the umpteenth time.

Any Lebowski/Pony crossovers out there?
ns6AY.jpg

t2CcS.jpg

All I know of!

The only thing that bummed me out about that flash game, is that it's probably as close as I'll ever get to my dream Deadly Premonition style Friendship is Magic game. It's even got Sokoban in it!

I think I've posted about this before, but I seriously think an open world style game with that basic format, with a focus on the town as a community would work well. It would allow you to interact with the fairly large cast of NPCs, and side quests could incorporate different types of activities (Magic, Flying, Athletic.

As for plot, it wouldn't have to be horror, but I think figuring out a mystery in a close knit town would work fine.

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
G-Fex said:
Day 30 - Pony gaf talks and blabbers on about fluttershy being cutest and stupid pony stuff.

Day 45 - Pony-Gaf again argues about humanized ponies, this time ending not so friendshiply

Day 65 - More fighting occurs within the pony gaf thread, leading to cancellations of Synctubes due to more fighting and arguing, people being put on ignore lists and finally the thread being locked.

Day 94 - OT2 is finally made after season 2 begins, but Pony gaf is so broken up the thread doesn't past 2 pages and finally pony gaf dies out not with a roar or fighting off trolls but with a hushed whimper.
Wait, what date are you counting from?

Regulus Tera said:
It's been a rough year for PC owners. Exclusives have been lost, a handful of titles have been bumped from the bottom line-bolstering holiday season, and Angry Birds ubiquity is a sore reminder of social gaming. With each disappointment, more and more fans have looked to My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Story of the Blanks -- a title whose screenshots have been lauded for months -- to be the saving grace of 2011.

But pinning so much on one title pretty much guarantees a letdown, doesn't it? Can Donitz live up to more than a year of mouthwatering coverage and placate fans who forked over $600 to see stellar title after stellar title come out on non-PC platforms?

Yes. Yes, it can. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Story of the Blanks is the most fun I've had in a videogame this year.

Putting you in the shoes of Applebloom -- a beginner Cutie Mark Crusader on the trail of finding her own purpose -- MLP tosses players into a third-person action/adventure/puzzle-solving/stealth homage to the horror movies of yesteryear. Applebloom takes on zombies, explores ancient forests, searches water wells and solves crate puzzles using the most basic of clues on her path to unearthing the secrets of the Everfree Forest alongside her book-chomping girl friend Twilight Sparkle and tribeswoman Zecora.

MLP does what few titles manage -- it completely immerses you in its experience. From the moment the game begins with a sweeping title screen move through the plains of Ponyville, MLP will have you hooked. It'll maintain that hold with its story, style and gameplay.
I call moneyhat shenanigans.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I like Celestia. She's so awesome. I just hope she won't get that huge mane and tail tangled on the kart wheels.

vuaYN.png

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
AdawgDaFAB said:
Like an Animal Crossing type game? Sure. I think that has been mentioned a few times as an ideal genre for a FiM game.

No, not something cutesy and easy like that.

I mean actually managing a city as a president... or in this case, a Mare-yor.

OMG Aero

The best pony game would be a version of Persona 4. The game starts with the first two episodes and then Celestia gives Twilight a year to research the magic of friendship (Complete social links) but instead of jumping into TVs, dungeons take the place of various episode plots (One dungeon could be the mountain in Dragonshy, the swamp in Feeling Pinkie Keen, etc). In order to get the best ending, you have to max out all the main character's social links.

Man, now I just made myself sad that this game will never exist.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I love all of the Pony Kart images and would play the heck out of that.

Also I would kinda dig an action heavy, casual friendly, couch co-op RPG with the main cast. They'd have each element of harmony as the classes and do lots of silly quests for Ponyville and in the forest. Also, plenty of banter!

Spike is the loot mule.

The best pony game is the one we're actually getting, the fighting game.

Seriously, if it's not a fighter, I'm not sure why people even bother.

Nishastra

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Spike is the loot mule.
How ironic, considering he's the only one who can't carry saddlebags :p

Though he does have pockets.

Master Milk said:
The best pony game is the one we're actually getting, the fighting game.

Seriously, if it's not a fighter, I'm not sure why people even bother.
Because other games are good too :p

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Nishastra said:
How ironic, considering he's the only one who can't carry saddlebags :p

Though he does have pockets.

Because other games are good too :p
Upgrade those saddlebags for larger pack space! I guess I had Spike in mind as a Torchlight style thing.

Nishastra

Banned
Thnikkaman said:
Upgrade those saddlebags for larger pack space! I guess I had Spike in mind as a Torchlight style thing.
He wouldn't even have to run to town. Twilight just has to reconfigure his belch-port to go directly to some shop :p

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
OMG Aero said:
The best pony game would be a version of Persona 4. The game starts with the first two episodes and then Celestia gives Twilight a year to research the magic of friendship (Complete social links) but instead of jumping into TVs, dungeons take the place of various episode plots (One dungeon could be the mountain in Dragonshy, the swamp in Feeling Pinkie Keen, etc). In order to get the best ending, you have to max out all the main character's social links.

You just know that whoever would make this game, would include heavy shipping. :p

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Nishastra said:
He wouldn't even have to run to town. Twilight just has to reconfigure his belch-port to go directly to some shop :p
It would be an interesting way for Princess Celestia to send/receive quests.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
RPGs are overrated! We need more simulation, especially the city type, and not a small scale one either!

Myke Greywolf

Ambassador of Goodwill
Nishastra said:
Well, there's about the right female to male ratio for a normal one, but who the hell would the player character be?
Selphin Sirt, the mysterious genre-undefined new pony in town, of course.

Nishastra

Banned
Of course.

If it's Twilight, then it can be a "friending sim" where you just play out the first episode of the show. The plot is perfect.

You just moved to a new school town and there's all these unusual new people who you then try to become friends with. Though that's kind of backwards... to be accurate, you have to try to avoid becoming friends with them but fail in the end.

Nishastra said:
Of course.

If it's Twilight, then it can be a "friending sim" where you just play out the first episode of the show. The plot is perfect.

You just moved to a new school town and there's all these unusual new people who you then try to become friends with. Though that's kind of backwards... to be accurate, you have to try to avoid becoming friends with them but fail in the end.
I have no idea why you think it's necessary to change it from a dating sim to a friending sim, at all.

Nishastra

Banned
I'm just trying to stay true to the show.

I don't recall Twilight courting anyone, ever :p

If she did, I bet there'd be an awful lot of books involved.

Narag

tiff said:
It'd be sorta like the premise of The World God Only Knows, only with books instead of dating sims.
I think lauren Faust liking the seniorpony ilovebooks comic says enough!

I would love to play a SimEquestria or Theme Equestria but I don't think Will Wright cares about that stuff any more, and Peter Molyneux is off making games I don't want to play.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Myke Greywolf said:
Wait, what date are you counting from?

I call moneyhat shenanigans.

Also, the more I think about it, the more I like Celestia. She's so awesome. I just hope she won't get that huge mane and tail tangled on the kart wheels.

vuaYN.png
I would buy this... assuming it played well.

Now I want a MLP FiM Mario Kart SNES ROM hack, lol.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Nishastra said:
Of course.

How about a mystery horror game? Like people end up being killed at night time and you have to solve those crimes by entering a parallel world or some shite.

And during daytime you hang out with Funky Student and Mysterious Fox.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Pony Rangers!

(Click for full-size)

OMG Aero said:

This would be the best thing ever. I wouldn't mind a Pony RPG or some sort of TellTale style adventure game either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom