• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Myke Greywolf said:
Yeah, there were several shots in that episode that were different from the "standard" poses/animations, and many of those came out strange. I blame it on some inexperienced artist. The only thing that prevents me from thinking that this was an outsourced episode, is that one of the animation artists recently posted a "scene evolution" clip on Youtube containing a small scene from this episode, and that animator seems to be based in America.
According to this interview and its followup, episodes 2, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 21, 22, 24, 25, and 26 were animated in-house at Studio B. I've noticed that the biggest problems with the episodes done by Top Draw are the strange poses they get when they go off-model. In episodes that mainly stay on model (Suited For Success), the animation is generally as good as a Studio B job. It's when they frequently go off-model that errors pop up. In "Cutie Mark Chronicles," most of Rainbow Dash's flying scenes look a little...strange.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
The (good) alternate ending to Cupcakes

AdawgDaFAB said:
Ah, when did you change your avatar chip? Just noticed that.
AdawgDaFAB said:
Hahaha. I don't know man, that pancake doesn't look pleased that it is about to be eaten.

Also:
AdawgDaFAB said:
Ah, you are right. I thought it was :| at first. So is the pancake there a masochist or something?

Luna does not approve of this violence against pancakes.

Pz5Idm.jpg

Pandaman said:
somewhere, pankaks is furiously masturbating

gTUoul.png

Darte

Mind blowing Information Below

Watch the Cutie Mark chronicles. Go to Rainbow Dash's scene just as shes about to sonic rainboom.

Freeze frame as she is going down towards the ring of cloud. Look at her...

mind = blown!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Darte said:

Watch the Cutie Mark chronicles. Go to Rainbow Dash's scene just as shes about to sonic rainboom.

mind = blown!
coudnt just take a screenshot?

Was that one of the episode animated by a different team? It looks really different overall in many parts compared to the other episodes.

Edit: NVM Just checked episode numbers and yup looks like it was.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
As I mentioned earlier, 14 of the 26 episodes (including the Cutie Mark Chronicles episode) were animated overseas by Top Draw Animation. Most of the time it turns out fine, but the majority of that episode used unusual filly models. They did a pretty good job, but there is something off about it.
Darte said:

mind = blown!
Yeah, that's another sign of a low budget production—reusing animation. I noticed that she changed into adult Rainbow Dash during that scene, but I never knew that she still had her #15 tag on as well.

Quinnjaminn

Neo Member
Thanks Adawg and everyone else! Oh, and I just found a link to an official MLP youtube page on their facebook page. It's nothing special, without anything specifically catering to bronies, and it uses that horrendous clipart of the mane six. However, their upload of the intro is the alternate version found on the Hub website. I think that it's an older version, and it's interesting if you haven't heard it before.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
So apparently, someone tried to place all the season 1 episodes in chronological order. He makes some interesting arguments, mainly using weather.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Pankaks said:
So apparently, someone tried to place all the season 1 episodes in chronological order. He makes some interesting arguments, mainly using weather.

Thinking too hard....

Orcastar

Quinnjaminn said:
Thanks Adawg and everyone else! Oh, and I just found a link to an official MLP youtube page on their facebook page. It's nothing special, without anything specifically catering to bronies, and it uses that horrendous clipart of the mane six. However, their upload of the intro is the alternate version found on the Hub website. I think that it's an older version, and it's interesting if you haven't heard it before.
They should just go ahead and upload all the episodes of season one in 1080p instead of random clips, though I'll give them props for having the Flutterguy version of Evil Enchantress there. Just hope this doesn't mean they'll start taking down all other channels that are hosting full episodes...

Quinnjaminn said:
However, their upload of the intro is the alternate version found on the Hub website. I think that it's an older version, and it's interesting if you haven't heard it before.
Whomever they have in charge of the Youtube channel (or supplying content to it) should be sacked, fired, AND banished to the moon for uploading a video without left-channel audio. It just screams "I don't care" on their part.

The "ahh ahh ahh ahh" buildup sounds very strange. I'm glad they changed it to what we have now.

EDIT: I just looked at the Youtube page. -1 for not putting up a 720 version of Equestria Girls, +1 for putting a white Celestia graphic on the page and not a pink one. The entirety of the background image is pretty spiffy, too.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Adelor Lyon said:
Whomever they have in charge of the Youtube channel (or supplying content to it) should be sacked, fired, AND banished to the moon for uploading a video without left-channel audio. It just screams "I don't care" on their part.

The "ahh ahh ahh ahh" buildup sounds very strange. I'm glad they changed it to what we have now.

Oh, someone getting banished.... Probably already happened.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOP3BhQjlzQ

Bakphoon

Adelor Lyon said:

And now we have found the version the German dubbers used as reference for their intro :)

Calpain

OMG Aero said:
Does anyone know if it's been mentioned if season 2 will have a new intro? I think I heard that the song would be the same, but that shot looks like it would fit right in at the end of a new intro sequence.

Only thing I have heard concerning changes to the intro is from Ingram who said he is doing a slightly different mix of the theme song. As far as I know nothing else is changing for it other than that.

He also mentioned there is a longer version of So Many Wonders, but it had to be cut to fit into the episode. Hopefully if there is a soundtrack we will be able to hear it.

As for the animation discussion going on, it sounds like season two is mainly being animated by Top Draw chiefly because Studio B is swamped with work now that they have picked up animation for Pound Puppies as well. While I agree with the arguments saying how some of the animation looks weird in certain episodes Top Draw has done, I never really noticed these oddities until the episodes were put under scrutiny.

Adelor Lyon said:
http://i.imgur.com/j5vbs.gif[IMG]
FGSFDS. When the show's graphics and logos get plastered on commercials like this, it makes me embarrassed to try to explain to others that I enjoy the show.[/QUOTE]
Exactly! It's horrifying to say the least! If it was just a crappy commercial w/out being tied to the show then I wouldn't really care. Another horrible one many probably already saw is the balloon thing.

OMG Aero

Orcastar said:
They should just go ahead and upload all the episodes of season one in 1080p instead of random clips
But then that would undercut the sales of the Blu-Ray that they are totally going to do.
I can still hope :(
Calpain said:
As for the animation discussion going on, it sounds like season two is mainly being animated by Top Draw chiefly because Studio B is swamped with work now that they have picked up animation for Pound Puppies as well. While I agree with the arguments saying how some of the animation looks weird in certain episodes Top Draw has done, I never really noticed these oddities until the episodes were put under scrutiny.
The only parts of the show where characters looked flat out weird to me were Rainbow Dash at the end of Cutie Mark Chronicles that I posted above and when Twilight hits the wall in Feeling Pinkie Keen.
yliqF.jpg

Outside of those two episodes, I couldn't tell you which ones were animated in-house and which were outsourced.

OMG Aero said:
Outside of those two episodes, I couldn't tell you which ones were animated in-house and which were outsourced.
Normally I'm the same way, but the flashback episode just had all kinds of weird feeling to it's look / animation that something felt off. Besides that, I usually don't notice stuff unless I'm specifically looking for something.

Orcastar

OMG Aero said:
But then that would undercut the sales of the Blu-Ray that they are totally going to do.
I can still hope :(
I'd still buy the hell out of a blu-ray release in any case. Hasbro just better make it region free or I'm gonna find it really hard to love and tolerate them.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Normally I'm the same way, but the flashback episode just had all kinds of weird feeling to it's look / animation that something felt off. Besides that, I usually don't notice stuff unless I'm specifically looking for something.
If someone had asked me yesterday to guess whether Cutie Mark Chronicles was animated by Studio B or Top Draw, I would have guessed Studio B. Yes, the animation had somewhat of a different feel than most episodes, but I would have put that down to stylistic choice rather than sloppiness or lower quality. In fact, overall I think it's one of the higher quality episodes animation wise.

Then again I have to admit that the reused Dash in the sonic rainboom scene is pretty sloppy. I'd probably never have noticed it on my own though.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Adelor Lyon said:
FGSFDS. When the show's graphics and logos get plastered on commercials like this, it makes me embarrassed to try to explain to others that I enjoy the show.

You don't already get embarrassed trying to explain to people that you like My Little Pony?

I mean I had to be drunk and have the power go out to finally try and tell one of my friends.

ZealousD said:
You don't already get embarrassed trying to explain to people that you like My Little Pony?

I mean I had to be drunk with the power out to finally try and tell one of my friends.

Every single friend of mine knows I love the show and either doesn't care, jokes around with me about or it started watching it too. Having nonjudgemental friends rocks ^__^.

Nishastra

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
Every single friend of mine knows I love the show and either doesn't care, jokes around with me about or it started watching it too. Having nonjudgemental friends rocks ^__^.
I've wanted to quote your avatar for ages, and NOW'S MY CHANCE!

stGHj.jpg

Hooray for happy Ashley :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
ZealousD said:

I mean I had to be drunk and have the power go out to finally try and tell one of my friends.

Joke's on you, I have no friends to confess about liking MLP!

Nishastra

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Joke's on you, I have no friends to confess about liking MLP!
Me either!

This is where you go "HAHA I WAS KIDDING" and then I go "ME TOO HAHA ha" and then the studio audience laughs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom